Is there anything more banal and cringeworthy than 70s-80s soft rock?

Is there anything more banal and cringeworthy than 70s-80s soft rock?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-KT-r2vHeMM
youtube.com/watch?v=QF6xU70O73c
youtube.com/watch?v=RLCGQagBCOw
youtube.com/watch?v=J9I27w8Tuyw
youtu.be/eedm15ZEaEg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

post nirvana grunge rip off trash bands

youtube.com/watch?v=-KT-r2vHeMM

I saw Foreigner at a county fair a few years ago. They put on a damn good show for a bunch of geezers. The one guy was even climbing the stage scaffolding and stuff during one song.

Foreigner [Atlantic, 1977]

You've heard of Beatlemania? I propose xenophobia. C

Double Vision [Atlantic, 1978]

I love rock and roll so much that I find myself getting off on "Hot Blooded", a typical piece of nookie-hating cockrock based around a riff-verse-chord change that's reminiscent of (gah) second-generation Bad Company. Other than that, there's nothing else here to threaten their status as the world's dullest band. C+

Head Games [Atlantic, 1979]

Not as sodden as you'd expect--these guys are pros, and they adapt to the times by speeding up the tempos. I actually enjoy a few of these songs until I come into contact with the dumb woman haters doing the singing. I mean, these guys think punks are cynical and anti-life as they complain about how the world is all madness and lies and then proceed to rhyme "science" with "appliance" without intending a joke. C

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

contemporary pop rap

>Hating on Fleetwood Mac

Ehh, Foreigner are relatively ok. Pic related better represent the theme of this thread.

Foreigner never pretended to be anything but commercial buttrock. The Eagles actually took themselves seriously. Which makes them 10x worse and more insufferable.

God this is bad

Alt rock in the late 90s was so fucking dire

At least hair metal was funny and had cool guitar solos.

REO Speedwagon were the absolute pits among bands from that era. All their album titles were bad puns and they had one, maybe 1-1/2 good songs ever.

AND IT FEELS LIKE THE FIRST TIME
OH, WON'T YOU OPEN YOUR DOOR

Also the first song on their first album. Cool double meaning.

At least these guys had a sense of humor.

lyl I can imagine that was Christgau's face when he first listened to that song.

Foreigner and Journey have a couple fun songs if you flip the "Off" switch on your brain. Eagles are just...no.

imo big love is one of the catchiest song ever
youtube.com/watch?v=QF6xU70O73c

Eagles are way fucking better than Foreigner, end yourself

not OP but I personally can't get into that era of Fleetwood Mac, mostly because the Peter Green era stuff is just aligns way more with my taste

I was at a fair once and some drunk faggot started a fight in the crowd during Keep on Loving You and he stopped the song, and bitched at the guy until he left.
Then he took a joint out of his pocket and gave it to the guy who got beat up lol.

I agree, the early 70s band was a lot more rock and less mompop.

This song is pretty good desu

youtube.com/watch?v=RLCGQagBCOw

>not liking supertramp, fleetwood mac, 10cc, elton john, hall and oates, and crosby stills and nash

plebs

CSN without Neil Young go in the trash.

This songs better than anything neil young has ever done youtube.com/watch?v=J9I27w8Tuyw

Early Foreigner had Ian freaking McDonald as a member. Shame they underused him.

youtu.be/eedm15ZEaEg

Plus they dragged in Thomas Dolby for one of their albums.

>not Desperado, The Last Resort, or Wasted Time

Is she right, Sup Forums?

Crosby, Stills, and Nash [Atlantic, 1969]

Rated by request, I've written elsewhere that this album is perfect, but that is not necessarily a compliment. Only David Crosby's vocal on "Long Time Gone" saves it from a special castrati award. Pray for Neil Young. B+

Stephen Stills 2 [Atlantic, 1971]

Stills has always come on as the ultimate rich hippie--arrogant, self-pitying, sexist, shallow. Unfortunately, he's never quite fulfilled this artistic potential, but now he's approaching his true level. Flashes of brilliant ease remain--the single, "Marianne," is very nice, especially if you don't listen too hard to the lyrics--but there's also a lot of stuff on order of an all-male chorus with jazzy horns singing "It's disgusting" in perfect tuneful unison, and straight, I swear. Keep it up, SS--it'll be a pleasure to watch you fail. C

CSN [Atlantic, 1977]

Wait a second, wasn't this a quartet? D+

Thousand Roads [Atlantic, 1993]

David Crosby lends new meaning to the word "survivor", meaning "if you can't kill the motherfucker, at least make sure he doesn't breed", and until VH-1 got on the revolting "Heroes" video, I'd hoped to never sample this piece of make-work for his rich, underemployed friends. Oh, well. The only thing that could render it more self-congratulatory is a cover of Jefferson Black Hole's "We Built This City". C-

I'll always like Toto

>AND IT FEELS LIKE THE FIRST TIME
The song is eh for the most part but I'd be lying if I said the chorus wasn't killer.

I saw CSNY a few years ago. The other guys were just sitting in their chairs strumming on acoustic guitars while Neil Young was up at the front of the stage headbanging.

Stephen Stills played at my dad's college in the mid-70s. He told some dude who was talking in the audience to shut the hell up. Fucking douche.