Good albums ruined by shit production

Good albums ruined by shit production

I can barely even hear the vocals.

I can barely even hear the vocals.

I can hear the vocals too well.

really
it's meant to be noisy

That must be placebo then because there are mostly no vocals on that album, it's post-rock.

That's no excuse for putting the vocals way back in the mix. How am I supposed to sing along to vocals that sound like a girl whispering next to a jet-engine?

Well I can sing along with the vocal melodies on that album and I certainly don't consider myself endowed with superhuman hearing

pj harvey has herpie lips

MBDTF
every Porcupine Tree album
every punk album

Why were Rush's albums so poorly produced?

probably because they're bad musicians that don't take pride in their craft because they know retards will buy it anyway

that's god-tier production tbqh

oh fuck off

Not necessarily shit but dated for sure

I actually enjoy shitty production tho

ya that's because you're shitty yourself

I can't tell if this is an even more meta joke or if you didn't get the joke

was about to post vapor trails.
terrible

Because the invisible hand of the free market said so. Probably some libertarian bullshit like that.
Also

shitty production has a certain charm to it sometimes. depends on the album.

not even that good, but the production definitely killed it

what does production even mean

By todays terms
>instrumentals in hip hop

By past terms
>how loud and quiet each instrument is

"Ruined" is a strong word but it definitely detracts from my enjoyment of it. And any other modern djent album really. They all suffer from the same glaring issues: they're overproduced as fuck, the drums are all obvious, horrible sounding samples, and they're all mastered way too loudly.

If you've listened to the remaster, you know what I'm talking about. The original mix is so bad, that it made the musicians playing on it sound inept.

it's actually incredible how wrong everyone itt is, to the point that I assume it's some kind of ironic shitposting thing

like even for Sup Forums a torrent of opinions THIS bad and THIS edgy is just inconceivable

so bad albums?

Conversely, the 40th Anniversary remaster (mixed by Fripp and Steven Wilson) was so fucking good that it ruined all other mixes of the album for me.

Albums made great by bad production?

The mono mix is better

inb4 selly ester watts field

Dated yeah, but still an excellent album

Forgot the image

This.
This whole pristine, crystal-clear sound of today has no depth, leaves no lasting impression and doesn't invite further immersive listenings.

>dat overcompression
I wish they'd get their shit together and release something amazing again.

The mixing/production sounds great until the songs after "Harmony". I think they actually said in an interview they never finished the mastering session.

i quite like the production on that album, its sorta refreshing.

Which they are. Thats kind of the point

I know, but the original mix made them even worse.

I imagine that the remaster version of the album has the sound they wanted. Remaster came only 24 years later. I'm glad it did though, because the original mix is emberassingly bad, but the remaster is so good that it would probably be the sound I'd go for when I make an album.

>MBDTF
Please do tell

kys

?
that record is brickwalled to shit
clipping everywhere

Listening to it right now, what's wrong with it?

I feel the same way but it's kind of complicated

Every instrument on the album is so clean and polished to the point where I can't even imagine a human playing it. Not in a "wow this is so complex I can't believe a human is playing this", but more "this is so lifeless and dull it sounds like it was written using music software sample instruments and played back". Even the big djenty breakdowns lose a ton of impact because the production lessens the heaviness of the guitars which is one of the only things the genre even has going for it

And the worst part about it is that it sounds exactly the same live.

imo it's a good mix that makes the guitars sound good. it's a rock mix you know