Hey Sup Forums I'm only just getting into Emo and have figured that I really, really like this genre...

hey Sup Forums I'm only just getting into Emo and have figured that I really, really like this genre. Where do I go after image related?
I'm a big fan of Bright Eyes and Connor Oberst's solow work as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uq-ykuVX6rI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touché_Amoré
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emo_artists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Manor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weezer
youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9PD6OaJbI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

None of those are emo, lol

Then I've been led astray. Please help me.

I'm just being an asshole, they're emo
Listen to Snowing and Modern Baseball

Dowsing, The Hotelier, Sorority Noise, Algernon Cadwallader, JANK.

Those are some pretty good bands. Brand New is great, if you haven't heard Deja Entendu you should take a listen. A bit less mature than TDAG but still great.

Kings of the board and emo: Slint- Spiderland
Dismemberment Plan- Emergency and I
Weezer- Pinkerton
Rites of Spring- S/t
Fugazi- Red Medicine

Recent peeps-
Touche Amore- Stage Four
The Wytches- Annabel Dream Reader
Pinegrove- Cardinal
Joyce Manor- Never Hungover Again
Jeff Rosenstock- We Cool?

what the fuck are you talking about? 95% of those bands aren't emo

Hi I like emo, here are some reccs

The Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back From The Discomfort, We're Alright
William Bonney - Good Vibes (As well as Midwest Pen Pals - Inside Jokes and Merchant Ships - For Cameron, they just keep remaking bands over and over)**
Brand New - Daisy
Mineral - Endserenading
Tigers Jaw s/t
The Get Up Kids - Something To Write Home About
Sunny Day Real Estate - Diary
Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) - What It Takes To Move Forward
The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There**
Modern Baseball - Sports**
Touche Amore - Stage Four
The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - Whenever, If Ever
Snowing - Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit
American Football s/t

That's a mixed bag with twinkly emo, screamo, and post-hardcore just so you can find out perhaps what specifically you like.

** are personal favorites

Anything by La Dispute

Also Tigers Jaw and American Football are personal favorites, I forgot to mark them.

Orig Emo was the 1984-86 shit that came out on Ian Mackaye's (Fugazi) label out of DC like Nomeanso youtu.be/uq-ykuVX6rI

oh, shut the fuck up

Muh screamo

great list. i wish Jack (MPP, MS, WB) was still making screamo instead of folk music

These aren't even emo, except Rites of Spring

Early Jimmy Eat World
Texas Is the Reason
Christie Front Drive

Modern Baseball and Sorority Noise are good current bands

triggered

Wasn't Skrillex in a shitty emo band in the early 2000s?

rites of spring isn't emo just because a few zines said they were.

None of those are emo, man.

The word emo was invented to describe bands who saound like Rites of Spring.

Rites Of Spring were very emo.

How'd you calc 95% out of 10 bands?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touché_Amoré
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emo_artists
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Manor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weezer
Generally the ones that are post-hardcore I listed blend emo into their music if they're not considered "wholly emo". Please stop having such a black and white vision of genres, all these bands have strong emotional rock cores which embodies the genre of EMO

Criminally underrated emo

youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9PD6OaJbI

Slint, D-Plan, Fugazi, Weezer, Touche Amore, Joyce Manor, and Jeff Rosenstock are susre as shit not emo. Again, this is not a statement on their quality, but fucking hell.

Yeah, From First To Last.

They weren't really emo though, more post-hardcore/mall screamo. They kinda just sounded like a shittier version of Underoath.

>susre?
I can sort of understand your disposition of not including Slint, D-Plan, Jeff, and Joyce as not emo but how in the living fuck are Touche Amore and Pinkerton-era Weezer not emo. If they aren't then emo is an absolute microcosm of a genre that like 10 bands would be included in. Such a dumb argument anyway against the others, it's like saying Rage against the Machine isn't rap.

I mean, Weezer was power pop through and through. I haven't listened to Touche Amore in a long while admittedly, but I remember them being a part of that cheesy melodic hardcore scene that popped up circa 2011.

>susre
It's a typo. Could you not piece that one together?

Early Joyce Manor is emo.

Weezer isn't really emo outside of Blue Album, Pinkerton comes kind of close but River's songwriting is somewhat classic rockish in nature despite being so confessional. Pinkerton did help influence later emo acts though.

Touche Amore I wouldn't really say is emo outside of Stage Four (their latest album).

I will grant that early Joyce Manor had a huge Jawbreaker vibe, but that guy said Never Hungover Again.

Thats true. NHA and Cody were both much more pop punk than emo.

But while we're talking about it, how good is 24 Hour Revenge Therapy? Outpatient through Condition Oakland is fucking perfection.

Not really what the fuck were you trying to say sus? Like tenuously emo? Or screamo maybe? Maybe I'm retarded today but I have absolutely no clue.

e·mo
ˈēmō/
noun
a style of rock music resembling punk but having more complex arrangements and lyrics that deal with more emotional subjects.
You really don't think anything Weezer does resembles punk and has lyrics dealing with more emotional subjects? Seriously I don't get why it's such a big deal to include them in the genre for you unless you want all emo to just be hardcore.

I'm kind of new to the genre
Here are some of my favorite bands so far
Not sure if they're all emo, lemme know

American Football
Snowing
Old Problems
Modern Baseball
Jimmy Eat World
La Dispute
Weezer (Blue Album)
Cap'n Jazz

Remove the second 's.' I feel like context clues should have sorted that out.

I seriously have no idea what is and isn't emo. It's honestly the most annoying fucking genre because it seems like everything is it, but also isn't. Pinkerton, really? It just confuses the hell out of me.

funny how rites of spring sounds like fugazi and doesn't sound like any emo band at all

Genres are as much about tying bands to scenes and time periods as much as anything.

They sound like Fugazi in that they have the same vocalist. Otherwise, almost not at all. Fugazi was never as melodic, never as catchy, had a huge dub influence and later on the noise influence.

Pinkerton is nothing but power pop. I wouldn't call it emo for a second.
Also
>Not really what the fuck were you trying to say sus? Like tenuously emo? Or screamo maybe? Maybe I'm retarded today but I have absolutely no clue.
What a fucking dick, I genuinely hope you get obnoxiously called out for typos every single time you make one

Sorry I really was retarded for a second and couldn't figure out "sure" I apologize, I said it was a possibility.
And for your Pinkerton point, albums and bands can be multiple genres! Sure the entire album is power pop with strong elements of emo music because of the amount of songwriting that details emotional distress matched with loose punk-esque playing.

Dude I love a lot of the bands you listed but I gotta say I can't see slint or fugazi even being emo. They are related to the genre but wholly separate, in the same way that modest mouse might not be emo but is influential in the genre. same can be said for weezer.

I am absolutely obsessed with william bonney. All the offshoots from members of this band are incredible. Park Jefferson, The Exploration, Midwest Pen Pals, Merchant ships. All so tight. Currently really stuck on this Knola. Its like post-William bonney

>I read it on Wikipedia so its true

my bad its low res