Is this a good film?

is this a good film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aYzPUa-6BLE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ehhh.... it's alright.

It's great, I love it.

Medium.

Decent action film for the time, even if it was just exploiting the 80s public fascination with japanese culture.

You asked the same question 3 days ago. Just watch it faggot

There are two movies from the 80s that deal with japanese people that I love

Black Rain and Gung Ho

They are so blatant in their "THESE ARE JAPANESE PEOPLE, LOOK AT HOW DIFFERENT THEY ARE FROM US, BUT THEY ARE MORE LIKE AMERICANS THAN YOU THINK" ways that was truly an 80s thing

Rising Sun also did it well, albeit in the early 90s.

Jackie Chan says it's a bad movie stereotyping the Japanese and I take his word for it.

Preferred American Yakuza

Never seen it, but it looks like a movie that would have a killer synthwave-esque soundtrack.

Can add Year of the Dragon to that list with Mickey Rourke.

One of his better films.

China, not Japan tho, but still, they were all treated as "Asian/Oriental", and one hardly makes distinctions today even.

I only like Gun Ho. It's still wrong but at least the Japanese in it aren't creepy as fuck as those in Black Rain and Rising Sun

i was sad when charlie was kill

youtube.com/watch?v=aYzPUa-6BLE

The villain is 10/10 and it's shame the actor died not long after it came out. He basically carries the entire film, the rest is sleepwalking Michael Douglas and Ridley's Blade Runner B-roll.

And Kate Capshaw is just as terrible in this as she was in Temple of Doom. She can't do "smokey" femme fatale" any more then she can do wisecracking buddy.

>killer synthwave-esque soundtrack
Not really, you get some generic 80s pop/rock tracks, Hans Zimmer, and Ryuichi Sakamoto.

That's a weird one. I specifically remember when Mickey's character says "I have actually studies your history of coming here and worked on the railways"

It's like the director has read some Asian American studies

It's all a thing of the past now that both Japanese Korean and Chinese are really there.

Perturbator re-dub when?

The film is too slow paced for that.

I dunno, I have a soft-spot for late 80's-early-90's Zimmer. It's just as hilariously operatic as his other work but not quite as overbearing, it kind of evens out for me.

>Black Rain
>Rising Sun
>Lost in Translation

>It's just as hilariously operatic as his other work but not quite as overbearing
The soundtrack isn't overbearing, and while operatic, the way he incorporated a japenese aesthetic into it just doesn't sound quite right. He did a much better job with Last Samurai.

Obligatory weird Japan

Yes, it's pretty good.

Year of the Dragon is better though.