Hey Sup Forums, I've recently begun learning piano as one of my college classes...

Hey Sup Forums, I've recently begun learning piano as one of my college classes. I really want to start listening to more piano music, partly because I want some inspiration to keep me going when I struggle with classics like "When The Saints Go Marching In" and "Row Row Row Your Boat," and partly because it's a really expressive instrument I barely paid any attention to until now.

The only pianist I really knew of before now was Chick Corea, but I really like his stuff. I can only listen to so many covers of anime OP/EDs (covers of KLK's Blumenkranz are great though). Do you guys have any suggestions, or an infographic I can check out, for piano-centric/exclusive music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qlFT1QGgu6Q
youtu.be/yHY-Cv4YnWE
youtu.be/CfD8embOaHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pEMViAPLyrI
youtube.com/watch?v=wgPh3mSYf0M
youtube.com/watch?v=0tsRu5_pmVo
youtube.com/watch?v=fKfGDqXEFkE&feature=share
youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU
youtube.com/watch?v=M_VCbnqbwwA
youtube.com/watch?v=7l-R-2NYc7w&list=PL0B38408049885B9B
youtube.com/watch?v=YOx710drHnw
youtube.com/watch?v=adPpG0Dnxeg
youtube.com/watch?v=FqrJVjYiGXM
youtube.com/watch?v=cHECZiDs1b8
youtube.com/watch?v=LVI92BgSOzY
youtube.com/watch?v=Gi5VTBdKbFM
youtube.com/watch?v=8as_BN5h5YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hKgcHjq1xKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=wmm1kC_fAaU
youtube.com/watch?v=WwQYnz6WZ2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=bGcEYALnk8s
youtube.com/watch?v=1vDxlnJVvW8
youtube.com/watch?v=7mkLoSqqvq8
youtube.com/watch?v=ezkrkxg536o
youtube.com/watch?v=Q6H6DjPBFOo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I can only listen to so many covers of anime OP/EDs (covers of KLK's Blumenkranz are great though).
How about listening to real piano music.
youtube.com/watch?v=qlFT1QGgu6Q

>How about listening to real piano music.
Why do you think I made the thread?

Thanks for the link though, I appreciate it.

>Why do you think I made the thread?
:) Sorry, I'm a dick from years of Sup Forums and no real friends.
Maybe if you browse the classical threads you will see some good recommendations.

check
Chilly Gonzales you gotta love that weirdo

Debussy

His Images are where it's at.

youtu.be/yHY-Cv4YnWE
This is some fun stuff, thanks user.

Just queued it up on youtube.

It's okay.

Art Tatum
Bud Powell
Bill Evans
Herbie Hancock
Keith Jarrett
Brad Mehldau
David Kikoski

>have regular access to a high-quality Steinway baby grand piano and a recording setup
>use it only to play anime covers on youtube
youtu.be/CfD8embOaHQ

Really activates my almonds.

>high quality
>baby grand

ARRAU

youtube.com/watch?v=pEMViAPLyrI

Chopin, Debussy, Grieg, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff Some of the greatest composers.

Some of my favorites:
Chopin: All his nocturnes. His first ballade. youtube.com/watch?v=wgPh3mSYf0M
Debussy: youtube.com/watch?v=0tsRu5_pmVo
Grieg: Fucking everything. Listen to his piano concerto in A minor: youtube.com/watch?v=fKfGDqXEFkE&feature=share
Beethoven: youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU
Rachmaninoff: youtube.com/watch?v=M_VCbnqbwwA (listen to the second movement, too)

If you want some interpreters: Barenboim, Zimerman, Rubinstein.

You can also listen to Yiruma. His songs are beautiful. Very very simple, so maybe you could try learning one of them when you are a bit more advanced. "River flows in you" is one of the first pieces I ever learned by myself.

youtube.com/watch?v=7l-R-2NYc7w&list=PL0B38408049885B9B

youtube.com/watch?v=YOx710drHnw

Top-tier list right here.
youtube.com/watch?v=adPpG0Dnxeg
youtube.com/watch?v=FqrJVjYiGXM

Epilogue from La La Land.

Damn, this is catchy. I haven't made any plans to see the movie but I might have to now.

Start with these Beethoven piano sonatas: 8 (Pathetique), 14 (Moonlight), 17 (Tempest), 23 (Appassionata), 29 (Hammerklavier), 30, 31 and 32 (no nickname). The last 4 are the toughest ones to understand, listen to them after having memorized and internalized the earlier sonatas I've mentioned.

These sonatas are the most accessible ones by Beethoven. I'm pretty sure that you will often have troubles with his 2nd movements (they're usually mellow, in a major key at a slow tempo), but everything else should blow your mind.
The first sonata imho should be the Appassionata, it's the easiest one to listen to and the 3rd movement will surely catch your attention. Listen to it multiple times, they're somewhat complex and you will miss most of it.

Also keep in mind that they're actual masterpieces and that they've been played extensively by every living classical pianist of the last 200 years, therefore give some slack to him, it will worth it.

youtube.com/watch?v=cHECZiDs1b8
Listen to this, and when you do it don't do anything else. Don't fucking multitask, this is high art, you should devote your entire attention to what you're listening to.

Thanks user, this looks pretty cool.

>Listen to this, and when you do it don't do anything else. Don't fucking multitask, this is high art, you should devote your entire attention to what you're listening to.
I listen to a lot of music and I appreciate the advice but this is my first time trying to listen to or find piano music, not my first time venturing out of the Billboard Hot 100.

I wasn't trying to be patronising, it's just better being safe than sorry.

youtube.com/watch?v=LVI92BgSOzY

Satie-core music

youtube.com/watch?v=Gi5VTBdKbFM

youtube.com/watch?v=8as_BN5h5YQ

youtube.com/watch?v=hKgcHjq1xKQ

youtube.com/watch?v=wmm1kC_fAaU

youtube.com/watch?v=WwQYnz6WZ2Y

youtube.com/watch?v=bGcEYALnk8s

youtube.com/watch?v=1vDxlnJVvW8

Michel Camilo and Thelonious Monk are my favorites for piano

youtube.com/watch?v=7mkLoSqqvq8
youtube.com/watch?v=ezkrkxg536o
and also
youtube.com/watch?v=Q6H6DjPBFOo

i don't listen to classical sorry

Oh I totally forgot about Monk, I listen to him all the time. He's really good. For a while there I thought Corea was the only jazz pianist I knew.

>youtube.com/watch?v=cHECZiDs1b8
>Vladimir Ashkenazy
what did you mean by this?

His Appassionata is my 2nd favourite Appassionata, the first one being the Arrau's one, but honestly most of his recordings are pretty low quality, that's why I linked to him a 1995 Ashkenazy performance.

>Michel Camilo - Caribe
That's some good jazzy stuff.