Who made english!? I'm going to kill him

Who made english!? I'm going to kill him
What a fucking difficult language

Other urls found in this thread:

zompist.com/spell.html
jbr.me.uk/ranto/
youtube.com/watch?v=9jEPwuSYG6Y),
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Use 12 tenses(24 if count passives) is retarded. I can express the same with 3 in Russian.

But English is ridiculously easy my guy,

drink english is better i learned sure

I'm not sure I believe the "English is hard" meme. What's hard about it?

Kill yourself you dumb korean, that is the 2nd thread you make (that I saw)

dude it's pretty easy you just have to expose yourself a bit more to english speaking environments.. get yourself a english convo lesson or something

Too many vocabulary
Too arbitrary pronounce
Too many loanwords from too many countries (iron - ferrous, pig - pork (why different?), tree - arbutus )
Grammar structure

Tough - tuff
Dough - Douu

Literally only conjugation is easy.

God invented englush, why do you think the bible is written in it

This. Only Esperanto is easier.

hmmmmm

Said the rapebaby with 25 different greeting styles.

Swedish, Danish, Spanish, Italian and so on are all easier.

>too much vocabulary
I think Korean has too little vocabulary desu
In English you can can express really precise meanings thanks to the large vocabulary.

>Spanish, Italian
Fuck no, they are easy for me because of latin and even still english is easier.

Calaboca seu merda.

Spelling-wise, Italian > Spanish >> gdklafdslkjkljhsgkljhshj > French > English.

spanish>english>italian>>everything>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>french
FUCK FRENCH

Pig and pork/beef and cow are different because of the French speaking Norman rulers. They ate mostly cow and pig and asked for it by the French names. They weren't fans of chicken or fish

>What's hard about it?
0. THE SPELLING RULES ARE A FUCKING MESS.

It's the single biggest reason English is hard to learn. Seriously, when you need a set of rules like this zompist.com/spell.html to predict the pronunciation 85% of the time, you know there's something really wrong going on.

Shit is so bad that I can unironically pronounce Polish and German (considered "hard" languages) than English, after fairly less exposure. (Italian too, but it doesn't count)

1. The vowels for any single dialect are a fucking mess; pic related for General American. Tense vs. lax contrast yields contrasts like [ʊ]/[u] (book/goose) and [i]/[J]/[e] (bitch/beach); diphthongs allow vowel qualities forbidden by monophthongs as the [ä] in "bite"; and even disregarding both, you still have a serious offender in [ɛ]/[æ] (men/man).

2. Consonants are a bit less worse, but there are still some quirks like [θ] (TH in THink), [ð]~[d] (TH in THat)... and the [ɹ̠] (R/WR), that is an exotic sound by itself, but most dialects labialize to [ɹ̠ʷ] for increased difficulty.

3. Phonotactics allow some huge and awkward consonant clusters like CCCVCCC "strengths". Seriously, this is beyond Russian level. For comparison, most languages in the world allow only up to CCVC.

4. No, grammar is not as easy as you think. Possessive S vs. "of", leftover strong Germanic "strong" verbs suffering umlaut (drink-drunk, dig-dug, think-thought) in an unpredictable fashion... plus do-support, no wonders people say stuff like "did you knew?".

Italian spelling is easy even if you don't speak a Romance language - it's fairly consistent and exceptions are very rare (like Z standing both for /ts/ and /dz/ - and some people even set both apart with a crossed Z for /dz/). In general if you can pronounce it, you can write it; and if you write it, you can spell it.

Spanish is okay-ish in this regard, but for most dialects there's room for confusion with B/V, LL/Y, Z/C/S.

French spelling rules are BAD; don't get me wrong. But at least you can still predict how the words are pronounced, something not really possible in English. (COUGH COUGH "island", "machine", "chaos", "gif").

L E R N U

Add mutton and venison to the list. I'm kinda surprised horse meat is just called "horse meat" instead of, say, viande or cheval.

jbr.me.uk/ranto/
Enjoy.

>Who made english!? I'm going to kill him
The frenchman :^)

I guess you are right, maybe it's just the way i learn best that makes it easy.
You can understand english if you are exposed to it. Say you read 'chaos' and then you hear 'chaos', it's easy to make the connection.

>LL/Y, Z/C/S.
Pleb tier dialect.

Nigg portugays sucks french's balls

Rude

>>LL/Y
Yeísmo is a reality for most Spain too, you know.

For Z/C/S: even if your dialect does the distinction, there's still ZE/ZI vs. CE/CI.

Not the one you're quoting, but IMHO Portuguese is in the "gdklafdslkjkljhsgkljhshj" tier. Spelling rules are worse than Spanish, but acceptable when compared with French.

>tfw the superior English language has a precision of language and beauty of grammar unmatched in all the known world
Truly, these are marvelous times we live in
It was the Germans, actually. The same Angle/Saxon Germans that you """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""British"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" people are descended from

Portuguese makes sense even if you mispronounce the words that can have different sounds, you can't say that about french.
Most of our rules have a reason that is not lost in time (you don't even need to know them), meanwhile many french rules were created for aesthetics centuries ago and have no reason to exist now.

Sorry english was a mistake

Forgot to say that neither french nor english have the verb "estar" which is retarded on infinite levels.

>Having 2 (two) verbs for "to be"
meh, useless.

>THE SPELLING RULES ARE A FUCKING MESS
more like nonexistant

Except it's not "to be" and 50% of french is useless clunk that could be simplified.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

>yfw our language has "ser" and "estar" difference
Who /slava/ here?

To the Korean repetitive shitposter. An English speaker will also say your language is retarded and makes no difference. The language barrier is rather big. A Mandarin native will neck himself while trying to learn English grammar, because he will consider it hard, while an English native will neck himself while trying to learn Mandarin pictograms

Based.

>why is English hard?
>this nigga brings out the fucking charts and a powerpoint presentation worth of greivances.

I'm getting the vibe that you study Linguistics.

And another, itty bitty interesting information is that they are both directly traceable to Sanskrit :^)

Esperanto isn't a well-designed auxlang - grammar is still average European as fuck, phonemes and phonotactics could use a lot more work, even the vocab origins are questionable. Of course, you can't blame someone like Zamenhof for doing that since he died well before the required knowledge about language was developed... but this still doesn't make the end product "good" from a conlang perspective, you know.

>Most of our rules have a reason that is not lost in time
Except the affricates. Portuguese had a full set of them, and all that's left is the spelling. C/Ç and Z for example stood for /ts/ and /dz/ respectively, GE was /dʒe/ while JE was /ʒe/, this kind of thing.

Also etymological H.

They do exist... plenty of them. PLENTY.

Yup. And also of one those "guise lets maek an auxlang!" conlangist to boot.

English should have more letters, like the nordic languages. It would make it easier to know the pronunciation (for example, O could be used in bird and burn, instead of using two letters that are pronounced the same).

>having "to be" verb
heh, useless

What eliminated those affricates? Did accents have a role in it?
You mean both verbs in slavic languages or both languages?

More letters are an unnecessary burden. A better approach would be just making sure the most common rules are enforced, and the least common rules (specially etymology-dependent ones, like the pronunciation of Sup Forums) are phased out.

Is this the first 24letter alphabet langauge you learn koreanon?

You're probably right. The O should have been crossed, by the way.

See, even other Asians disagree

English is the simplest language in the world, even americans can master a simplified version of it.

I don't think dialects played any role, otherwise the process wouldn't affect Galician and Portuguese as a whole. It was more like the product of natural evolution:

/ts/ (spelled C, Ç) > /s/ ("caça" used to sound like "catsa"), the same as S, SS
/dz/ (spelled Z) > /z/ ("bazar" used to sound like "badzar"), the same as S
/tʃ/ (spelled CH) > /ʃ/ ("cheiro" used to sound like "tcheiro"), the same as X*
/dʒ/ (spelled G) > /ʒ/ ("gente" used to sound like "djente"), the same as J
/ks/ (spelled X*) > /s/ ("exceção" used to sound like "ekstsetsão"), same as S, SS
/gz/ (spelled X*) > /z/ ("exemplo" used to sound like "egzemplo"), same as S, Z

*X was already overburdened before that.

Interesting to note eventually some dialects regenerated them from T and D ("tia", "dia" being pronounced as "tchia", "djia").

>Interesting to note eventually some dialects regenerated them from T and D ("tia", "dia" being pronounced as "tchia", "djia").
That's what i had in mind when i asked about accents.

Ah, got it. Well, the "old" affricated fell well before (1300?) the "new" ones (1700? 1800?) appeared.

Would you prefer old english?

Even Middle English would be better - anything before the Great Vowel Shift.
But I guess OE would be easier since I know German.

We have æ (latin) and ï (french) and maybe œ (french) but we don't use it.
Our ï isn't used the same way other germanics use it.

Why? It seems much more complicated even though it shares a lot of its inflection with German that I've learned. the only thing I can see that's easier about it is lack of loanwords therefore consistent spelling and pronunciation

I've only seen it in her name (youtube.com/watch?v=9jEPwuSYG6Y), didn't know it was a legit letter in english.

Skiïng, naïve, it's just the french letter we use to separate two vowel sounds from each other. But no one uses it except occasionally newspapers or doctors.

The "complications" are pretty much the same as German, a case and three genders system. The pronunciation is simpler though - for example there's no guessing to know the "o" in "Mona" is long, while the "oo" in Moon could sound as in "poor", "book" or "goose".

>por
>buk
>gūs

Some pedants also write "coöperation", but diaeresis in English is marginal at best.

Yup. Pretend for a moment you did not know the correct pronunciation of "Moon" - which one of those would you pick? /o/, /u/ or /ū/?

I would probably pronounce it as moan.
>mohn

Most words with oo sound like moon I think

There's still too much guessing work on this, ideally you would represent all three differently.

Other poster mentioned new letters; to be honest, those wouldn't even be necessary, you could work with the already existent digraphs.

>baboon
>coon
>goon
>looney
>moon
>noon
>poon
>room
>soon
>cartoon
>vroom
>wood*
>zoom

I think we could do with æ and some of the accents and mostly just change the spelling of a lot of words

And then you have "few", "who" and "goose" that use the same vowel, and yet there's no nearby nasal.

Why not simply ae though? Special characters can be a bitch to write in some circumstances.

It's rather funny you are saying it because Koreans wouldn't be able to finish a sentence in Korean without using a word coming from Japanese.

I think it would be better for one letter to always represent the same sound

Digraphs like "ae" are fine as long as you can distinguish them from sound sequences. Or, worst hypothesis, you can also use "ah" (English forbids /h/ in non-initial position).

I guess it would work if you also change the spelling of words like aerial. There are many ways to change the writing/spelling to be more efficient

If the first vowel in "aerial" is interpretable as a sequence of two /ɛ/, a diaeresis could work.

Here's something I'm working on right now.

aC: bath, staf[staff], dans[dance]
eCC: dress, stepp[step], hemm[hem]
iC: pris[price], rip[ripe], trib[tribe]
iCC: kitt[kit], shipp[ship], dimm[dim]
oC: lot, stop, swon[swan]
uC: strut, cub, rub

ae: traep, baed, caeb
ao: brao[bra], faodher[father]
au: thaut[thought], taut, hauk[hawk]
ee: flees, seed, kee[key]
ei: feis[face], weit[weight]
oa: cloath[cloth], loang[long], coaf[cough]
oi: boi[boy], chois[choice], coin
oo: goose, whoo[who]*, foo[few]
ou: gout[goat], soul, houm[home]

ur: nurse, hurt, turm[term], wurk[work]

*certain dialects still preserve wh as distinct from /h/ and /w/, so the distinction is preserved

I don't understand why English seems hard for foreigners. As a frenchie it seems easier than French seriously.
Of course the pronunciation is kind of erratic at times, but it's not that much of an issue. You just learn about it eventually and you get used to it. Plus who really gives a shit if you don't have a perfect pronunciation, there's so many accents in English nobody cares.
Can anyone tell me what's harder in English compared to French or maybe any other language I could be familiar with ? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to brag about hur dur my language is harder than yours blababla....

I had a hell of a time learning French in middle school because of all the tenses we had to memorize, alongside all the exceptions. We were graded primarily on writing, not speaking, so it was a pain in the ass. I assume English is the same way with exceptions, so on my head they're pretty much equal

>Can anyone tell me what's harder in English compared to French or maybe any other language I could be familiar with ?
The main issue is unpredictable pronunciation. For example you have at least a half dozen ways to represent /ɛ/ in French (zèle, tête, reine, reître, vrai, baie), but when you see words with those letters/digraphs/trigraphs you can be almost sure they're pronounced as you'd expect.

English is an easy language, easier than French, but the spellling is just too inconsistent.

I don't even remember how I learned English. It just happend. I would say it is a very easy language to learn but hard to master.

It's pretty easy to learn English to make yourself understood on a basic level.

It's pretty difficult to become fluent.

What's the fastest way to learn korean? I'm trying to learn

Do exercise or diet and Come to korea then make a qt plastic korean gf

underrated