Is there any reason at all why this movie is considered good other than

Is there any reason at all why this movie is considered good other than

>DUDE CINEMATOGRAPHY LMAO

It had the potential to be the most thought provoking and mind blowing piece of cinema ever released, but instead it drowns anything remotely interesting in layers of soul crushing monotony. As if that wasn't enough, It throws all of it's interesting concepts away on a shitty, lazy, avant-teen ending. if 15 minutes of baseless psychedelia is enough to satisfy you after waiting through 2 hours of buttfuck nothing for some kind of resolution, i'm happy for you. But don't think it's anything short of a fucking cop out.

the whole movie is basically just a two hour long tech demo for star wars.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~EtInArcadiaEgo
kubrick2001.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Learn to use hyphens you daft cunt.

>IM SORRY DAVE
>IM AFRAID I CANT DO THAT DAVE
the jupiter voyage was the only good part. all that shit in the beginning was pointless.

Wut

2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner are both only praised because of their visuals/special effects.
Both have horrible writing/execution though.

>the jupiter voyage was the only good part
This, but even that became boring. HAL 9000 was deactivated in less than 5 minutes.

How old are you two?

all that shit in the beginning was one of the movie's redeeming qualities

2001: A Space Odyssey is not entertaining.
The stuff in the beginning IS important, but the movie meanders for way too long with nothing to do.
And what the monolith triggers later on in the movie seems minuscule in comparison to human evolution.

2001 was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. worst part is that it has good cinematography that was wasted. if Kubrick took his head out of his ass he could have been as good as Welles

BR and 2001 are extremely entertaining though
have you seen l'avventura?

Idk about 2001 but I watched blade runner and shit was so boring it took all I had in me to not just tune that shit off

Delete this

>have you seen l'avventura?
Not yet, but it's on my list.
The only entertaining part of 2001 was the beginning of the Jupiter voyage.
And the only entertaining part of Blade Runner was the last 10 minutes and that scene where Deckard kills the replicant that was hiding in the strip club.

>2001 is boring.

People who think this are boring.

I still can't believe I had to watch Harrison Ford rape a robot. Who thought that should be in the movie?
I haven't gotten around to Alien yet, I hope it's not as terrible.

2001 is the quintessential pleb filter. If you're looking for narrative, "resolution" (lmao), characters, and dialogue, you're going to be smacked in your fat complacent baby face like the nasty little brainlet you are. This isn't a television show or a play, it's cinema i.e. visual art. You pay attention to the rhythm of the camera's movement as it tracks the development of the human species, not the banter. You pay attention to the way the intricate and interlocking images reflect complex ideas about technology and thought, not the gunfights and edgy antiheroes. You pay attention to the innovative set design that changed the public conception of space forever, you pay attention to how the music is subtly synchronized with the editing, you pay attention to the unique and rigorous film grammar, you pay attention to how every frame, every pixel, is crafted with superhuman precision and intelligence, and then you appreciate how these images represent not a story but its visual equivalent, and even more, it's ideas. The entertainment comes from analyzing, thinking, and studying how the film changes the way you think and feel about the world, the entertainment comes from the sublime thrill of watching beauty emerge from the abstract systems that govern our lives and grab you by the balls. There's no cheap surprise from sudden twists or violence, it's totally sincere intellectual pleasure.

Go watch Sicario or The Sopranos if you want to play fantasy and stop thinking. This film is too hard for you if you think it's boring, I mean that very seriously. You are either too stupid or too ignorant too appreciate it, so you frolic in your piss and whine about how it didn't hold your hand.

I've never seen this one before.

>If you're looking for narrative, "resolution" (lmao), characters, and dialogue, you're going to be smacked in your fat complacent baby face like the nasty little brainlet you are.
m8 i was just looking for a movie that wasn't a total borefest

well, watch l'avventura and re-evaluate what an entertaining movie is

I don't know know how you did it, but you somehow managed to stretch "dude cinematography lmao" into a full paragraph

bravo

>Both have horrible writing/execution though.
You're mistaking slow pacing for horrible writing and execution. Maybe you'll understand when you're older. :^)

>the ADHD underage Sup Forums capeshit fans can't stand anything without explosions or quippy dialogue

I don't know why I come I here anymore

Don't forget to take your ADD meds :^)

you realize there's a middle ground between capeshit and slow as molasses films?

I'm not watching it anytime soon, but okay.

So you're not only bad at watching movies but you're also illiterate. Bad combination.

Do me a favor and the next time you're thinking about what movie to watch, just stick to mob movies or capeshit. Choose the lazier, stupider option, because that one's always going to be the best for double-digit IQ morons like you. I don't want to see your dumbass opinions on art that was too difficult for you ever again, and you don't want to watch good films--this solution works out for both of us.

The retort of "dude cinematography lmao" is not an argument. You'll have to explain why cinematography is not a valid criterion in evaluating a film.

Writing > Visuals always.
Dredd is leagues ahead of Blade Runner.

>implying thats the case here

be honest with yourself, you only like bright, loud noises that satisfy your retard-tier attention span.

2001 is literally nothing but bright lights and loud noises lmao what

If I cared about writing, I'd read a book.

ok mate

I am being honest. you can check my movie taste here:
rateyourmusic.com/~EtInArcadiaEgo

>MUH PLOT

You have mental retardation.

(you)

writing is obviously important but if the movie is bland and dull looking as shit its a serious detriment to the movie.

>Dredd is leagues ahead of Blade Runner

I love Dredd but cmon man

you have awful taste man
find a new hobby

No one has to enjoy 2001 obviously, i mean its not an incredibly entertaining film

But if you can't at least acknoledge its impact on film making and that its an impeccably well made film every standard and just go AHHFGFHG ITS BOOOORING NOTHING HAPPENS then you dont know shit

What are your favorite movies?

>I rate movies
>no movie deserves five stars

yeah it's well made of course it's well made
but it's also one of the most boring pieces of shit to ever exist

Wut

So many plebs in this board.

>boring
What did you think was boring about it?

Too quiet. Scenes went on for too long. Several scenes irrelevant to the rest of the movie.
And from all the pop culture references to HAL 9000 and his iconic scene of saying no to Dave, I initially expected the movie to be a psychological sci-fi thriller.
But the conflict of HAL 9000 was handled quickly and without incident.

The only thing I really liked was the concept of the monoliths.

la matanza (1934)
un matin d'avril, pieds frois (2005)
knights and flags (1944)

go watch xmen apocaderps

kubrick2001.com/

those aren't real m ovies

well, they're hard to find but you must at least have heard of them if you are into cinema

Literally the most pleb opinion about movies there is.

Do you have literature class in your school? Where you should learn to form proper opinion instead of epic hashtags like "dude cinematography lmao".

where does one find them

european filmotheques
i saw two of them in milan and one in vienna

>he didn't get it: the post

>he doesn't get kino: the post

Some people really just cant into kino. The sign of a true pleb is a confused view of the relationship between entertainment media and art and the resulting belief that the function of art is entertainment.

this thread is so fucking retarded

“Cinematography” is the quintessential pleb filter. If you're looking for cinematography, "film grammar" (lmao), set design, and imagery, you're going to be smacked in your fat pretentious baby face like the nasty little brainlet you are. This isn't a painting or a sculpture, it's cinema i.e. narrative art. You pay attention to the complexities of dialogue that reveals the inner workings of relationships, not the wide angle shots. You pay attention to the way established characters change under pressure, like a human chemical reaction, not the scene transitions and color compositions. You pay attention to the groundbreaking stories that linger in the collective social consciousness, you pay attention to how a story can highlight parallels in real world experiences, you pay attention to the unique and rigorous performances of actors immersed in the lives of someone else, you pay attention to how every word, every syllable, is crafted with superhuman precision and intelligence, and then you appreciate how this story represents not just ideas but its humanized equivalent, and even more, it's a narrative. The entertainment comes from analyzing, thinking, and studying how the film changes the way you think and feel about the world, the entertainment comes from the sublime thrill of watching beauty emerge from the abstract systems that govern our lives and grab you by the balls.There's no cheap surprise from pretty pictures and symmetrical framing, it's totally sincere intellectual pleasure.

Go stare at the works of Matisse or Braque if you want to look down a kaleidoscope and stop thinking. This art form is too hard for you if you think it's visual, I mean that very seriously. You are either too stupid or too ignorant to appreciate it, so you frolic in your piss and whine about how it didn’t provide you with eye candy.

You had a good opportunity but messed up because you skimmed and thought his point was visuals vs. audio and satirized that straw man. Then you ended up being wrong anyway because kino actually is primarily visual and secondarily auditory.

I'm assuming this is meant to be ironic. If not, you could try reading the comment again.

i love you

based

Brilliant. Nice writing, I mean that. People will disagree because they fall into that pleb category. I wouldn't say 2001 is the end all be all of cinema, but it's flawless and absolutely is a great pleb filter

this guy is right

>i like narrative storytelling
>so i watch movies
???

>it drowns anything remotely interesting in layers of soul crushing monotony
It really doesn't, the movie isn't as slow paced as people pretend it to be.

This. There are way slower movies and way less clear movies in terms of plot. That's why it's such good pleb filter. If they can't even handle 2001, they really have shitty shitty taste

>i mean yeah i guess but i fell asleep and my gf left hours ago so if if no one wants to watch it who cares lmao ??
I do believe 2001 is a goof dilm but you shouldn't rip someone who wants something to enjoy.