Can you truly appreciate music without being able to play an instrument?

can you truly appreciate music without being able to play an instrument?

no sorry

No. Not even debatable

Nope. You think you'll be able to, but you'll only be deluding yourself. Everyone else can see through your facade.

How proficient should one to be able to "appreciate" it?

you have to be able to play hot cross buns

>Hey guys isn't this part of the song really cool?
>guitarist literally playing a scale in exact order
these people actually exist

bump for interest

there's nothing wrong with simplicity

ok but we're talking about the audience not the performer

for starters, someone who does not play an instrument, literally cannot appreciate music because they cannot tell the difference between composition and arrangement.

Learning about production gave me a greater appreciation for music than playing instruments.
It's a lot of overlooked work, takes skill, and can make or break an album.

YES YOU CAN TOTALLY APPRECIATE MUSIC WITHOUT PLAYING AN INSTRUMENT ITS ABOUT FUCKING FEELINGS

no

to add, you also need a solid command of musical theory

The ability to make music along with some basic music theory will transform the way you think of music.

what if i sing OP?, singing is the true art of music and most people in their lives will be able to do it

not true. there was a time in my life where i wasn't into music that didn't do music-theory-ish things like harmony and stuff but thats just cause thats what i was into but other times i could only be into music that had cool textures or good songwriting or whatever else you know what i mean like it just depends on what you're looking for in music

you can know nothing about theory ever and just enjoy the various other things music has to offer like its feel or its poetry or its visual-type qualities like sounds or whatever

i only personally like it cause i couldnt do the other things, and it creates a kind of like mysterious feeling to me when things are modulating a lot to me and i like being there. plus harmony never goes out of style.

Can you truly apreciate life without being able to understand the unified field theory, the general theory of relativity, organic chemistry, molecular biology and ecology?

I payed the recorder in 4th grade so I self identify as a musician. Has made my appreciation for music gone up by many

I love you

o fuck but basic grasp of musical theory will give you extreme disdain for plebs

you have a radio on and it plays some pop tune or other that's nothing but some simple pentatonic scale stuff with nothing interesting going on with timbre or rhythm or whatever and you're like "lol even I could make a song like this in 5 minutes" and your friend says "suuure" because (s)he thinks that making music is some kind of arcane art that no mere mortal can do

or some fuccboi says "I write songs" then he shows you and he just plays some 3 chord progression on guitar with a chorus pulled straight out of "music for dummies"-book, all the vaginas around you will melt like the glaciers during global warming but you're like "what you just witnessed is the equivalent of what instant ramen is to culinary arts"

Im wondering this too.

I like this explanation

what if you're autistic but gifted with above average intuition

me too hahah
love this

This is probably the best argument, anyone can enjoy music people I honestly hope Sup Forums is being ironic and no one actually thinks you need to play an instrument to actually appreciate music. If anything knowing how to play an instrument can ruin your perception of songs by giving you thoughts of something being too simple rather than thinking about why the song is good. I had a friend who swore artists who weren't super technically advanced at their instruments were shit but he hated so many great artists because of it.
Besides how many people on Sup Forums actually are good at an instrument desu

Yeah I get that I think that happens to anybody that starts studying like theory stuff you'll become this asshole who can't handle the music being played in a restaurant because it's just one thing and you start feeling like you're being brainwashed by the monotony and getting all claustrophobic and your palms sweat so you ask to go to the bathroom so you don't make a scene but it's louder in there so you take advantage of the empty room and scream obscenities at the loudspeakers embedded into the walls. Please god change just go to another section anything just do something please you're just a texture where are you coming from, who made you? what made you? then the manager knocks on the door because you've been screaming as loud as you can in the bathroom for 25 minutes and you didn't even notice

I'll play your hot cross buns

I'd say if you can play the intro to Stairway to Heaven, you are good enough to truly appreciate music