External hard drive crashes

>external hard drive crashes
>lose all of my music
>spend hours upon hours downloading, organizing, and tagging 200 GB of music to rebuild my collection
>computer notifies me its hard drive is going to crash
>order a new external hard drive to back up my music
>computer hard drive crashes literally the morning of the day my external hard drive arrives
>HAVE TO BUILD MY MUSIC COLLECTION FOR THE THIRD FUCKING TIME

Other urls found in this thread:

techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

buy physical media or shut the fuck up
its all your fault

fug u

This.
You fucked up.

Buy at least 2 (TWO) hard disks. One internal, one external. Use the external one as a backup.

Remember the magic word: B A C K U P.

Speaking of this , the chances of failing both hard disks at the same time are pretty slim. Better yet, use 2 external hard disks as backup, or one external + backup your data online.

Don't rely on just one hard disk, ffs. Every hdd will fail at some point.

>the chances of failing both hard disks at the same time are pretty slim
They didn't fail at the same time, the internal one failed months later.
But yeah, I tried to fucking back the shit up, but the hard drive arrived a single day too late.

>not having backups upon backups in different formats and locations

It's your own fault

>computer hard drive crashes literally the morning of the day my external hard drive arrives
>HAVE TO BUILD MY MUSIC COLLECTION FOR THE THIRD FUCKING TIME
BTW, there are firms that could recover your data. If the hdd failed so quickly it could be something mechanical (the hdd's engine) but your data could be alright.

See this too >They didn't fail at the same time, the internal one failed months later.
Wait a minute: didn't you have your music stored on both external and internal HDDs?

I researched it and data recovery would cost hundreds of dollars
No, I'm a poorfag plebe

>No
That was your mistake. The point of backup is to have another copy ready (redundancy) in case the main hdd fails. Anyone who doesn't learn from his mistakes is condemned to repeat the mistakes. I hope you learned your lesson.

>I'm a poorfag plebe
That is not an excuse. A 320gb or a 500gb hdd to store your 200gb music collection is very cheap. Think about it: the music you pirated it's worth thousands of dollars if you'd buy it legally. You already saved a shitload of money. If the music is so important to you, why don't you bother buying a backup hdd, ffs? If you have money to pay for internet and a computer, you should have money to buy a backup hdd.

>mfw RAID 1
Didn't even have to pay extra for it, Amazon kindly included two extra 1TB HDDs by accident when I ordered one.

tfw never had a hd fail

I'm sure you deserve it. Every time I rebuild my library I just go based on what I want to listen to. So albums I never feel like listening to I never download again and it's ez with soulseek

And this is the day you learn about cloud storage. It's really only useful for backing up music. Mega offers 50 GB for free and it encrypts your files. After backing up to an external HDD, make a backup on Mega too. Don't upload any personal information though.

external hard drives can crash?

Of course. They're just like the internal ones, just put in a plastic case. They could fail too. Anything with moving parts could fail at any time. Backup of a backup it's not a nonsense.

>Anything with moving parts could fail at any time
hdd's last way longer than ssd's.

SSDs could fail too. It doesn't help they're a newer technology that didn't mature yet. SSDs have a limited writing quota.

Welcome to 2017 where this thing called streaming exists

>not having a back up

Guys my vinyls crashed today

Oh wait

like I said: hdd's last way longer.

SSDs are a shitton more reliable than HDDs you downie, they can write petabytes of data before failing

techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/4