Why can't america make good electronic music?

why can't america make good electronic music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UeiH9Mm0E5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=lSooYPG-5Rg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Babbitt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cage
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Tudor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Arts_Union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Deutsch
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Subotnick
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seastones
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

too busy fucking their cousins, burning down mosques, smoking meth, smoking weed, shooting eachother and stealing from eachother.

whoa

Log off from your stolen computer, Pajeet

damn

america did at one point, chicago and detroit techno/acid house was amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=UeiH9Mm0E5Y

>english fag calling Americans inbred

americans make better electronic music than any other country

americans are great at making chill out feel good music like your pic. europe is better at making more intense and hard hitting shit.

i cant argue against that. some americans can make good intense stuff like kayzo, and some europeans make good chill out music like alesia

EDM is shit

wrong

it is
did you even hear that link he posted
it's not even music, just noise

that song he linked was shit, ill give you that

but 50% of edm is at least tolerable, 25% is excellent, and the other 25% is awful

Will they tour in 2017?
>Daftendirektour 97
>Alive tour 07
>??? 17 ???

can you provide some edm that's better than "mr fingers" garbage?

youtube.com/watch?v=lSooYPG-5Rg

ez

pls do not bully, this a social justice hugbox

wow this is amazeballs

nice sarcasm

most of what porter makes is very very good for an american

>edm general

very good idea but unfortunately it wont get any replies

Americans were making good electronic music before Europeans.

we literally

invented

techno

Schaeffer and Halim weren't American though

>electronic music started in 1980

You wouldn't call it techno if it weren't for Juan Atkins.

And?

Electronic music started in the 1920s while he wasn't even sperm yet

>electronic music started in 1980
Electronic music existed long before the 80s, but America still invented techno and house

And?

If you want to go at it from that angle, Americans were hugely influential in the invention and development of the synthesizer.

How lovely for them

gay black EDM "styles" perpetuated by major label record executives
wow big whoop

It really doesn't make any sense to write Americans out of the history of electronic music, but I guess the eurotrash is willing to go through huge leaps in logic to create a narrative that feeds their anglo superiority complex. I guess it eases the pain of living in a shithole.

>from that angle

What do you mean? Look up any definition from Wikipedia, RYM, last.fm, Grove music encylopedia... "electronic music is all music produced electronically", what other angle is there?

haha

you're actually right

Americans, just remember

the people shitting on techno and house are from Sup Forums 9 times out of 10. See: Thank you Detroit for techno, nobody did it better

americans can't into subtlety, generally speaking

there has been very little good american music since the 70s

in electronic music, the ranking goes:

Germany > USA >>> United Kingdom

only entry-level IDM plebs disagree

lol

I personally like Detroit techno more than anything else, but yes UK edm is shit.

OK, so we're talking about music that is produced electronically. Again, Americans are the real pioneers, because we played the leading role in pioneering synthesizers.

>le electronic music is EDM or IDM meme

don't use "edm" you filthy american

That's the definition everywhere except this cesspool joke of a music board

Tycho and Emancipator alone are better than 90% of British electronic music

>helped make one instrument used by some artists
>we invented it all and are the best

Oh u Septics

edm is a real thing you fucking moron

>don't use electronic!
>don't use electronic dance music!
>you have to use the exact subgenres you're talking about rather than just using an umbrella term!

That's what I'm talking about right now. You're reading too much into my choice of the words "from that angle".

I rank Germany first in part because of people like Klaus Schulze, Edgar Froese, and Conrad Schnitzler. there is no assumption here that all electronic music is edm or idm

Thank you America for Moog!
Thank you America for techno!
Thank you America for house!

delet

Do you say "string music" and talk about rock, metal, punk, reggae, folk, funk, soul and flamenco at once?

say "electronic dance music" or "dance music".

"EDM" is a term that was invented very recently by American record labels to push their product of very generic cooke cutter trap and big room house.

You saw the same thing in the late 90s when the label "electronica" was used to help market acts like The Prodigy and Fatboy Slim in the states (who went on to have several Top 40 hits here)

You're welcome. I'd thank Europe for breaks, that was also kind of our idea considering the genre's hip-hop origins. At least you thought up chopping them up and speeding them up, that was creative.

Okay cool

Who made the first electronic music recording?

Schaeffer?

We invented the instruments and we invented the genres. All Europeans invented was taking ecstasy to our music.

I mean they spun several derivative genres out of what we had created by merging it with their own influences, but we set the building blocks.

Lol, so pathetic

I'm glad you mentioned that. It's worth noting that one of the major influences that the British combined with our music was dub. That wasn't a European native style either, they stole that one too, this time from the Jamaicans.

The EDM umbrella only appeared when the USA got into club music and didn't have a good enough understanding of rhythm or tempo to differentiate between dubstep/D&B/electro. Or were just fucking lazy lel

Like hip hop, started by a Jamaican making Jamaican music using Jamaican MC'ing... his parents just decided to move to the Bronx

>when the USA got into club music and didn't have a good enough understanding of rhythm or tempo
you mean in the 80's when Americans were literally doing "club music" before anyone else?

Jimmy Saville was doing club music with twin turntables in the UK in the 40s

Jamaicans were spinning electronic and dub tunes while Yanks were still on a comedown from Woodstock

Americans were doing it, but it was widely dismissed by a lot of people as being too gay and too black or weird "mechanical, computer" music (fallout from the disco backlash). With the exception of a few pop hits with house influences, American dance music was not accepted in the mainstream.

You got it completely backwards

Europe is based on tradition and puritan values, the UK has historically been one of the least malleable first world countries when it comes to anything boundary pushing.

The US on the other hand was founded on the premise of "fuck you" and it's laced into every aspect of their culture.

This

The ONLY good downtempo artist is Moby, the rest are all european

*only good American

>American dance music was not accepted in the mainstream.

considering only the worst type of electronic dance music ever went mainstream thats not a bad thing. or do you wanne be proud that crazy frog went number one in britbong land

We make the best, always have.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Babbitt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cage
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Tudor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Arts_Union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Deutsch
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Subotnick

In 1970, Miles came out with Bitches Brew, which you can say is the first notable "sampled album," as Miles and Maceo were cutting up and rearranging, not just editing, (their own) music.

This gave way to more Jazz musicians experimenting with electronics.

And how about a multichannel electronic album in 1975!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seastones

Then you have Philip Glass, Terry Riley, Steve Reich, Steve Roach, Mort Garson, eventually Detroit Techno, Turntablism, and Hip-Hop.

But why didn't you like techno house and electro? Why let hip hop go mainstream instead?

>do you wanne be proud that crazy frog went number one in britbong land
The uk charts are fucking weird. Like even My Bloody Valentine have had Top 40 hits.

>Why let hip hop go mainstream instead?
Tbf early hip-hop and electro were very much intertwined and had a brief period of mainstream success in the early 80s.

There's an interesting parelell between electro in the hip-hop style and electro that later developed alongside techno and the whole trap rap genre and latter "EDM" trap gene we have today.

Sure, but why did Public Enemy get so much love but not Underground Resistance?

Lyrics to sing along too.

you really don't like that mr fingers track? I love it, its a classic house song. how could you say it's just noise?

Public Enemy was more marketable to suburban America as well as the fact that they communicated their message/politics much more succinctly (vocally) than UR.

>Jimmy Saville was doing club music with twin turntables in the UK in the 40s

It's not like he was isolating drum breaks (maybe he was, but there's no evidence of that). Early DJs simply strung songs together.

Wasn't until Kool Herc looped breaks that modern DJing and Hip-Hip was born.

Makes sense. IDGAF about this whole US v UK bollocks, I just think it's interesting how the 2 countries just went different tangents with hip hop VS rave etc, yet starting with same ingredients of synthpop, disco, Jamaican immigration in each country and end up at the same place, yet different with EDM and dance music, hip hop and Grime.

Praise Herc

All popular music is for tweens.

Art = trad > popular

It's funny seeing people who are into "house" and "techno" get their panties in a twist as if those styles are any more legitimate than the so-called """EDM""" trap and big room styles.

This includes rock/metal/punk, r&b/funk/soul, jazz, pop and hip hop.

Go spread the word in all threads my brother.

Why would I refer to it as just dance music when there is both acoustic dance music and electronic dance music (EDM). Just saying dance music makes the assumption that other genres like hip-hop aren't dance music when in fact hip-hop is most of what they play at the clubs (at least where I'm from). And besides, when someone says dance music I think of disco, funk, hip hop, salsa, cumbias, reggaeton, samba, and brazilian funk-carioca, etc. Throw in the electronic in there and then I think of other genres like synth funk, house, trance, etc.

Everyone knows hip hop is just another EDM genre like jungle.

ew