Scaruffi just gave his first 8/10 since 2014 to a 4-hour-long instrumental hip-hop album called Phonemenomicon by...

Scaruffi just gave his first 8/10 since 2014 to a 4-hour-long instrumental hip-hop album called Phonemenomicon by Impossible Nothing.

scaruffi.com/ratings/2016.html

impossiblenothing.bandcamp.com/album/phonemenomicon

This is also only the second hip-hop album to ever get an 8/10 from him, the other being Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation....

Has anyone listened to this full thing yet? Is it good?

Keep in mind that in this decade, an 8/10 from Scaruffi means top 5 of the decade for him. The only other albums to receive an 8/10 or higher in the 2010s are: Joanna Newsom's Have One On Me, Janelle Monae's The ArchAndroid, Julia Holter's Tragedy, and some metal album I forget the name of.

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/vol6/bjork.html
youtube.com/watch?v=E3vb_2TmFgc
youtu.be/E3vb_2TmFgc?t=196
youtube.com/watch?v=lGsXeybF-Zo
youtube.com/watch?v=qhQNALAhXpU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

scaruffi is an autistic italian with a shitty website, my dog holds more credence towards music reviews

Show us your dog's reviews then.

Listening to A right now, it's kinda cool

dogs cant type on keyboards you fuckin idiot

Checkmate!

If this were famous and praised by music critics he would have called it overrated shit and gave it a 6. Good thing it's something no one's ever heard of.

>Parquet Course
>Course

That's what (((They))) want you to think, you bluepilled fool.

>Scaruffi just gave his first 8/10 since 2014
Not true
This is the most recent album he's given an 8 to, but he just recently gave an 8 to Colors.

[citation needed]

>[citation needed]
scaruffi.com/vol6/bjork.html

Why do you care what this man says?
Anyway, listened to the whole thing once, it's good, I'm gonna listen to it again if I have the time.

>Scaruffi rating literal bandcamp-core
how the mighty have fallen

That's not a citation
State your point

not true

did you even read the OP?

he gave an 8/10 to Janelle Monae, who is very famous and praised by critics, with multiple hit singles. also there are dozens of super popular artists he has give 8-9/10 to, such as The Doors, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, etc.

Yeah but Colors is a 2000s album, I mean that this new one is the first NEW album he's given an 8 to.

Who gives a flying fuck about this Italian autist

newfags that think he's anything other than a meme and take his opinions seriously

I do. He's the greatest living critic of popular music.

seems pretty cool. It seems like an obvious choice for a piero 8, he always goes for things that seem big, sprawling and ambitious.

he's an big meme

>greatest
>critic
does not compute

>hurr le durr critics don't matter, I find everything completely on my own!!

fuck off, as if you would know about this album without him.

I made this album tho

>Texas' mysterious Impossible Nothing painstakingly constructed the monumental four-hour tour de force of Phonemenomicon (2016), consisting of 26 ten-minute collages (each one lasts exactly 10:00). Why 26? Because each piece is titled after a letter of the alphabet.
>A alone contains more ideas than the average three-minute song, lined up to compose a cinematic score with sections that are sentimental and sections that are pure fun. B plunders hip-hop music to create a hypnotic syncopated industrial clockwork. C begins like a lame sample of a lame funk-soul song but soon becomes a harrowing psychodrama... except for returning to a funk-soul party. D deconstructs jazz with a dizzying multitude of colliding fragments. E toys with a pounding Afro-funk shuffle but quickly delves into constantly mutating machine music and towards the end blends in a powerful punch of riff and drumming. F dissolves reggae steps into a molasses of warped electronica that at the end is hijacked by a jazz jam. G targets what sounds like the soundtrack of a thriller, but then takes a detour into a surreal exotic chant, only to end with a more magniloquent cinematic theme. H is another tribute to euphoric soul music of the 1960s with a great break/solo of distorted keyboards at the seven-minute mark. A similar breathtaking solo opens I.
>J first disintegrates funk-jazz of the 1960s, then shoots a hysterical techno missile, then sets in motion cold machine music, then rediscovers humanity in a soaring synth drone and sounds of the beach.
>M concocts a romantic trumpet melody over mechanical polyrhythms that turns into a funk orgy and a videogame sonata. A female shouter has to duel with a rapper, an accordion and a big band in N, one of the virtuoso pieces littered with all sorts of incidents.

>K is pure dancefloor, while S ends in a frenzied state of panic. By the standards of this operation, P is ambient music: the source cannot be identified and all we hear is a hypnotic sequence of beats and chords; a very captivating pieces of instrumental dance music, that towards the end morphs into a sort of xylophone melody. Musique concrete artist Pierre Henry should have done this.
Slavic-gypsy music and dubstep are the ingredients of O. R intones a spastic reggae dancehall beat and a petulant keyboard launches into an anthemic melody played at triple speed. Three more minutes and the piece is invaded by alien noise so that, when the petulant keyboard resumes, it feels like UFO music. T is an even more creative take on reggae rhythm as played by an army of sentient industrial machines. W dishes out some Hendrix-ian chaos mixed with vocal harmonies of the ancient past and ends in a festive beach party. X paints another surrealistic exotic panorama, this one with Indian and klezmer overtones. Z sounds like a synth-pop take on Los Del Rio's dance craze Macarena by electronic funk-jazz guru Herbie Hancock, slowly contaminated by a horn fanfare and by an ecstatic hippy chant. Whenever the artist injects humor or satire, the project evokes the Residents, but clearly a lot more science went into these four hours of superhuman cut and paste.

Idiots who think that not giving a 10 never is the same as "I know what I'm talking about!".

He's THE tastemaker.

prove it

lots of pompous purple prose for something that is essentially an overly-long circa 2004 glitch-hip

>he gave an 8/10 to Janelle Monae, who is very famous and praised by critics, with multiple hit singles. also there are dozens of super popular artists he has give 8-9/10 to, such as The Doors, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, etc.

Those are famous and praised by critics, but actual music listeners don't take them that seriously, other than Bob Dylan, but even then he gives his best albums 4s and 5s.

prove me wrong
protip: you can't

retard

bowie cuck spotted

Why rely on critics? Be a little original and think what you want about a certain artist or album.

>muh no true scotsman
Fuck off lad

> but actual music listeners don't take them that seriously

WTF does this even mean?

Putting minimal value into what a critic might say has little to do with being original you reddit tier faggot.

>actual music listeners don't take them that seriously

lolwut? also he gave Blonde On Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blood On The Tracks all 8 or higher (BoB is actually a 9). you can't tell me those aren't his best albums.

okay, say I want to find an instrumental hip-hop album that is good.

what do I do if I don't look at critics who have already chosen what they consider to be of high quality? listen to thousands of sitty bandcamp, soundcloud, discogs, etc. releases that have that genre tag until I maybe find something decent? come on, that's fucking retarded. nobody does that, it's a waste of time. the artists who don't get reviewed by critics (especially Scaruffi) are rarely worth listening to.

>nobody does that
how do you reckon all these critics find the music that they spoonfeed to braindead lazy retards like you?

dunno, but I'm sure they have their sources.

seriously, do you really think it makes sense to listen to hundreds of hours of random music by literal nobodies in the hopes that you will find some hidden gem that is "better" than everything that is popular, so you can feel super special and think you have unique taste?

this album is hip hop?

ikr

you're a fucking dog man

How am I posting then

lmao you're so clueless
>scaruffi-drones in a nutshell

better listen to some fag on the internet who gave 9 out of 10 to a mash up album

speaking of which he reviewed it in some bandcamp special

youtube.com/watch?v=E3vb_2TmFgc

The instrumentals are quite obviously hip hop beats at their core, yeah.

kek

>on the 8 minute mark on track K he goes on some racist diatribe or something

Well now I know why scaruffi loves it so much.

>changed to Buy Now $1 USD just as I came back home
Fug.

Anyone have a FLAC mega?

are you really going to trust the opinion of someone who thinks it should be legal to fuck 12 year olds?

yeah but it's not like a 'hip hop' album as much as this is just a product of the present producer's mindset, this isn't like rapping as much as it is a sample based album

also in reference to the OP, Janelle Monae's album could be considered a hip-hop type release

just pay a dollar faggot

I'm not paying for some bandcamp shill's album even if Scaruffi gave it an 8/10.

how do you know it's a bandcamp shill if you haven't even heard it, and if that's the case why do you need flac

I'll give it a listen to see if I like it. Seems weird that Scaruffi would listen to a random bandcamp album, but I'm not too familiar with Impossible Nothing anyways. Hope it's good.

Also, don't take his ratings as law, just take them as recommendations. Kind of obvious, but a lot of you don't seem to follow that.

>Also, don't take his ratings as law, just take them as recommendations
I started this way but I feel like I'm unconsciously beginning to identify with them

how do I stop?

Scaruffi's reviewed a few bandcamp albums (a couple I know of is Field Recordings from the Edge of Hell and In Black Robes, both of which got a 7.5). I'm pretty sure if you just ask him to review something and make a half decent case for checking it out, he'll listen and write about it.

How long until Scaruffi discovers Vaporwave?

The reason that I take scaruffi seriously is that every single one of his 7.5's and 8's is fucking great or amazing, and no one has ever done much to actually listen to all of them like I did

>how do I stop?
You stumble upon Korn or Aqua or that EDM metal album he gave a 7/10 to recently.

I think Scaruffi would appreciate some vaporware releases

Post a photo of ureselve doggo

dogs can't use cameras you fucking idiot

maybe some but he'd probably write off a lot of its ethos

watch me

>actual music listeners

good old Sup Forums. still as autistic as always i see

youtu.be/E3vb_2TmFgc?t=196

scaruffi confirmed fantanodrone

>Appetite for Destruction
>great or amazing

t. cat

this isnt that great to be honest

but is it any good?

well the cover is fucking awful

> Z sounds like a synth-pop take on Los Del Rio's dance craze Macarena by electronic funk-jazz guru Herbie Hancock

I'm sold

I mean it isn't like impressive but there isn't anything wrong with it?

uh its ugly as fuck?

so far the musics pretty good tho.

How can a man be so right all the time?

all these scruffy reviews recently

except it's not ugly as fuck, and you are actually wrong

Haha this picture. Goddamn I love this man.

>mfw Texas finally has more than 3 notable bands
Also, you know he's gonna give this an 8 too
He wants to breed with paul banks and danny.

>it samples Hoppipolla
I can't take this seriously.

>electronic funk-jazz guru Herbie Hancock

Eh I feel like the songs on that album are too conventionally structured to a point where it is a fault, and despite its strengths I still feel that scaruffi will think this too

It's good but at the same time overrated by Scaruffi. Given that Scaruffi values innovation It's really ignorant (if not, then hypocritic) how he puts an album that sounds too indebted to VHS Head and other glitch artists of recent years the rank of second best hip-hop album of all time and greatest of 2016. If duration is all that matters then he would have given Pan Sonic's Kesto an 8, too

>Scaruffi drones

who literally gives a fuck

Has he rated Elseq yet? I wonder what score he is going to give it.

me

>seriously, do you really think it makes sense to listen to hundreds of hours of random music by literal nobodies in the hopes that you will find some hidden gem that is "better" than everything that is popular, so you can feel super special and think you have unique taste?
No, so I can sift through music I don't necessarily care for and find music I like best.

>VHS Head
who?
link?

youtube.com/watch?v=lGsXeybF-Zo

If you're looking through a specific genre, and you're going through bandcamp or discogs or whatever, and you're not looking at ANY critics, how the fuck do you know if anything is better than anything else BEFORE listening? do you just pick ones with album covers or titles you like?

The layering reminds me more like his second album.

youtube.com/watch?v=qhQNALAhXpU

>like his
*of his

yikes

>and you're not looking at ANY critics
rateyourmusic.com

>links a website for music criticism

bruh

not everyone has the time to sift through all music that gets released to find the good albums

that's why you have reviewers in the first place

>average RYM user is better than Scaruffi
lmao

are you implying that the people who rate/review albums on RYM are not critics? what kind of arbitrary standard for criticism do you have? I've seen how people review on that site, you think Scaruffi is pretentious and idiotic, jesus wait until you see what kind of cringefests RYM has to offer.

lmao, exactly my thoughts

Oh my mistake, you guys are talking about music objectively. I don't think my favorite music is the "best" or anything nor do I know if it's "better" before listening to it. That's what I listen to it. I get recommendations based off of stuff I listen to. I do look at what's "critically acclaimed" before diving into a genre or st, but I use those as reference. Otherwise, I browse around for albums similar to those or related somehow. And yeah, I use multiple platforms to find new music (Spotify, YT, GPlay, Bandcamp, SoundCloud). I don't keep to date with critics, read their full interviews, I don't care. If I like it, I do. If I don't, I don't. Music is too much of a pissing contest for some people. While artists do try to advance their craft, the product is what it is to the artist, not necessarily something to compare as better or worse than something. It just is.