How do you remind yourself that you're no better than normies who garner their tastes from top 40 and the radio?

How do you remind yourself that you're no better than normies who garner their tastes from top 40 and the radio?

I find it excruciatingly difficult to maintain my humility when I see uncultured swine parade their trash tastes before me. It's all very tiresome.

Note: If you follow Fantano, Pitchfork, Quietus, Scarrufi, /rym/, or any of the several of the other resident plague cultural arbitrators and taste-makers, you're exempt from answering this question as you're objectively no different than normies in regards to your "taste" and its cultivation.

I watch fantano so I can keep up to date with shitposting.

I don't need to, I'm not obsessed with comparing myself to normalfags.

Okay? I don't understand the purpose of this post.

That's a good attitude. Yes. Maybe this is my resolution.

what are you favorite albums OP

I'm disinclined to share my favorite releases because I regard them as implicit recommendations, and I am in eternal opposition to spoonfeeding.

So I'm not going to tell you.

you're afraid of sharing them because you know they're scaruffi and rym approved

lmao pleb taste confirmed

this also who the fuck is opposed to recommendations music is a social thing and someone somehow recommended everything you've ever listened to so what the fuck kind of pseudo-patrician bullshit are you on

Holy fuck. What is wrong with this guy?

>Don't give recommendations.
>Don't take recs
>Don't listen to Top 40

How the fuck do you even find music OP? Fucking every way of finding music is a recommendation somehow. JFC. Grow up.

please go back to your anime containment board

I don't play an instrument, I know nothing about music theory or production and I haven't attempted to learn. The only distinction I have is that I listen to a lot of music, and that's barely a distinction at all.

This is a good post

Not even remotely.

Not sure why you think I'd insult /rym/ and Scarrufi drones if I was one myself. Clearly you've a fleeting grip on reason, or you simply cannot read.

Explore genres and labels until I've exhausted my interest therein.

If you're entirely dependent on others to "recommend" (spoonfeed) you then you've my utmost pity.

Never would I want to be so reliant on others.

so instead you go based off of constructs made by the industry to sell music
You skipped the part where people try to get others to enjoy music they like and instead went to where people try to get others to buy music they promote
way to beat the system dude

babby need spoon

:"(

>music is a social thing
How is it possible to be this narrow-minded?

I don't share the music I listen to with others and I don't gather the music I listen to from others. You must be a fucking child, to believe that to be impossible, a sheltered, ignorant fucking child.

>someone somehow recommended everything you've ever listen to
See above and see .

>he thinks I'm buying the music
Such innocent infancy is adorable.

I pity you, child.

you're either baiting us or have a superiority complex either way enjoy your clearly superior method of listening to music

Please don't leave this thread.

You sorely misunderstand my intent and I aim to amend that.

An explanation will come, but please do not leave this thread.

ok, it's a superiority complex

What the fuck are you even talking about "spoonfeeding" Just because someone tells you about a band or a song doesn't mean you have to go like it. 99% of new music I find doesn't come from people. It comes from other sources like the internet, and various tools where I can find an artist I already know I like and find bands that are similar.

Like do you legitimately believe that if somebody gives recs, and somebody checks out a band they are instantly going to like it? Since when do you have to find EVERYTHING yourself in order to be able to enjoy something you autistic bag of fuck?

What the hell kind of person just goes by labels? Are you legitimately retarded? Since when is a label going to tell you anything about the music that you're going to listen to. Sure, a lot of labels embrace a certain genre, but still seems like such a roundabout way of finding shit.

Enjoy feeling superior to everyone for having the most bizarre fucking approach to music discovery in the entire world. You are a true patrician and we should all bow before you.

OP, your mentality is a nonsense one created by the internet. Music has always been a social thing - the idea of "spoonfeeding" is really silly when applied to it.

I'm not baiting you.

And the intent of this thread was to rid of whatever superiority complex I may or may not have. Don't you see?

Additionally, I never said my means of listening were better than yours. In fact, you and others arguing against me are the only ones who've said they listen to music in the objectively correct way.

See: >music is a social thing

I never said that spoonfeeding assures that the recipient party will enjoy my recommendation. That you've conjured out of thin air entirely.

I'm against spoonfeeding because I'm a proponent of self-reliance and relying on others' blessing with regards to what I listen to is in opposition of that principle.

>music has always been a social thing
You're painfully narrow-minded. I have no friends and exploring music is among my foremost occupations. I don't share my discoveries with others. I don't gather discoveries from others. I do it alone and I enjoy it that way.

Yet again, here's an instance of you people spouting that your way of listening to music is the objective best.

>I have no friends

Not even trying to be a dick, that explains all of this. Try using your music taste (the more accessible but less common part of it) to make friends. It's a great thing to use in social interactions because everyone listens to music but not a lot of people listen to a lot of it. Get out of your ultra-patrician-i'm-the-shit mindset and recommend music to people and let them rec you shit back.

If you show someone something and they like it, they will start to like you too.

Good luck OP

I don't know how to interact with people.

Almost any attempt to recommend someone music would be horribly ill-conceive in my part.

Take your lazy, drive-by advice and please shove it nice and tightly where the sun doesn't shine, and then take that vacuous "Good luck" and choke on it.

Your arrogance is incalculable.

Welp, music is social whether you want it to be or not lol so you might as well take advantage of that fact

>music is social
You keep spouting this without giving a hint of illumination.

Can you explain that opinion? Can you substantiate it? If not, it is null and void and its each and every utterance has been an exercise of futility on your part.

Congratulations.

>Music is played at basically every social event
>Popular music started out as basically something intended to make people enjoy social events
>It's quick and easy to consume, which makes it easier to share with people
>Some types, especially jazz, actually involve multiple people interacting, unlike any other art form
>Basically everyone listens to music, which makes it communal and thus social
>I have made and have seen made tons of friendships solely because of music
>When friends are bored they get together and start a band
>Concerts are a social experience

Do you need more?

Think of them as retarded.
They don't know any better.

The word "spoonfeeding" makes that implication for you. Most people don't equate musical recommendations to spoonfeeding. Regardless. I grant you that you used a word that made an implication that I took the wrong way.

I still am not sure how you are superior for liking music that the industry tells you you should like literally for the point of making sales based on your tastes (even if you end up pirating it, that's still what it's for), but hearing what actual real human beings like is considered plebeian to you. Why do you even come on Sup Forums if not to discuss music. Isn't that proof enough that music is social?

also, as said, you're fucking on an active message board about music, and even bashed multiple other active online communities made only for music

I'll try not to be arrogant here. Although with a computer you can consume music entirely by yourself, you're still getting informed of good music by other people. Databases like RYM come from individual people wishing to spread the music they like. Unless you're just typing random shit in the search bar, by definition you're being "spoonfed".

I can't conceive why you think this is bad, though. I'm awful at social interaction and have no friends like you, but I really appreciate the people who comb through the mountains of mediocre releases to find the gems. I appreciate having other people around who know more than me, as well, since they can add to my knowledge and help me like music more. Do you really not benefit from any of these things?

congrats, you made the worst thread on Sup Forums, which puts it in the running for worst thread on Sup Forums, which puts it in the running for worst thread on the entire internet at this time.

>Music is played at basically every social event
Not the music I listen to or care to listen to.

>Popular music started out as basically something intended to make people enjoy social events

>It's quick and easy to consume, which makes it easier to share with people

>Some types, especially jazz, actually involve multiple people interacting, unlike any other art form
Doesn't render appreciation of the act a social activity.

>Basically everyone listens to music, which makes it communal and thus social

>I have made and have seen made tons of friendships solely because of music
Entirely anecdotal. We clearly enjoy different music.

>When friends are bored they get together and start a band
Which wound render "playing in a band" a social activity, but not music itself.

>Concerts are a social experience
I routinely go to concerts and would never use the word "social" to describe my experience. It's entirely possible to appreciate from afar, away from the stage/pit/whatever in your own isolated corner.

You are projecting.

>Do you need more?
Yes.

It doesn't matter if it's the music you listen to. The fact that your taste doesn't cater to social events doesn't make music any less social. You are arguing that your personal experience is not social, which I already acknowledged. However for almost everyone involved with music, as a fan or otherwise, it is social, so it doesn't really matter how you feel about your special taste.

You attacked one of my points for being anecdotal but all you have is the anecdotal evidence that your taste doesn't translate well to social events (which probably isn't true, if you had the social balls to show it to someone maybe they'd play it when you hung out), and all that is is anecdotal evidence

your'e a real faggot

Look I'm out but the point is that while you can enjoy music from a completely asocial and cut off point of view, for almost everyone else music is a social thing and that adds to their enjoyment of it, and they are no worse for doing it that way

>which puts it in the running for worst thread on Sup Forums
OP managed to make something worse than BLACKED threads?

Not all labels are tools of industry. Some are simply a means to an end, to enabling people to listen to something in an appreciable format.

>hearing what actual real human beings like is considered plebeian to you.
I never said that. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

>why do you even come on Sup Forums if not to discuss music.
Fair question. Primarily out of habit, although I did use the archive earlier to download a few releases so there is some practical use to this place.

And with databases like RYM it's entirely possible to ignore ratings and explore genres/labels in whatever fashion you prefer - chronologically, linearly, or randomly.

The music I listen to does matter. You're saying that music is a social event because it's accessible and brings people together, but that's not accurate for the music I listen to, so it's not a social experience for me.

I've said this already in this thread, that music isn't about one singular experience or phenomenon. For me, music is whatever the fuck I listen to.

I can use anecdotal evidence because I'm not the one arguing there's an objective, higher purpose to music.

Holy fuck what is WRONG WITH YOU? CAN YOU READ?

AT WHAT POINT IN THIS THREAD DID I SAY THERE WAS ANYTHING WRONG WITH ENJOY MUSIC IN OTHERS' COMPANY? AT WHAT FUCKING POINT DID I SAY THERE'S SOMETHING SHAMEFUL IN THAT?

NEVER.

I NEVER SAID THERE WAS AN OBJECTIVE, HIGHER PURPOSE TO THIS SHIT.

THE ONLY THING I SAID IS THAT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INTERACT WITH PEOPLE AND I ENJOY LISTENING TO MUSIC BY MYSELF.

NOW, IF I WERE AN OBNOXIOUS, NARROW-MINDED NORMIE FUCK LIKE EVERY OTHER FUCKING PERSON IN THIS THREAD TELLING ME THAT I'M MISSING OUT BECAUSE I DON'T SHARE SHIT WITH OTHER PEOPLE AND TREAT MUSIC LIKE A SOCIAL EXPERIENCE, I'D FORCE YOU ALL TO ENJOY MUSIC ALONE IN THE DARK LIKE I DO, BUT I HAVEN'T BECAUSE I'M NOT AN ARROGANT CUNT.

>And with databases like RYM it's entirely possible to ignore ratings and explore genres/labels in whatever fashion you prefer - chronologically, linearly, or randomly.
Sure, but someone put those albums in the database specifically to boost awareness/discussion of the art. If you're on the internet and looking up music, you're benefiting from others' work. The whole system you use to enjoy music is built by people you'd probably disregard as normies.

Go ahead and enjoy the music, but know that you're basically a leech on the community by definition.

>If you're entirely dependent on others to "recommend" (spoonfeed) you then you've my utmost pity.
>Never would I want to be so reliant on others.
>I find it excruciatingly difficult to maintain my humility when I see uncultured swine parade their trash tastes before me. It's all very tiresome.
>you're objectively no different than normies in regards to your "taste" and its cultivation.

You started this thread off as a pretentious faggot don't think you can take the moral high ground now because you started losing the argument

and I'm literally a pretentious faggot so for me to call you one is saying something

Music is subjective, and not everyone is as autistic as you

If you want to attack one of the points you're referencing in that post, go ahead, but none of them are relevant to the dispute and hand and if you had critical faculties you'd be aware of that fact.

Also, I'm not losing any argument. The post you just responded illuminated the depths of hypocrisy in this thread. I'm anything but losing right now.

This is why i dont post on Sup Forums often Jesus fucking Christ

You aren't as smart as you think you are my dude

You're missing a distinction and meandering elsewhere with your argument.

Music databases are nothing more than an impersonal tool, or at least in the way I employ them. They will always be there in one form or another and I'm reliant on no single person.

And you aren't contributing as much to my intellect as you think you are, you presumptuous child.

(you)

And now if I don't receive an intelligent reply in 3 minutes I'm going to bed.

You've exhausted my patience. Congratulations.

Online databases themselves have only existed for a few decades, and they're all a product of the people who combine to make them. Just because you don't see it behind the scenes doesn't mean that's what happens. You will always be dependent on someone else's generosity if you're on the internet alone looking for new music.

Jesus, the autism. Listen up OP, it literally doesn't matter how people find music, as long as they're actually enjoying it and not pretending to. Why you've done is compare people who go by recommendations to normies who also go by recommendation. Cool stuff dude. That doesn't say anything else about music taste. You could easily be a normalfag who listens to music they find through a label and completely avoids recommendations.

>no friends

not really a surprise desu

I understand that, you idiot.

You clearly don't understand the point, which is that databases are ultimately just tools for exploration and they will always exist in one form or another.

You've no comprehension at all. I'm going to bed.

And I couldn't care less. Friends are an inhibition on liberty a chore.

There's nothing a friend can give me that I can't give myself and if you're really that reliant on others validation I feel sorry for you.

Let's say you were born 100 years earlier. Were there databases then? Tell me, how would you find some decent local artists?

Let's see if you get this right.

>there's nothing a friend can give me that a can't give myself
Now I just feel sorry for you.
And nobody said they relied on friends for validation. But keep telling yourself that, OP. Maybe it'll make you feel less lonely.

>how do you remind yourself you're no better?

There's a simple OP. Normalfags consume what they enjoy. You do do as well. Finding music one enjoys is completely self serving, and dedicating time to finding music as a hobby is only short of masturbatory. There's no reason rational reason to feel superior to for such a passive activity when you could be using your time to practice an instrument or to learn music theory.

Now, you could have very well rationalized a sense of humility without input (which you insist you don't need) from other anons, but instead you decided to make this shitty thread. Why is that OP?

*There's a simple answer OP
Now I just feel stupid.

Some people legitimately think recommendations and reviews are the only true way of finding good new music?
Are people just too lazy to look for themselves?
90% of the music i listen to i have found for myself on discogs by browsing artists, labels and using the explore function.

This is the same as me. Music for me is not in any way social.

That's still a form of a rec though. Algorithms that recommend music still recommend music. It's not inherently different than listening to what other people like. Just perhaps sometimes more accurate.

By rec i mean a human being recommending you listen to an album they have heard, and think you may like.

I mean, I don't think anyone said that human recs are the only way. But OP is being a pretentious fag, and seems to think there's something actually wrong with taking/giving recs.

maybe some people deserve to be lonely

Op you're pathetic. You're obviously insecure
You care about what other people think first of all
Why? Fuck what anyone else thinks...

>Not sure why you think I'd insult /rym/ and Scarrufi drones if I was one myself
y-you think someone would go on the internet... just to tell lies??

Well there's nothing wrong with it. I'm just replying to the people who think it's the only way to discover new music. I don't think mental gymnastics to count everything as a rec comes into the picture.
Come to think about it, this thread is pretty stupid; who cares what anyone else does or how they choose to consume music.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that the average Sup Forumstant uses a very small number of very limited sources for music discovery, and that they would really benefit from a little initiative But holy shit, what fucking autism is this?