How did Pixies turn out to be such an innovative and influential band...

How did Pixies turn out to be such an innovative and influential band, when all they did was blend Beatles/Beach Boys with Husker Du and the Gun Club?

Why does their music still hold up so well, despite being over a quarter of a century old?

cuz its good

come on pilgrim > the rest

I think come on pilgrims works best alongside surfer rosa, together they are GOAT

the first half of surfer rosa is great and the second half including and or excluding where is my mind doesn't do anything for me

bossanova is severely underrated
doolittle is overrated with it's filler but still pretty good album and i have no opinions on trompe

also the new shit is terrible

>when all they did was blend Beatles/Beach Boys with Husker Du and the Gun Club?
that is a crazy reductionist way to classify what they are. they essentially invented the "quiet-loud" verse-chorus idea, they blended pop melody with very morbid lyrics

classic contrarian Sup Forums. doolittle is by far their best, and it literally has no filler aside from Silver

Doolittle>Surfer Rosa>CoP>The rest

How did Nirvana turn out to be such an innovative and influential band, when all they did was blend Beatles/punk and metal with the pixies?

I used to love doolittle but do you seriously like
>mr grieves
>crackity jones
>la la love you
so much that you have to defend it?

Here comes your man is not a very good song either and where is my mind was played to death by my mom when I was younger so I have no connection to it.

bossanova shows some actual evolution

you're just projecting your pleb onto me

How did Mozart become such an innovative and influential composer, when all he did was blend traditional Bach with Hadyn?

*neither

Mr. Grieves is a fantastic song, so is Here Comes Your Man

Crackity Jones is good enough that I wouldn't consider it filler, and so is La La Love You

>you're just projecting your pleb onto me
"patrician" really just means contrarian desu

this is a very unfortunate opinion..i feel bad for you that you can't find joy in listening to those songs, they're three of the most carefree and obviously enjoyable tracks on there

reminder that bossanova and tompe le monde are the best pixies albums

it's not that i cant enjoy them it just makes the album less enjoyable than bossanova surfer rosa and come on pilgrim

I love all the old pixies albums why can't you faggots just admit that you haven't gone deep enough into their stuff to understand that doolittle is overrated but not shit

why is here comes your man a fantastic song?

>why can't you faggots just admit that you haven't gone deep enough into their stuff to understand that doolittle is overrated but not shit
i've listened to all of their albums and EPs

>why is here comes your man a fantastic song?
it just has a great melody. plus those "aaaaOOOOOOOOOH"s at the end are great. just because he wrote it at 15 and it's not loud or dark doesn't mean it doesn't provide a cool Beatle-esque pause in the early part of the album. fits well imo

well i guess i'm retarded or something but here comes your man is nothing compared to i bleed

i didn't say it was. it's just a fun, lighthearted song to listen to and it fits within the album well in my opinion.

but calling all of doolittle worse than Come on Pilgrim or something just because it has some tracks that are a bit less good is retarded

how does CoP not have filler?

Doolittle is too inconsistent and quirky for it's own good. Surfer Rosa had this perfect balance between outburst of energy, quirkyness and quality songwriting. They go overboard with the quirk factor and it results in obnoxious songwriting. It's a more inconsistent listen as a result of that (like the other user said, Crackity Jones, La La Love You and Mr. Grieves are nowhere near the level of the other songs and I was never a fan of Here Comes Your Man, it doesn't really fit the flow of the album) but it has some of their best moments (Gouge Away for instance).

I'd rate Trompe Le Monde above Doolittle tbqh. It is way more consistent, thematic/songwriting quality wise and it shows a more developed sound. Really underrated record.

>inconsistent
I just want this meme to end. who literally cares if it's inconsistent as long as the songwriting reaches higher peaks? name me better songs by them than Tame, Gouge Away, Debaser, I Bleed, Hey, and Dead. I'll wait

anyone else jerk off to surfer rosa ?

>Doolittle is too inconsistent
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this criticism. Doolittle has more good songs top to bottom than any of their other albums. If anything it's their MOST consistent.

If you don't like an album you don't like an album but don't confuse the issue with faux-buzzword criticism

Of course you think Trompe le Monde is better so you obviously just have shit taste or are trying to be le contrarian in both instances go away

Wave of Mutilation
Bone Machine
Vamos
U-Mass
Planet of Sound
Alecc Eiffel
Letter to Memphis

Also, consistency can be use to measure an album. If you have an album with 10 shit songs and 1 great song it doesn't make it a good album.

I'm trying to wrap my mind on why you fags worship Doolittle and hate on TLM. It's not like they turned 180 on their sound, it still sounds very much like the good ol' Pixies, except heavier on that Frank Black solo sound. If you actually listened to it you'd find some amazing songs in there.

Trompe le Monde is totally mediocre and frankly serves no purpose if you have Surfer, Doolittle, and Bossanova. But I don't actually care what you listen to so do your thing

>Wave of Mutilation
agreed, good thing it's also on the album

only other ones I agree with that are even close are Bone Machine and Vamos

>Also, consistency can be use to measure an album. If you have an album with 10 shit songs and 1 great song it doesn't make it a good album.

good thing Doolittle is 90% their greatest songs and 10% "filler"

>It's not like they turned 180 on their sound, it still sounds very much like the good ol' Pixies, except heavier on that Frank Black solo sound. If you actually listened to it you'd find some amazing songs in there.

literally nobody is hating on it, it's a fine album. but it's nowhere close to doolittle.

just admit you're trying to be a special snowflake contrarian

I'm not though, some of my absolute favourite artists in the rock spectrum are popular as fuck. I just don't think Doolittle deserves all the praise when Surfer Rosa and TLM are better imo. Doolittle is still a fantastic album tho.

Lmao actually listen to it for once mmkay

I've listened to TLM several times as I've listened to all Pixies stuff a lot. It's by FAR their most boring songwriting. You can already hear the magic running out in Bossanova and by TLM it's totally gone and there's no surprise they split soon after. What Kim did in the Breeders right after takes such a steaming shit on TLM.

Just my opinion: they understood the pleasure that comes from anticipation, building up tension and they all had a great sense for knowing when to release it.
That, combined with genuine imagination and the accidental affinity of their timbres (voices and ways of playing) resulted in their success.
>Silver
Great song, only bad one is La La Love You, but that's kind of the point.
>Mr Grieves
>HCYM
>bad

TLM is fucking great man. I was supporting you with Doolittle but what the heck
>Bird Dream
>Letter to Memphis
>Tittle track
>Planet of Sound
>Subbacultcha
>The Navajo Know
All god tier

All those sounds are fantastic, even La La Love You

*songs
fug

Trompe Le Monde has some of their best songs. Definitely not mediocre

It's not a bad record but I have no reason to listen to it when I have what they did before. It's just so underwhelming beside them.

You answered your own question OP.

Not really. Like the other dude said, it has some god tier songs, some of their best stuff. The tone of the album is pretty different from usual Pixies stuff and that puts fanboys away.

> The tone of the album is pretty different
Definitely something about it I don't like. It's hard to put my finger on but the production sounds so... cheap? It's just not something I feel from Doolittle where it all sounds very crisp. Bossanova is kind of halfway between in terms of the production but the TLM production sound I just hate and definitely gives the songs a feeling of sameness.

Those are probably only a fraction of their influence though, think about it

Also; if y'all can't into Crackity Jones then Pixies might not be the band for you to be listening to

Mean to reply to OP

I think the sound in that album is more "synthetic", more artificial. stuff like the voice distortion in Planet of Sound give it a different vibe. So it's heavier on the noise rock influemces. It fits the classic Pixies formula really well.

>synthetic
That's the word. Yeah I dunno. Even though something like Surfer Rosa isn't as studio-clean as Doolittle it still .. I dunno sounds crisper than TLM? I just hate the production style that's all. Think they went the wrong direction.