youtube.com/watch?v=EhGRlJqkFC4
youtu.be/0aaaSNXxZFA
dragonradio.org/listen-online/
youtube.com/watch?v=p569TJ1msiE
youtube.com/watch?v=PGoZwCSWAJY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's tripped-out droning shoegaze, which is cool, but I'm not even drooling

What's cool about drool in your shoe?

Is there any other album that uses glitch and IDM elements in unconventional and unexpected ways/genres like Velocity : Design : Comfort does? Not even necessarily shoegaze, but really anything.

It's one of my favorite albums of all time and it's hard to believe nobody else has even attempted to do something like this considering how well they pull it off. The closest I've found is múm but they have their own thing going on.

dead general lol

i think there's something about complex electronic music and how only people who spent time with the equipment know how it's made that scares rock musicians and people interested in shoegaze away from it.
so that ends up being the only album of it's kind

i guess that also applies to a making a loveliescrushing type album that requires you to be pretty knowledgeable about guitar pedals to make well. so there ends up only being one band that does it

once you learn to play guitar you usually just want to play it like a guitar

anyone gonna go to Slowdive's Brooklyn show during their North American tour? I know it's still months away but

I mean you get bands playing with electronic instruments in shoegaze, but for most shoegaze bands, or even rock bands in general, don't like stepping out of their comfort zone. Like said, there isn't a huge overlap in people that both are into shoegaze and IDM/glitch AND have the know-how to be able to make both genres. Even if you take a step back from shoegaze, it's still hard to find albums that mix IDM and rock subgenres at all.

Off the top of my head one of the other bands that experimented with this kind of thing would be Bowrey Electric, but they have a more trip hop/downtempo thing going.

Is there such a thing as folkgaze or bluesgaze

wildivy.bandcamp.com/releases
>folkgaze

youtube.com/watch?v=HUxQf7gjdW8
>bluesgaze?

I can't believe pitchfork ignored this in their shoegaze list and IDM list.
It's also a shame that Sweet Trip didn't continued with this sound on their next album.

I'm hopefully going

has p4k ever covered sweet trip?

I don't know why I'd not listened to Sweet Trip before but I'm listening to their first album now, really love it.
Would The Depreciation Guild count? Only heard one of their songs but it was like a glitch shoegaze sound

fuck you

the depreciation guild is more chiptune than idm imo but they do have a similar style to V:D:C, i personally enjoy both

Makes sense, I guess. Kinda disappointing though, I had always figured there would be some post-rock or post-punk people who would be into that sort of thing. I think there's a lot of potential.

Sweet Trip is fanatically popular on Sup Forums and RYM and basically nowhere else.
It's a shame because they really are a pretty incredible group

Depreciation Guild is alright but based on In Her Gentle Jaws they mostly just use the electronics in the percussion whereas Sweet Trip imo does a way better job of combining the guitars and electronics

This seems like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks user

I don't know jack about guitars but I'm fascinated with the sounds that are created in shoegaze. Is there like a resource I can use that chronicles the different types of guitar pedals and whatnot and what sounds they make?

youtube.com/watch?v=khPqYH23F-E

What do you cats think of Catherine Wheel?

hey try this it's not really idm and not *really* shugazi but it's dreamy and psychedelic and broadcast was on warp

maybe i ust like it so much cause i already like broadcast's other stuff

I actually just listened to Tender Buttons last week because I thought it was going to scratch the itch I had. More Kraftwerk than Autechre but still pretty interesting.

What are their other two albums like? And
>broadcast WAS on warp
Are they confirmed done for? That's sad.

The Sweet Trip guy said in a reddit thread that he thinks VDC is worse than the other album.

A Japanese band called Freezing Butterfly put out a single in 2000 and one of the track mixes was this weird EAI/IDM fusion. It's the closest to VCD and to your descriptor.

Here it is if you're interested.

www59.zippyshare.com/v/mOnNXPKv/file.html

Noise Made By People is like a cross between Stereolab and USA. Haha Sound is more of the same but with a bit more sonic experimentation and electronics.

>Are they confirmed done for?
Lead singer died in 2011

Anyone have a mega link for Beat?

I'll check both out, then. Haha Sound sounds like a lot of fun.

>Lead singer died in 2011
Oh what the fuck she did. I've been listening to this album like crazy and reading about their career and somehow I had no idea.

Usually websites of pedal companies have audio samples to let you hear how the pedal sounds. If they don't, you could just look up the pedal on YouTube and probably find something.

Is there anything else like sonic youth meets shoegaze? this is the closest i can find and i really love this album

Here's the only one you'll ever need
youtube.com/watch?v=XDUUQ4Bpre0

this is really good
who else sounds like them

idk maybe SPECTRES' DYING

imagine if he started shredding it

The Dandy Warhols

where 2 cop

Is this one shugazi?

What would you guys say are shoegaze's greatest hits in terms of songs that were influential, but also popular and successful crossover hits. Obviously MBV's Only Shallow, Ride's Vapour Trail, and Slowdive's Alison come to mind.

i've been listening to pic related often, it's a personal favorite and i think among the pinncales of amerigaze

oh hey neat bowery electric
beat is better, but nice to see they're loved
dosen't that make sweet trip more special though?
i'd rather a band have one really really good experimental period and then move on instead of just finding one sound and sticking with it forever
VDC won't go away even if sweet trip does
thanks friendo!
try lilys
and the field mice

hey who else is seeing lilys in sf next week

How do I into sonic youth?
How do I into jesus and mary chain?

Recently tried "the fauns- the fauns" and loved it. Which other album by them should I check out?

when the synth drops in dedicated, I am unable to control my eargasms.

daydream nation

anything else?
have that album saved

pls post the whole album

Sister

youtube.com/watch?v=S_IEqoEgQBQ

This too

youtube.com/watch?v=G7mUBb394JE

yoyoyo
youtu.be/V-mId6cTGbc
bitch

I sincerely mean it when I say that I love you anons. Thank you for the recommendations.

Just search for pedal demos on youtube, there are a lot of weird ones but you should get a sense of what the main effects sound like fairly quickly.

Cheers dude! Definitely check out Manon Meurt's self titled album too (pic related)

oh shit im going

i love you.

Bump

Been listening to this for a couple of weeks. Psychedelic/dream pop

this fucking sucks
gtfo3

youtube.com/watch?v=I1Vs5ZpmKs8

Nice album user

>not agalloch

What do you all think of the new track by slowdive : star roving?

it aint even make me cry
or feel much really
but it's alright i guess

I like it but I don't love it.

I've never been the biggest Slowdive fan, I love Pygmalion and a few tracks off Souvlaki and Just For a Day, and I dunno it just feels like I need to hear more. Like don't get me wrong, it's good, but I'm just not that turned on by it.

>inb4 muh mastering autism

Loudness in mastering is a big deal you epic memer. If you strangle the dynamics out of a song by overcompressing it makes it so it's all the same volume and as a result it loses a lot of depth.

It's not a big deal for regular music listeners, but for people who notice these kinds of things it can drive them up a wall.

You will never know why is objectively better than velocity

>Good shoegaze album is better than unique and good shoegaze album
I disagree

rollerskate skinny reunion when

they're not popular enough for even them to think it's a good idea

so there's blackgaze
but where's the
thrashgaze

there needs to be atmospheric thrash first

>beat is better than s/t
Ya rite!

Their s/t doesn't do what it tries to do better than Beat does what it tries to do. Beat has more clarity, and it makes it more hypnotic. What does s/t do better?

Gonna be doing shrooms some time soon. Any shugazi recs for the trip?
I've done it once before, but was bumping mostly hip hop (Donuts & Low End Theory) and Pet Sounds.

>doesn't know that Lushlife is obviously their best

not shoegaze but
youtube.com/watch?v=IURAKQV7q_o

checked and seconded

I used to lurk/post a bunch in /shugazi/ last year around this time and the end of 2015, I somehow missed this album, not the guy you recc'd it to but good rec regardless.

Yeah, sounds like a mix of You Will Never Know Why and pic related.

why tho

Beat > Lushlife > BE

>tfw can't listen to bowery electric since noticing all their songs are 2 chords back and forth

Yeah and loveless is all 4 chord rock n roll. It's a genre staple to not have complex harmony.

They'd be even better if they just stuck to one chord.

you can have simple songs without them being generic, boring and going nowhere

they do have some one chord songs
youtube.com/watch?v=EhGRlJqkFC4

I really can't get into this but I fucking LOVE the Winks and Kisses EPs.

>by them
the only one you havent heard

>youtube.com/watch?v=EhGRlJqkFC4
this shit go hard as hell
very good very good

More noise-pop/Jangle-pop. But still a solid record.

>generic, boring and going nowhere
did you think BE's music was generic, boring and going nowhere before you noticed they were simple?

Powergaze would be neat. Do we have any shoegaze albums about dragons and wizards yet?

Why? We already know what both thrash and shoegaze sound like, there's no need for a bridging genre. Thrashgaze would probably be easy as shit to write too, just take any generic thrash riff but throw on a shitload of reverb and whatnot. Do clean vocals lower in the mix with delay or something. Maybe slower melodic choruses.

Someone get on it! I'd do it but I'm a fraud that can't actually play the guitar.

just make it yourself out of samples
probably easier than using an actual guitar and pedals

I wish they'd come back and make another album.
These guys really had something.
youtu.be/0aaaSNXxZFA

Hey, /Shugazi/, my radio show is back on the air today and I'm planning to make it all about shoegaze this semester. Today's just going to be a sort of intro day with a few albums I recently picked up and a bunch of the station's top 30. Would you anons be interested in listening?

I don't know if fantasy themes fit into the romantic meloncholy aesthetic shoegaze has but if it's done well I don't see why it couldn't happen.

yeah sure man, give us a link

dragonradio.org/listen-online/

I'll be live in about 10 minutes.

fuck it ill listen
An Alabama shoegaze band called Wray describes themselves as "powergaze" but not because of the subject matter. More to do with song structure I think.

youtube.com/watch?v=p569TJ1msiE

yo /shugazi/
did a cover of one of my fave hanl songs a while ago
youtube.com/watch?v=PGoZwCSWAJY
dig.