Why wasn't Sauron invisible when wearing the ring?

Why wasn't Sauron invisible when wearing the ring?

He was a wizard

why didn't gandalf shoot the one ring into the sun

surely it burns hotter than mt doom

salmon was invisible, but his armor wasn't. Ring doesn't work on armor

this never came up though because the only people who put on the ring in the books only had clothes and chainmail

>salmon
Kek

he was already a ghost, wearing the ring made him visible

He was wearing the ring over his glove though. How does it make him invisible but not the armor?

The ring doesnt work like that
The ring made frodo and people of middle earth invisible because it brought them into another realm, this is why Frodo can see the ringwraiths for what they really are, the creepy ghost dudes. Sauron exists on that plane already, so wearing the ring just increases his power instead of putting him into that realm

That other realm looks an awful lot like Middle Earth.

Why would he need to be?

can we transform this thread into a "stupid lotr questions that makes sense" like "why did frodo not just ride the eagles to morder?"

Different room, same apartment complex

You ever wonder why the air is invisible in Lord of the Rings? It's because when nobody is wearing the ring, technically the air is wearing it. That's why in the movie whenever somebody puts on the one ring all the air gets all fucked up and dark looking.

So yes, the ring makes inanimate objects invisible, however S man made it not work on armor so he didn't end up nude all the time when he wore it into battle because all the elves would laugh at his tiny Barad-dur and his two little Palantíri

how did a moth turned into an eagle? and why did it fly away at first?

It didn't make the river invisible when Smeagol found it.

Who didn't like the additional conflict and tension the movie put into Frodo and Sam's relationship?

You're a fucking retard. It's because he's a Maia spirit that exists in between 2 worlds at will. Mortals wear the ring they enter a 'spirit' world.

None of that is in the movies.

user is literally just funposting. You're reacting to something that's not even bait.

>hurr I was only pretending
Fuck you, retards. He's a Maia spirit that exists in between 2 worlds at will. Mortals wear the ring they enter a 'spirit' world.

water is clear, go check the footage. How else would you see it in the river if the water was murky.

Why didn't the gold chain turn invisible when it wore the one ring?

Clear =/= invisible.

when they were dying in morder why didnt same and harry get the eagles to deliver piza to them?

grandalf was actually talking shit to the moth and the moth then went a got some backup because a moth cant talk and neither can an eagle

How does the ring itself define the word "wear"?

>when you call your homeboys to kick some crackers ass who was talkin shit but it turns out they're friends with him and give him a ride

fuck I feel bad for that moth

When Bilbo dropped the ring, why didn't the Earth turn invisible?

technically there is more volume of air inside he ring than chain, so it still counts as the air wearing it

1/2 snow 1/2 air, the ring was trying to decide when it got picked up

holy kek

because magic you autist OP

The air us still touch ing the outside of the ring checkmark ;)

>this thread
Holy fuck the tales were true, Sup Forums is the best meme board

4 years ago, maybe. You're a little late to the party, reddi/tv/ has been a shithole for a while now.

>"why did frodo not just ride the eagles to morder?"

because there were Nazgul flying around on Fellbeasts. Duh.

The invisibility aspect of wearing the ring is more like an unintended side effect of the magic of the ring. Like the ring is designed for a specific person for a specific outcome when someone else wears it it has different effects, and it just so happens to manifest as invisibility.

And I guess Gandalf is just a little bitch right?
Just put in on the front and have him blast some magic at the nazguls.

The real question is why Peter Jackson ignored the golden opportunity to have Boys of Summer start playing as Pippin shouted, "The eagles are coming!"

I can't even tell if this is memeing at its purest form or if you're being serious

The sun is a piece of fruit on a boat.

I am not kidding when I say this.

because murdo had been guarded by the fuck flying beasts

sauron made the ring, he's the only one that can use it properly. the invisibility was just a trick he put in it to make other people wear it if it got lost, so that they would want to wear it, and in turn signal where they were and would become corrupted.

They explain it in the books. It's basically that the ring is a part of Sauron, so he has complete control over it; wearing it increases his power somehow, and invisibility are just one of many abilities it grants.

Ordinary folk are slaves to its power, and only invisibility is granted while wearing it. It is no doubt a very addictive and powerful ability on its own, as seen by the degradation of Smeagol or Bilbo in character over time.

does the ring represent drugs?

fucking hell mate

Why did Sauron "die" when his hand was cut by Isildor? Was it because he and the ring were seperated?

Tolkien specifically said not to take anything in the books as allegory

so ___________yes__

Why are the Ringwraiths afraid of water? They're literally spectral beings in capes

>no pls don't get my robe wet

They're French.

In European mythology and folklore, running water has often been a barrier for evil creatures, so I guess he was drawing on this.

Tolkien's gods have no physical presence. In order to influence the world they have to put some of their power into it, or they have to make themselves a physical body, which eats up a lot of power that is then permanently lost if the body is destroyed. Sauron watched his boyfriend drain himself into invalidity seeding evil into the world, he watched the Valar and elves dwindle in power, and he himself lost his body a few times. So he decided to cheat and put all of his power into a ring, where it would be safe regardless of what happened to him. If he got his ring back, he'd be on the same power level as he was during the Last Alliance, in a world that had seen 3000 weary years amble past since.

Also, he didn't get defeated after his ring was taken. He was defeated, THEN the Ring was taken away. Sauron might have been the first ever sorcerer and a brilliant general, but he sucked major ass in combat even when he was in his prime. He once got gnawed into submission by a magical dog.

Ok, but the big question

Water is the domain of Ulmo, the one Vala who kept directly helping the peoples of Middle Earth. Ghostly minions of some cut-rate Maiar aren't going to mock water that has the power of a fucking god in it.

by boyfriend do you mean morgoth

He was probably fucking Gothmog on the side, but yeah. What's a maia of Aule without a hammer to play with, and Melkor had the biggest hammer of them all.

How come Sauron could still control the Death eaters without the ring? How come Frodo couldn't? I thought the whole entire point of the ring was to bind the guys with the lesser rings

Why didn't the eagles send the Dwarves all the way to the Lonely Mountain or at least even Laketown

those faggots just leave them in another mountain top

Because the eagles are pricks. That's literally the answer to all the eagle related questions

I like this question. Maybe because the Ring is loyal to Sauron and not to Frodo? Can someone who puts way too much thought in the books/movie answer him. I like it when you people are nerding out.

Because their quest didn't matter to the Vala that Thorondir and his Eagles served. It was a personal request from Gandalf. They had their own duties.

By that point the control of the rings was no longer needed. Frodo lacked the willpower, what with being a lazy hobbit.

The ring enhanced natural powers and desires of any race that wore it. In the book it was stated that hobbits were small, barely noticed. They liked to be left alone. So the ring made hobbits invisible. Think of how men reacted when presented with the ring. The desire to build a great empire and thinking they could use it for good. Think of how that elf bitch wished to use the ring. Make herself even more beautiful and revered. It corrupts people by speaking to their inner most desire.

What would happen if you put the ring on a severed human finger?

I dont even know if this is the right answer but it sure makes sense. Nazgul can prob outfly and eagle and bring the ring directly to Sauron once it kills Frodo

The ring made isildur invisible. Please don't talk about LOTR until you have read the books and the silmarillion.

Nothing.

Gollum bit Frodo's finger off while he was still wearing the ring and it made Frodo visible. The ring was still attached to the finger after Frodo became visible and Gollum pulled it off.

So...nothing.

No, the eagles belonged to Manwe. They were not just taxis rented out any anyone's beckon. The quest of the dwarves didn't matter to anyone besides the dwarves, it was only that gandalf asked them for help that they took them as far as they did, but then they had to get back to their posts, most importantly to watch over The Necromancer who was Sauron.

Because The Enemy was watching for attack from that direction. He did not expect them to take the back entrance.

Oh yeah, forgot that. Does the ring work if I put it on my toe or swallow it?

Why didn't tom bombadil stop the shire getting destroyed?

He didn't care.

really makes you think

When would he start caring

Type it into google and pick one of the jillion answers, memefaggot

Probably when mr willow gets his roots chopped for being an asshole.

When some fucker steps into his forest.

>the Hobbit ability to go undetected is constantly referenced in the films
>the ring makes Frodo and Bilbo invisible
>Sauron really liked and wanted power and was already a powerful being
>the ring made him even more powerful

Even a fucking idiot like me who has never read the books or particularly analysed the films can glean that the ring probably just enhances the wearers natural abilities/tendencies.

If the elves were so skilful at making things and so wise, how did they not discover electricity or advance their weapons beyond bows and arrows for the 10s of thousands of years since they first existed?

10/10 this is on par with the high ground meme.

>who is Isildur
You have no fucking excuse, it was in the movie even.

>have exactly ONE location where the key to your entire existence can be destroyed
>not having even a small orc faction of your gigantic fucking army guarding the entrance at all times JUST IN CASE
deserved what he got 2bh

Put yourself in Tolkien's shoes
>I need Isildur to not destroy the ring and get away from Elrond but not kill Elrond because that will directly fuck with the political climate I am going to mostly be portraying in this series of novels.
>alright I'll make it so it turns him invisible but if any fucking nerds ask I'll just say that in that particular moment his desire to slip away undetected was so great that the ring responded to that

What's your fucking excuse?

The ring amplifies skills you already have.

If you're a Hobbit it turns your stealthiness into full on invisibility.

If you're a man it turns you into a superpowered warrior.

If you're an Elf it turns you into a magical motherfucker.

If you're a Maiar it turns you into a god.

>durr what would happen if you put da ring on penis XD

>tfw i put the ring on and acquire the skill to be supernaturally useless and depressed

Mount Doom technically had less security than an inner-city 7-11 on saturday night.
For real though I don't think he counted on anyone having the balls to sneak past all the other shit in Mordor and actually make it there. He should have wised up once he figured out Frodo's game plan though.

Desperate times make for dumb decisions.

Serious question. Gandalf is magic right. Why not just conjure up a car and drive to Mordor

What if they ran out of fuel?

>tfw if the elves weren't such pricks and had rallied all of their armies instead of fucking off to the undying lands then together with man they could have stormed Mordor and spanked Sauron silly

Can't really blame them for being sick of man's bullshit but come on, what a load of faggots.

There are no roads, and the fuel is deep into the ground. There are fouler and older things than orcs in the depths of the world.

*magical literally impossible to defeat except for plot wolf dog

He'd never lost his body before making the Ring. That happened twice after, first in Numenor and second when he lost the Ring for good.

Tbqh the moment Mordor started being naughty they should have built a huge barricade that funnelled anything coming out of Mordor so they had to go through Bombadil's woods to get anywhere. Tom would have rinsed the armies of Mordor for trespassing on his land and if Sauron himself showed up would have bum raped him while singing him campy songs about how he shouldn't be such a naughty boy.

it effects different races differently, men don't turn invisible either (isildur)

Look at middle earth and then look at present day earth. Wouldst thou not rather live deliciously in simpler times?

POO IN LOO

>not even putting up a fucking fence around it
Sauron was a bit of a dummy, eh

Why didn't they just take the Ring to the Undying Lands?