Music Discussion General

I guess I'm making this thread just to discuss to path music is taking. What do you think is the general direction music is going nowadays, and what are your predictions about things that will be "In" in the recent future?

I feel soul, and funk are making a come back.

Hip Hop is starting to get a bit stale so it's going to need something like soul or funk revival to make it somewhat interesting again.

I anticipate TLoP and Awaken, My Love! are going to be indicators but I think the sound cloudsphere is too saturated with shitty generic copycat trap/hip hop for that to happen quickly.

>TLoP and Awaken, My Love!
This is exactly my thoughts. Of course Trap music will be around for a while, but Awaken, My Love! and even that dwarf Bruno will take all the grammys this year again, which will accelerate the shift towards funk and soul.

Do you think there will be changes in the EDM community?

Here's my prediction comparing to the trends of music throughout the years.

When a genre starts to get big, for example dubstep. It starts out nice and quiet, then as the years go on people get bored of this sound and try to make it louder and more complicated. But this loudness gets to a point where it becomes exhausting and people lose interest in it.

I believe we will see trap follow the same path. It's only going to get louder and louder, and it already has begun with a lot of main stream artists. Kanye, Tyler The Creator, Danny Brown, etc. And once this sound reaches this loudness peak people will get tired of it and it will repeat, but latch onto a new genre that the internet decides is popular.

trap was shit from the get-go

It's bad and it's only going to get worse because everything people make is subconsciously influenced by being on social media all day. People who pretend it isn't getting worse are just hipster cunts channeling some tastemaker vice.com bullshit who instantly infer racism/rockism in pessimism.

Funk and soul have been grooving along in the background quite happily, not sure it will become mainstream and as popular as it was though.

With technology and the internet and the multiple platforms available, there will just be more of everything and you can pursue your passions and niche regardless as there will be an audience now.

>It's bad and it's only going to get worse
Huh?

I agree, and it's not only trap hip hop. Trap is being used in all genres.

Funk and soul definitely are wiggling their way back into popularity again.

I have a hunch that future funk or something along those lines is going to be the next big thing after trap finally plays itself out

Hmm, I never understood what "future" genre is. Could you give some examples?

I think it's like vapowave, just a more computer based variation.

>Vaporware, a genre made to combat capitalism might actually be the next big thing
W E W L A D S

I said it was like vaporwave in production, not vaporwave is the next big thing, mostly because its fucking awful.

I'm agreeing with you m8. I'm just pointing out the irony. Although in age of dank memes, I feel vaporware might make it big, especially because we will listen to it sarcastically and then it blows up, just like Trump

Let's also not forget Black Messiah

grunge revival

what are your thoughts behind that conclusion?

the art kids at my university played nothing but grunge mixes. Noise stuff also

>the art kids
the art kids tend to run away from anything that shows a glint of becoming popular. As a matter of fact some of them might browse Sup Forums

no not really they play tons of noise tracks mixed with pop vocals

>noise tracks
what are those

mashing up harsh noise with pop vocals
its heavily influenced by what GHE20G0TH1K does

uuhhhhh..... i was talkin 'bout it this weekend... uhh... i think two types of musehc uhh.. in this world are indigenous... are..... the black music: hip hop and which came from europe: EDM/IDM... but uhh.... it looks like... electronic music is getting back to... uhh... it's roots so in four,five years i guess it'll be... uhh.. those two elements and some third thing... that will heavily rely on... uhh... screaming nonesense.... i can kinda envision... maybe... one person doing things on a machine... uhh... another on drums, and uhh.... maybe a negro chimping out...

wtf

wtf

wtf

stop

topkek jimbo, i knew you were reddit all along

future funk (as in the slightly retarded weaboo version of french house) is already declining due to saturation, it is a internet/meme genre and it will never cross over with all the lazy hook sampling made by 15 year olds. the moment it hits mainstream columbia and casablanca records will strip the houses out of those kids lol. plus it became too saturated with that FrankJavcee tutorial. there's literally 1 good song out of 20 posted in boards.

proof: I have a friend that has been doing future funk for 2 years now. his songs used to get 5k-10k sc hits at their peak (his best one has 25k plays). nowadays he is lucky to hit 1k

You're saying it's over saturated, but at the same time it hasn't reached mainstream yet?

>genre full of 1st yr music producers
>ever reaching mainstream

What if Desiigner decides to rap over a future funk beat.

I feel like the "edgy soundcloud rap" is on the cusp of a mainstream breakthrough, I could definitely see lil peep and bones on the cover of XXL next year.

Gotta love the "I have a friend" comments/posts.

Yeah lol, everyone knows that people on Chan don't have friends

That's not what I meant. I just meant to say that saying "I have a friend" is no proof at all, and triying to bolster a claim with that sentence is worthless, ridiculous and makes you look like "that guy" that exists in every bar.

What if he does have a friend?
Care to show some proof?

Then he does have a friend. But just saying it, without any effort to substantiate such claim, has zero value.

OK but ignoring that small statement, do you agree with his general comment?

Partially. Yes, future funk is getting a bit saturated, but its' popularity is not really in decline, imho.