youtube.com/watch?v=WSUEQrebn0A
youtube.com/watch?v=beKs4olq4DQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fmk2wTS8x1c
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

did you try listening to it
that tends to help

anything Radiohead

maybe it's because I have an instinctive dislike of everything British (though I do like Bowie and Eno and some others) but I just don't get Radiohead.

what did you not like about them?

3 get

I just don't get anything emo rock. What's the appeal?

It has really cool beats and lyrics, that are also quite funny a lot of the time. It's conceptually nihilistic, not conceptually IGNORANT, because it does hint at conceptual ideas like being a comic book villain, or the song Bistro where he plays a character introducing us to the album,. But because it's inconsistent with this it gives the sense that they don't give a fuck about an overall narrative and only care about the artistic idea of that particular moment (postmodernism) It's a beautiful mess - like the Beatles' white album. It's filled with lots of little ideas for full length-tracks but instead of trying to stretch them out needlessly they make their point and move on. There's a lot of creative "word painting" where the music in the background imitates what's being said, e.g. coughing in the background when talking about weed, or doing a little jazz breakdown when he mentions a jazz breakdown.

this is one of their weakest albums imo, and Anco really shaped my view of music and songwriting.

I'd try Sung Tongs if you want something more acoustic, STGSTV or Here Comes the Indian if you want something more experimental/raw/lo-fi, or Strawberry Jam if you want a better version of Merriweather.

Feels is also just nice if you're doing drugs in the spring with your friends in the woods.

Just very direct and poignant songwriting paired with vastly different and very cohesively executed aesthetics/concepts.

For some albums, I think a lot goes over people's heads, but Radiohead for the most part isn't that complicated or hard to understand.

Maybe it's just not for you.

their riffs are G R O O V Y
youtube.com/watch?v=WSUEQrebn0A

The guitar is alright. Don't see what makes it so much better than any other metal riff on any other metal album.

why should it be "better" than anything else
music isn't a fucking competition, they just write good riffs and have fun.
I'd pity an artist who writes music for the only purpose of being better than everyone else.

Flow.

I think you mean

wordplay

It's a man in a mask

Pleb

I've listened to this album on 7 different occasions and while I think it's good, I don't understand why people are so obsessed with it

>Maybe it's just not for you

Maybe, though I just listened to Kid A and liked it. I mean, theoretically this is the type of music I should really enjoy, everything is really well produced, the song writing isn't cliche, the lyrics aren't terrible like so many other musicians', and yet there's some element in the music that I can't stand and I can't define it.

Besides Kid A, what is their best album or albums?

A lot of people's first RH album is OK Computer and it's good for what it is, Hail to the Thief and A Moon Shaped Pool have some good tunes, but I'd say Amnesiac is their best album. The rest are eh.

Alright, I'll give Amnesiac a listen, see what happens. Thanks for the rec

Yeah same, souvlaki Is better

I used to feel like this. Strangely Amnesiac clicked with me the first time a listened to it whilst OK Computer and Kid A only very recently fully opened up to me. Maybe try Amnesiac and if that fails just listen to OK Computer every now and then and eventually you'll love it.

This.

Ppl. tell me it is GOAT, but to me it sounds like crappy new-age meditation music and I just keep waiting for the whales/oceans and the 'soothing voice' to come in. Tracks of different lengths looping, wow so good /sarc.

That is about as special as the Andy Warhol art, so you're not missing it, it is just not there.

What tracks off it do you like when you listen to it?

you have to listen to it between the ages of 16-18, when you're feeling depressed and intellectual. any time other than that and you won't get it. thats why most people grow out of radiohead: they turn 19.

The title says "Music for airports". It didn't click for me either until i was waiting in a long lineup for customs and hadn't slept in 20 hours and felt like I was going to pass out. I listened to it then, and it instantly calmed me down.

>Strawberry Jam if you want a better version of Merriweather.
I mean, I agree that SJ is better but they're very different albums

listen to when you sleep and the rest of the album just kind of falls into place

listening to that now it's kind of like listening to the beatles for the first time now
it's so influencual and been copied so much, it doesn't sound that special anymore now

>yet there's some element in the music that I can't stand and I can't define it.
thoms singing turns me off sometimes, especially in ok computer
also sometimes I'm not in the right mood for their post-rockish songs based on repetition at all, like the national anthem, how to disappear completely, ful stop etc

Thx, I guess on that fateful day that the same happens to me I will try again.

Help

I love you Honeybear.
Yeah i get it, the guy used to be a bum.
That doesnt magically make a mediocre album good.

Amnesiac is also probably their most inaccessible, so be warned. It's everything from the Kid A sessions that was too weird to fit on Kid A but that they still liked enough to release.

It's probably my favorite by them too but I hated it at first, it's pretty unique both in their discography and in general. I would recommend listening to at least a little bit of their other music first. Hail to the Thief is kind of a good middle ground between their electronic and their rock side.

it melds its influences well into a colorful "electronic" psych pop album. The way the vocal melodies string together is really nice. The "tropical/tribal" aesthetic that appears on the majority of these tracks is cool too. Its a psychedelic dance album.

what fucking nonsense

Sometimes Thom's presence can bother me. He's a good singer, but on some of their songs I feel as if a deeper, more authoritative voice would work better.

And so many of their songs are just... soft in a way. I don't mean that they should be like a NIN song off of Broken, but they just sort of roll along without any incident, if that makes sense. Just off the top of my head, The Subterranean Alien song starts out really promising with that little guitar part, and then it gets to business as usual with Thom's singing and it's just mild and pleasant.

Don't try to enjoy it as you listen to it, allow yourself to be confused

I never understood the love for any of The Beatles albums. I understand they're super influential and all but i just find them boring... Am I doing it wrong?

it's just not that good it's super ironic chamber pop folk hipster bullshit and everything that's wrong with "indie folk"

Its a good album but i can't see the big thing in this

It's accessible for white people because it's not completely hip-hop

Accept the fact that it breaks all of the rules of music and song structure on purpose. Observe the very different elements clashing and crashing and find out where they intersect in ways you would see in other albums.

This album is overwhelming, but, you need to embrace it and let it steamroll you. Understand it as obnoxious. It is very literally a meme album.

***wouldn't see

i agree

there really isn't anything to get here it's just not the monumentally amazing album that people make it out to be

it's a good album though

SHOEGAZE

This

Everything's weirdly off time yet on time on this record. Granted it's not as annoying, but in a way it's hip hop's Trout Mask Replica. Doom's rhyme pattern's not traditional and on a straightforward rhythm at all. Madlib's beats are done J Dilla style (in other words, instead of say setting up a tempo and then playing the stuff to that beat everything's done in a far more organic manner.) The song structures are very strange, often having like half a track (ex. end of Accordion/beginning of the track after it.) As for something more contextual, the beats used on it were unconventional for the time; Madlib sampled everything from the freshest names at the time like Daedalus to goddamn Street Fighter to random Indian shit, etc.

I can't vouch for all their records, but OK Computer and Kid A are both good in a similar way to albums like Sgt Peppers and Dark Side Of The Moon in that they have relatively straightforward compositions but with a lot of little subtleties put here and there to make each track more interesting while also having a largely different approach per track despite the straightforward poppy structures, giving each one their own identity.

It's a pretty unique take on electronic psychedelic. That is mainly because of the timbres being messed with here. Other AnCo records (even their more "experimental" ones) have a more easy to follow, percussive/louder set of timbres. This record runs the gamut of an even larger variety having weird stuff like what sounds like a water droplet being a drum track for one of the songs. Using such weird timbres catches people off guard when it comes to this record, but they are cool once a taste is acquired for them.

Representing some kind of emotional overwhelming state using a variety of genres of stuff. So like if you listen to the album American Football, you got some crazy math rock melodies, some jazzy stuff, some typical fast punky stuff,some wall of sound shoegaze etc

They are good entry level death metal as I told you before. Far from the best, but it helps those that can't initially handle the more intense records in the death metal genre that may feel too exhausting for them.

It's unique from the vast majority of shoegaze in that the record entails a wide variety of studio/production effects rather than just muh guitar effects. The real shit that's happening is looking at where all the sounds and textures are moving around in the musical space, the actually simple as fuck songwriting is simple so the listener can pay attention to these other subtleties.

It's widely influential. Okay so what? Why listen to this otherwise? Listen very closely to what they do on this record. There's usage of techniques that are still very unconventional. Easiest one to notice is Tucker's drumming style and the weird viola setup Cale has.

Come back to this later. This is actually a terrible entry level jazz record. It's my favorite of all time, but to really get the concept of what it does with its display of variety in technique as a medium for emotion in music...it's kind of a tough concept to get around. Keep listening to other jazz then maybe one day it'll be really worth it getting to this.

Eno himself has influenced some new age so I am not surprised. BUT, it's not straight up loops though. Pay more careful attention to the music. It's actually awful to listen to at airports because of the subtle changes it goes through as it goes on. Kinda like a lot of minimalist stuff of the time period, there's an almost microtonal-esque attention to how the music is delivered so even if it sounds like the same thing is being played, it's not.

Make sure you listen to it through headphones. It's much easier to follow if the main thing you are paying attention to is either Beefheart's voice or the drums.

>Am I doing it wrong?
Pretty much. Their best tracks tend to be pretty busy actually with a lot of parts coming in and out. Try paying attention to all of it. The approach to making complex music from them is such that it requires the listener to be active as opposed to say...Captain Beefheart where the listener can be more passive in their listening. This mainly counts for post-Rubber Soul; the more forward you go, the more attention is needed from the listener.

First maximalist hip hop record with such ambitions since like 1989. Very cohesive in its themes, yet each track brings something different. Also very influential for modern trends.

Of all the big grunge stuff of that time, this and AiC's other big record, Jar Of Flies, are the two most atmospheric ones. Dirt's one of the...dirtiest sounding grunge releases. The raw yet kinda doomy/sludgy sound helps with it (interesting sound as it's got a treble crunch but is still VERY bassy all in all). The band tries to do other little things on a track by track basis as well to give that unsettling feel ex. Them Bones being in 7/8 time signature.

What's not to love? It entails a large variety of genres (though in the end it's kinda in the "Wonky" one it helped push forward), and the record has this kinda flow to it where it starts off crazy fast, then slows down then gets groovy, etc.

The beginning can make it tough to get into because it starts off very fast and chaotic. But you gotta realize that the beginning sections are very reminiscent of combining free jazz and breakcore almost.

Souvlaki is good but it sounds just like every other shoegaze record.
has it right, for decades people have been trying to rip off mbv's sound on that album and nobody has ever even come close. There's a reason it took him 2 years to make

I didn't like it at first because DOOM's flow is so weird and he always sounds like he's about to fall behind the beat but give it time and come back to it. And listen to the lyrics, they really helped me appreciate his performance on that album

It's just fun groovy 80's synth-pop, not much more to it than that. Listen to News From The Sun and tell me that it isn't a great song.

I feel like I see you in these threads a lot. That or somebody else just keeps using the same four albums in the same configuration.

If you don't like Unknown Pleasures, try Closer. It has a lot less of the high-energy stuff like Disorder and Interzone but the atmosphere and sadness gets cranked up to 11. If you don't like either one, listen to Les Baines Douches and get an appreciation for their punk-ier side before you listen to their studio albums and get an appreciation for their darker side.

Genuinely sounds like nothing else ever made. As broad and sweeping of a statement as this is I would go as far as to say nobody has ever blended IDM, jazz and hip-hop as well as Flylo does on this album. Also the high energy and short track lengths make it super fast-paced and exploding with energy (at least on the first side).

One of my all-time favorites. I admit it drops off hard on side B though (fuck German Haircut).

well produced jazz influenced beats, does lots of interesting things. yeah its not very complex but it sounds cool. i used to like it a lot but musically it is a bit on the boring side.

I think a lot of the merits of this album come out of realizing how much work went into it and how much collaboration Kanye utilized. POWER was the song Kanye used to make his come-back after the Taylor fiasco - he spent several thousand hours on that song. If you listen to all the individual musical elements in the songs - the transitions, the interludes, the B-sections, the many many excellent features - you begin to fully realize Kanye's genius is perhaps not in his rap but his ear and his "CEO" music making wizardry. The album is fearless, shameless, and incredibly confident.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HERE COMES THE ROOSTER

Synthetic nostalgia. Beautiful music but also very surreal and bizarre, it makes you feel like something is off, and you can't quite place it. It's supposed to make you feel an uncomfortable mix of emotions, kind of like melancholy. And the sound is completely unique, so the emotions blindside you.

Listen to it loud as hell and it sounds much better

Many textures

I didn't get Oneohtrix until I saw him live. It's like an artist with a paint palette tossing colors that aren't supposed to go together on a canvas.

Oh look, it's another, "I just graduated college and these are the things I now hate, look at my intelligence and maturity" post.

Same

For me, this album really captures that rare but powerful feeling of eerie surealness. I'm sure you have felt this feeling before as well. There's a segment of lyrics in it "Like swimming underwater in the dark, like being watched from outside, by no one" that describes the feeling well. Although there is highly technical guitar work and drumming on this album, I'd consider it more of a Soundtracks for the Blind type album to be experienced.

I 'get' what this album is striving towards artistically, but I just don't '''get''' it, if you catch my drift.

Odd time signatures, dynamics, semitone movement, spoken word - all pretty peculiar for 90s rock music.

And to add on to that, there also seems to be a rough connection from song to song similar to the story many people feel in ITAOTS. And each song the "character" is experiencing more and more of the feeling I talked about in post 1 until it builds up to the intense breakdown at the last minute of the entire album.

And that's all I got, but maybe you just think it's trash idk

Death Grips as a whole. inb4 troll. Honestly i just cant get. Please put this in black and white so i can understand. It's revered here and ALWAYS discussed. please explain

the whole "post-rock" genre t b h

Took a lot of re-listens for me to appreciate Joy Division properly.

Lyrically encapsulates misery more than any other music I've ever heard, and the instrumentation changes dynamics to suit them perfectly. With lack of melody I understand why so many people don't "get" their music though, and even as a fan they aren't records you'd randomly stick on.

very busy and aggressive production which would be cool even without the rapping ... but then it has rapping over it, which is highly distinctive because of Ride's voice and the fact that he screams his brains out. And the character he portrays himself as in his lyrics is a lonely introvert who's broken and angry on the inside, and erupts into hyperbolically violent and sexual male fantasies, which is why so many 4channers like them.

and still somehow manage to be really catchy

This desu, I can only really enjoy When You Sleep

Ambient 2 is way better

Fuck man I'm not sure how to explain it but that album just moves the soul. It clicked for me when I was riding my bike down the hill when storm climaxs and I nearly fell off from the images that my mind had conjured.

damn dude do you write rekkid reviews- very nicely written

try early post rock or "first wave"

youtube.com/watch?v=beKs4olq4DQ

youtube.com/watch?v=fmk2wTS8x1c

No other artist so accurately portrays the feeling of isolation in our nihilistic technological age that drives people to suicide.
No big surprise why they speak so much to many 4channers.

Not on Sup Forums, but I don't get the praise of Genesis in general compared to any other prog band

pent up anger

It's just trendy rap - It has that subdued bass feel like meme rappers such as lil yachty. you're not missing much

am i missing something here

I would agree with the other anons; there is a dimension of anger and madness that is sort of relaxing when you are that angry too.

the best way I can explain really out there genres of music is that, if you dont get it, you just don't. no amount of forcing yourself to listen to something like pulse demon will get you any closer to liking it, it just has to be something that's already to your tastes

Breakup core

I don't want to be that guy
But I want to understand the hype

>you're not supposed to get it core

ambitious vaguely concept album that had a bunch of really great tracks and justified kanye's public persona. he threw that out the window with yeezus and tlop though

Anything by the Mars Volta really. They sound ok for me but after years of trying I just can't see what's supposed to be so great about them.

its better to not try and understand what the lyrics mean in this album as doing so takes away from the actual songs. Jeff has said that he doesnt know what more than half the lyrics mean so i just enjoy it for what it is.

I love their songs but i just dont understand the point of this album besides it meaning "a collection" none of the songs vibe together and it just ends up being weird as fuck.

This guy sums it up well

>the point of this album
is there an ever a point of an album? All the songs are humorous with catchy memorable lyrics.
I can't name an album that has stuck in my mind so fast and so long.
If possible go to one of their shows. I never got there shit until they appeared at a Festival and started to enjoy them.