Want to get into jazz

>want to get into jazz
>almost all the great artists have 50+ albums
How do you choose which ones to listen to?

just pick one

I can give you a guide for a certain artist if you're interested.

whichever is the highest rated on RYM

jazz is like oceanography

RYM's composite scores are meaningless, ESPECIALLY when it comes to jazz. If you can find an individual user who has good taste in jazz that would be worth a lot more than the composite score.

Well he didn't say no!

Joe McPhee

This. Pay attention to just some users.

I worded that post poorly I apologize. I meant I know a lot about a certain artist and was offering to give a guide on him.

I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. I fucked up.

like who

Just put them on shuffle, it's not like jazz albums are albums in the sense that rock albums are, just look at them like singles.

Lennie Tristano

No. Not him. Like I said I worded poorly. I'm sorry.

Pat Metheny?

See here.

Lee Morgan?

Sup Forums, help me, I got this LP for free, but I cant find any info about the particular release.

Benny Goodman seems to be a very well known musician, but there's nothing online about this release, only the release that followed it.

Zbigniew Namyslowski?

zappaholic and jazzthreadguy. jazzthreadguy isn't even that great because he doesn't really have very many ratings

jtg wishes he was as cool as swedespammer

Oleo

You're not wrong but this also
hurts my soul in so many ways

You're better off learning to play jazz than becoming a hard core jazz afficondo

make a creepypasta about it

oleo
tenor and fallen angels
nation time
as serious as your life
sonic elements

ACHOO!

ugh.. excuse me.

why dont just play on YouTube first

Uh it really depends on what era you're trying to delve into. Huge distinctions. The greats all floated between various eras but there is going to be at least one landmark release that would give you an idea of what to expect.

From my experience, I've focused more on
Bebop,
Hard Bop,
Modal,
Free Jazz,
Post Bop,
Fusion.

or basically anything past Swing, I personally find it boring as fuck and a lot of it was pop drivel

I could just list off some of my personal favorite artists and representative albums upon provocation.

This. I had 3 years of jazz band way back in high school, (playing the electric bass as a fill in for the double). It instilled a greater appreciation for jazz than listening to it ever could.

ACHOOO!

Gonna add a group called farmers by nature to this list
>craig tayborn
>william parker
>gerald cleaver
Its really good.

it's on there

...fuck.

i got into listening to Miles Davis recently, specifically Bitches Brew, what kinda stuff should I look into that's similar?

more MD fusion, check out On The Corner if you havnt already. youll probably enjoy Mahavishnu Orchestra as well as Tony Williams Lifetime. Basically any fusion work by people who worked with Davis during that time; Chick Corea, Herbie, Bennie Maupin, the list goeth on

Miles Davis from that era
Tribute to Jack Johnson - gets right into that jazz rock, plenty of Mclaughlin
Live - Evil - continuation of the free form spirit of BB
Dark Magus - heavy as fuck, one of my personal favorites

McLaughlin/ Mahavishnu Orchestra
Birds of Fire - Definitely Way more Rock Than Jazz but if you're a fan of the guitar work.

Herbie Hancock

Billy Cobham

Weather Report/ Jaco Pastorius

What
said as well

niggers

Jack DeJohnette, Dave Liebman, Dave Holland, Wayne Shorter

just experience them all my man.

problem?