Give me the essential John Carpenter

give me the essential John Carpenter

I've already seen Mouth of Madness, Prince of Darkness and The Thing. Absolutely loved MM and TT, but prince was pretty underwhelming.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kacVsIDiARQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tell the truth OP. Red Letter Media talking about John Carpenter's film in thier last re:Veiw prompted you to create this thread didn't it .

Assault on Precinct 12
Halloween
They Live
Escape from New York
The Fog
Big Trouble in Little China

Escape From New York
Big Trouble In Little China
Halloween
They Live

That re:View actually inspired me to start my 80's script over from scratch.

Halloween
Escape form NY
They live
Assault on precent 13

they live is a libfag propaganda

Christine is a good Stephen King adaptation

>she looks like she might be brainy... but she has the body of a SLUT

Fuck off

He's an inventive guy, lots of interesting ideas, but unfortunately the stylistic choices to which he always held true were not universal. Most of his films feel fairly dated and corny (though Halloween feels dated the way Psycho feels dated). As such his work that embraced the cornballiness, i.e. Big Trouble in Little China or They Live, holds up the best. The one glaring exception to everything I've said is The Thing, which has a truly bleak atmosphere and holds up extremely well to this day.

I never found In the mouth of madness to be corny. It certainly doesn't give off a self-aware vibe but IMO it holds up very well

I Had to force myself through Mouth of madness.
The idea of a authors writing coming to life is the stupidest shit ever. How am I supposed to get into that.

>just turn off your brain bro

well yeah prince of darkness is about a portal to Hell opening below a church. You kinda need to know what you're getting into

>TFW we never got a John Carpenter directed miniseries of Stephen King's The Stand.

Read some H.P. Lovecraft first. Then it will make more sense what Carpenter was trying to do with this film.

Halloween
Assault on Precinct 13
Escape from New York
Christine
Starman
Darkstar
The Fog
Big Trouble in Little China

I avoided The Fog for a long time because I heard how much Carpenter hated the final product. Damn if that film was much better than I expected.

oh shi

He really underrates it. It has flaws but it has an amazing atmosphere and score.

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Starman? Is it because it's so drastically different from the rest of Carpenter's filmography? It's a surprisingly touching film.

I dunno, nobody ever talks about Memoirs of an Invisible Man or Village of the Damned either

Yeah but those films were panned and aren't fondly remembered. Starman got pretty good reviews when it came out and is still well regarded amongst critics but I never see Carpenter fans talk about it.

I've watched 95% of his work.
I just have no interest in starman for whatever reason.

>I've watched 95% of his work.
Which films of his haven't you seen? How would you rank his filmography?

jokes on u pal, she already dead

I gotta disagree here
>literal heavy metal guitar in the opening credits
>Sam Neil's freak out acting
>the prosthetic effects that never achieved quite the level of visceral detail that made The Thing effects so believably gross

Carpenter's score itself, as usual, added to the cheesiness. Still kind of a neat movie imho, but not one that has held up particularly well over time.

Halloween 3 is technically not a john carpenter film but he still had alt to do with it so it basically is. its great so long as you watch it as its own thing and not a "halloween michael myers" movie.

Halloween 3 is my favorite.

Prince of Darkness is a pleb filter if I ever saw one

Quite literally the opposite.

Halloween 3 is awesome, and it does exactly what Carpenter wanted... make it an anthology series instead of an endless series of Micheal Myers rehashes.

John is literally Lovecraft man.

DUDE WHY WOULD WE WANT TO SEE SOMETHING DIFFERENT BRO, I JUST WANT TO SEE A MASKED MURDERER THAT CANT DIE PRETEND TO BE DEAD OVER AND OVER AGAIN THEN GET UP AND START KILLING AGAIN LMAO WTF IS SO HARD ABOUT THAT JOHN CARPENTER YOU FUCKING WEAK ASS VIDEO GAME PLAYING BALD ASS NIGGA, SHIET
ALSO THE THING SUCKED BALLS BITCH, ALIENS AINT EVEN REAL THEY ARE FORBIDDEN IN THE BIBLE SON, AND THE FOG IS A FUCKING ADVERTISEMENT FOR VAPE PENS SHILL ASS NIGGA

the soundtrack is fucking GOAT too
youtube.com/watch?v=kacVsIDiARQ

Bazinga

Prince of Darkness has to be his most underrated work of all time.

Plesae no mom mom!

I thought In The Mouth of Madness's ending was particularly unsettling.

You even see Deep Ones in the film.

I put speakers in my front windows and play the Halloween 3 soundtrack every halloween.

They Live
Escape from New York

both are a must watch

I've always had a deep respect for Carpenter. His entire filmography feels so humble despite the fact that he's pretty well known.

His whole career gives off this vibe, in fact. And I can never say he's made a truly god awful film, every movie I've seen him direct has redeemable qualities that make them at least watchable. The fact that he was one of the first (if not THE first, I'm not sure there) directors to intentionally make Lovecraftian horror movies, which is still pretty niche and underdone even today, I also find pretty commendable. Hell he might have even assisted in the modern popularity surge that Lovecraft's works have received.