Is Fight Club overrated?

Is Fight Club overrated?

Is Fight Club underrated?

Is Fight Club rated?

meh

How is Fight Club rated?

Is Fuck Night retroretarded?

It's a piece of shit, truth be told. People only like it because they think it makes them special because they understand the deep meaning behind it. Muh consumerism, muh shitty society, muh unexpected plot twist.

I wasn't crazy about the ending, but still one of my favorite movies.

Is Fight Club

Over and underrated are pleb terms.

It's a work of genius, to be honest. People don't like it because they think it makes them edgy and because they're neckbeards. Muh contrarianism, muh superior taste, muh disdain for cinema.

No.

>Muh consumerism, muh shitty society

That's the opposite of what it is.

This.
I think it was underrated at the time, but it's properly rated now, just for the wrong reasons.

How about you think for yourself for once you waste of space faggot, instead asking an anonymous image board what to think.

Well, you clearly didn't understand the ''deep meaning''. It makes you question everything , Tyler and the narrator are 2 extremes.
The Narrator says his eyes are open in the end, he has found the balance - he is no longer a slave of consumerism, he is no longer a terrorist fighting against it. He has found his medium and himself.

>Project Anarchy turns into a corporation with files, strict rules and a uniform.

I mean project mayhem.

this is my opinion
Absolutely. This movie is gorgeous, I can't really say I dislike anything about it. Edward Norton and Brad Pitt did an excellent job, but David Fincher fucking blew my mind with this one. I have yet to find a more immersive film.

>shooting yourself in the side of your mouth magically gets rid of your alternate personality

Was this ever explained?

Yes, bad writing.

In the real world, ya it's overrated. But on Sup Forums not so much. For sure its not the end all be all of cinema, but it's not a piece of shit either. It's a very good movie that gets shit here as backlash to not only it's overrating, but it's fanbase of edgy teens

crazy people don't need logic

Faggotty millenials think everything "sucks" now.

Here I thought of this just now. His initiation into the mayhem side was that first punch. Fighting only made Tyler grow more prominent. It took something much more extreme than a punch - a gunshot - to ground him or snap him out of it. That's why he was able to find the balance. He'd seen the perks of the violent side, but having finally broken away from, he'd seen its detriments as well.

That's probably bullshit, and it's completely unthought out on my part, but it's the first thing that comes to mind

Basically he just believed really hard Tyler was gone with that shot, and he was, for a certain period of time, so much so that he comes back in Fight Club 2.

that's a good theory.
My take on things is that in the end he finally realized who he wants to be and shooting himself shows his will to start over/kill his old self. By doing that Tyler is no longer needed.

The character dies 2 times in this movie.
1. His extreme consumerism dies when he meets Tyler.
2. His anarchism dies when he shoots himself.

>makes fun of people understanding the movie and doesn't understand the movie
kek

HONEST question
As a person who absolutely loves the movie/book.
Is the second part any good?

Tyler was completely imaginary. Just as he wishes the gun into his own hand, he wished Tyler to go away. Except he wasn't sure until that point that he actually wanted Tyler gone. Him shooting himself was his affirmation that he was fully committed to the idea of Tyler being gone.

Ya, after thinking about it, I wrote this which is pretty much what you're saying. The shot is his claiming of his independence, and his display that he's finally willing to let Tyler go

Like all good things that become popular, yeah, but it's a great movie.

>because they think it makes them special

oh the irony

Wouldn't be able to tell you mate, only read about two or three numbers some time ago and I don't remember much.

When the studio saw the finished movie, they didn’t know what to do with it. They wanted to market Fight Club to women because of Pitt. But they knew the film’s violence would appeal more to men. Fincher refused to allow the studio to focus the film’s marketing campaign on Pitt and requested that they hire an ad agency to promote the film. The ad agency came up with the pink bar of soap logo which the studio considered “a bad joke”.

Fight Club was originally scheduled to be released in July. But it was delayed until August while the studio tried to figure out how to market it. Then it was delayed again which has largely been attributed to the Columbine shootings from earlier that year. When the movie was finally released, Rosie O’Donnell went on the air and blasted it. She encouraged her audience to avoid it at all costs and gave away the film’s twist ending.

Reviews for Fight Club were mixed. A lot of critics condemned it for its violence while most praised it for being stylish and for the great performances. Perhaps due to the botched marketing campaign, Fight Club under performed at the box office. However, it has found a cult audience on video.

>When the movie was finally released, Rosie O’Donnell went on the air and blasted it.

Women being women. Cunts being cunts.

No. It's a well-made film, which actively undermines the people who think they "get it" by turning the entire concept of Project Mayhem on its head, as said here
Anyone who thinks the movie is actually about tearing down consumerism and corruption is an idiot. Project Mayhem is just a front to poke fun at cult mindsets and how they end up being more in line with what they hate than they think. Don't ask questions, do as you're told, work and die for your master.

It gets flack because it appears to sophomoric types. These are the same people that gravitate toward Ayn Rand or Nietzche. People that take a tiny amount of knowledge and use it to pretend that they understand the whole world.

People liked Brad Pitt's character too much and took his "fuck the system!" agenda too serious, when actually you're supposed to think he's insane, because he is.
It's a good movie, but too many people think it's "deep bro, it's about consumerism and corporations controlling us, fight the power man".

i saw it in theatres and inspired me to start my own franchise

I liked it the first time around for some reason but on rewatch it's not that good and pretty pretentious. I haven't read the book but I still feel like the point might have been lost.

No, it's perfect.

It's one of my favorite movies to watch but not because of "deep meaning" fedora bullshit or anything. I just find it fun to watch

It seriously lags hard in the third act but I'll be fucking damned if this film doesn't have some of the best pitch-black comedy ever committed to celluloid. Plus Meat Loaf is fantastic in this movie. Fucking MEAT LOAF.

Great movie, if your experience is ruined because of some teenagers that spout memes about it then you can't hope to enjoy any popular and good film.

Pretty much this.

I saw this movie when I was 15 or so and took Tyler's anti-consumerist message without a grain of salt. Over 10 years later I find it amusing how naive my past self was.

The author of the novel stated he wanted to create a fascist idealogy that was basically about nothing. I think many of us were kids when we watched the movie for the first time and could relate to a lot of the stuff Tyler was saying. We had an excuse, we were still growing up. However, there were full-blown adults taking it for granted - some still do. And that's a scary thought.

pretty good.
seen much much better obviously

>consumerism is something everybody should grow into
just because you have given up on your ideals doesn't mean you are somehow more grown up
that said i do understand your point.

>consumerism is something everybody should grow into
That's not what I said at all. All I said was that the views expressed by Tyler is simplistic and naive, just like the people who idealize him.

>He didn't get it

LOL

Memeing aside it was a very bizarre and fun movie

neets just love the concept of it. Some beta cucked fag become a complete alpha by night and doesn't even realize how popular he is.

The ending was the best part. That's when it was over.

No, sir.

It's a fine movie. Gorgeous, well-acted, the philosophy behind it was a little trite, it's basically edgy version of existentialism 101 however it did come at an important time to critique the way people wanted to change the world in the 90s, which was a very soft (and still pro-corporate) revolution consisting of recycling and tree hugging and other stupid shit. Fight Club was one of the first movies in the 90s to say trying to fix a broken system from within is retarded and you should just destroy the system. So, as it fits into the culture at the time its important. It's a fun movie. The plot is engrossing. The acting is intense, it has sex, violence, vandalism. Ah, you gen z babbies probably weren't even born then though

EPIC XD

if anything the book is even edgier, but i still love it

Delete this

>b-but the book is better

this is actually true

well, as a matter of fact, if the plan is to destroy the banks, the big short is far more interesting on that topic.
and it's not very diificult.

I've read it, it's not that much better. It comes free on everyone's kindle

>the typeface used for the body text in the book can change from page to page.

like 10+ variations of Garamond are mixed and matched. nuts desu senpai.

>implying it's not millenials who hoisted this movie to where it is now

Overrated? Yes. Still a great film? Absolutely.

>it's basically edgy version of existentialism 101 however it did come at an important time to critique the way people wanted to change the world in the 90s, which was a very soft (and still pro-corporate) revolution consisting of recycling and tree hugging and other stupid shit. Fight Club was one of the first movies in the 90s to say trying to fix a broken system from within is retarded and you should just destroy the system

It's a satire you dunce.

It's a good film but it suffers from two things.
Cutting a lot of the character of Marla(the relationship in the book actually follows a a natural progresion and Sebastian along with Marla confess their love). And a lot of people miss the point of the story, which is more explicit in the book.
I never got how people can't get irony of wanting to go from slaves of the system to slaves of some dude with mental problems

He's an intellectual giant. I'm just saying there's nothing more annoying than a 19 year old who just discovered Nietzche.

I know what you meant. I just wanted to 'meme' like the cool kids.

they will never make another movie like this post 9/11

POO IN LOO

It's baffling, how a movie which says being special is an illusion makes so many young people feel special.
The nihilism in this is lost on its audience.

I've never viewed it like that. I just enjoy it because it's a comfy satirical black comedy with good acting and fun characters.

>underrated at the time
Hell, it was more than underrated. You had so many hundreds of people missing the point and the tongue in cheek humour that it ended up being regarded as fascist propaganda and labelled as disturbing and disgusting. All you have to do is listen to Norton in the commentary say something along the lines of "how can you possibly look at this assortment of moronic frat boys and think this film is pro fascist?".

at the time it was pretty great. rosie odonell said it made her sick and she walked out which made it twice as good

This.

For me it's a movie that should be watched at least once every couple of years because you can always extract something more from it, whether it be another piece of the puzzle that you didn't catch last time in regards to the plot, or extraneous details just out of focus in certain scenes that indicate Jack's state of mind at that particular moment in time.

I was too stupid when I was younger to realise the irony in the fact that the narrator is so brainwashed by mindless consumerism, his boring 9-5 job and the lack of fun or optimism in his life that he conjures up Tyler who is essentially the embodiment of those very things: he wears expensive underwear, has perfect hair, tall, tanned, handsome, in perfect physical shape and most importantly is completely unrestrained in every way the narrator is due to the freedom of his job as someone who just seems to own a soap factory.

There's just so many aspects to the narrator that I feel most men in the 21st century can relate to. The feelings of inadequacy, insecurity and that you're just following the braindead masses of people in an endless cycle of buying things and being unhappy, then buying more things and just staying unhappy because of the false promise of a dream of a better life.

In addition to this, feeling emasculated, depressed and alone are things that most males these days who aren't super popular and well balanced can acknowledge and appreciate - this is why I think the movie got a slightly bad reputation as the community of atheist, katana wielding basement dwelling virgins flocked to its notions of nihilism and shitting on everything mainstream - but this wasn't the main intention of the movie (in my opinion).

I think giving MEN a very real, primal release is why the film is so enjoyable. People who usually felt powerless in their daily lives could become a hero overnight, underground, where only the initiated could see and respect their accomplishments.

It's a damn good movie, the problem was people treating Durden like a prophet, which is missing the point of his character as Palahniuk wrote him.

Thinking he was completely nuts is a little off the mark too, but it's closer. Tyler Durden was supposed to be smart and charismatic, as most successful cult leaders are. The story touched on multiple themes, but the point of that is basically that Tyler is right that complacent consumerism isn't the key to fulfillment and belonging, but was wrong in his solution to try to collapse the very system to its knees. The point was that the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

MOOOOOM I NEED MORE TENDIES

There's a million movies out there. Why settle for just this one?

le epic imaginary friend plot twist and le super sekret club ruined the movie
it is a 10/10 movie when it's just two losers punching eachother

>"Hitting bottom isn't a weekend retreat"

I think it was because it was the final part of the narrator's transformation. The one which Tyler himself says he is in charge of. One of the themes is about being built up after hitting bottom, and I'd say attempting to an hero is about as far down as you go. In that sense, Tyler disappearing was just incidental. The fact is, there was no more use for Tyler as his purpose was fulfilled, thus he disappeared.

The movie is really an exploration of the post-modern masculine identity, a la American Psycho and other films of the late 90s, early 00s.

No

Yes, but for the wrong reasons.

I can't believe Palahniuk made a 'Fight Club 2', it seems very redundant. Has anyone read it though?

>People that take a tiny amount of knowledge and use it to pretend that they understand the whole world.
Like this cunt.

good post

Marla starts going to group therapy again with children with progeria. It's fucking stupid.

It's another "tv hates a movie they used to like because the normies like it now and it's cool to seem contrarian and i saw it when i was like fucking ten how can i still like things that i liked when i was ten".

Fuck millenials.

I read a small snippet of it, as someone that really enjoyed the movie and the book, it's meme as fuck. It starts cramming all the quoteable shit from the first movie into it almost immediately.

>shooting yourself in the mouth to prove to yourself your alter ego doesn't exist
Isn't it more i just shot myself in the mouth because i'm so crazy that i literally thought i just killed my alter ego?