The Life Of Pablo (Def Jam, 2016)...

The Life Of Pablo (Def Jam, 2016), another wildly overrated album that in reality lacks inspiration and mainly delivers cliches. West flirts with gospel in Ultralight Beam and that mediocre trick remains the highlight for about half an hour, until Low Lights steals the riff from Prince's Ballad of Dorothy Parker and Waves concocts a soaring hymn. Several bland songs later Wolves stages a romantic three-part harmony hijacked by Sia Furler's wordless commentary, the album's standout. After No More Parties In LA, an uneventful Kendrick Lamar collaboration, the album closes with a musical puzzle, Fade, that sounds like a tribute to funk-soul of the 1970s. This album is a social event: the guests, the producers, the bleach, the samples and the songwriters prevail over the real music. This is just a patchwork of half-baked ideas. Too often West tries to dress up boring beats, boring lyrics and boring melodies with boring arrangements.

>5/10

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/ratings/00.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I agree with him.

>the bleach

kek the absolute madman does it again

>Trusting the artistic sensibilities of anyone who has a website designed like THAT

couldnt have said it better myself

And I get bleach on my review
I'ma feel like an asshole

>old people don't deserve opinions
Also considering the site is more than 20 years old it looks pretty good

The fact that so many books still name the Kanyes as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rapper ever only tells you how far rap music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rap critics are still blinded by commercial success. The kanyes sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rap critics are often totally ignorant of the rap music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the kanyes did anything worthy of being saved.

But he likes kanye you dunce.

No it does not. I don't get scaruffi's continued popularity, people ought to recognise trite content when they see it.

>highest album score
>7.5

Well at least he doesnt suck kanyes dick and think every album he makes is gold like pissfork

No it fucking doesn't look good at all.

>old people don't deserve opinions
You're right they don't, most of them cannot ignore their biases and most of them are least likely to be opened up to new things and praise the things they are nostalgic about, something Scaruffi showcases many times.

Charge your fucking phone

Honestly it's pretty slick looking, I like it

Friendly reminder that this guy is the Armond White of music critics.

I agree. Still kinda like it though.

Scaruffi 7.5 = p4k 9
Scaruffi 8 = p4k 9.5
scaruffi 9 = p4k 11

jesus christ he even praises your god Kanye, what more does he have to do to make you kiddies happy.

>My god Kayne

But Kanye isn't a god

GOD IS DEAD AND NOO OONE CARES

jokes aside I agree he cannot be fully trusted for reviewing anything that came out after the earliest 2000's, but he still clearly recognizes quality and he's great for anything before that.

And Armond White is the greatest film critic. Point?

I actually trust a shitty looking web critic site more, it shows that the words on the page are more important than the design

Pleb thats the best kind of website design.
Take your jewgle materialshit and shove it up your ass.

>And Armond White is the greatest film critic
For contrarian 'fuck you, dad' Sup Forums shitposters, yes.

scruffy literally shits on the Beatles, he is a contrarian, but someone who shits on knaye and doesnt slap a 10 on every album of fart sounds he releases is needed.
The kanye meme needs to end

>the bleach

>West died of cancer in january 2017.

Honestly, being a contrarian critic probably gets you more attention than anything.
How many critics can you even name anyways?

Melon head, scruffy, and armond white

>Emceeing that year’s awards, he insulted several of the winners from the podium (introducing Tony Kushner to present the Best Picture award to The Social Network, he said, “Maybe he can explain why it won”), and then, last year, when he was no longer chairman, he heckled from his table in the same way that he did this year (at the time, the object of his wrath was Michael Moore, to whom he yelled “F—- you!”).
He's pretty based

scaruffi is a dust head, and doesn't know rap

>Calling Scaruffi a contrarian.
You guys still don't get it, lol : he doesn't care about your dilettantism.

That's what we call acting like a vulgar and bitter man, IRL. Scaruffi isn't an attention whore - Armond is.

IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT YEEZUS IS THE GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME

Two 7.5s from scruffers is pretty good though

Holy shit you are scum. He explains on his site that he designed it this way because he wants it to be accesible and not take forever to load.

His website was specifically designed for the 2% of people still using Windows 95 in this day and age?

accurate

have you even seen the design of the website you're posting in right now?

>he said
>while posting on 4chin

the irony

The worst part about all these scaruffi memes is that there are people on here who will never try to listen to anything on his recommended list, just because they rather listen to Sup Forums meme about radiohead. This man is accurate most of the time and you will find amazing music if you give his 8/10 and 9/10's a shot.

"A note about the format
To prove the point that my opinions are unbiased, even this very website is built against the advice of just about everybody I know:
I dislike graphics. Pictures slow down your computer. When you want to look at pretty pictures, you go to a museum. You browse the web to find information, as quickly as possible.
I limit advertising as much as possible, no matter how lucrative it could be. Intrusive advertising (such as pop-up pages) annoys visitors.
This is not a website to praise everything and everybody. On the contrary, it criticizes a lot.
No, there is no business plan for this website. My only business plan is never to make money out of this website. If you are an investor, look elsewhere"

There is no point in flashy graphics on his site, it's all about the text and there really is no reason to complain about it's layout

armond white hates many of the films scaruffi likes.

>he didn't design Sup Forums
>he isn't talking about his artistic sensibilities

how are people as dumb as you still alive?

Ask your parents. They're probably sick of you being a waste of space.

This desu. Everyone is so used to seeing inflated ratings that they think a 7.5 is average

>Low battery
Everytime

He could stil go for different layout, it looks outdated and bad, his excuses are making me believe he is on a terrible computer

no it looks fine. his website is strictly for his reviews and thats what matters.

>terrible computer
>living comfortably in Silicon Valley
Wewest of lads

>Parquet Courts - Human Performance 7/10

Anyone read the updated Beyoncé page yet?

Underrated, glad I'm not alone.

Based

haha nice one dude got 'im good

>scaruffi overrates another kanye album
>50 million replies

>scaruffi digs up a 7.5 gem
>--silence--

i really don't know what i expected

>silence implies they're listening to the record you dunce, I must have shitposted TLOP like 50 times but I've never listened to the entire thing.

Why the fuck did he give Yeezus a lower rating than TLOP? Yeezus is his masterpiece

>they're listening to the record

ha ha. no.

>Despite its brevity, the album feels too long for what the band has gotten: the second half is mostly disposable. This should have been an even shorter record. Kenneth William, who composed each song in a different key, is a competent composer but there are a few thousand around. Way has become a better songwriter, but, if you want to read good poetry, i can recommend a few thousand better poets. One misses the point. If you are just making average music with average lyrics, and very little energy, why should people listen to you instead of the other thousands?

Scaruffi is god.

he's right, but giving MBDTF a 7.5 (or indeed, ANY post-LR album 5+/10) shows he doesn't really stand apart from the REAL problem with contemporary music criticism so I still take his opinion with a pinch of salt

doesnt the album end with wolves/franks track lol

Cuz it's terrible

What this post says x100000.

Fuck the Kanye overhype he's the female version of Beyoncé in that whatever he does will be praised to hell and back by the media plus his rabid fanbase. The only good end to end record he ever made is MBDTF. All the others are wildly inconsistent.

>thinks the annoying skits and tracks with dated mixing/mastering are better than MBDTF
Lmao

LR is one of the best mixed/mastered rap albums ever

I wished I screencapped the post where I predicted 5/10

no

How the fuck did coulers get a 8/10.That basically means it was the greatest album of the 00s

there are many other 8s from the 00s
scaruffi.com/ratings/00.html

The only problem is that all the reviews for an artists is written out like one long passage, I wish he'd separate it out a bit more