What's some good Napoleonic television and/or film? I hate everyone who has ever even seen Sharpe much less liked it...

What's some good Napoleonic television and/or film? I hate everyone who has ever even seen Sharpe much less liked it, btw. Any other recs would be great, also napoleonic general?

Other urls found in this thread:

militaryhistorynow.com/2012/11/29/did-napoleons-most-feared-marshal-end-his-days-as-an-american-high-school-teacher/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you tried Hornblower?

Count of Monte Cristo

fuck you

Napoleon is a character in the movie, pleb.

That "Waterloo" masterpiece of film, dated from the 1970s if you've never laid eyes on that yet. What kills it for me though is how inflated Waterloo's importance is throughout the story. The French empire was defeated at Leipzig. Enough with the britfags perpetuating this myth that "Waterloo ended Napoleon".

Then, there's that french series where Napoleon was depicted, much to my distaste, by Cristian Clavier.

But it's true that there aren't too many movies devoted to the era. I'm still banking a bunch on there being a Ney ("the iron marshal") biopic released. What a man.
>"Venez voir comment un maréchal de France meurt" (comme see how dies a marshal of France dies) at Waterloo when charging the brits
>"Etes vous la Garde? Etes vous français?" (are you the Guard? are you french?)

also a film that women will never understand

one of the best posts ive ever read on Sup Forums

W-why?

Thank you though. My God and I express our gratitude by having given you these dubs.

it was just so open honest and informed. dont see many of those here. don't make many myself really, so im not throwing stones. just saying. great post. one of the best ive ever read.

Holy shit. I'm so sorry.

>Napoleonic

War and Peace.

You're welcome.

War & Peace

Any recs besides war and peace? Im not watching that shit

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

What he said

Best Napoleon movie ever

Voyage of No Survivors

Sharpe

There you go dipshit. Try Napoleon Dynamite while you're at it.

Time Bandits

>implying Sharpe isn't great

>"MERDE!"

>wants to discuss good Napoleonic TV & film
>immediately rejects Sharpe and War & Peace
OP is literally 12

Henry Cavill is Dantes's son in that

>All stop my decorated son

"I'm a count. Not a saint."

GOAT movie to be honest. I watched the 1976(?) one with Chamberlain as Dantes before the Caviezel one. I liked both, and while the Chamberlain one is vastly much more true to the book, I prefer the Jim one because of how damn comfy it is.

>the hundred days were irrelevant

how does it feel to be retarded?

So this guy is trying to kill the thread by making it about history but it's really about napoleonic movies and tv

Reminder that Ney survived his "execution" and went on to teach in the USA for another 20 years.

militaryhistorynow.com/2012/11/29/did-napoleons-most-feared-marshal-end-his-days-as-an-american-high-school-teacher/

>the firing squad actually shot blanks and the marshal (aware of the scheme) fooled onlookers by bursting blood packs concealed in his shirt
>The following year, history records the sudden appearance of one Peter Stuart Ney in Charleston, South Carolina. The redheaded immigrant matched the marshal’s physical description
>Marshal Ney’s father had been named Peter and his mother’s maiden name was Stuart
>According to his former students, Ney would parade and inspect them each morning, much like a field marshal might. He constantly pushed them to better themselves and had a tendency to challenge spirited and disruptive pupils to playful duels with wooden sticks
>upon learning of the death of [Napoleon] in 1821, Ney reportedly drove a knife into his own neck in a fit of grief almost killing himself
>the people of Rowan County actually knew full well the true identity of the hero in their midst and went to great lengths to cover for him
>In his final hours, Ney reportedly told those at his bedside that he was in fact the famous marshal.
>His gravestone, which still stands today in Cleveland, North Carolina, reads “A native of France and soldier of the French Revolution under Napoleon Bonaparte.”

>English people think they are "le badass" because they allied themselves with the entirety of Europe and defeated a country already done with

You must not realize how depleted of manpower France was by the Hundred Days. To exemplify that for you, do research "Marie-Louise soldier". They're the nicknames bequeathed on the 14 to 18 year old soldiers in that campaign,

You were litterary fighting against a ghost country that stood no chance.

Napoleon's sole hope was that other leaders would leave him be as emperor of France, and then was disheartened to have to fight Europe anyways when they declared war on him. The battle of Quatre-bras and Waterloo were his last ditch efforts to separate Prussians and Anglos, and hinder that they meet up.

But go on brit. Keep deluding yourself that "we won against Nappy annnn sheit".

War & Peace

some of the best posts ive ever read on Sup Forums

>I hate everyone who has ever even seen Sharpe much less liked it, btw

Fetch the horses, we've got work to do.

Why do you always say that to me? Is it mockery?

Because history remembers and continues to write about the winners. France and Napoleon were the losers.

Hornblower is fucking great.

pretty standard on /his/ tbqh

>manage to spazz out and conquer Europe with only Norway as your ally
>losers

Hmmm. Methinks you are on to something.

The Iron Marshal was Davout tho.

Damn it... Should've verified that with sources
beforehand.

Indeed, Ney became known as "the bravest of the brave" and was cheekily named "the last frenchman in Russia" for being the last soldier to tread the faulty bridge across the Berezina river with which the Grande Armée was escaping. He crossed the river that late for he'd been surveying the last of the french rearguard against the Russians, which he did pretty well. At least my ancestor surived is all I'm saying.

>The Battle of Berezina (or Beresina) took place from 26 to 29 November 1812, between the French army of Napoleon, retreating after his invasion of Russia and crossing the Berezina (near Borisov, Belarus), and the Russian armies under Mikhail Kutuzov, Peter Wittgenstein and Admiral Pavel Chichagov. The battle ended with a mixed outcome. The French suffered very heavy losses but managed to cross the river and avoid being trapped. Since then "Bérézina" has been used in French as a synonym for "disaster."

Davout was such a figure amidst the French army too. Fucker couldn't see well, so he was litterarily always in the enemy's sights and in immediate danger, for him to gaze at the battlefield better.

And his achievements at Auerstedt speak for themselves.

Here's forty shillings on the drum

Big guy

Jack of All Trades