Is music theory a meme or actually useful if you're looking to create music?

Is music theory a meme or actually useful if you're looking to create music?

It doesn't hurt to know it of course, and it can improve your own compositions. That said, it shouldn't be seen as the be all and end all.

it is useful

/thread

The only way to make truly experimental music is to not know theory

It's not going to hurt, if that's what you're asking. Makes it easier to coordinate with other people exactly what you're looking for as well (assuming they understand music theory).

It definitely helps speed up the process. Like shit, people mention greats like Jimi Hendrix or w/e who don't know theory, right? But if they knew it, and realize that the vast majority of their tracks are all within a particular key/scale, it would've made their work so much easier.

it won't make up for a lack of ideas, but it can help you understand the ones you have

This is literally a blatant lie.

It depends what kind of music you play. I've played in multiple bands and never needed it beyond basic knowledge of what key I'm in.

Is knowing how to write a meme or actually useful if you're looking to write a novel?

Usefull af. Being able to think about progressions before writing is good no matter the genre

If you want to end up like the shaggs yeah

idk man why don't you learn music theory and report back to us

Yeah, goy, keep ignoring music theory
just play what feels right man
it's all relative anyway haha yeeea

haha right man *smokes weed*
dude that chill af yooo.. ur like mozart man haha XD *dabs*

If you are trying to create music without theory you end up using it regardless if your piece is actually listenable. All music in your library unless experimental applies theory.

but how can you know what to avoid then

yes, of course it is actually useful. just don't become bogged down by always strictly following the rules or it will become dull.

there is a difference between being naive and being experimental.

name ONE (one) good musician who has disregarded music theory

Is knowing how to cook a meme or actually useful if you're looking to cook?

Lou Reed. But then again I could name literally any musician and the response would be ">good"

Why is it then that the most boundary-pushing experimental composers almost invariably knew music theory?

Hell, I can only think of two or three really interesting experimental acts that are doing something nobody did before who don't know any theory.

The fact of the matter is that musically speaking what comes naturally to the mind is exactly what we've codified into our innate understanding of (and indeed our formalized rules of) traditional Western harmony, and unless you've grown up away from music, that sound is so ingrained into us, that it's almost impossible to break free from it instinctively - you have to do so intellectually; by abstracting various musical characteristics, and thinking about them separately from their context. That process is music theory.

>If you want to end up like the shaggs yeah
This is a good example. They created an interesting atmosphere and that's all. They were inept and were forced to record an album.
>The only way to make truly experimental music is to not know theory
What about avant-garde jazz and jazz in general?

Sacred geometry Maths, The shamanic base of all music, is the best drug there is and there ever will be, pussiesdemonrace.

"Music theory" is an EXTREMLY wide thing. It's useful for anything from creating a big hit pop single to creating a complex multi-layered musical piece.

So there answer's yes, it's useful for just about everything. Even blues.

Let's just say the music I made after learning theory was much better then it was before

yes
you need to know the rules before you can break them

you're confusing experimental art with outsider art