Could anybody explain to me why power lifting isn't in the Olympics...

Could anybody explain to me why power lifting isn't in the Olympics? They really need more sports that will make the Olympics worth watching .

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
youtube.com/watch?v=r5S_rWQs1Ro
youtube.com/watch?v=tsCnmaIlF2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because it's just weightlifting for homosexuals

>google differences
>nothing but broscience websites

Should just include strongman activities so Finland can win a medal.

Because no one wants to watch tiny movements with spotters

>bench
>squat
>deadlift
>ohp

No one wants to watch that shit. Oly lifting is good to watch because it combines two movements that look impressive.

This. Strongman is the only other lifting discipline worth a damn from a spectator POV.

Because its like a boring version of Olympic weightlifting, just with less technical skill and a lot more PEDs and drugs involved.

>Powerlifting: take something thats been lifted for you and lift it half of your body length

>Olympic lifting: take something from the floor and lift it above your head

>lift
>lJft/Submit
>verb
>gerund or present participle: lifting
>1. raise to a higher position or level.

Powerlifting is less actual 'lifting' than olympic lifting.
nobody wants to see some half assed attempt sorry.

Also if power lifters are so strong why doesnt the USA send these guys out to the olympics?

powerlifting is to olympic lifting what doggy paddle is to the butterfly.

Id like to see these guys try to clean and jerk that weight. If they could they would be in the olympics

Or what backstroke is to freestyle
Or what ping pong or badminton are to tennis
Or what field hockey is to ice hockey
Or what beach volleyball is to volleyball
etc, etc, etc

Your point being?

This.

Oly lifting
>starts on ground
>ends in air

Power lifting
>starts on rack
>ends on same rack

Deadlift is the only one which could be vaguely interesting, simply because of the weights involved.

They are two entirely different sports, not even worth comparing the two. That's like comparing MMA to boxing, a boxer would win agains a mixed martial artist in the ring and a mixed martial artist would win against a boxer in the octagon, just as a power lifter would blow any Olympic lifter away in the basic movements Olympic lifters use to train, squat and dead lift, and an Olympic weightlifter would blow away a powerlifter in the clean and jerk and the snatch (Powerlifters never do these movements)

I'm a powerlifter.

Other replies are pretty spot on, oly lifting requires a lot of technical skill while PL is pretty much down to your genetics. Some people will simply never squat a certain amount due to their limb length. Plus it's boring as fuck to watch.

The leading organisation allows suits that help with the lift. It takes all the beauty away.

I competed raw and to me that could be an olympic event.

Cretins saying that it's just weightlifting need to read up on some shit.

Would quite like to see the deadlift included but only one medal at open weight. Nobody really gives a shit about a 48kg girl lifting 160, but watching Eddie Hall ripping out 450+ could get entertaining.

The strongman competition is an even worse doping fest than the olympics right now. You're basically allowed to roid your brains out in strongman because people want to see a freakshow with 180kg men.

With drug testing you're left with some fat dudes lifting 60% of the strongest strongmen. No current strongman would want to go to the olympics if they're subject to tests. Never going to happen.

>Plus it's boring as fuck to watch.
Yup. Plus issues with drugs, and multiple federations that all hate each other, the "testosterone sports" not being popular right now...

All so you can peer at some guy with five other dudes around him move up and down a bit, with a bunch of unknown weight the average person doesn't know how to count, and maybe get red lights for reasons that aren't clear to anyone watching.

But, the biggest reason is, there's no money in it. It's not big enough and no one cares so why should the IOC?

>Finland

Dont Iceland dominate strongman events?

Whilst that's probably true for bench and squat. Deadlift is pretty entertaining.

When Eddie Hall hit 500 lots of people I know were talking about it, many of which don't even lift.

It's a lot easier for people to appreciate picking up something heavy as fuck. Plus it was a pretty short event with a lot more hype behind it. An average pl meet (especially one run by the IPF) might run 6-8 hours or so by the time it all wraps up.

People can appreciate how difficult and impressive someone picking up half a fucking metric ton is. When Billy Bob in the 93kg weight class squats 330kg it's just numbers.

That's why strongman events would be great to include as field disciplines.
Max loglift, Husafell stone and Atlas stones (maybe a truck pull with something visually spectacular) would be great spectator events

I much prefer raw over equipped

>Oly lifting
>starts on ground
>ends in air

You're an idiot. What does 500lbs magically float mate? It ends on the ground.

Is this some meme? The weights shown are in the wrong order m8

Because it's already a paralympic sport XD

I'd love to see the log throw in strongman/olympics
Fuck javelin, discus shotput
I WANT TO SEE MOTHERFUCKING TREES THROWN

because it's fucking gay. Take the bench press, for instance: being a fatass has an inherent advantage, because if you accumulate fat on your chest then you shorten the range of motion.

That's why there are weight classes you dip

Super heavyweights are all fat anyway so who cares. If you're in that division and gain shitloads of fat more just to bench your heart will explode sooner or later. There's no lifter in this world that stuffs himself so he has a higher bench press.

Caber toss? It'd be great, but I was thinking of loglift as in a max log press.

Caber toss for distance or weight?

Distance, I've never seen a caber toss for weight

Yeah caber toss.
Standardised weight, shape like the javelin, discus, etc.
Competing for distance
Any technique that allows for the furthest throw like high jump, you just have to make it over the bar.

Caber toss for max distance was pretty common in big strongman comps in the 80s and 90s. Pure Strength in 87 (IIRC, it's on youtube) had one between Jon Pall, Geoff Capes and Kazmaier. Also the famous 'no reason to be alive if you can't deadlift' quote

Powerlifting is in the olympics. The special olympics. Where it belongs.

Because powerlifting is all about who can cheat form better and it's already in the retard olympics, where it belongs.

>PL is pretty much down to your genetics
So is oly? How much you can front squat or press over your head is obviously going to be limited by your genetics as much as any other lift.

weightlifting is probably even more genetically limited than powerlifting. You can have poor proportions for benching/squatting/deadlifting and still do well in powerlifting, and you can just blast ridiculous amounts of slin if you're naturally small. You can't do well in weightlifting if you have shit proportions for it with all the drugs in the world.

>shorten ROM as much as possible
>Fucking suits suits suits
>NO ROM
>Shit lift with no ROM

Weightlifting is glorious to watch

Powerlifting is watching a fat pig waddle to the monolift and scream for 5 mins to do a 2 sec lift with no ROM.

>all pl is SPF
You see below-parallel squats get red-lighted for depth quite often in IPF, and they don't allow suits

most IPF lifters are
>not fat because weight classes
>obviously no monolift
>don't have 5 minutes to scream because same time limit as weightlifting
>lifts take longer than the snatch at least
>cutting ROM only works for uber manlets with genetically rare proportions

this is an average IPF lifter (average NOT in the amount of weight lifted, but in the appearance of their lifts)
youtube.com/watch?v=r5S_rWQs1Ro

If anyone still needs OP's question answered, here's why;

Nice meme, have you ever been inside of a gym? Those are not real power lifting federations.
Webm related are Squat bench deadlift in a real fed, this is how the sport would be conducted in the olympics.

the fuck is wrong with his face

because this is literally the best range of motion powerlifting squat i've ever seen

he has 1000+ pounds on his back you mong

Umm dude I did an AMA on reddit that got 2000 upvotes. The sport is unregulated and the lift standards are a joke. This ''''sport''' will never end up in the olympics unless it has a serious cleanup.

outdated video but all of these minus Fedosienko at the start have normal range of motion
youtube.com/watch?v=tsCnmaIlF2U

POWERLIFTING IS MORE THAN EQUIPPED FEDERATIONS/DIVISIONS

I'm sorry but despite the higher weights it doesn't seem half as impressive as olympic weightliting.
Here you prepare everything to be in the ideal position, then lift the weight in a single movement with other people reay to grab you in case it goes wrong.
In oly you start with the weight on the ground, there is no support and you have to raise it over your head. The movement is more complex, it involves more muscles, it requires more endurance since the lift lasts longer and it needs you to be in full control of the weight.

>it requires more endurance since the lift lasts longer
>weightlifting
>endurance
looooool
Let me know when a weightlifter goes over 3 reps on anything or does cardio

if his knees could speak, what would they say about this?

6 seconds in
>That scoop face

he left humanity confirmed

roids

Brian Shaw has gone on record saying he wished strongman would start testing. It is cool to see shit like the Eddie Hall 500kg deadlift though.

I say let them dope.

Thats 500 KG he has on his back.

As if Brian Shaw isn't roiding.

Of course he is, he just wishes it was tested because he thinks he has a big genetic advantage over everybody else, which he does, and that it would legitimize the sport and make it more lucrative.

Because it is for retarded roiders with no skills.
I have to admit they're strong, but it's raw and ugly.

>no skills.

That's where you are wrong m8