Pitchfork's best 50 IDM albums of all time

pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10011-the-50-best-idm-albums-of-all-time/?page=1

What do you think of this list Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o-tQEPL0hDk
youtube.com/watch?v=5fqpTZLgHIU
youtube.com/watch?v=UpuA4hag0cU
youtube.com/watch?v=0F9NYE7Sc0g
youtube.com/watch?v=6iFvbn8giOA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

can you post the top 10 for the lazy

boards of canada aphex twin the list goes on

>No Ryuichi Sakamoto
>No Francois Bayle
>No Manuel Gottsching
>No Kid Baltan
If you're going to use a term as broad as "IDM", at least list stuff other than "anything from Warp Records."

I really hate it when Pitchfork gets these nu-male hipster nobodies to create meaningless "objective" lists in genres and styles they clearly have no history with or real deep knowledge about.

I think it's ridiculous to complain about "Millenials" as a whole. But I feel like there's this bizarre trend where young writers and "content creators" feel the need to be experts in fields which they don't know shit.

lol "good one"

this

This article is a prime example of some faggot who majored in like femme studies and somehow finagled his way into a job at pitchfork.

>not knowing Simon Reynolds
millennials everybody

>not knowing some faggot pitchfork writer with shit taste
>"ugh millenials"

yeah fuck off
music critics are a joke anyway and pitchfork is the lowest of the low

yeah this

i mean yea cool autechres on there three times but no confield? rossz that low? warp various artists comp in top 10? four tet??????? clark's worst album?? HEY GUYS WARP RECORDS LOL

saw as top idm album is just fuckin bonkers, like okay i get it we get it it was great for it's time but there have definitely been more boundary pushing idm albums since then, not to mention when aphex literally said "i dont make idm lol what a gay name for a style of music." if this was a top 50 ambient or minimal techno list then hell yes put saw as every entry with like one entry for kraftwerk "hmm yess german blep blops very minimal they go on the list #24 meanwhile four tets 4/4 loop for an hour gets #3 hey saw #1 but dont fucking tell me ghat Selected Ambent Wofks is the numbr 1 Intel Danger Music album ever

fuckin wankstains

>Simon Reynolds
>p4k writer

>shitting on a list without even reading it
top millenial

>bawww why wassn't my 3rd wave glitch wank album chosen over these highly influential 1st wave records
grow up

>glitch wank
???

are you fucking retarded he just made this list for pitchfork

confield was way more boudary pushing than fucking selected snooze works

selected anal warts

remind me what it pushed again

>albums
>In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country

>You could say that the prehistory of IDM was the ambient chill-out fad of the first years of the ’90s, along with certain ethereal and poignant tracks made by Detroit producers like Carl Craig. But really, it all kicks off in 1992 with Warp’s first Artificial Intelligence compilation and its attendant concept of “electronic listening music,” along with that same year’s Aphex Twin album Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (released on Apollo, the ambient imprint of R&S Records).

>Phase 2 of IDM came when other artists and labels rushed in to supply the demand, the taste market, that Warp had stirred into existence. Among the key labels of this second phase were Skam, Schematic, Mille Plateaux, Morr, and Planet Mu. The latter was the brainchild of Mike Paradinas, aka μ-Ziq— one of the original Big Four IDM artists, alongside Aphex, Autechre, and Black Dog. (Or the Big Six, if you count Squarepusher and Luke Vibert, aka Wagon Christ/Plug). Most of these artists knew each other socially and sometimes collaborated. All were British.

>You could talk about a Phase 3 stage of IDM, when the music—not content with borrowing rhythmic tricks from post-rave styles like jungle—actually moved to assimilate the rudeboy spirit of rave itself: the original Stupid Dance Music whose cheesy ‘n’ mental fervor was the very thing that IDM defined itself again. This early 2000s phase resulted in styles like breakcore and glitchcore; these had an international following and, for the first time in IDM’s history, a strong creative basis in the United States.

These couple paragraphs sound more informed than anything you see on the front page of Sup Forums.

This is all pretty well known/reported, mate.

>pretty well known/reported
Not on Sup Forums, as evident by this thread.

Someone's never been in /bloop/ or /idm/

sounds like he lurked watmm for an afternoon lmao

watmm is even more ignorant that Sup Forums lmao

>Pan Sonic
>Pole
>Four Tet
Not IDM

youtube.com/watch?v=o-tQEPL0hDk

>0:00-0:30+

is simon reynolds our guy?

>You could say that the prehistory of IDM was the ambient chill-out fad of the first years of the ’90s
I like how he completely ignores Musique Concrete artists and their experiments with tape, YMO and their solo work, and lastly, the fact that the "ambient chill-out fad" fucking started in the late 80s.

the buttons of everybody that listened to this style of music in 2001. most of the idm coming out around that time had next to no emphasis on sound design and was just "muh bleps and blops"
confield brought idm to an entirely new level.
my dad owned a copy of confield lol, wonder if he still has it

can we all agree everyone at pitchfork needs to be gassed

>sound design didn't exist before confield
ok thanks

Energy Flash is overrated, tb h

He's an incredibly dull and dry writer. Complete slog to get through and his taste isn't even all that interesting.

to be totally fair, back in the day, musique concrete and idm were so far removed. they may be more intertwined now but idm was for ravers and MC was mostly academia

keep zoe camp alive so we can all lick her feet

I was honestly impressed, there's some cool shit on there.

although they really should have limited it to one album per artist

mawstran on the flance door

>Energy Flash is overrated
can you name something better?

there are errors and it's clearly biased towards rave music but still it's the best we've got in regards to electronic(a) music history

Simon Reynolds isn't a full time pitchfork writer.

Also if you don't know who he is, you should be gassed.

Confield is literally just LP5/EP7 but with harder beats.

Post-Chiastic Slide Autechre are overrated avant-teen trash.

I agree, and that's why I mentioned YMO. They bridged the gap between esoteric musique concrete and popular music moreso than any other artists.
youtube.com/watch?v=5fqpTZLgHIU
youtube.com/watch?v=UpuA4hag0cU

Most Autechre is overrated desu

lol you think teenagers are listening to anything on warp

its just hip-hop innit

lad....

no one but teenagers listen to autechre to start with

pst your gay haha

im gay for ae

Not to say that Musique Concrete didn't have it's say but Industrial was far more influential on IDM. Lots of Coil tracks have hints of the later Autechre sound and there are certain underground industrial tracks that straight-up sound like RDJ a decade before RDJ started making music.

youtube.com/watch?v=0F9NYE7Sc0g

i asked my buddy's 14 year old daughter just now if she listened to elseq and she said "0nset my nigger" and dabbed so hard it shattered every window in the house

>no AFX - HAB
>no Reload - ACOSS
>no J&HCB - Smash
>no VHS Head
>no Bytes

you should make a video of her then upload it to youtube and post it in the "kids listening to idem" thread on watmm

>Lots of Coil tracks have hints of the later Autechre sound and there are certain underground industrial tracks that straight-up sound like RDJ a decade before RDJ started making music.
You can do this with Berlin School tracks as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=6iFvbn8giOA

The takeaway here, IDM is heavily influenced by just about any kind of electronic music.
>no Bytes
>mfw they put Spanners at 42

Fuck Pitchfork

be grateful they didn't put arca or sophie within the top 5

Is IDM the most incorrectly used label in music?

People literally cherry pick ''bleeps I like are now not dance music but intelligent music''.

There is this conception that all electronic music has to be dance based.

The synthesizer was invented in 1900, there were many experiments in electronic music, and there are lots of obscure electronic albums from the 50's.'60's and 70's before gay niggers ruined it

pure fucking shite
half of it ain't even idm
yet no extremely influential releases a la FSOL, orbital, LFO
don't get me wrong theres some good underrated gens in there, but they've missed the mark completely for most of it

WTF I hate IDM now

>15 posters

>no Time Tourist
it's bad but not as bad as the trash one they did for ambient

>Jlin

Come on now

that fucking huerco s album being on there was insulting

He wasn't even listening to electronic music in the 1980s, he was a shoegazer then
Give him a break

honestly a decent list

you realize that the D does stand for dance right?

Full list:

>50. Jason Forrest - The Unrelenting Songs Of The 1979 Post Disco Crash
>49. Kid606 - Down With The Scene
>48. Blectum From Blechdom - Haus De Snaus
>47. Mira Calix - One On One
>46. Isolée - Rest
>45. M:I:5 - Maßstab 1:5
>44. Arovane - Tides
>43. Bola - Soup
>42. The Black Dog - Spanners
>41. Anthony Manning - Islets In Pink Polypropylene
>40. Caribou - Start Breaking My Heart
>39. Leila - Like Weather
>38. Pan Sonic - Vakio
>37. Jon Hopkins - Immunity
>36. Plaid - Not For Threes
>35. Jlin - Dark Energy
>34. Pole - 1
>33. Burger/Ink - [Las Vegas]
>32. SND - Atavism
>31. Mouse On Mars - Glam
>30. Seefeel - Succour
>29. Carl Craig - More Songs About Food And Revolutionary Art
>28. Jim O’Rourke - I'm Happy, And I'm Singing, And A 1, 2, 3, 4
>27. µ-Ziq - Lunatic Harness
>26. Polygon Window - Surfing On Sine Waves
>25. Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
>24. Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
>23. Farben - Textstar
>22. Two Lone Swordsmen - Stay Down
>21. Various Artists - Clicks + Cuts
>20. Urban Tribe - The Collapse Of Modern Culture
>19. Matmos - A Chance To Cut Is A Chance To Cure
>18. Mouse On Mars - Autoditacker
>17. Clark - Body Riddle
>16. Autechre - Amber
>15. Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
>14. Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
>13. Aphex Twin - ...I Care Because You Do
>12. Boards Of Canada - In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country EP
>11. Drexciya - Harnessed The Storm
>10. Various Artists - Artificial Intelligence
>9. Squarepusher - Big Loada EP
>8. Autechre - LP5
>7. Jan Jelinek - Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records
>6. Four Tet - Rounds
>5. Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi
>4. Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
>3. Autechre - Tri Repetae
>2. Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
>1. Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

you know what i mostly approve of this list

Tri repetae is so terrible compared to Incunabula.

>Four Tet
>Flying Lotus
>Jan Jelinek
>Boards of Canada
>Drexciya
>IDM

>Drexciya