Who was the worst guitarist that ever played in a successful band?

Who was the worst guitarist that ever played in a successful band?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PIh2xe4jnpk?t=2m32s
youtube.com/watch?v=1Az2J7ONvWw
youtube.com/watch?v=cST0ruGpHi4
youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7tsqHlOyM
youtube.com/watch?v=qgnKU1y8pGc
youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuwhnrvFM
youtube.com/watch?v=w4THXeOD-Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=P-Rf1I9htJk
youtube.com/watch?v=zDVnjCwCYCs
youtube.com/watch?v=LyM4vxxu2jA
youtube.com/watch?v=2sMBiRzML-g
youtube.com/watch?v=Phd48YT18vY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Kurt Cobain

Johnny Ramone

what do kirk hammett and i have in common?

neither of us can play his solos

I've always thought he had some sort of disability.

Most punk musicians desu

>he hasn't heard Hairspray Queen

Sid Viscous ? Bucket Head? Fruscianti? any chilli pepper guitarist actusally, they suck

ohoho did you just call fruscianti a bad guitarist

am I hallucinating tonight? keys working? kaewfihwegfh;wgf;645452572 yup that's the alphabet

The guitarist in Magic!

Worst guitar solo in a #1 hit at 2:32 lol:
youtu.be/PIh2xe4jnpk?t=2m32s

You can hear in the verse he is capable enough to play.
I don't know why he chose to play the solo like that, but it inst due to a lack of skill

agreed. rude is the worst song on that album. i was impressed by other guitar work of his however

The Edge from U2 bar none

>He hasnt heard jam
Wew, thank god im not you

He's at least competent, he just never plays more than what's necessary
Does seem kind of retarded though, I remember in It Might Get Loud he didn't know his way around his own rig and had to have a tech set everything up.

Deaner easy

Gavin Rossdale

Sid hands down

Fred Durst.

Although Kurt was pretty fucking terrible.

>Buckethead

If this isn't blatant shitposting and memes, than I feel sorry for you for being so ignorant.

Everytime I would hear that on the radio and the solo came on I would cringe at how bad it is.
It's just awful, and there's no reason at all they should have put it in the song.

youtube.com/watch?v=1Az2J7ONvWw

no disrespect though

No. He's not bad, just not a "shredder". His mastery of effects pedals is bar none.

damn, what if this came out today?

it's the classic "cobain style" anti-solo where he just plays the melody of the verse. It's not necessarily that _bad_ if it weren't for the god awful effects poured on top of it.

seriously half of that sounds like a wet fart. that's what makes it so fucking awful instead of just so bland you could completely ignore it.

Leroy Bach

Noel Gallagher

richey james

That shit was just embarrassing.

Much disrespect, fuck lil lame.

there aren't even guitars in this song

why do they have a backup band

billy joe armstrong

youtube.com/watch?v=cST0ruGpHi4
post punk edge is best edge

dave navarro is better then your favorite guitarist

I heard Daron Malakian fuck up far too many times live to be called competent. Honestly, I'm dubious that it's even him playing on the albums.

He actually has some sort of disease now

Jane's addiction is cool as hell

Guy's name is Bach. He should be shredding.

>u2
>post-punk

this. Wonderwall is literally the easy song to play ever.

greg ginn

Jesus fucking Christ, that has over a billion views? Fucking kidding me?

I had no idea that was so huge. I figured it was one of those songs that got played all the time and everyone hated or was indifferent to.

Fuck's sake, I can't even think of a Beatles video that breaks 10mil. Odd world.

nice trips. i only know who the worst drummer who ever played was

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7tsqHlOyM

If bass counts, then Sid Vicious

youtube.com/watch?v=qgnKU1y8pGc

>Cobain
>bad

the dude has come up with some of the most memorable riffs in rock history, what are you on about? or is your argument just "muh technique"

Tom Delonge obviously

drugs don't enhance playing live user

Dunno about worst but pic related is probably the most overrated.

Cue pissed off teenagers who just bought their first epiphone crying about how Page is the best guitarist of all time.

Keith Richards, duh

So did Tom DeLonge. Your argument is invalid

Couldn't be more wrong

>Fruscianti
Not sure if you're taking the piss but he's one of the most colorful rhythm guitarists of all time. Lead work is and has always been terrible, though, so I'll give you that.

>His mastery of effects pedals is bar none.
Ahem *Brian May*.

In response to the thread, Lenny Kravitz is up there.

wtf man, he's really great and inventive
even I myself, not a dadrock fan, admit it

I disagree, but:
youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuwhnrvFM

>inventive
The vast majority of their biggest songs were ripped off from other, lesser known bands, so inventive isn't a good word to describe Page in particular or Led Zep in general. He's an alright riff man but his playing is soulless and he was far below the level of other rock guitarists about at the time. I have no idea why he's held in such high regard when other guitarists on the same scene at the time shit all over Jimmy. Joe Perry is one who comes to mind. Don't get me wrong, Zep are a decent rock band and Page is an alright rock guitarist, but both are horrendously overrated.

perhaps they stole song structures and lyrics, what they couldn't steal was Page's unique guitar playing, his visionary audio engineering, and his talent for arrangements
>other guitarists on the same scene at the time shit all over Jimmy
they had nothing on him as composers, arrangers and studio engineers. he's a frontman for a reason, not just another 'guitar man'

holy fucking shit

what the fuck

I mean, it's all just louie louie chords anyway. The "memorable" riffs are actually pretty fuckin basic.

>it has to be impossible to play to be good
Literally why even post?

Shit post. Fruscianti and Bucket head are pretty good desu.

The only thing unique about Page's guitar playing is that he almost always manages to sound dead. What pisses me off about him is that he's clearly capable of playing dynamically (Stairway, ffs) but his playing almost always sounds empty and emotionless. Led Zep had a decent sound as a rock band but you will never convince me that Jimmy Page is anywhere near as decent as he's made out to be. I don't doubt that he's a competent guitarist -he did his time as a session and jazz man, so the ability must be there- but, aside from the light and shade in Stairway -not to mention his one decent solo- and a fairly bright, decent take on reggae in D'yer Mak'er I've ever heard anything of his that's stood out or particularly buzzed me up.

If you can point me in the direction of something that'll prove me wrong I'll welcome it. I've tried, hard, to get into Led Zep but for the life of me I can't see what all the fuss is about beyond them being slightly more innovative than other acts around at the time and Plant having a decent, unique voice that suits their style of music.

>sounds empty and emotionless
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

He's copping Andy Summers' guitar style: Screechy, dissonant, and effect laden. Magic! will be the first to tell you they're a Police knock off band.

I always loved Ten Years Gone personally as far as strictly guitar ability goes.

He's not bad, but he's definitely overrated. Just in the Yardbirds alone there were two guitarists who pissed all over him in terms of ability (Clapton and Beck)

Just one of those things, I guess. Different strokes.

>Ten Years Gone
Good song, desu

John Frusciante easily. No contest.

name 5 guitarists you think are better than jimmy page

Chuck Schuldiner
couldn't write a single good riff and is hailed as a genius

Rhythm or lead?

any. give me your top 5 guitarists

Steve Jones had to record all of Sid's bass parts outside of ONE song on the Pistols record and they didn't plug in his bass when they played live. And literally every song is root note lines.

Who else can match that?

how's this empty and emotionless? tell me, because as I've said I'm not an LZ fan
youtube.com/watch?v=w4THXeOD-Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=P-Rf1I9htJk
youtube.com/watch?v=zDVnjCwCYCs
youtube.com/watch?v=LyM4vxxu2jA
youtube.com/watch?v=2sMBiRzML-g
youtube.com/watch?v=Phd48YT18vY

imo his strength was more in being able to play well in a lot of styles than really excelling in one. That's what you get from from working as a studio musician

Rory Gallagher (best lead, arguably most inventive)
David Gilmour (best phrasing)
Nile Rogers (best rhythm)
Robert Fripp (arguably most inventive)
Joe Perry (best riff man)
-all just IMO, obviously, and it's hard to pick just five when there are a lot of guitarists who outshine others in different ways, you know.

Not disagreeing, but how was Rory inventive?

Sid Vicious is proof that most punk is just image. Even Punk with substance that is popular is only popular for its image.

Some decent songs there, but you don't think his playing sounds hollow in comparison to the likes of Joe Perry, Randy Rhoads, Brian Robertson for example? Like I said, I'm not doubting Page's ability, his playing just sounds empty to me, like there's no heart and soul in it.

Do you play guitar, out of interest?

Seriously, no one's mentioned CC Deville? Christ.

>proof that most punk is just image
most punk was just fun, you putz

kek i remember watching this live

definitely not stephen carpenter, what the fuck

huh, I thought it's that guy from animals as leaders who's not black

Pick any big rock guitarist and ask them who their influences are and I'd bet everything I own they mention Rory Gallagher. Gallagher created a sound that almost everyone since has used or built on in some way. He was the Nikola Tesla of the guitar world.

Deaner is a guitar god

>Gallagher created a sound that almost everyone since has used or built on in some way
yeah it's called "Ritchie Blackmore sound", and it was the sound of guess who - Ritchie Blackmore, long before Gallagher's first album

On that one song his bass was mixed so low you can barely even tell it's there and I think they overdubbed it with another recording anyways.

I mean, Sid was all image. They just wanted him in the band because he looked cool, so they gave him a bass and told him to play even though he had no idea how. I think he had only played drums before. Apparently Sid did try to learn and would stay up nights playing along to the Ramones, but was mostly too fucked up to play competently.

You either haven't listened to enough Rory or you're being intentionally obtuse. That's like saying Hendrix stole Clapton's sound because he played a Cream song in his set.

again,
>basic=bad

wrong. come as you are is an objectively good riff