The neon kino

snce modcucks deleted the other thread for no reason, let's have another one

How is this compared to other refns films?

I was creating it, thanks.
SO is this movie just people staring at walls or do we get a story with it?
Are we just watching one guy's manias unraveling movie after movie?

Visually and simbolically overwhelming. For decades to come people will try to understand the real message behind the film, it is like Eyes Wide Shut was to Kubrick

It is closer to valhalla rising than pusher or drive. Very radical form.

The symbolism is more complicated than the one in Only God Forgives but it's not that profound.

Everybody is fascinated by Jesse because of her virginity but they are not aware of it. Indeed, she lied and said she has slept with multiple guys. Therefore, this attaction to her virginal youth works on a subconscious level. Jesse is well aware of the power of her virginity and that's why she rejects anyone who gets too close to her. She's also too narcissistic to have any emotional relationship with anyone else, whether it's Dean or Ruby. She's fascinated by Jack because he never compliments her, he's dominant and uses her for his art. She's merely a tool in his hands and she likes it. She's afraid of Hank, the motel owner, because he's (sexuall)y agressive, she's deeply scared of penetration and sees it as harmful. Phallic objects depicted are usually blunt. When Jesse is finally eaten by Gigi and Sarah, her viriginal youth is absorbed by them. However, Gigi is too fragile and her body rejects it. She ends up killing herself by sliding her belly up and forming a deep wound that ressembles a vagina. Sarah's body accepts it but she loses her identity in the process. Meanwhile, Ruby is empowered by an enhanced feminity. Hence, the puddle of blood flowing out of her cunt as she lays on the floor, smiling and looking at the moon (which is a purely feminine symbol).

The more I think about it, the more I realize this film is a masterpiece. Good God...
Sorry if it's confusing, English isn't my first language.

It's literally /fa/: the kino

Good Post. I love the movie but I am kinda dumb so I never understand symbolism

High school tier again

OGF > The Neon Demon > Drive > Pusher II ? Pusher = Pusher III > Bronson > Valhalla Rising > Bleeder > Fear X

This.

What's the symbolism in OGF ?

You need to know basic Freudian theory and Greek Mythology.

Julian is impotent. According to Freud, impotency is caused by an unresolved Oedipus complex. Julian obviously had a strange - possibly incestuous - relationship with his mother. He uses his hand as a phallic extension. His fists are basically the only masculine properties he has but they were also responsible of his sins. He's ashamed because he's not manly enough and feels guilt because he killed his father. He's fascinated by Chang because he's respected like a Divine figure. Chang himself seems to have supernatural abilities. At the end of the film, Julian tries to find an emotional connexion with his mother and he slides his belly inside his dead mother's womb. Chang finally finds him, he wants to punish him but he seems hesitant when Julian raises his hands, waiting for "God" to cut them off.
I saw the film yesterday and thought about it all day. It's an interesting piece of art.

Do you think all is intended ? Coz i remember reading an interview saying that it was gosling's idea to put his hands in his mother's womb.

Well, Refn's creative process is intuitive and Gosling's idea works perfectly with what we know about his character.

what the fuck was his brothers problem at the start though?

was that just to get the movie going or is there some meaning to it

His brother was as crazy as his mother.
Apparently, she liked him better because "his was huge".

Interesting. But I really disagree. The point about her virginaty is very good. But the films phalic representations are not blunt. The are sharp like the knife and the scissor.

I think this film is pretty great. But also incredibly shallow. Which it wears with pride.

I haven't seen this movie yet but I have read the script.

But did the movie ever go more into depth of why Ruby seem to have wanted to have a relationship with Jess then just being just obsessed with her beauty like the other girls?

So the perfect date movie then?

I remember a girl stopped texting me after I took her to see Only God Forgives. I'm guessing this will have the same effect.

>mfw the eurofags get Refnkino before you do

I'm not angry at you guys, just deeply jealous and depressed about it all

>24 June 2016 (United States)

god dammit