When you can’t really write melodies but can program drums a bit and wear weird clothes

>When you can’t really write melodies but can program drums a bit and wear weird clothes

>>When you can’t really write melodies
wrong

>make trip-hop/techno/r&b inspired loop
>muh synth atmosphere
>center all tonality on root note
>add reverb to vocals
>continue for 5 minutes

Its more like
>when you cant structure songs or play an instrument, but can program drums and write melodies

daily reminder

wow queen your'e beauful

Guy who made a thread about it several weeks ago here.

Drum Programming is DEFINITELY her strong point but this album was definitely her weakest for me. She's not BAD, she's just nothing I'd normally listen to.

But still: She is a FANTASTIC drum programmer.

>dont really make anything
>just sample it
>muh psychedelic atmosphere
>add reverb to vocals
>continue for 10 minutes

WRONG

fucking just kill yourself my man

are you utterly retarded

grimesfags confirmed musically illiterate

true
still great albums though

>implying im wrong

>assuming im a grimesfag

What in the fuck do you think a root note is

He's not wrong though.

if you dont know, you can just google it

not true btw

yeah

fuck grimes and fuck this board

there is a musician named Grimes and she is bad

samefag
alright so you have no idea what a root note is

>samefag
i dont even bother to make a screeshot

kek I read that some guy at 4AD went over visions and re-did the drums because they originally sounded bad

Hold up, I'll find the article

This mostly.

She's actually very good at the micro aspects of songwriting, but the macro structure is simplistic.

Album reviewing user, you wouldn't happen to have a background/advanced knowledge in drum/percussion programming/playing yourself would you?

>the macro structure is simplistic.
>not being familiar with classical/orchestral compositional structures like passacaglias/chaconnes
Which is what many of Grimes' songs pre-Art Angels are written in the style of.

>you wouldn't happen to have a background/advanced knowledge in drum/percussion programming/playing yourself would you?
I've played drums for years, don't know too much about programming aside from the occasions I use Garageband.

dude i love grimes but it's not like she knew shit about music theory whatsoever until Art Angels and even then it's extremely limited

>it's not like she knew shit about music theory whatsoever until Art Angels
She very obviously (and self-admittedly) didn't. What she did have, however, was extremely extensive knowledge in what music theory sounds like when put into practice (because of her critically listening to LOADS of lots of different sorts of music) which is all that music theory is really about. Judging both by the music she creates and what is routinely seen in her face/body language in the copious videos around of her performing it, it is very clear that Grimes has an incredibly well-trained ear for music.

Lol I thought so. Something I've noticed, during the past 10 months or so since I first discovered Grimes' music, is that people who profess to like her music to a significant extent almost always name whatever aspect of it that they themselves know the most about as being her music's best feature. You know about drums/percussion, and find her drum programming to be fantastic. I know next to nothing about drums/percussion. However I have extensive performative knowledge about classical/orchestral musical timbre patterns and compositional structures and choral/operatic voice writing, and I often find those two elements to be her music's most outstanding features.

I know another huge Grimes fan who is also a massive Tool/alternative metal/80s synth music fan, for whom the things that most stick out about her music are similarities to those genres. There really don't seem to be any directly definable things about Grimes' music that cause people to like it. It's more that people develop a basic taste for it through exposure, and then rationalize that preference by honing in on whatever facets of it they have the most knowledge of based on prior experience.

Grimes' music is almost like the sonic equivalent of a Rorschach test for musical taste. Whether/to what extent a particular person finds it appealing says more about the nature of that person than anything else.