Any time I go to a rock or metal video on YouTube...

Any time I go to a rock or metal video on YouTube, without fail the front page features some incredibe child taking cheap shots at top 40. But when I go to a top 40 video I don't see any of the same hostility.

Why are some rock fans so sad and insecure? Do they not enjoy their music, or something? I get the sense they only listen to this stuff as a fashion statement.

They are kids that listen to something not considered "hip" within the pop culture world. It's bound to happen. Goes away as one ages since the older one gets, the less they care about what is and isn't cool.

Does he mean pits as in armpits or as in a tiger pit or as in the emotional pits of the song on youtube?

>They are kids that listen to something not considered "hip" within the pop culture world.
That's insane. Rock has been part of the established mainstream for decades. It's a multi million dollar industry.

Mosh pit

>Rock has been part of the established mainstream for decades. It's a multi million dollar industry.
That's why I put it in quotations. They are kids, they have a narrower world view where the "it" thing to them feels like mainly just trap hip hop and electro house style EDM.

>That's why I put it in quotations.
I was agreeing with you with emphasis.

How about dudes like coverkillernation, though? They ain't children

Got no clue who he is. If he posts similar shit to OP pic, then he's either got the older dadrocker style delusion going on, or even after growing up he somehow managed to not gain much in terms of self-awareness.

Like idk, yeah I used to do similar shit back in high school, but now me, and really just about anyone else that did that stuff, just feels embarrassed.

He's a music "reviewer". Mostly he just soapboxes about metal's superiority over all and posts really passive aggressive videos about pop albums.

Everyone thinks they have the best taste in music. My sister sits there listening to the most pleb-tier pop crap and tells me and my parents that it's better than what we listen to. Narcissism is a trait in all of us which makes us all look down on the other.

>Everyone thinks they have the best taste in music.
I would love to say that I don't think this, but I probably.

Makes no rational sense, either. I don't play an instrument and know dick about theory. Where do I get off preaching above people who have studied music and been entrenched in it since childhood?

Even keeping that in mind, the people most vocal about this superiority complex appear to be rock and metal fans. I don't see nearly the same amount of bullshit coming from jazz, pop or classical enthusiasts.

Certain types of music attract different fans i think. The edginess of metal and the likes probably attracts younger or more emotionally immature fans. I'm not saying metal is bad but i'm saying the fans are different. I also think certain types of music appeal to us differently. Whereas jazz may just cause aural pleasure and cerebral stimulation, it's not filled with edgy wallowing emotion or lyrics.

Me neither, I like both rock and metal. I wouldn't be exposed to their bullshit if I wasn't put in proximity to them. But I also like other stuff, a position they take as high treason.

To some people the music they listen to is part of their identity. They cling to one style of music and let it define them. But for others like me and you, we just listen to what we like the sound of; it's not about our identity (not for me at least). I think that's the reason for all this posturing.

Jazz and classical fags are the worst about this sense of superiority thing

You'd be more justified to preach than your sister since you actually make an effort to find and listen to new (and more challenging) music

Not gonna lie, I do think of my taste as 'better than most'.

I think you are probably correct because for pretty much any regular on Sup Forums that is the case.
EXCEPT those who just listen to Sup Forumscore exclusively or whatever gets lauded on Sup Forums.

Only on mu
In the real world most classical/jazz realise that pretty much every genre has something worthwhile in it

Not in my experience.

You are right and this is what bother me really a lot. I just can't stand people saying how Taylor Swift is the best musician ever and similar statements. It's okay to say you enjoy listening to her, but in what universe can you call contemporary top 40 artists "the best ever!!1!! :D" And what bothers me is that you can't say to anyone they're wrong since music is a subjective matter and you'll come as a narcissistic douche that doesn't respect others' opinion. But we have to have some criterion of objectivity, otherwise anyone can be called "the best ever!!!" subjectively, no matter how stupid and bland their music is...

Are you kidding? IRL Classicalfags are the fucking worst.

lol no
my friend thinks everything besides jazz/classic is pop shit made to please dumb people

It is a dilemma. I just don't discuss music with other people. I show them some stuff i like if they ask but don't take their opinion to heart.

>JAJAJAJA SOAD COME TO BRAZIL

M A N C H I L D R E N

Why would people complaining about top 40 also watch videos of the top 40

think before you post

>Kanye West
>scrawny

Depends what kind of classical fans they are. If they're autistic STEM spergs that only listen to classical because that's what they're conditioned to do of course they're going to be insufferable about it. But if they're actually in music or the humanities they usually A. like much better classical music and B. have an open mind about almost everything. Unfortunately /classical/ here seems to mostly be populated by the former.

My favorite thing about rockists is how they go on and on about how pop music fans are mindless drones without any sense of irony.

>go to a pop music room on a listen along type site
>play some definitely popular but older/more complex music
>get reactions like "wow this is really cool, just looked them up, don't know how I missed these guys, thanks for the rec!" even though I played it in between two incredibly simple modern pop songs (which I also liked incidentally)
>go to a rock room and play ANYTHING but dadrock or overproduced grunge/pop-punk I get "dude wtf is this this isn't rock SKIP!"

> current year
> whining about le rockists maymay
baaaaaaaaack to /r/lewronggen