Analog Synths

Are they as good as people say? Considering getting a Minibrute because it might be interesting. What about drum machines? I assume the big draw is their sound as well as the fact that you can hand-automate the inputs without an extra MIDI controller.

I've already been producing in Ableton for about six years now, already have legit VSTs (Waves, Komplete, etc.), so wondering if anyone has anything to say about analog synths, especially since it's having a resurgence(?) these days.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZyKYoQTZ084
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Analog modeling digitals are good enough now that 99% of people won't be able to tell the difference. True analogs do have a certain charm, though, if you don't mind their foibles.

There's really no practical difference, but you'll feel cool and get to support old school electrical engineers so there's that

this
it just feels really cool and I like the tactile shit of turning knobs and switches

But Microbrute is pure analog? Or no?
On the website it says, "With a 100% pure analog voice path and advanced interconnectability via MIDI, USB, CV/ GATE, this machine is a true powerhouse synthesizer that takes your sound to a new level." But is that modeling? Or are you saying that you might as well buy modeling instead of getting pure analog synths/Minibrute?

anons said you don't need an analog because a digital solution won't be perceived (sound) as any different, but you may go ahead and buy one of those for fun

When you say digital, you mean hardware synths that are digital or VSTs? Because Minibrute is pretty cheap as far as physical instruments are concerned.

Also, aren't there analog synths, like modular synths, that can't really be emulated properly on a computer? I've also heard Aphex Twin talking about how distortions on computers are too formulaic and not "real" enough for him, though I don't know if that's actually practical advice.

An actual synth is always better. Software synths can sound just as good as real ones but your computer adds another level of fickleness to live performance and they're nowhere near as fun. If you don't need to use it live it might not be a big deal though

Aphex Twin, genius as he is, is a traditionalist so don't take his word as law. Test them out yourself

he's right
analogue synths aren't "better" or "worse" than digital, or FM, or computer VSTs, but there is an undeniable difference between all of those in terms of the sound produced

whether or not your listeners will be able to hear that difference depends mostly on what kind of music you're making and how much you use effects / production to manipulate the raw sounds

I just got the gaia sh-01 so I'm pretty excited to mess around with it. it's gonna be gnarly. either way, each has it's perks. digital is the future though unfortunately.

You can get some very good hardware digital synths, Roland makes several for example.

Consider this: Rick Wakeman still uses an analog vintage moog when he tours, because they sound amazing and there's never any worry that they won't sound like the real thing--because, of course, they are the real thing. But he has to own six (6!) of them, which he rotates while touring so that the others can be worked on and maintained from the stress of touring. That gives you a good idea of the double edged sword that an analog is.

>An actual synth is always better.

wrong

I say this as the owner of a few analog synths

There isn't anything inherently and objectively better about gear

>But he has to own six (6!) of them, which he rotates while touring so that the others can be worked on and maintained from the stress of touring.
lmao
not at all representative of how owning an analogue synth is 99% of the time

yeah, they need repairs but its usually casual and there's absolutely no reason to own 6 of the same synth and its not like they need serious repair every year or something. just a quick clean and tuning

also I doubt anyone here is going to buy whatever monstrous $10,000 modular Moog from the 60s that needs that much servicing

this or nothing at all

Analog synth are cool, but for their price not at all worth it. I love them to death, but as a poorfag I can't justify them as "necessary."

purist memery
if you have the dosh, by all means go for it. or if you're after the sound of a specific filter
but claiming that those old hunk of outdated boards and wood are better than modern analog is a le wrong generation meme

dae remember when pic related was what all the cool kids were using
these "synthesizers" are ruining music

digital synths sound pretty damn close to their original counterparts. check this vid out. the only time you can hear the difference is when playing chords, at least for me anyway.
youtu.be/ZyKYoQTZ084

don't take these kinds of demos too seriously

I bet after going through all his recording methods, processing, youtube compression, and your shitty laptop speakers you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Yamaha electric keyboard and a million-dollar grand piano either

I definitely notice a minor difference but it could just be the way they're recorded.

related question
What's the best way to get live sound out of a synth?
I've been using my guitar equipment(amp, cords) to get it but I'm wondering if there's a better way

I thought they sounded pretty different actually, but I can't really tell if that's just because of differences in settings, since the details on the real Moog face are a bit hard to see.

Any amp is fine, or a PA. Preferably a clean one, though.

Does any normal, average person or poster here actually own one of these monstrosities? Or one of those wall rack modulars?

Does anyone have one of these newer Roland Boutique synths? I got the 06 coming in the mail. It'll be my first synth and I have no idea what to do with it.

>that little peice of shit

Tfw I will never have a birotron with a complete tape set

It makes me pretty sad honestly

you don't dive into owning something like that unless you have a deep and complex understanding of synthesis