youtube.com/watch?v=WOYtJqgsZMI
alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Alien_references_in_popular_culture
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>biggest flick of all time
ftfy

its just space pocahontis

>ZERO cultural impact
>barely even referenced at all
I disagree with this. People tend to compare cgi movies with Avatar, who they consider the best movie that used that method.

I still haven't seen it t.bh even though there probably isn't any point to seeing it now

It was an exercise in 3D and motion capture technology, not storytelling.

Remember when people forgot about Avatar? It was me James.

The fuck are you talking about? It started this retarded 3D craze where every movie nowadays is in 3D.

good marketing

That's what butthurt haters actually believe.

Cry more.

>How the fuck did this happen?

Why would anybody cares about blue catpeople?

Maybe if the movie was about colonists sent somewhere, and then some time later an earth military force shows up and disrupts their life?

I don't know. It is hard for people to give a fuck about a movie when the 'good guys' aren't people.

Ok what recent movie has actually made any cultural impact?

>7 years later
>still butthurt about The #1 Movie of All Time that changed the cinema forever

Especially if they were designed to be as marketable as possible.

Batman Begins and Iron Man 1 together have left us with 8 years of ceaseless capeshit.

OP is talking about cultural impact. Just compare it with Alien and how it influenced everything.

Cause a preachy movie on colonialism/military industrial complex derived from other preachy movies on the same subject isn't that big of a deal. Also maybe Cameron will do something more interesting with these sequels that we're still waiting for.

>pathetic russian chmo trying to become the attention whore by saing contrarian things and posting dumb faces in hopes to get (you)s

It was last of the Mohicans in space. It was just visuals but otherwise empty. There's a sequel due, so yeah, you'll get to see your precious smurfcats again

>Waiting for
No one wants sequels, do they?

That depends what you mean by recent

The more memes in the film the better. Thats how you judge film. Avatar has so many memes that it transends cultural memerey and land upon god level art memery

I feel the same can be said of all those big blockbusters post The Dark Knight. Not a single one has had cultural impact. It's all so safe and calculated that it becomes a mirror of current cultural trends rather than becoming a new cultural trend.

Blame focus testing, lowered standards by audiences and social media discouraging risks as everyone is suddenly a critic now.

(you)

>Just compare it with Alien and how it influenced everything.
How?

>It is hard for people to give a fuck about a movie when the 'good guys' aren't people.
District 9.

The new generations will remember Avatar as this
youtube.com/watch?v=WOYtJqgsZMI

>The new generations will remember Avatar
good one

refferences are not exactly the influence but here you go
alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Alien_references_in_popular_culture

Also the influence of Alien can be a topic of scientific research that i will defend some day. but not here

It really is baffling. Personally, I can't name a single character or quote a line. And I think I've seen it twice.

>ZERO cultural impact
no 3d movies since?

I find it ridiculous that fucking Furious 7 is the number 6 highest grossing movie in all of cinematic history. What the fuck kind of cultural impact does that movie have? Absolutely none.

Hell, even Jurassic World just made people remember how great the original JP was instead of leaving a real impact of its own.

Because it's a garbage movie.

Don't be silly. You know what OP meant. The 3D fad is more of a marketing impact than a cultural one. I don't know anybody that actually prefers 3D.

>how
It was the most shilled movie of all time. Plus people got baited with ''revolutionary new technology'' bullshit.
The next one probably won't make half as much

it did help the 3d boom but avatar is pretty forgotten

i remember whne it was released and we had all these headlines about people being depressed because they wanted to live on the avatar planet and shit

>implying butthurt
cry more

You're right. Don't listen to the plebs

>i remember whne it was released and we had all these headlines about people being depressed because they wanted to live on the avatar planet and shit
I remember that too. But now I'm doubting it's credibility. There seems to be absolutely zero fan base for it anymore, what happened to these people that were inexplicably obsessed with it I wonder.

>37 year old flick
>modern

Exactly. Who remembers Furious 7 now? People watched it because it was marketed everywhere and they are familiar with the brand. Same goes for Jurassic World. They go to witness what is already familiar and big shots at the movie studios realize they can't change too much without risking losing the familiarity comfort. And even Star Wars Ep 7 ended up being Episode 4 with some SJW shit added.

This shit won't change until people refuse to watch these over-marketed carefully focus tested rehashes. So this shit will last a good while.

>make a zillion dollar movie
>put sam worthington as the lead actor

what was he thinking

I see that image of the leader of the military forces with a long quote in those humanity fuck yeah threads on tg.

Also it was pretty much a metaphor for the shit we got ourselves into the middle east during that time with iraq and afghanistan.

after obama took over nobody really cared about the political message behind it.

They killed themselves to reach Pandora.
Kinda like Bronies who kill themselves to get to Equestria.

Ok. how is Lord of the Rings for you?

That's the other weird thing. Sam Worthington is the lead role in the highest grossing film of all time and he's still a literal who with no career. How the fuck does that work

fight club
matrix
blair witch project

Fake hype is the new thing. Corporate interests have hijacked social media and have thus managed to create fake fanbases. There is no marketing class today that doesn't teach you how to utilize social media efficiently. And it often comes out as manipulative and dishonest. It's as you say, there probably wasn't any credibility to those articles. All it takes is a few shills on a forum to make it seem like the fanbase has gone nuts.

Hell you can even see this on Sup Forums. How many times haven't there been cases of astroturfing here? Social media is the new shit for corporations. They don't spend half as much energy on billboards as they do on social media.

Because the story was already redone before Avatar.
Why should it have any impact when it does nothing new?

Thank me.

"Modern history" began in 1789 with the French Revolution, at the latest. Many historians actually place the date somewhere in the early 15th century, when widespread use of gunpowder first reached Europe.

"Modern art" was a movement that ended in the 1970s, give or take a decade or so.

If anything, a 37-year-old movie ought to be called "postmodern", along with all the movies since.

Avatar made the most money was because 3D tickets cost twice as much everything else. It didn't really have a bigger audience than most films today.

In other words, you are asking where are the memes?

Pocahontas with alien furries.

Blue alien furries.

Forgettable schlock, it didn't age too well either (seriously, a lot has happened in 7 years the CGI environments aren't impressive anymore)

I'm secretly looking forward to watching the next one in iMax, I'm sure It'll look fantastic

I just noticed the ear stretching.

So they are all degenerates too.

there are millions of alien rip-offs

Good thing you fucks keep mentioning it all the time. Yeah, we know, it's reaaaaly reaaaaly forgotten, nobody remembers it at all.

What are you talking about? It's rarely discussed here. And talking about how small of an impact a movie had isn't the same thing as a movie having an impact. You're a silly goose.

It's the same thing with any popular movie.

People who still think that B.O. means anything else than popularity is a complete retard who should consider setting himself on fire while jumping of a skyscraper after cutting his wrists.

>ZERO cultural impact
Did you miss the eight years where every single movie was rendered in 3D during post production?

Blue Furries wasn't even the first movie in Digital 3D. That would be this. All GI Jimbo did was get more theaters to convert in order to accommodate his fetish fic.

It brought back 3D movies (and they pretty much came back to stay). It's cultural impact was meta and technological, not catchphrase worthy.

based cameron.

Avatar 2 will either be the biggest success for a sequel or the biggest disappointment since X-Men Apocalypse

I personally barely remember it

I imagine it's the same for many others

i """"""missed"""""" abatap

fake abatap pls go

Movies aren't culture...

So? It was Cameron, who made it memetic.

They are a product of culture however. So alien rip offs indicate a shift in the creative thinking of the culture as a whole.

That's because you live in the age of Internet. Memes grow and die every month of so.
>2008
>The Dark Knight is the biggest thing ever
>I'm s-so serious and shit
>2016
>nobody remembers it

it's funny how nobody copies star wars either and that one supposedly made cultural impact

No

the Star Trek reboot copied the pew pew bits to not make audiences go to sleep.

>Nobody copies Star Wars
Almost every space battle ever want a word with you.

Modern cinema started in 1960

It changed cinema forever by making every god damn summer blockbuster into a 3d shitfest. fuck. I hate 3d so fucking much.

>mfw the most relatable character in the movie was the "villain"

Literally every blockbuster is influenced by Star Wars and sci-fi had a resurgence in late 70 thanks to it. Alien and Star Trek are the product of Star Wars success.

>the 3d boom
That was the worst, and that's still around. Every major studio release has a 3D version because of Avatar. Before Avatar, 3D was more of a novelty even when it was better technology.

Christmas is now a primary blockbuster season

Satan is correct.

The impact that Avatar had was purely business related. It made Christmas a major release time, set CG standards, and now every movie is in 3D.

>Star Trek is the product of Star Wars success
Yes, a series that debuted over a decade before Star Wars surely owes its success to it!

>still haven't seen Avatar
>liked that videogame it was based on
Should I see it?

>this is what butthurt haters actually believe

its not the same without him.

If you talk about Alien and legacy, then you have to mention Jodorowsky's Dune, since Alien has been made by Jodo's Alienteam.

also
>movies, comics and cartoons
>popular_culture

It does though. It was cancelled during third season and laid dormant for 10 years. They went with a movie in 79 after Star Wars was a monstrous hit. They've spent a shitload of money on it too and involved ILM. Film series wasn't big success, so it took them some time to start Next Generation and that's where Star Trek hit the cultural zeitgeist and became what it is today.

Because industry people recognize that people didn't go to Avatar to see him. Also he did get work but it was all very mediocre.

The biggest cultural impact Avatar had was the relevance of worldwide, especially Chinese, box office. It made filmmakers realize that a movie that was easily translated to another language and appealed to the people of that country more could bring in huge returns. That was when they first started talking about worldwide box office

TKDR

that was one funny finger family!

>implying it didn't give millions a furry fetish

they just don't go out and advertise it

Just go live in the jungle? wtf

it's gonna be okay

It also heavily affected our pop culture but yes movies are part of culture you retard.

It would be interesting to see what the film would make with regular tickets.

>Forgettable schlock, it didn't age too well either (seriously, a lot has happened in 7 years the CGI environments aren't impressive anymore)
Show me a blockbuster with better use of CGI since Avatar that isn't Gravity.

Yes, but only the Blu-ray.

mad max fury road

the dark fucking knight.