LONDON 2012

So, really, what did the world think of our Olympics? The story pushed by the BBC was that everyone loved them (bar China) and they were a huge success. Were they?

>youtu.be/dI-6-n-4Xok
Blur's beautiful performance at the end

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19238284
reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-tickets-idUSKCN10T1Z6
ibtimes.co.uk/2012-london-olympics-empty-seats-fiasco-locog-368064
telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9419017/London-2012-Olympics-Armed-forces-to-be-given-free-tickets-by-grateful-Games-organisers.html
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180579/Olympics-2012-Row-row-seats--tickets-sent-foreign-VIPs-black-market.html
theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/29/olympics-empty-seats-locog-army
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah I loved them also my first summers on Sup Forums.

The opening was a multicultural mess but in terms of operations it was pretty good compared to Rio.

Beijing did set the bar pretty high though.

It was very good.

It held the most monumental Paralympic games ever, and it was very good at making the British people not feel shit about our country anymore. Definitely contributed to Brexit.

GOAT OLYMPICS

All the previous olympic games were great compared to the farce thats going on in Rio right now.

The opening was ridiculous beyond comprehension, but apart from that i kept a nice memory of it, mostly for personal reason and because as a swimming fan, i had a great time watching our team.

Then it's just olympics, as long as you can enjoy the different sports in decent condition, and maybe have some drama and nice stories, there's no huge differences between Bejing, London or Rio.

>It held the most monumental Paralympic games ever
This. That's probably why it would be remered as good games, and that's where you can spot the first country from the othters. What is happening in Rio with the Paralympics is an absolute shame.

I thought it was 9/10. Opening thing started fucking brilliantly then went way downhill, >muh NHS, multiculti shit, le internet, BLACKED stuff

the nhs bit was fucking embarrassing really, showing how proud we are of one of the worst functioning aspects of the State in the country that we treat with religious fervour

anyway, it was very well organised I thought. Can't really say much more desu

+ crowd attendance
+ organisation
+ locations
+ Industry part of opening ceremony
+ James Bond sketch
+ Closing ceremony

- repulsive logo and branding
- 3/4 of opening ceremony was awful
- creepy and ugly mascots
- weather was meh most of the time
- ugly stadium

Overall 7/10. Beijing was way better.

they weren't bad but were overshadowed by how good beijing, sydney and even athens were, london is lucky that rio was a complete and utter shitshow because now they'll be remembered as better than they really were

Ensured Rio wouldn't stand a chance in comparison.

I don't think Beijing was any better mind you. I'd put them on par at best.

I've never seen anyone other than Sup Forums say that the opening ceremony was bad.

Fair point about rio being shit but if you don't think beijing was much better then you are just being delusional.

London 2012 has been voted overwhelmingly by competing nations as being the best in recent decades.

I loved them because it was my first olympics on Sup Forums, I can't be objective.
Compared to Rio, the other ones i'm watching with Sup Forums: Much, much better. Rio should have never host an event like this. Especially the crowd is horrible and you can't feel the olympic atmosphere.

>the industrial revolution London 2012 opening ceremony was 4 years ago

Still the best segment of an olympic opening ceremony of all time. Too bad the rest sucked ass.

Not everyone thinks Rio is bad. The media give it allot of shit. Most stuff seems to be going fine.

I thought we did alright. The opening was cringe though

Great stuff.

Comical, comfy, and clever. It's what I expected. I remember them fondly

beijing was shit. awful crowds, smog, fake singers, boring games

went a bit overboard with the satanic illuminati rituals, but other than that was pretty good

90% of the Opening Ceremony was cringe-inducing after the Industrial Revolution; I was sure Brits were facepalming just as hard as we were for the Atlanta shitshow in '96.

But other than that the Games themselves were fantastic. Some really neat venues and great crowds at most of the events. London and Beijing definitely are the two that stick in my mind the most.

In terms of the Games themselves they were great, and the Paralympics set a new standard. So far I've really enjoyed Rio in terms of the action.

People still talk about Beijing today and it put them on global stage.

The only thing I remember of London was some healthcare shit and some rapper in Yankees hat.

It was good but I remember very few things apart from bolt, Phelps and team usa basketball

>boring games

- prime phelps
- prime bolt
- that german weightlifter who lost his wife and won the gold

No

>rio being shit
This simply isn't true. All the media apocalyptic articles didn't turn to be true
>water
>zika
>getting shot
There was a handfull of people having security problems and that's it.

wait why did China not like London?

theres no crowds, looks like a high school track meet, fucking pathetic. your country never should have gotten the games, i lost all interest in the olympics because of rio.

If Beijing is a 10 then London is a high 7 and Rio is a mid 6.

woah, dude. that's a lot of butthurt, huh?

I was buttblasted in the closing ceremony when they had that great segment where the crowd interacted with a recording of Freddie Mercury, but then they brought out some literal who singer to do the actual song with the rest of Queen.

Why didn't they just continue with the Freddie recording REEEEEEE

London was pretty awful, especially with the political garbage they tried to push at every turn.
It looked even worse having to follow Beijing.
Execution was average, presentation was garbage.

I legitimately didn't think it could get much worse than London... until Rio. You limey fucks got so lucky that you have the contrast of this shitshow to be compared to, because you look straight up average now.
Next Olympics got even luckier with the bar set so low. As long as no athlete gets robbed it'll be perceived as above average.

I think you mean Beijing and Sydney.

kek, London received worldwide critical acclaim. But some Yank on Sup Forums wasn't happy.

This is simply not the reason we shouldn't have gotten the games. Foreign media scaremonging ppl from coming had a heavy hand on empty stands and you can't expect Brazilians paying to watch meme sports when brazilians aren't competing.

the opening ceremony was cringeworthy shit but the venues were 10/10 GOAT

the olympics should be in London every time tbqh

meanwhile we might not actually have paralympic games here

It was loved.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19238284

Well, paralympic games are a meme anyway.

Why did they put a nigger in ancient britain?

I hope you get hit by a bus.

That emblem was so shit

Japan has spoken.

London was pretty good but didn't compare to Beijing. A bit overrated. Athens was better too.

In 2020 a thread will be made comparing London to Tokyo.

It'll be synonymous with a Nokia 3210 and That latest Samsung curvy thingy majigy that's out now.
cap it.

Second best modern games after Sydney

it was pretty cool. I think basically every olympics are a success for the viewers

t. Fu Zhang

What hell had happened to the white australian and canadian posters they seem to all shill for china

of course it did you idiot. who do you think was behind the push for all the multicultural and political shit?

spoiler: it's the same globalist shills that gave you that critical acclaim

back to Sup Forums my friend!

London was still better than the soulless bejing olympics

This
Lots of my friends thought of Britian as a White Island with immigrants like Boston

there's lots of reasons you shouldn't have gotten the games. i just mentioned the one that has affected my entertainment the most.

Sorry Mahmoud facts are facts. Beijing was an all time great olympics.

I'm 40 years old and everything was blah at best except for:

Barcelona (1992 Summer Olympics)
Lillehammer (1994 Winter Olympics)
Beijing (2008 Winter Olympics)
South Africa (2010 World Cup)

i did also appreciate France Euro 16, but mostly because ESPN did such a great job showing off how great it was...had we had that level of great 2016-caliber coverage on previous events it would have made them look better as well

Only event that made me lower my opinion on a city was Rio 2016 (note: i hear São Paulo is actually a great city compared to Rio from all my friends that have visited both)

you're old

i BTFO'd this guy so hard it killed the entire thread by proximity

>winter olympics in 2008

just go and watch the Beijing opening ceremony again

that shit was pure art

the dude on the piano at the end was admittedly weird but the rest of it blew every other Olympics out of the water

I thought it was excellent apart from the branding and logo. It's such a typically British thing to try and push the boundaries on design like that and end up with something shit. But the important stuff around the actual Games was excellent.

As a Londoner it made me very proud of my city. There was a lot of talk prior to the Games that the city was not capable of organising an event like the Olympics. I remember we were all talking about how the Tube would choke up, how there would be terrorist attacks, the possible problems of travelling between venues.... but it all worked out

Shit. Rio 2016 is much MUCH better.

>(2008 Winter Olympics)
>2008
>Winter
You senile old fuck, put that other foot in the grave for us.

OP don't you think it's rude to talk about the London Olympics while Rio is still going?

fucking terrible, ugly Olympics, ugly women, ugly island, ugly people, ugly food.

London olympics were amazing. Britain really went full out on expenses it was amazing.
The opening ceremony was the most amazing opening EVER.

Why did china hate it?

this

Even the dumbest shit like women's 10m air rifle heats was sold out

The opening and closing ceremonies were objectively trash.

The games themselves were a huge success, with great atmosphere and impeccable organisation.

Say what you want about them but every event was fucking rammed to the rafters and there was a real vibrancy about them. I have fonder memories of the Sydney olympics personally which had a bit more charm to them, and maybe there's personal bias there because I would rather watch sports at 3AM than 3PM, but how anyone can say London wasnt a great or even good Olympics is beyond me.

Also Athens was a load of shit, what the fuck are some of you talking about? It was halfway as bad as this farce we're watching now, but obviously Rio is in a league of its own for making a complete fucking balls of an Olympic games. How organisers cant fill an empty 20K seats or so in the olympic stadium every night is beyond me, give the tickets to anyone, it looks like an absolute joke on TV.

>How organisers cant fill an empty 20K seats or so in the olympic stadium every night is beyond me, give the tickets to anyone, it looks like an absolute joke on TV.

the huemonkeys gave 280k away to little chimps and 55% didn't get used

reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-tickets-idUSKCN10T1Z6

he's not completely wrong

you could say... he's completely right.
I don't know anyone who would choose London/UK as the place they want to go pick up pretty women, have an island vacation, meet some bros, or discover great cuisine.

They gave them to the local niggers who tried to sell them on

That's because no one you know has left their trailer park.

London has the best restaurants in the world, aside from perhaps Tokyo. Most of the supermodels in the world live there. If you're the sort of person who wants to "meet some bros" then you probably wear shorts for things other than exercising and think energy drinks are good.

Opening ceremony was a load of shit

>muh NHS

The opening ceremony was one of the worst things I have ever seen. Aside from that it was excellent, but that ceremony was fucking horrific.

Can you imagine watching that with no prior knowledge of the UK?

>they were hobbits, for about thirty seconds
>then black people started the industrial revolution
>that stopped
>then they founded the NHS
>this saved the world
>the entire nation travels by red bus

>cant fill an empty 20K
Plenty of reasons
>horrible time to hold the olympics
It's winter, people are working, breaks only happen in june/july and january/february
>horrible ticket system
>volunteers not allowed to watch even after not filling everything
>armed forces weren't used to fill stands like in London
>foreigners didn't come at all
>sponsors didn't use their tickets
>Brazilians don't like meme sports when brazilians aren't competing and even then, only when they have a chance of gold or are exciting underdogs (water polo for example)

yet still manages to be the shittiest city in the UK

>armed forces weren't used to fill stands like in London

Something like 75,000 troops were based in the UK as a whole for the Olympics. Many more were based around the world. Unless you had soldiers with leave come from every garrison in the country, you couldn't fill the Olympic stadium.

China did that, we didn't.

>britretard who probably lives in a 50sqm flat with 2 roommates or with still with his family in their 100sqm mansion talking about trailer parks
>implying that having a high percentage of a very specific and small class of attractive woman (most of which aren't british) says anything about the quality of your women in general
>likewise claiming [falsely]] to have the best restaurants in the world says anything about the quality of your food in general
No one in their right mind thinks to themselves "let me go for some curry in london" over places like Italy, Spain, France, etc.
(btw there's at least a half dozen major cities with better high end restaurants too)

And frankly, I do wear shorts because it's fucking hot here and I have enough money to not have to pretend to conform to anyone else s expectations :^)
Energy drinks taste like piss though, so you get half a point there Nigel.

tip top m8.

MUH DIVERSITY

ibtimes.co.uk/2012-london-olympics-empty-seats-fiasco-locog-368064
telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9419017/London-2012-Olympics-Armed-forces-to-be-given-free-tickets-by-grateful-Games-organisers.html
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180579/Olympics-2012-Row-row-seats--tickets-sent-foreign-VIPs-black-market.html
theguardian.com/sport/2012/jul/29/olympics-empty-seats-locog-army
>"Thousands of armed forces personnel who have been drafted into securing the Olympic Games at the last minute may be issued with free tickets to fill empty seats"
>"Television images showed half-empty stands at events such as gymnastics, tennis and swimming - prompting accusations that Lord Coe, chairman of organising body Locog, has reneged on his promise to allocate unused corporate tickets to the general public."
etc, etc, etc...

The olympics ceremony was alright, the industrial revolution bit was cool with the rings, Mr Bean, other bits and bobs
But the NHS, voldemort etc was pretty cringe...

why don't you read what you posted
>More than 50 soldiers took seats at the North Greenwich Arena on Sunday morning when they were left empty by the "Olympic family".
50 seats! Oh no!
Literally every event at Rio has at least half the seats empty.

city faggots are the worst.

some posh cunt i know that could kill a small country with his wallet moved to the country cause there were too many nonwhites in the city

Who says Beijing is a 10? London was much better