Anyone on Sup Forums ever get signed / officially release anything?

Pic related. This guy is in SC threads sometimes and apparently just got signed. Just wondering how do you do it? Do you really just email small labels and send demos until someone bites? My band has been playing small shows and sending demos out for a while but still nothing.

Tips and tricks appreciated. Anyone have experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OXeWPTNjPxc
reddit.com/r/Music/comments/1wt8jl/lorde_posting_her_song_royals_on_mu_in_2012/cf5ntch/
youtube.com/watch?v=44IYzXRhF_4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm on 4AD. In a duo.

what band?

Also I seem to recall stories of Lorde lurking and submitting shit to SC threads before she blew up. Is there any truth to this?

Not really but, apparently lots of bands are let go after one album. The band has to create its market first is my opinion or it may as well self release.

Are labels even worth it? Like, you're not really gonna live off of music if you're on some small indie label.

got signed to what? i remember seeing this guy in threads. whats his name again? something intruder something

tune-yards

Nope. Lemon Twigs

Unwanted Houseguest.
youtube.com/watch?v=OXeWPTNjPxc

Not sure where he got signed. I follow him on instagram and earlier he posted a pic in some fancy studio. Someone asked him what was up in the comments and he said he was "signing papers"

My question, though: what does signing actually do? Do you get money to make music?

I was offered a record deal with some independent internet label because of a vaporwave EP that I put out as a joke a few years back. I declined.

She denies it but yes she posted early demos that are unmistakably her. Someone asked her on twitter if she used to browse Sup Forums and she said "o i am laffin"

It's the origin of that phrase.

What was the deal, though? They would pay you money to release it? Sorry I'm just totally fucking clueless as to how the music industry works.

From my understanding they can pay you some money up front to finish a release, but you're basically selling your fucking soul. Fuck signing to some small label. Probably get nothing out of it.

Agreed. Self release until you at least have a decent fan base. Looks like this guy only has 100 YT subscribers lol. He must know someone.

What seems to happen is bands get an advance on sales which they then use to record the album and then royally piss the rest up the wall, get let go and then wonder why they then have less than what they even started with before they met the label.

reddit.com/r/Music/comments/1wt8jl/lorde_posting_her_song_royals_on_mu_in_2012/cf5ntch/
She denied having anything to do with us :'(
Admitting she was on Sup Forums would be career suicide for her tho so not sure what I expected

It's mostly just about making connections, pitching yourself and having something original or easy to market. I'm planning on shopping around for labels when I finish my album. Just hoping it doesn't end up being as hard as Meat Loaf had it when he went pitching Bat Out Of Hell to labels.

It doesn't work. Some people find their audience but the vast majority get chewed up and shit out. Self-release and play small venues until you find your audience. Labels are fucking obsolete.

Or you might be signed so that you're not a threat to the big talent already on the rosta and effectively moth-balled with no legal rights to anything ever until blackhole death of the universe.

>Labels are fucking obsolete.
Not quite.

Eh one of his vids has 3k views. I've seen other signed bands with fewer views. People need to stop acting like getting signed is a good thing, though. Indie artists especially they just fuck over for a few bucks and then tell them to fuck off.

How do you shop it around? Do you set up meetings? I imagine online submissions don't do shit.

For a indie artist starting off they are. There are easier ways online to establish your own brand without selling over the rights to all your music.

You can get some money up front. A lot of indie labels have basically no money though and can only do very limited runs which won't help you much unless you have a base.

Really? A small sympathetic label could help get a rookie band rolling. Self releasing is still pissing in the wind just the same.

Exactly what happened to my cousin's band.

yikes that song is pretty bad.

Play live.
Play live.
Play live.
Talk to random small venues. Open for some random shit you've never heard of. Find a band that's like you and contact them. Putting shit online is shouting into the void, but putting on a good live show gets you interest.

€1,500 @ 35% apr, that's a 300 box of cds and some promotion.

>this gets signed
Shit there's hope for me yet

*pfffff* the he'll of it all.

>labels don't want my shit so I'll tell everyone that labels suck
You're not totally wrong but your post seems a bit clouded by personal experience

>tfw I went to school with PWR BTTM and now they're blowing up
AMA

are they gay

Publish you're music. You can buy stickers with a barcode. It's like an isbn for songs. You're going to need legal protection if the band is serious. Would you take Chuck Berry to court? Of course you would.

one is
the other only pretends to be

It's always funny to me how people blame the "shitty music industry" for their failure to succeed as a professional artist. 99% of music released on labels that does not gain any traction isn't very good. But no, keep blaming labels for your generic and laughably average indie rock band's success.

How does a small label "promote" you exactly??

The video is alright but the music is nothing special. Based off the image I thought the music would be more interesting.

What I mean is take out a credit card offer and spa zz it all on the first record and printing some flyers and phoning every record shop in the USA. That might do it. Seriously.

Leave dirty messages on their mom's mobile, it's a good hook to get going with.

Eh I have some money in savings.
Maybe I'll just fucking go for it.

>99% of music released on labels that does not gain any traction isn't very good

ya but lables and publicists are also like a filter, people will assume you're an amateur if you don't have them.

Is it worth printing physical media? Who gives a fuck about CDs anymore

Unbearably this isn't even true.

Depends on your market.

Because I think streaming is back-firing, the whole thing is a total mess.

>find out my shit has actually been played a fair bit on spotify
>made 10 dollars
Streaming sucks.

Didn't Will Toledo post his early Car Seat Headrest stuff here?

Yep

I was gonna play the bass for some guy but he didn't pay me so FUCK THAT. Played for free for like 1 month

There was a black metal band that apparently did.

no, but he browsed here

This is how you get signed in 2017 ad.

Make a a viral youtube video and catchy song that becomes a big hit, spread it onto every social media platform, bribe click bait journalists to write about you.
Bribe small time music critics to review your shitty music.

Then.

youtube.com/watch?v=44IYzXRhF_4

worked with diiv minus the catchy music. just some fag who plays "dress up and pretend to be a dead rockstar" and makes tryhard core. The only way they can try any harder is if the frontman legally changed his name to Kurt Cobain

part 2

after having gained the attention of jew business men and singing a contract so they can own the rights to your music.

Spam yourself on mu, using the technique of meme magic, you will force yourself and or your band into becoming a forced meme, do not be dishearten by people who hate you, you must channel your autism into spamming every day till trolls start doing it for you ironically.

Once this is accomplished, go live in Brooklyn and pretend to be friends with the pitchfork writers till they give you a good score, make sure to provide them with heroin

Once you have commodifed, and meme'ed yourself into becoming a well known brand, every now and then do something shocking or funny for attention so no one forgets.

Also release music or something

Hmm, now how does on find a good producer?

Pretty sure there's a production general. lurk then ask around there. check out soundcloud threads too.

Its actually like way easier to get signed in the internet era, its just you make no money because you get jewed out of it by 360 deals, and music piracy.

Like, its the same concept of getting famous, its way easier now, one youtube video, one funny pic.

The media is soooooooo easy to manipulate.
Look at trump, all he has to do is say "mexicans are rapists", and he gets wall to wall coverage and walks into the white house.

Just make some fake email accounts and pretend to be other people, then send a video of yourself doing something stupid or crazy to clickbait sites, from there more and more click bait sites will pick it up, then it will keep moving up the food chain and you're famous over night.

There is this really great book called trust me im lying that explains lots of ways to manipulate the media.

Also you could probably just google techniques on how to go viral