So was sauron some actual evil dude in the tower just watching shit through this

so was sauron some actual evil dude in the tower just watching shit through this

or was that big flaming eye actually sauron

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8eCmhV_mS-4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The eye was Sauron, his avatar was Sauronman (portrayed by the great Count Dooku).

"Sauron should be thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic. In his earlier incarnation he was able to veil his power (as Gandalf did) and could appear as a commanding figure of great strength of body and supremely royal demeanour and countenance" (Letter No. 246)

Someone broke into my car in 2014 and stole $7 worth of quarters from the change holder, beaded car seat covers, and a backpack bought from Goodwill full of work papers but left a first edition Letters of JRR Tolkien (good condition) and an old e-ink reader in a leather cover that resembled a book.

he was a dude but he was a shapeshifter so he may also have been some kind of monster or something

I never thought of the eye of saurpn as that. Movie took creative license i think.

I'm pretty sure he had a physical body at the time of LotR, but he didn't want to leave his tower until he got the ring, or he might get his shit slapped again. He has a palantir that lets him see wherever he wants, and I think the big eye is meant to represent his constant use of that.

Was there a real "eye" thing in the books?

Its been a while

>nigger
>stealing everything but the book

surprising

Making Sauron a big eye was the biggest blunder of the movies desu

Of course not
It is Sauron's heraldic device and represents him in dreams and visions

Come to think of it, it was pretty funny when he got butthurt and the eye was moving

I didn't like the representation of the eye in RotK. Instead of it acting as a metaphorical representation of Sauron's power and reach, Jackson turned it into a lighthouse.

It was his symbol, and represented his ability to gaze out into the world and see far off things.

Would a beautiful Sauron have worked?

Well according to original lore Sauron lost that ability long ago.
Still it might've been cool.

Not after numenor sank. He lost his ability to take on a pleasing shape.

Why did they scrap that idea in favor of just another troll?

It would have been fucking amazing

>Sauron close enough to the ring to manifest himself in his physical form

Instead we got Cave Troll #5. One of RotK's many problems

No. It would be stupid as fuck and ruin the whole idea of of the series.
Its not about one person beating Sauron, its about good versus evil.

He has a physical form without posessing the ring. Also he would never personally confronted aragorn.

>Sauron
>evil
Pick one and only one

Obviously Aragorn wouldn't have defeated him.

Khamul please.

Probably the one character that got shafted the most in RotK was Denethor. The book showed him as kind of an asshole, but he was also a badass, who had the skill to match Sauron in strategy. In the movie he's just an asshole, and goes out in the most ridiculous way.

You've been visited by Tom Bombadil. He smacks your gf's ass. He will fuck you up if you don't say "Thank you, Mr. Bombadil" watdo?

So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion.

What the fuck?? Christopher Lee and Sauron are 2 different beings!

Didnt you watch the Hobbit? It explains the prequel.

I say "Hey, dol, Merry dol, leave alone my grill-o"

why did salmon make a ring that changed size depending on the wearer?

if it had stayed big then only he could have worn it, and it would have been much easier to find someone trying to sneak it back to mount doom to unmake it.

his head is comparatively even bigger than his finger. he should have made a big hat. it would have taken an army to carry it.

I hate Gandalf, he's a fucking manipulative bastard who always keeps out of trouble and arrives like Zorro to save the day with minimal effort on his part. Every time Gandalf accomplishes something really significant (fight off a Balrog and be reborn, face Sauron, escape from Isengard) it happens "off-screen"
Other characters take it for the truth when he tells them, but in fact he shows very little power in crucial situations.
I am convinced that while Gandalf may very well be an Istari, he's some kind of lesser Istari that focuses on illusions. He doesn't even have real power, for example when he finds himself face to face with the Sorcerer King he can't even begin to fight back, because the Sorcerer King sees through his illusions. But orcs, lesser nazgul, etc ... react strongly to his illusions, persuaded that he is indeed powerful. The Flame of Anor of which he is the guardian is extremely bright but not really powerful. His entire power depends on blinding other people so they can't see his flaws and the flaws in his plans and so on.
Now in The Hobbit, it's pretty clear that he's in the job for personal reasons. My bet is that he's got a bone to pick with Smaug or something he wants in the treasure but is aware that he's no match for the ol' lizard.
When he hears of Thorin, he gathers as much intel as he can and appears as the super nice guy who just wants to help the midgets get their caves back.
From this point he mostly bullshits his entire way until the end of the story, all the while looking good to everyone, using people that are more qualified than him to do the job and assuming the old wise wizard pose, disappearing to do more bullshitting and dealing with the enemy on the side and basically trying to buttfuck everyone involved and be thanked for it again.

Why even post if you don't understand the works you're posting about? Just fuck off

They literally see it in the books as well though

I don't know why people always forget this

Sauron had his own body, he used it to torture gollum. His body was humanoid, tall but not gigantic, black and hideous, missing a finger obviously. It probably sat at the top floor of the tower or somewhere. The big eye was just a manifestation of his willpower, something that his enemies feel piercing into their minds.

Yeah but I didn't like the way his gaze moved across Mordor when looking for Frodo. Lighthouse-esque.

I've had similar thoughts, but his fight with the Balrog is really all the evidence you need that he's got real power. He beat it. There's a scene where he calls lightning into his sword and stabs the Balrog in the chest, killing it. That wasn't some illusory shit. He straight up juiced his sword with electricity.

That was before he was Gandalf the White. One can only assume he has more power in the new form. Also, I'm pretty sure it's stated that Gandalf isn't allowed to use his powers full-scale in mens fights, but just point people in the right direction. Not in the movie, of course. That would have been too helpful to mention. Instead they leave us wondering why Gandalf doesn't just use his Balrog-killing strength to fuck up half an army himself.,

just about the only thing we know about what he looked like is that he can't take fair form

just who thought of this and just... how?

I remind him we're outside his territory and therefore he has no power. I then punch his teeth in.

You're describing every so-called great man who ever lived. It's ALL smoke and mirrors. Pro tip: the less you say and show, the more they attribute to you.

you don't understand power.

Shadow of Mordor had an interesting take on it
>youtube.com/watch?v=8eCmhV_mS-4

Please don't remind me of the QTE bossfight.

Who are you talking about? The Mouth of Sauron was just a representative, he wasn't actually Sauron.

It was silly of the Elves to trust a man who calls himself Annatar, the Lord of Gifts.

The eye is not a physical thing in the books it is a metaphor for Saurons power and reach. It is also the symbol used on his armies armor.

Jackson of course had no idea that 'a lidless eye wreathed in flame' was not literal.

Saruman is Gandalf's mentor and superior. In the books his chief aim is to find the ring and use it against Sauron. He believes it is the sole means of stopping Sauron. He proposes to Gandalf pretending to ally Sauron and manipulating him with the ring and even destroying him with it.

Gandalf disagrees and believes one cannot wield the ring and walk away un corrupted by it. Gandalf is imprisoned by Saruman because he thinks Gandalf's plan is foolish and will get the ring delivered to Sauron.

IN the movies Saruman is Sauron's puppet.

I tgink he has a decreped weakened form a la voldemort before resurrected in the HP movies

He was just a white guy.

The Hobbit movies made it clear.

The black pupil is actually Sauron standing upright in attention.

Thread over.

A FUCKING WHITE MALE?

>this pasta still exists

Fuck, i thought he was spanish.
>Sauron

pottery

Ridiculously underrated post, tbqh.

Thank you.

The only thing lore wise I enjoyed about the game was its depiction of Annatar, appearance wise. That's about it.

>punching Tom Bombadil's teeth in
Bombadil is literally a physical manifestation of nature, m8. He's as close to God as any character in Tolkien's lore.
Who the fuck are you?
He was the first and will be the last, and his kingdom is the ground you walk on.
Who the fuck are YOU?

It's from a deleted scene. Aragorn was meant to fight the avatar of Sauron at the black gate, instead he fought a troll.

OIC now

In the book Frodo has a vision of a beam of red light lancing out from the uppermost window of Barad Dur, but it's hard to say if that was real or not, because the Ring gave him and Sam a number of visions once they were within Mordor. Its influence got stronger the closer they drew to Mt. Doom.

Why was Sauron such a fuckboy?

nice reading comprehension

>fuckboy
What brought you to Sup Forums? Facebook down or something?

what did he mean by this?

Gotta fill the minutes while your mom's at work.

It would of been interesting to have Sauron present during the Battle at the Black Gate. It would give a sense of urgency, as the longer Sam and Frodo took to destroy the ring, the more powerful Sauron became due to his proximity to the Ring. It would have forced both the Gondorians and the Fellowship to be efficient and fast.

>infinite anus

>make Saruman seem like a good guy
>completely omit the Scouring of The Shire where Saruman becomes a brutal industrialist dictator who forces his hobbit slaves to work until death. All after the ring has been destroyed.

Do you even fucking read?

>completely omit the Scouring of The Shire where Saruman becomes a brutal industrialist dictator who forces his hobbit slaves to work until death. All after the ring has been destroyed.
Not him, but wasn't that just a vision? I've read all of the books but it was quite a while ago.

It was a vision but then it really happened.

The eye was a metaphor

In the movies yes it was a vision.

In the books it was real and it took the Shire a long time to recover from it. Saruman's industrial dystopia in the Shire was meant to reflect his complete devotion to machinery, even after he had been forced out of Isengard. Tolkien despised machine warfare and industrialism due to what he experienced in WWI. That's why the technology of many of the good guys in LOTR is inferior to the bad guys, because Tolkien thought it was more honorable and noble.

Where there Drudains in Jackson's movies

anyone know WHY he lost the ability? or does it just say "sauron lost the ability afterwards"?

Sauron's humanoid form is within the eye pupil.

Where the fuck was Gandalf in all this? Or, perhaps more to the point, where was the honourable king of fucking Gondor?

Basically in Tolkien lore your appearance is affected by how good or evil you are. The longer you do evil, the more corrupt your appearance becomes.

see

are you retarded?

?
Here's your (you) I guess

FLEEEEE!

FLEE FOR YOUR LIIIVES!

In the books, he was sitting in his tower doing nothing

In the movies he was reduced to the eye form which was literally him

That was amazing

You deserve a blowjob for this post. Bravo.