>It's a reddit tries to get into jazz episode

reddit.com/r/Music/comments/5qysg9/for_a_huge_music_fan_who_has_never_really_taken/

I'm making this thread so we can laugh at reddit and their inferior taste haha guys fucking plebs. Because ours is so much better haha

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=74TQMjY7KHQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Haha those plebs

i wish there was an alternative to the endless torrent of anonymous shitposting and bile of Sup Forums and the embarrassing self-unaware circlejerk of r/music

both awful communities for completely different reasons

Nobody unironically does this, r/music is practically Sup Forumstwo anyway.

jazz is reddit

But why are you ever going to reddit?

There's literally a subreddit for jazz. r/Music doesn't know shit about music. Kind Of Blue always has and always will be a terrible first record for someone new to jazz considering that while it is great, a lot of the subtle aspects that make the record great are lost on beginners.

You can tell they're all plebs because they haven't brought up.....

So I can feel better about myself being clearly superior of course :^)

Some guy mentioned Head Hunters in the first few replies

Despite the basic taste it's still far better than the average Sup Forums jazz thread

well, yeah, but that's r/music, notoriously one of the worst music-related subreddits in existence

>first post talks about Head Hunters
Did you even go to the page?

>95% of their posts are just links to videos of popular songs and circlejerking about those songs in the comment sections
For what purpose does this place exist?

Holy shit, Drake. You're even fucking dumber than usual. It's one thing that you don't actually know shit about jazz, but you can't even read?

WELL THAT'S NOT ENOUGH.

so normies can feel smart and act like they know something

As opposed to Sup Forums where 95% of the posting is just a random album cover and then people calling each other fags, plebs, or contrarians

>You can tell they're all plebs because Head Hunters is on the most-voted comment
FTFY drake lewis

I like it when people on this board make fun of reddit's music taste while all the boards on Sup Forums except for Sup Forums also have shit taste (try to bring a music discussion on any board where it's kinda thematically allowed and it will be a bunch of lwg's or top40-fags or random indie-poppy quasi-alternative shit) so it could be said that Sup Forums in general has shit taste just like reddit in general has shit taste, just like whole Earth in general has shit taste.

At least you get some dissent and discussion on Sup Forums. On reddit, every post is like, "remember this cool pop song from 20 years ago? Isn't it great?" and all the comments just agree with them.

kek yeah, I remember when we raided some thread on /r9k/ where some thread had the word "dadrock" in it and faggots replying were all like "what does that term mean?!?!" and when we explained it as "rock your dads probably introduced you to, for example blahblah", they were like "so you mean only good rock? why not call it 'good rock' instead of dadrock?" etc. Fucking cringe all over

They don't all agree though. The real bad part is Reddit's system of up/downvoting that gets abused to silence out those that don't agree with someone (the up/downvoting system was for people who just did shitty posts, not for people that just didn't agree with a majority opinion)

at least there's actual discussion, even if it's filled with shitposting
if you disagree with the reddit hivemind you get downvoted and no discussion is made

That's why this website is so much better. Dissent on reddit means that your post will never be seen past the first few people who downvote it. Dissent on this website means that your post has just as much exposure as everyone else's (or you'll just get called out for baiting).

Our system leads to shitposting, theirs leads to an echochamber where you never hear any new information.

>make fun of reddit's music taste
no, we're making fun of /r/music's music taste
it's supposed to be for music discussion just like Sup Forums is

discussion is a bit of a grandiose term for what happens on Sup Forums

I agree that Sup Forums is preferable, which is why I'm still here. but the endless misanthropy and edgy shitposting does get tiring after 7 years

also if you want to get any discussion about an artist you generally have to start a thread either by memeing or talking shit about the artist in question, otherwise it gets buried in the catalog. and then by doing this you're contributing to the shitposting epidemic yourself, but it really is the only way most of the time

Yeah, moot also always hated that aspect of reddit:
youtube.com/watch?v=74TQMjY7KHQ

Link me to the last thread where you saw any actual discussion about jazz. /blindfold/ doesn't count since that's basically a Reddit thread that ended up on Sup Forums somehow

So what are some jazz albums good for beginners? Not subtle but obviously brilliant?

>link me to any example of this, apart from the regular general that i'm arbitrarily excluding because it proves me wrong

like you're so wrong you actually had to acknowledge it pre-emptively. what are you doing user

>discussion is a bit of a grandiose term for what happens on Sup Forums
Eh. Arguable. I see plenty of threads such as "name your favorite album and why", and usually the why includes some abstraction rather than just because it's good. And a lot of discussion happens in the general threads. Every website has issues. On a forum it's overzealous mods and insufferable members, on here it's 21 Pilots and Old Boots New Dirt.

>also if you want to get any discussion about an artist you generally have to start a thread either by memeing or talking shit about the artist in question, otherwise it gets buried in the catalog. and then by doing this you're contributing to the shitposting epidemic yourself, but it really is the only way most of the time

I keked pretty hard at this part but then got sad because it's really true. Whenever I make a peaceful and discussion-engaging thread about someone it'll get a few replies and I'll have to bump it or samefag it every half an hour - because people chime in discussions only when there is at least 15-20 posts and that's because then they can quote others and call them plebs/faggots etc.

So what you're saying is you can't link me to any thread with actual jazz discussion other than the /blindfold/ threads which usually only have 3-4 participants at most who use tripcodes?

literally 55 results in archive

Yeah and I'll be every one of those 55 threads is literally bursting with profound, insightful, and thought-provoking discussion about jazz right? I'm sure none of them are filled with random images of album covers, contentless shitposting, and namecalling.

>they don't count because they're not discussing them like I want them to
you're on Sup Forums you faggot, do you expect every post to be a wall of text filled with ridiculous details?

This.

what the fuck does that even mean

that user is a real poet, he made your mind hurt from thinking about his deep sentence

>it's wrong to want discussion
You're part of the problem with Sup Forums

damn...

I would say it's worth starting off with Charlie Parker, that one guy in that thread had it right by namedropping him. Poppy melodies and virtuoso jazz technique all in one with that guy.

Duke Ellington with his comp record The Blanton-Webster band is another great start to the other side of jazz that's more orchestrated and composed.

Otherwise, I don't think the jazz fusion genre in general is a bad starting point either as the increased focus on composition over technique makes it easier to understand.

I never said that you obtuse retard

Downvote

AAAAHHHHHHH

And I never said any of the shit that you've attributed to me so far in the thread

That's how this site works you acute retard

I'm not the same guy who started the discussion
>acute
so I take it you don't know what obtuse means

I like Caravan Palace's first album tho

electroswing was a literal meme genre but let's not pretend that's the reason Sup Forums hated it. Sup Forums ate up vaporwave which was just as redundant in the grand scheme of things. Sup Forums hates electroswing solely because of its actual association with reddit and its theoretical association with fedoras

Or maybe it's you who doesn't understand that words and their double meanings can sometimes be used for humorous effect.

hilarious

mooooooooooot

what did he mean by this?

t. i have no sense of humour

Let's not pretend Sup Forums is any better than reddits music board. They're both terrible but for different reasons.

hola reddit

Nah, /r/music is legitimately pleb. /r/indieheads is practically /r/Sup Forums

great comeback

He's right though

>caring about comebacks

what are you, 5 years old?

>tfw a thread making fun of reddit's taste in jazz gets more replies than any thread I've ever made trying to discuss any individual jazz album

welp, this thread has successfully descended into everything wrong with Sup Forums in the first place

grats guys

this is my favourite piano trio album

post thoughts

great comeback

hilarious

great callback

no, this is a great comeback!

t's really great. Chick corea's post-bop and avant-garde work are really underrated