/daily/ - Chicken Nugget Edition

Post nugs

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

>discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
/daily/ discord, pls join

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/FollowingLeader/daily/
youtube.com/watch?v=P_2075Xp9Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=sKLPa4vth5s
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/camel/mirage/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tendies > Nugs

I want you to always remember that I could kill anyone of you microdicked losers with my bare hands.

not even wrong but only post about nugs itt thanks

me first pls

mcnuggets

Nug

Home made nuggets made from chicken thighs is fucking delicious, but I guess it's really just fried chicken and not nuggets when you don't use chicken mash.

I wonder if this track would've affected me as much if it weren't for the circumstance, but this is one of the most enjoyable songs this dude has made in a long time imo. What did y'all think about it?

good stuff

Agreed It's not even that hard either.

its a good song, but it feels like he paid more attention to making it sound sad than writing it musically

Super easy. Batter is basically just flour, baking powder and a bit of water, with whatever spices you want (I usually go with coriander, chili, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and some lemon juice). Dip in batter, fry that shit up. Delicious. For added greatness, roll in panko after batter.

Can't say I loved it, actually. Feels a little too much like a Mark Kozelek put-on. Touching narrative, of course, but I can't call it an interesting song otherwise.

The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

>Pop rock, Psychedelic Rock (?)

So far, their most polished, consistent album. There's a lot of fairly interesting songs, and even a few very good ones, particualrly Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, and Tomorrow Never Knows. Still, it's a Beatles album, meaning it comes with the standard Beatles flaws: fade-outs, simple somgwriting, repetition without development.

>4/5

Sgt Pepper's after this, then it's Long Season for rating #100

>Feels a little too much like a Mark Kozelek put-on
100% less Panera Bread tho

>Long Season for rating #100
pan it or I log off forever

Not far off though, friendo. A hyper-detailed account of buying a backpack.

nuggetfags should be exterminated

Weirdly I'm expecting an extreme score, either super good or super shit

Just for you

expect average or super good

Yes I am fucking sorry

its hard to hate long season unless it's for non-musical reasons, in which case you're just a bad person

Speaking of Long Season, I still need to listen to it. Maybe I'll listen to it tonight and share my thoughts.

STOP. FEEDING. THE FISH.

>nowhere on campus to get the nug
I'm gonna DIE FUCK

There are plenty reasons I could think of someone would dislike it. I certainly wouldn't say it's a love or hate thing either.

98.12.28 however, I can't fathom someone really disliking it. Of course, people do, but I am really waiting for the day someone gives it a meaningful negative review.

do

I HUNGER FOR THE NUG

i could see people disliking long season yeah but outright hating it i wouldn't understand, same goes for 98.12.28
obviously I'm biased though

Currently binging through Sup Forums essentials and Devin Townsend.

A fan of nuggets, strips, and tenders.

>old high school "friend" just sent me pics of "nugs" (literally just weed)
>just remembering we talked about Blind Willie Johnson in my music class
>remembering we also talked about Ryoji Ikeda in my digital art class
is /daily/ leaking irl? What is really and what is online?

listen 2 fishmans pal-o

Do it!

Welcome! Are those your favorites or albums you plan on checking out soon?

which daily trip has the fatest cock? purely scientific my motive

I can't listen to this anymore because it reminds me of someone I really hate. It's probably better than I give it credit for though.

youtube.com/watch?v=P_2075Xp9Cw
This was a jam for me freshman year

>dj screw - all screwed up
this is the trippiest thing i've ever listened to. it fucking bangs in the most lethargic, gross way describable. the three track run from Tell Me Something Good through My Mind Went Blank is absolutely entrancing. Inside Looking Out is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.
me

CASH ME OUTSIDE HOW BOUT DAT

hampus posted his and it was teeny weenie ):

CLT is fucking HUNG though

Throoowback...
I covered Secret of the Easy Yoke my first time playing live for an audience

They are the albums I've listened to lately

Alright, I'm gonna get through this eventually. Some good shit so far!

Perry Leopold - Experiment in Metaphysics
>Psychedelic Folk, American Primitivism

Basically 70s folk with a huge amount of Fahey influence thrown in. Honestly, this whole thing felt like a middle ground between Fahey and Leonard Cohen, with those sweeping guitar sections during the lyrical moments and more primitivism during the instrumental passages. The guitar work is great and Leopold’s voice is great as well. The lyrics can get a bit schmaltzy at times but you tend to get that with something spiritual/psychedelic like this. Not a huge complaint though. Anyway, he’s pretty great at meshing two of my favorite styles and it results in a damn good album.

I dig it.

3.5/5

Graham Lambkin - Salmon Run
>Sound Collage, Music Concrete

What a weird disturbing listen, oh my. Most of this album is just samples of classical sounding violins and nature sounds in a grainy, lo-fi environment. There’s also a few times where Lambkin adds his own vocals, which are in the form of laughs and even grunts and loud breathing sounds on the song “Jumpskins”. It basically sounds like a twisted version of a Caretaker album, with the occasional little vocal element. I went into this with an open mind but I still don’t think it’s my style of music. The first few tracks were fairly peaceful but it dove into this horror show of grating samples and disturbing vocal elements.

I can see what he was going for. And it’s really good at creating an off-putting, disturbing atmosphere. Great in moments, it just wasn’t my style. Probably a bit too experimental for my tastes.

2.5/5

Ascension was fucking wild. As my first free jazz album it was very enjoyable for about 10 minutes, but after that it got very tiring. Still, a very interesting listen which I will probably revisit after I listen to more jazz. 6/10

Which minimalism album should I do

>Stella Luna - Stargazer
A wonderful little shoegaze ep. Something that always sucks me into what i'm listening to is an artist that makes you feel like you are in a vast open space and that is exactly what this ep does. The album starts with what sounds like a rocket taking off over a wind swept plane before erupting is fuzzy goodness. Bombastic slow moving melodies over droning guitar textures with sweet male and female vocals that have a sort of hazy quality of their own. Short and too the point without any fluff, it's a shame this is the only release from the band.
8/10

long season is great minimalism
aww look at you guys droning each other when will you kiss

Sweet, you have a RYM or favorites chart? I'd be interested in seeing what else you're into.

Nice, you've really been flying through those Trane albums.

Agree with you on Ascension. I'm usually not a fan of using a big band in free jazz and there's way too much going on honestly.

I've been meaning to check out that Steve Reich album, I say you check that one out.

Glassworks is great, didn't love Different Trains, personally

>long season is great minimalism
I'll do it later I promise
>I've been meaning to check out that Steve Reich album, I say you check that one out.
Will do

meant to quote

youtube.com/watch?v=sKLPa4vth5s

Oh shit, yeah we are droning each other. For the record, I started my chart first lmao

haha lmao

looool

good taste desu dj screw was a legend

L
M
A
O

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

>Psychedelic Pop, Pop Rock

My overwhelming feeling is best expressed as: "What the fuck?"

This is their Magnum Opus? More sources than any other cite this as their best album, their peak and an absolute mastery of songwriting, performance and production. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band.

But to me, this is a huge step in the wrong direction. Their previous albums were so much more interesting, clean and polished. Sgt. Pepper's... feels bland. Really bland. And even lazy, at times. There are a few standout tracks, but the rest doesn't really do anything. It just feels boring. Maybe I just don't get it.

2.5/5

Yes, this does put Help! over Sgt. Peppers, in my eyes. Maybe that makes me retarded, maybe it doesn't, I don't know.

hehehehooo

whoa
what an informed and well articulated opinion

Not as bland as this review am i right gals?

Oh

this doesn't look half bad if you imagine it's a dress

>This is their Magnum Opus?

I mean, I think plenty of people would put Abbey Road or White Album in that spot too. I think Sgt Peppers is so popular and acclaimed because it's their most psychedelic album and it in turn reflects the culture/time.

>Maybe that makes me retarded, maybe it doesn't, I don't know

It's cool, most of this general likes to shit on the Beatles from what I can tell.

they're right desu, your review makes 0 actual comments on the music besides it being boring/bland

>hating on jnco

I mean if you want more specific thoughts about an album just ask!

But other than that,

Hmm...

You're right honestly. I wrote a shit review. Let me try again:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

>Psychedelic Pop, Pop Rock

While Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band is often credited as The Beatles' best album, their Magnum Opus, if you will, I thought it was really a few steps in the wrong direction. On the previous two albums, the songwriting and instrumentation were much more clean, exciting, and varied. Sgt. Pepper's, on the other hand, has a lot of tracks that don't feel original, and don't feel they had enough thought or effort put into it. And as a result, a pretty big chunk of this sounds rather bland and uninteresting, especially when compared to Rubber Soul, Revolver, and even Help!. However, there are quite a few great tracks: the title track, Within You Without You, and A Day in the Life, of course.

>2.5/5

This does put Help! over this album, in my eyes. Maybe that makes me retarded.

I don't know how much better that is, but I think I let my surprise show too much in my original review, and it became too emotion-fueled. Sorry about that.

also I'm sort of droning nat with my current chart in an indirect way so we're kind of all in this together

this one be a good one

Hmm I'll take it

>100% less Panera Bread tho
Lel

Could Hampus beat Sasuke?

Here's a favourite chart I fussied together quick

>David Thomas Broughton - Crippling Lack
Really this should get boring after 100 minutes but it just works. All the little extra parts, whether strings or synth, are subtle enough that they enhance the great guitar and vocals rather than detract and the singing really is brilliant, like Robbie Basho with a Yorkshire accent. There's a lot that could easily sound corny in the wrong hands but like I said it just works. Subtle really is the word, the way he weaves together all these musical aspects together is masterful and that's not even mentioning the depressing yet humourous lyrics. I'd normally give this a 4.5 but I'm trying to sort my ratings a bit. 4/5

>The Hecks - The Hecks
The drone interludes are a bit naff but the guitar work here is the kind of jangly, dissonant shit I like. But I still couldn't get too into it, there were a couple of tracks that I felt should have droned on but then ones that did just went nowhere. 3/5

>Rat at Rat R - Amer$ide Rock & Roll Is Dead Long Live Rat At Rat R
Not really sure why I don't like this more but some of the songs just plod along a bit, going on for 1-2 minutes longer than I want to hear them. 2.5/5

>German Error Message - After The Warmth
Nice indie folk innit. It's nearly 4am and I want to go to bed. 3/5

some chicky nugs :)

Try these.

You should check this album out
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/camel/mirage/

Ry Cooder & V.M. Bhatt - A Meeting by the River (1993)
>contemporary folk

A cool collaboration between instrumentalists of the highest caliber. Cooder and Bhatt are both absolutely astounding at their respective instruments, but the music they make amounts to something that's far too virtuosic, and far too emotionless. It's very pretty music, but unengaging and new-agey. The music has no weight to it, it's incredibly airy and not in a good way. Worth a listen because it's exceptional background music, but it's a tame, slightly eh active listen.

Shirley Collins and The Albion Country Band - No Roses (1971)
>british folk rock

I definitely like Collins with more acoustic instrumentation more, mainly because I really don't like british folk rock that much. Despite my aversion to the genre, the Albion Band certainly does a good job at making their harder-edged rock style fit well with Collins' distinctly old-timey voice and songwriting style. When they try and do their own thing and ramp up the rock, it's really ill-fitting, but when they play into what Collins requires, it's a good Shirley Collins album. The seven-minute "Murder of Maria Marten" is a real standout, but I can't help thiking that I'd enjoy this album more if it was Shirley with Dolly Collins or Davy Graham backing her, not a full-on rock band. Still a pretty solid album nonetheless.

2.5+

yayy!!

try blackout next

fair points on salmon run, i can see how it would be off-putting to someone not into that kind of sound collage.

alright boys lets go musical drone orgy

and i feel that if someone goes out of their way to listen to albums i personally enjoy it'd be cool to go through their favs

Roy Orbison - Crying (1962)
>rock & roll

I /really/ wanted to like this. "Crying" and "Running Scared", the album's opener and closer, respectively, are both fucking incredible songs. Like, absolute 10/10 in every way songs. The vocals are perfect, the songwriting is perfect, the sheer melancholy that permeates both of the tracks is palpable, and for the love of god that climax is "Running Scared" is one of the best musical moments of all time. I cannot heap enough praise on both of these tracks, but everything in between them on the album is just worthless. It's generic rock and roll, with all of the tired tropes that come with it. Orbison's vocals are always a highlight, but they fit so poorly with standard rock and roll, and they're at their best when they elevate an already wonderful song to levels not yet achieved by any other pop song, not when they make a completely forgettable song the slightest bit memorable. "Lana"'s falsetto chorus and fuzz guitar is cool, but everything else besides the opener and closer are entirely forgettable. Those bookend tracks though, oof.

2.0+

quebec is my jam, and discovery will always be an awesome album.

generic rec, but if you like Sufjan and Sea Change you'd really like Elliott Smith.

This is the same problem I have with nearly all Orbison I've heard, for every great song there's several forgettable ones. But early rock n roll is pretty forgettable on the whole anyway so I'd still call myself a fan.

I just finished Long Season. It was really good, but it wasn't THAT good. I felt like there were too few different ideas to fill 35 minutes, but the ideas they had were admittedly great. Maybe it'll grow on me, we'll see. 7/10

yeah, i'd call myself an orbison fan just on the strength of crying and running scared alone.

Yeah, Salmon Run had a lot of cool ideas but it wasn't quite for me, especially since I'm not used to that style :/

>lets go musical drone orgy

You mean we all drone each other? I feel like I like Trip's taste, I'm actually down

you've got me going through the orbison in my library now and the number of songs i'm skipping is ridic, other top songs are Only the Lonely and Love Hurts btw. He might be the worst artist for this kind of inconsistency.

daily has NEVER been for circlejerking please leave and take your drone pals with you

It'll probably grow on you but I definitely agree. Very enjoyable but not quite one of my favorites. 98.12.28 is better imo

trip's got great taste, i'd do it too.

him and elvis, honestly. for every "blue moon" in elvis' discog there are about 18 "teddy bear"s.

hnnnggghhh

Who /preorder/ here

Jeff Greinke - Cities in Fog (1985)
>dark ambient

One of the earliest examples of dark ambient, and one of the best dark ambient releases I've heard. It's one-note, yeah, but it's incredibly creepy and dark, every production aspect of it works perfectly. Water drops, industrial whirrs, ghostly howls, everything works together to make for some truly terrifying, engrossing soundscapes. Cool stuff.

3.0+

60-odd bucks is actually not a bad price for that, i might have to pick it up.

and i really really love how they managed to make the texas jerusalem crossroads' cover even more gloriously awful

I might, I think I promised him a mini drone after last tourney

That's a sweet looking vinyl, damn

I love this chart because I get to see the glorious cover of On the Run every time

it's always been one of my favorite covers, i'm definitely checking it out soon.

me on the right

I'll check these out then. I'll even bump up Elliot Smith sooner since I was gonna check him out anyway

awesome, if you don't wanna go through his whole discog (which you should!), just listen to either/or, it sums up both his folky and poppy styles and it's my favorite of his.

Different Trains had a really unique concept; instruments mimicking sampled peoples' tones of voice. It was really engaging at first but as time went on the samples starting rubbing me the wrong way and felt gimmicky.
Electric Counterpoint on the other hand was a more straightforward minimalism piece. It was pleasant but it just felt like (I hate to say this) background music. It just wasn't very engaging as opposed to most other minimalism I've heard. It ended really beautifully though, the last two minutes of part three were niiiice. 5/10

ignore the 6 in the picture. it's a 5.

>Mr Bungle - Disco Volante
The first few tracks are pretty fun and interesting, but it just devolves into tedious genre hopping and gross noise generating that isn't nearly as engaging or listenable as California.
It's an interesting and experimental record for sure, and it's not the experimentation itself that bothers me.
It's the sonic palette of croaks and vomiting noises that just turns me off completely.

My favorite song off of Disco Volante is probably Desert Search for Techno Allah. California is legit a really good album and i should listen to it again as it's been a while.

1990's
lamb vs gfr

king of the beats reminded me alot of DODDODO, just fun, though basic, breakcore, also a great addition to my rym list.

revolutionary pekinese opera ver.1.28 had some pretty fun moments throughout though a lot was a mess with no real focus,

6+
5+

lamb advances

tfw happy because
>Netlabel - Free
is a terrible tourney round pick pool so ha I'm glad I lost!

Also
>Revolutionary Pekinese Opera Ver. 1.2.8
>5
Uh huh.

nat Kim Cole is GAY

The God Bullies

Noise Rock extraordinaires

Someone in my apartment building is playing the trumpet. First time I'm hearing this. I wonder if it's the super ancient dude right across the hallway.

hello

Aww, he stopped :(

Are you the super ancient dude?