/daily/ - "ghosts of old trips" edition

Close your windows before they get in!

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on less abnormally fast moving /daily/: (Cross-thread)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HcGYcAOewoc
youtube.com/watch?v=DD9_p71SvwA&list=PLWaWrINc5gW_tBU9fRq8a7jOBy8vFyYEo
ourfirst100days.bandcamp.com/track/royko
youtube.com/watch?v=mu5hlA0IT9k
youtu.be/jaLPGho2EI0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

for the ghosts

posting some ghostcore

*haunts*

forgot link
youtube.com/watch?v=HcGYcAOewoc

Goddamn Songs Ohia so many great songs but most the albums are so uneven

don't scare me like this you motherfucker some people have weak hearts (not me) you know fuck

>Ascension eh
how about i eh you huh?
its at least a mhm

ghost tropic and protection spells are probably his most consistent

*rattles*

You're probably right about Ghost Tropic, he actually comits to the style there instead of kinda half assing it a little. Too much of his work relies on minimalist folk songs but not too minimalist hitting a spot where typically about 1/3rd to 1/2 the album ends up working really good while the rest is just a bore snore cause the melodies aren't quality enough to pull through the style.
Don't think I heard Protection Spells, is it any good?

who is this and what is he playing?

youtube.com/watch?v=DD9_p71SvwA&list=PLWaWrINc5gW_tBU9fRq8a7jOBy8vFyYEo
mr bones playing a xylophone

So is /daily/ reviewing music or is it still more of a giant circle jerk? Because I'm thinking of coming back and wondering if it is worth the effort.

It's worse than ever
heck, be lucky you got away from it

nothing in life is worth the effort so why care

something something stirner something skeleton meme im a ghost

now this is a top tier meme

the game this spook comes from btw is a really tip tier game played the shit out of it as a kid highly recc'd

this is so true its actually kinda nuts not gonna lie

Seems like it

Effort is was too strong of a word on my part, really though I wouldn't mind seeing less fun posting and more reviewing/sharing albums.

>Mercury Rev - "Something for Joey"
It's the nuances that make this song. Various brass instruments layered in the background, etc. It's not an inherently interesting composition, but the dense arrangement adds up to something uplifting. 7/10

>Motorama - "I See You"
Another song that's made by arrangement. Also nicely layered, the mix is great, etc. Otherwise not terribly interesting, somewhat close to, like, Avicii territory. 5/10

I'M FISH moves on.

>Drake - "Marvin's Room"
There are reasons Drake is so popular, but I don't think the best qualities are on display here. Too often he shows no knack for melody for melody whatsoever. This just seems heavy-handed, insincere--or worse--like it's been overwrought to the point where it doesn't mean anything anymore. Sorry, homie. I like a few of the big Drake hits, but not this. 3.5/10

>Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 - "Sinking Boats"
Hell yeah. This was super raw and churning in an Albini kind of way. I'll just say I do like each of the two drastically different movements equally, but my general is there has to be some tie or reasoning behind bringing them together, and it's a bit on the jarring side, holistically. 7.5/10

co moves on.

>Attack on Aesthetics - "Fiery Gun Hand But Every Time They Introduce a New Section It Gets Faster"
Come on. Does it sound good? Absolutely not, but I don't think that's the point. Here's the thing: you're providing social commentary on two things that are already themselves some form of social commentary (The Bee Movie-related viral video and Cardiacs song. It's post-postmodern. Unnecessary. 2/10

>Autechre - "Yeesland"
I know they're phenomenally talented and the creativity here is pretty clear, but they've always been just a little bit too much on the cold, austere, inhuman side for me to want to put on for enjoyment. Quality stuff, no doubt, even crazier it came out in 97, I just like to have more to hold onto. 7/10

Followingleader moves on.

>Ichiko Aoba
All right, these two will be tough, since I did like them both. What a pleasant, lovely voice. Yeah, I don't have too much to fault here, and she wrote a perfectly fine song. It's all just a little too pleasant to the point it doesn't have any sort of edge to grab the listener. 7/10

>Women - "Eyesore"
Some pretty cool directions this song goes in, especially in the first half. Really does feel like they didn't think twice about where to take it. I even like the production, even though it's something that's generally overdone in 2010's indie rock. All that being said, could be more cohesive overall. 7/10

trip up moves on.

Send your songs. Better be dynamic.

>possibly the greatest song of all time
>7/10
ill take the win though i guess
is there a length limit?

Come on now. There have been good songs throughout human history.

No limit if I think you're being serious, I like long songs.

>you're providing social commentary
lol wat

Why then? Why in the world?

then
Swans - Blood Promise (off Swans are Dead)

it sounded good

I'm just now ordering stuff for my future mouse purchase for over 100 euro. Ask me anything.

No it didn't

also i could probably write a 10 page review on Eyesore alone
that song actually blows my mind every time i hear it
are you gonna name it "Lil' Hamp"?

why the hell do you share that nonsense with these idiots?

>are you gonna name it "Lil' Hamp"?
No, I want to name the two mice "Control" and "Experiment", since I'm gonna try to experiment a bit with them, but my gf doesn't accept that.

Why not.

just do it in a foreign language and pretend it translates to night and day or something

thats too bad. well avant liked it

She wants to name one of them, so I can't.

ah. be nice to your mice tho

Cool, I'd read some. Like I said, I could appreciate it, but I can't call it flawless. The buildup didn't deliver in my opinion

Yeah, obviously that's why I'm buying stuff for over 100 euro for them. They get a massive enclosure with good ventilation and lots of stuff to climb and play with.

I'm the ghost of jazzthreadguy

Stop listening to bad jazz

you can get your daily cut of shitty prose on rym, you won't get the meems tho
but yeah i wouldn't mind more music-related talk sometimes. I do take the thread for what it is anyways desu

you forget the rare times when shamepai unleashes his inner wordsmith here
it's truly the peak of art criticism

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

wow careful don't cut yrself mate

>these idiots
pic also related

shut up, I can't stand any of you, but I don't hate you nearly as much as I hate myself

Fuck, the meds don't do shit and my depression kicks in heavy as fuck the last few days, just kill me ok
i don't want to cope with xanax again

so you're just looking for attention then?
Sup Forums might not be the place for that, it'll only hurt you more dude.

what are you, shamepai?

why do you hate yourself, friend?

A previously unheard Jason Molina track came out yesterday.
ourfirst100days.bandcamp.com/track/royko

that was rude, I'm sorry shamepai

Fuck you, I want to leave that place ok but i get drawn back every goddamn time
cause i feel like shit ok, every second feels like agony, simply existing is the worst thing i can imagine and suicide is a fucking stupid idea i'm whiny, attention whore and hate everyone, i'm a shit person ok that's not your business

Oh you were making fun of him

i don't want to talk about it ok

m8 yer making it our business by being a dick

no sympathy

>I want to leave that place
lol no you dont man u weak

Oh you were thinking he was not?

but of course you are right buddy
thank you so much assholes

np bud
not what?

Nat posts good reviews very consistently, and he's not alone
Also how are you hasture?

>are you gonna name it "Lil' Hamp"?
Post of the year

/r/iam14andthisisdeep

mroe like /r/daily innit

lmao u weak man what u doin haha

Heyyo Laddio's.
3 tests and 4 assignments next week wew.
Gonna listen to some AVANT FREE JAZZ.

Along the veins, not across.

>recognizes he acts like a cunt non-stop in here
>recognizes it'd be better to leave Sup Forums
>still manages to be on Sup Forums and act like a cunt
>the solution to the problem is as simple as ceasing to visit
how do u fuck up like this lol. anyway filtered.

lmao avant free jazz whAT ARE YOU AN IDIOT

not an album but here's a live A/V recording of white guys playing jazz from the mid 70's

youtube.com/watch?v=mu5hlA0IT9k

guys how do i do the arrow like the one pointing left and the green too how do i do that one

leave while you still can

>

Nice meme.

are you not listening or WHAT

ill just copy it

>soft macine

savage

also is there a type of free jazz that isn't avant?

>soft macine

actually made me laugh gg

the kind thats avant relative to other jazz but not other free jazz

Almost all free jazz is old and no longer avant.

well if you go on www dot rateyourmusic dot gov you will see that the tag Free Jazz is not always associated with Avant-Garde Jazz, and, as we know, rateyourmusic.gif is the single authority on all concepts related to music

kenny g

Alright /daily/, post what you are currently listening to.

Not bad, still finding my place in the universe.

Roscoe Mitchell - Sound (1966)

An exploration of the boundaries of jazz finds that listenability and enjoyment has a steep dropoff when no attempts at harmony or progression are taken.
Not great.

5.0 /10

>Graeme Revell - The Insect Musicians
>insects noises & Tribal ambient overdubs
youtu.be/jaLPGho2EI0
it's midly interesting

Thanks I guess

ha ha, he replied to the WRONG POST!

>when someone recommends you an album and says to tell them what you think of it but they don't even reply to your review of said album

Thanks, I would never have figured that out!

Missed it with the thread change, just got back from class an hour ago but here:

SIKKKKKKK review, hard peepee through whole read, 10/10 need 2 visit doctor to re-attach jaw cuz WOWZERS!!@!! Saved in a word document on my desktop and set it to open at startup. Already ordered a 20'x5' framed printout and allocated a spot on my wall for it.
Will prioritize listening to this album over basic amenities even though I have to pee (will do in pants) thanks.
Love you and your review. Kiss hugs.

>exaggerated sarcasm

(good review and I will definitely listen to it soon tho)

Michael Chapman review when?

I think you will enjoy it.

I wasn't planning to, but if you want me to I can skip through it a bit to refresh my memory and scribble down some of my thoughts?

how do you guys listen to music with pronounced lead vocals and read at the same time? it's very distracting to me and i cant manage it

I don't. And neither should you.

Btw what track listing did you listen to? The original release was a 10" like the pic you posted in the review, and there's a few comps that encompass it.

This one.

Alright cool, that's the same one I downloaded.

Nah, in-depth recapping not necessary. His previous album Rainmaker might slightly take the edge for me anyway

He's still gonna do it! The madman!