The stone is square

Is there some aesthetic reason why the black stone in 2001 is square?

I get a feeling that they chose this design because it looks like a tomb stone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o__D464kGyY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its a rectangle, doofus.

this

it's the same dimesions as the aspect ratio of the film, we are being enlightened by the film the same way the ape men are enlightened by the monolith

>t. failed elementary school

it is a rectangle, you underage retardo.

its a physical manifestation of a superintelligent computer entity created by mortal aliens

It's a cuboid you dimensionally impaired troglodytes

What would happen if it's a pyramid or a sphere?

it can change any shape or size hence why its nearly as large as a planet when near jupiter and there is one in the moon far larger than this.

Man these jannies are deleting every single fucking thread. These jannies turned the heat up to 100. That's the last youre gonna see of me for a while, I'm gonna get the fuck outta dodge and lay low in a safethread I got over on Sup Forums, while the heat dies down.

No, it's a cuboid you fucking uneducated degenerate. Did you never learn about 3d shapes?

>it's the same dimesions as the aspect ratio of the film
NO, it's not.

>looks like a tomb stone.
No, it looks like a screen, that's why it looks like that. So think about the implications.

it's not a square you shit for brains mongoloid

In terms of aesthetics why don't they use some classical styles? Such as an obelisk or a Greek column?

What period or style does this um....rectangular or cuboid shape belong to?

If it looked man made then it wouldn't have the same effect, faggot

It's a movie screen!

rekt

It's a quadrilateral you dumb cunts

I thought the monolith was a door into human evolution, posing its unnatural shape as a metaphor for man's advancements.

Of course, I just watched it for the first time today and I am retarded.

that's a 2D shape you cock sucking piece of shit

But that shape also looks man made

It's much more primal and heavily hints towards the ancient astronaut hypothesis

How are you people this stupid?

It's an alien artifact which blesses the apes with the intelligence and ability to create tools (in this case they use bones as weapons) which led to domination, succession and evolution.

The whole point of the rectangular shape, colour and shine was to symbolise something unnatural.

Golden ratio

I always thought pyramid is the ancient alien trade mark

I am asking about the aesthetic...I don't know if it's cause or effects...

I mean is there some special effects when you choose that shape?

The obelisk.

You're partially rights its in three dimension and obviously so because it represents our physical spatial dimensions. In the ending sequence david travels to a higher dimension one that's occupied by the aliens that control the monoliths. He is their guest and their speciman. The room he is in is mixed with strikingly clashing furniture to represent the reinaissance and rebirth he will have as the star child but for the context of actual events is because the aliens fucked up the design with modern and old styles and made it really creepy bc their setience is much higher trivial things like that wouldnt register. David experiences a higher dimension bc time is also a dimensionhe sees the future past and present simultaneously. Hes in the fourth or fifth dimension spacetime at least. For humans to ever see the minilith in the first place and start evolving to get to a higher dimension and state it would need to be represented to them in three dimensions or the monkeys wouldnt see it or the humans.

It's a cinema screen.

>that thumb

that's horrible

Because it is unnatural, too perfect to just happen randomly in the nature. That way you know that someone placed this on purpose there

To add also this its unnatural

Ironic its started to de-evolve our minds

You guys are overthinking this. Who cares what the shape is? It's just an alien artifact. They could have made it a sphere or fucking anything.

No spheres are natural due to gravity. Its supposed to be unnatural

Ie if not made by a human by an alien

>You guys are overthinking this. Who cares what the shape is?
Are you familiar with Stanley Kubrick?

Yes planet-sized spheres are natural, where the gravity is actually relevant. You won't find a natural sphere of that size 'due to gravity'.

Watch this you fucking plebes

youtube.com/watch?v=o__D464kGyY

No, it's not.

This

I figured the room represented a renaissance of man and yadda yadda. I didn't take the dimensions into account, though. I figured he went through something funky. That clears up the part I didn't think too much on.

Thanks.

Nice reddit filename lel

Holy shit i hope youre all shitposting or else satan will come for you one day the things supposed to be a movie screen you FUCKING RETARDS

The size is irrelevant drop of water is a sphere, our order.of magnitude is irrelevant. it is specifically straight and edged bc its supposed to be unnatural

and where do you think that faggot in the pic is from?

In the screenplay it was transparent and gave them the idea of both eating meat and using weapons bt showing them such on the surface of the monolith. The scripts super-dank, really makes fun of how basic humanity is.

I know where thae faggot who posted it is from

except a drop of water is held together by surface tension/ dipole attraction. gravity is negligible. this also only applies to liquid bodies the size of a drop of water.

rectangles are also found in nature. look at crystal formations

Yea since he's experiencing time as a physical dimension his shits fucked

This is how you do it nolan you fucking hack

The point was for it to be something very simple and yet very deliberate at the same time.

No it's a quadrangle you fucking subhuman goat fucking nigger

Do you not know what a fucking SQUARE looks like?

Literally go back to kindergarten.

Yes but a large quadrangle is unnatural

So, correct me if I'm reading too much into it, but HAL being a black rectangle also stood out to me during the viewing. I thought it might be a metaphor for the human phsyche forever having the monolith ingrained as a symbol of evolution, which is why the 9000 was so highly thought of as perfect. Its memory blocks being opaque as our foolish thoughts on the understanding of the monolith that blessed us.

You won't find a natural sphere of that size 'due to gravity'.
You could if it were made of incredibly dense matter

Honestly, what is this film even about? I got the parts with HAL and shit taking over the ship, but the scene at the end and of course this opening make no sense to me still. Am I just a plen?

Yes I too think he represents the flawed nature of man and specifically its trust in technology or in this case the monolith. Great analysis I think kubrick designed him based on multiple reasons, that and the panopticon all seeing eye being quite evil

H I
A B
L M

QUESTION:

During the last part of the movie, did the aliens accelerate the passage of time, or David had to live the rest of his natural life in that room?

Read
If you didn't get the last 15 plus min. Also go on youtube there's a video specifically abiut the ending

>Dawn of man, monolith gives them knowledge, crucial for evolution.
>Bone is a tool, gets thrown in the air to emphasize that our tools just got more advanced with the spaceship.
>They find a monolith on another planet.
>Crew goes to planet with HAL.
>HAL won't take being shut down. They got their answer to whether or not it had emotions when it killed everyone off.
>Dave goes to finish the mission.
>Flies through a monolith and can't comprehend the dimensions he's seeing.
>Lands in a room the alien monolith finds suitable for his species and what it has accomplished.
>He goes through life quickly so he can be reborn.
>Monolith appears to rebirth him as another step of evolution, the same way the first one did with the apes.
>He is sent back to earth as a star child, a new advancement.

Is 2001 the greatest film in the "cosmic horror" genre?

It's about man and his dependance on technology to advance, to the point that has become a crutch and dangerous to himself. Dave beating HAL is man saying I don't need this thing to be myself, and his rewards is to evolve into a higher being.

>HAL
>IBM
>Hi lamb
>Lab him

Davis lived it ot but he was experiencing a higher dimension and seeing the past present and future. Time was all fucked up. Look how kubrick cuts it. One moment he's younger looking at himself and the next moment he becomes that older self and ia lookig at nothing. Its all very unnatural because it is

No it hasn't.

Yes.

Also watch on the silver globe. Different type of film

i think it just needed to be a shape that stood out from nature to show its divinity.

Humanity is doomed by overpopulation and ignorance of the many so I'd say its not helping.we are only as good as the average person which now seem to be prone to hivemind bs

from the book:
All the monoliths, though they vary greatly in size, were fashioned to the exact proportions of 1:4:9, the squares of the integers 1, 2, and 3.
This precise measurement ruled out any naturally occurring phenomena, and because the first of the monoliths was placed more than 3 million years ago, humans could not possibly have made them.

>superpowered, incredibly advanced, nigh omnipotent aliens
>they want to create/guide/protect life in the universe
>they do it in the most circuituous, indirect, downright obfuscating way.

Fine movie, but I fucking hate that sci-fi cliche. At least those aliens and their monoliths are nowhere near as bad as the "we control time and gravity and create pocket dimensions and wormholes, but we can't send a simple message" crap in Interstellar.

Who knows why they want to do it just that they can. The ending is creepy. I think its best left as something to wonder about bc that's really all there is to wonder about

I got the feeling that they just liked to watch. Heck, being entertained is a huge part of us as intelligent beings. Why wouldn't a higher being be interested in seeing where things go when they intervene every now and then?

>square

>This precise measurement ruled out any naturally occurring phenomena
That's neato. Similar to Gauss' Pythagorean triangle proposal, making contact with aliens through the universal language of mathematics.

Thanks for the rec user, sounds interesting, will download.

I don't think they want to directly intervene and help humanity, they want us to prove that we're capable of helping ourselves.

Evangelion is a netoriously bad example of that cliche, now that it is more or less canon that the origin of all the problems in the show and movies is basically an ancient alien race seeding life in the universe, and not being particulary good at it.

>ywn travel to Jupiter to get more stupider, but accidentally a star child

It was confisxated for a decade by the polish government and was unfinished but its still quite brilliant and its nature of the final cut goes along with the madness of the film.

There's a second monolith you fucking mouth breather. There's one on earth, one on the moon, and one near Jupiter

In my opinion I would say that slab belongs to modernism.

Which also explains why the artifact is not a pyramid or obelisk or Chinese temple.

It's not only unnatural. It should also be different from all classical styles Earth.

It would be a joke if it's a Greek column which inspired the apes.

Its more like simple geometry. People think the Nazca Lines and Stonehenge are also the work ancient aliens.

That's a sphere, you dimwitted, mongoloid, subhuman, putrid pile of anal discharge.

If it was up to me I would use a white cylinder. It's pretty and has nice shadow and gradient.

It also avoids association with Muslim's black stone

Jews have a black stone, too
So does Satan

I prefer to call it a rectangular prism. It sounds cooler. Cuboid sounds gay.

Was the monolith the first meme?

>Is there some aesthetic reason why the black stone in 2001 is square?

It's unnatural. Nature doesn't work in straight lines or perfect dimensions, but each of the Monoliths ("stone") has absolutely precise dimensions of 1:4:9 (and, according to Clarke, the ratio extends into higher dimensions as well), which indicate they could only have been crafted by intelligent beings.

Not to mention that it's literally a "black box," a great stand-in for unknowable mystery. It's simple and incredibly effective.

This, it's actually mentioned at some point in the movie. The fact that it's square is literally just a sign that it was designed by some higher intelligence.

Thanks for you guys for keep telling me that it's unnatural and intelligent and mysterious.

But I...I just want to ask, is an obelisk or a Greek column less effective?

ITT illiterates (it's explained in the original book)

In the original short story from Clarke "The Sentinel" it was a pyramid or tetrahedron.

The monoliths were abandoned but they were basically autonomous probes. I think it comes up in the third or fourth book when the monolith on europa is damaged.

Yes, because those don't look like a theater screen

1:4:9 is a golden ratio? huh.

> HOW DO YOU KNOW it's 1:4:9

> because i read the fucking book

this movie was boring as fuck, i want it remade with good FX and action scenes

Exactly.
>They were pyramids and stuff in the book. *snort*
Good fucking thing we're talking about the movie, then.

you're not even trying