Damn this is fantastic. It feels like the 50s in the 70s, whatever that means. Where should I go from here...

Damn this is fantastic. It feels like the 50s in the 70s, whatever that means. Where should I go from here, in terms of Costello or otherwise ?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S66887780#p66890565
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can't go wrong with this

And I agree, he's very effective for a singer/songwriter

Talking Heads 77 if you haven't checked it out already

Just keep going chronologically through his discog. Everything up to and including Imperial Bedroom is fantastic imo.

I think he kind of falls off after that, but then again I've only listened up to Spike + The Juliet Letters. They're still pretty decent though, just not as good as his early work.

Excellent shout, Marquee Moon fits into the same vibe too

>Damn this is fantastic.
no it isn't

stop aggrandizing this faggot you ugly retard
maybe get a life while you're at it

Relax

Pretty much this. Just carry on through his discography if you want more like it.

Others who have a similar sound that you might want to check out though are Nick Lowe, The Pretenders, Squeeze, Joe Jackson, Ian Dury, Graham Parker, Dexys Midnight Runners and Dave Edmunds. Actually most stuff on Stiff has a similar feel to it.

damn user you rekt him

Listen to Chris Isaak. Very influenced by rockabilly, but has a lot of atmosphere in his music.

Specifically, listen to "Wicked Game". That song is the fucking tits.

user, OP posted Elvis Costello not Car Seat Headrest. They're subtely different in appearance.

I tried getting into Elvis Costello but I found I enjoyed everything after his first 2 albums a lot less. Anyone else have this dilemma ?

Thanks for the recs! Punk/variations of punk is a genre I'm not well versed in

his Live at the El Mocambo is in the archive and is pretty great

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S66887780#p66890565

link is still live :)

Sort of. I think his first three are definitely his best and the others aren't as good, but there's still some really, really great albums in his career.

This is great, thanks for sharing

sure thing, pal.

as for >Thanks for the recs! Punk/variations of punk is a genre I'm not well versed in

you might try The Cars s/t first album and likewise The Violent Femmes but you probably already know those.

Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady is kinda like Costello's "actually talented but still punky attitude" but just to the louder/raw side. Likewise, The Damned Machine Gun Ettiquite

The first Cure album, Three Imaginary Boys (1979), has no synths and is more of a post punk vibe

this guy's recs are probably more on-target, honestly. the Stiff catalog is great.

Thanks for more recs friend. I have a lot of punk(ish) to explore and listen to today. I've tried the more raw stuff like Stooged or Dead Kennedys or what have you and I just don't like it at all. This kind of stuff with more of a pop sensibility is great.

the first devo and police records are good and new wave punky

Yeah I already have them. Police are one of my favorites, well, before Syncronicity at least. That crosses over too much into pop for me.

>The Police are one of my favorites
My Nigga
This has been the best answer. In particular Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds. Really, check out their Rockpile stuff.

I have like 15 new albums to listen to. Excellent. Thanks for all the help

/thread

this is one of the top 10 best albums ever made imo

Armed Forces is his best album but you need to listen to This Year's Model first to sort of transition between them.

Also this makes two Elvis Costello threads in one day. I'm pleasantly surprised

I'm up to Get Happy!! right now. I found Armed Forces mediocre compared to the first 2 but I thought the first 2 were incredible so maybe that's not fair.

I like them all, I just think the songwriting and the instrumentation was at its best on Armed Forces. To each their own I guess