Can non-Slavic speakers tell Slavic languages apart by just listening?

Can non-Slavic speakers tell Slavic languages apart by just listening?

Would you be able to notice the difference between Bulgarian, Czech, Russian, Serbian, etc. as easily as you can tell German apart from English or Spanish apart from Portuguese?

Well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3wAoGzexufo
youtube.com/watch?v=CUAMfg8YAU0
forvo.com/word/тихо/#ru
forvo.com/word/тихо/#bg
forvo.com/word/ticho/#cs
vocaroo.com/i/s0T9BJsGLTun
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump for interest

Polish, ukrainian and belarusian are easy to identify. South slavs on the other hand...

I can distinguish Russian, Polish, (Czech + Slovak), Macedonian, I usually have to think a bit before I recognise Bulgarian and I know Serbian and Slovene. I have no idea how Belarusian or Ukrainian is supposed to sound.

Everyone knows the difference between German and English, especially in europe, not so easy with Spanish and Portuguese but still it isn't hard, but when it comes to slavs i can't tell difference between SK and CZ languages when i read or hear them, or with south slavic, where alphabet will be the only indicator for me

iirc, Slavs branched out of their homeland after the Germanics, meaning that they have had even less time to diverge.

can non-English speakers tell the difference between English, Scots, and Friscian?

No fucking way, its all szsszszzszszs. Russian is easier to differentiate because its quite feminine. Polish is also a lot more relaxed in tone and melody.

I can tell Polish and Russian apart

No idea about the other slavs because I've never heard them talk

>Polish
lol

no, there languages arr rook same

Only difference I'd imagine are South Slav being more influenced by Mediterraneans and Turks

most of them

i can't make the difference between belarusian, ukrainian and russian. and between slovakian and czech. in fact, i think maybe i could between slovakian and czech cause i understand it better

youtu.be/3wAoGzexufo

i watched this but i still cant figure out the difference when i hear them IRL

russians are obvious, ukrainians are shy russians, polish say tak and kurwa and rzerzorz

other east europeans i know: hungarians are aliens, romanians say pentru and add "u" to everything

>Polish is also a lot more relaxed in tone and melody.
Interesting, I'd expect us to be the harshest among slav languages

i'll suck your jewish cock if you can spot the ukrainian out of three russians on the street when they speak. fuck off m8

>KURWA
polish
>CYKA BLYAT
russian
I have no other indicators for slavic languages.

try to spot croatian and serbian scentences .

idem u radnju da kupim hleba

idem u dućan kupiti kruh

jebaću ti kevu

jebat ću ti majku

ne umem da vozim kola

ne znam voziti auto

Some are easier than others, depending on what you speak. As a Russian speaker, anything from the south is nigh indecipherable.

youtube.com/watch?v=CUAMfg8YAU0

he is the shy one :^)
also if his name is something retarded like olyeksandr instead of alexander then it is a giveaway

>dućan
croatia confirmed for rightful isis clay

not at all. Except many romanian (also because of the clothing and particularly agressive begging).

Easily.. I can even tell the difference between Serbian, Bosnian, Croatian etc. But that's probably because I had lots of friends from that area.

Polish is definitely different, but all south slavic languages blend together for me.

yes

A croat, serb and bosniak walk into a bar. There is a black mountain instead of bartender.

Is it a joke about Montenegro?

arr sound same

Depends on the individual's experience with them. Even if they don't understand it at all, if they've heard some of them enough they will be able to tell the difference, it's the same with accents. The closer the accent and the closer the language is to one another, the more challenging it becomes too.

Yes. Russian sounds like Portuguese, the rest do not.

arr sound same

I guessed 8/11, kinda
Or 4/11, if you're strict
I knew the 1st and the 9th were either Belorussian or Ukrainian, but didn't know which one is which
Also for the second my guess was Bulgarian/Macedonian, but I still didn't recognize that the last one was Macedonian
And for the 7th one, I knew it was Croatian/Serbian, but didn't know which

East slavic languages tend to have that kind of coarse "h" sound which I don't really hear in other slavic languages. Also, Russian sounds somewhat "clearer", Belorussian and Ukrainian sound like stranger and slightly different Russian. Also, east slavic languages seem to have more soft consonants. I learned a bit of Russian, so probably that's why it stands out so much for me.

Polish tends to have more ch and sh, although not as easily noticed as the memes would have you think.
Czech I usually recognize by words with "ou" in them, usually at the end of the word?
Slovak sounds a bit less "slavic", to me it sounds like it's pronounced more clearly than other west slavic languages. Also seems to be somewhat similar sounding to Hungarian, just, well, slavic. I don't speak any Slovak but I was told my pronounciation was pretty good when I vocaroo'd some text before. Also, that sample in the video literally said something about matura in Slovak language and literature, so it was easy to guess.

Not sure what to say about south slavic languages, though. Like Slovak, they seem to have a clearer pronounciation, and less soft consonants, but nothing specific stands out. Although I didn't really hear much south slavic before. I know that I can't and will not ever be able to pronounce ć correctly.

>quite feminine
Sh-shut up!

>East slavic languages tend to have that kind of coarse "h" sound

I'm not not sure if you're saying it seriously, but it may be kind of true, considering that Russian is the only Slavic language with strong vowel reduction.

wasn't sure how to best describe it, but what I meant is that sometimes it sounds closer to the german "ch" than to a normal "h"

I don't hear any difference actually

forvo.com/word/тихо/#ru
forvo.com/word/тихо/#bg
forvo.com/word/ticho/#cs

Huh
I must've been imagining things then
Or maybe when I heard Russian it happened to be sentences with more h in it

Russian and other East Slavic very much so.
West and South are tougher.
But I hear none of them regular enough to really vouch for it. No idea what Bulgarian sounds like for example.

try to spot this interslavic scentence:
IDI U SRAKU PEDER

>U SRAKU
>U
>not V
hohol-tier desu

That's 100% East Slavic

Lmao i cant tell them apart myself. I can tell Czech and Polish. Cant distinguish between Rus UA and Belarus. Only sometimes when hohols use same expressions as Slovaks.

South is XD

yes

You have no idea how the Bulgarian language sounds?
vocaroo.com/i/s0T9BJsGLTun
Now you do.

>Russian is easier to differentiate because its quite feminine.
That is the general opinion yes.

>German apart from English
Seriously, they sound nothing alike, I think everyone can distinguish them, even if they've never heard German and English before.

No.