"Everyone has a finite number of good songs in them, and I'm not an exception. Paul McCartney...

"Everyone has a finite number of good songs in them, and I'm not an exception. Paul McCartney, one of the finest songwriters of the 20th century, has written nothing but manure for over 25 years. Rock stars over the age of 30 do not produce important material."

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/music/Oasis
youtube.com/watch?v=MCzTXmKFnnE&feature=youtu.be&t=22
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My finite number must be these DUBS

le controversial opinions man strikes again

>oasis

>implying he ever wrote a good song

kek

Based Noel

>"Traditionally speaking, the three biggest twats in any band are the singer, the keyboardist and the drummer. I don't need to say anything else."
- On Keane, a band comprised of a singer, keyboardist and drummer

>"Indie shit... Every time I read an interview by them, they're talking about their favourite music; 'Yeah, I heard a Björk B-side that was interesting'... It's either good or it's bad. So it either makes sense to your brain or it doesn't... There's no such thing as 'interesting'."
- On Block Party

>"Do you ever look at the sky and think, I'm glad I'm alive? I'm actually alive to hear the shittiest band of all time. Which is quite something when you think about it. Of all the bands that have gone before and all the bands that'll be in the future, I was around when the worst was around."
- On Sum 41

>"He was always the 'Quiet Beatle', maybe he should keep that up"
- On George Harrison, after Harrison described Oasis as "a passing fad"

>"He's like a man with a fork in a world full of soup.
- On Liam Gallagher

Michael Gira/Swans in general
Queens Of The Stone Age
My Bloody Valentine
Scott Walker (if he counts as "rock")

Are immediately artists that come to mind that prove him wrong while also having released far more important works in than his dadrock that was already outdated when it came out.

"I urge all of you to vote for Labour. If the Tories win, then Phil Collins is threatening to move back here from Switzerland and none of us wants that!"

That Keane quote is the stuff of legend

He's not wrong. The average age at which rock groups/pop stars/rappers peak is 27 and the great majority of them produced all their best and most innovative work in their 20s.

It's the drugs and lifestyle that probably exhausts them. On the flip side, classical and Jazz artists often produced their best work (or at the very least keep exploring and challenging themselves creatively) well past 30. .

Not always, Neil Young was making relevant music up to Mirror Ball, when he was pushing 50.

>Neil Young
>innovating anything after Harvest
LOLgoodone. He pretty much discovered a formula that worked for him (ie. alternate between acoustic album and electric noise rock album) and has stuck with it for the last 45 years.

Lemmy?

>Michael Gira/Swans in general
>Queens Of The Stone Age
>My Bloody Valentine
are you trying to prove his as wrong?

Steven Wilson produced better music in his 40s than Noel ever did

Must explain why Oasis did jack all after the first two albums.

I fucking hate the gallaghers. Cant wait till the kill eachother

Says the guy who had one fucking hit song and has done nothing else of note in a 30 year career

In hard rock/metal, it's kind of the unwritten rule that a band is good for about 3-4 albums before they devolve into self-parody.

>reminder that he was 45 when this was recorded

He's right.

>He's like a man with a fork in a world full of soup

Master of bants

>The average age at which rock groups/pop stars/rappers peak is 27

>Rolling Stones
Check
>The Who
Check
>Aerosmith
Check
>Kiss
Check
>RHCP
Check
>Iron Maiden
Check
>Metallica
Slightly debatable because as a studio band, their best work was in their early 20s, but as a live act and in terms of commercial/cultural relevance, the 27 rule does apply.

that sum 41 quote is so savage

Black Sabbath might be one exception to the rule because they peaked early on and by their late 20s were washed out drug addicts.

oasis were/are fucking huge you plonker

He isn't wrong and he even includes himself in it.

wtf I love Oasis now

>The average age at which rock groups/pop stars/rappers peak is 27

>Beatles
Check
>Rolling Stones
Check
>The Who
Check
>Aerosmith
Check
>Kiss
Check
>RHCP
Check
>Iron Maiden
Check
>Metallica
Slightly debatable because as a studio band, their best work was in their early 20s, but as a live act and in terms of commercial/cultural relevance, the 27 rule does apply.
>Pantera
Check
>Megadeth
Check

potato

>Ever Present Past and Dance Tonight as well as some of his work in The Firemen
>Manure

Wew

Wow really I would have thought he was 30

>hating based George

Paul Simon was one of the few 60s guys to still put out an excellent album in the 80s, although he did only release three of them during the decade unlike Bob Dylan who was totally lost and had no clue what he was doing, but the albums kept coming for some unaccountable reason.

Noel is a self-loathing fuck whos just sad because he knows he's mediocre.

Reading Christgau's Bob Dylan reviews proves what an idiot he actually is.

>gives the piece of shit Empire Burlesque and Knocked Out Loaded a B+, calling them a "return to form", while crapping on "Down In The Groove" as paint by numbers Dylan, even though it was a very nice roots rock record

>the George one

>oasis
>one hit song

Hello Noel hows it hanging
Life, I mean, not your penis n balls because you don't have em :)))

>the only bands that apply to my rules
check

>Oasis
>2017

Your number was apparently one (1).

Besides, classical and jazz artists do, plus country and blues can have some long/old careers too. Just the creatively bankrupt rock and pop genres that fail to produce.

>eight years since oasis broke up

i guess RHCP and john frusciante are an execption to that. the point is if your a drugged up waste of space, thats what you'll end up being

last.fm/music/Oasis

Oasis are massive all around the world. Gotta spread the word, Globalist Jew bitches. You'll never take us down, you degenerate parasites are going to be on the run soon.

cringe

>"Everyone has a finite number of good songs in them, and I'm not an exception."
Yeah Noel, you had 0

i wonder what does he thinks about 21 pilots

Noel wrote three decent albums with Oasis and a good debut solo album but apart from that I don't think he's really got the right to talk about anyone else's song writing skills.

"wrote"

And literally who cares? The only thing anyone will remember him for is Wonderwall?

?

>angry old british man talks the real bollocks!
oasis is the mrs browns boys of music

It's just banter. People get triggered over nothing.

Let me know when you've written as many hit songs as he has.

So one?

>Let me know when you've "written" as many" hit songs" as "he" has

You mean 23
*composed

LCD Soundsystem. Boom that argument is stupid

>Swans changing the game in the 2010s after having been a thing for 30 years
>MBV releases a record that may not be at the level of Loveless but is still far better than most of the stuff in its genre
>QOTSA actually keeps more standard sounding rock music alive with consistent quality stuff with Like Clockwork

It's literally all dadrock

>Swans
>dadrock

>You mean 23
They had 23 hits reach the Top 10. It's actually more than that though since Shakermaker, Supersonic, Slide Away, Live Forever, She's Electric, I'm Outta Time, Champagne Supernova, Morning Glory, Rock and Roll Star etc. etc. all never made the Top 10 but are/were huge hits.

How is that wrong?

Maybe in fucking bongland, but outside of that nobody knows Oasis. I've never even heard of those songs before.

>outside of that
Not relevant

>never heard Champagne Supernova
Kill yourself.

>not knowing Supersonic, Live Forever, and Champagne Supernova at the very least

Have you been living under a rock for 25 years?

Oasis is trash LMAOOO LE WONDERWALL
I SAID MAYBEEE KEKKK

- Sup Forums

>Rock stars over the age of 30 do not produce important material

>good songs

faggot

considering Sup Forums is predominately americans born after the year 2000, i'm not really surprised

(you)

What are you talking about? Oasis have numerous memorable songs from their first two albums.

Is it though? He seems to genuinely think he is the greatest songwriter of his generation. Oasis as a group claimed numerous times they were the best band ever and they had no respect for their contemporaries who were making just as good if not better music.

So you're not allowed a negative opinion of someone because you're not as successful as them? What is a music critic? Fuck off

Maybe if you're a pop producer

>So you're not allowed a negative opinion of someone because you're not as successful as them?
Well, would you consult a plumber about heart surgery?
>He seems to genuinely think he is the greatest songwriter of his generation.
He's mentioned how many of his own songs are bullshit before.

I don't get this "Oasis are a one hit wonder" meme. I grew up in Boston and Oasis definitely, albeit briefly, cracked America. They rose up through rock radio throughout 1994 and Live Forever was their first song to hit the Top 40 here in '95 and by '96 they were huge. Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger, and Champagne Supernova were back to back massive singles on mainstream pop, alternative, and rock radio stations as well as on MTV. By this point, Oasis had sold 5 million albums in the states, was on the cover of Rolling Stone, playing arenas in major cities, did MTV Unplugged, Liam and his wife were in Vanity Fair magazine, the band in the tabloids for all their antics. They fucked things up around the end of the year with Liam being drunk at the VMAs and the band cancelling the rest of their American tour.

When "D'you Know What I Mean" came out, the hype was huge because it was a new Oasis song, but it was only in the Top 40 for a few weeks because a lot of mainstream pop/Top 40 stations wouldn't play it because it was 8 minutes long and full of loud guitars and not as immediately catchy as the previous 3 singles. This, coupled with Be Here Now being incredibly disappointing overall and lingering resentment to the band's behavior in America the previous year, really killed momentum for Oasis.

Still, Be Here Now sold overall million copies in the states and Oasis managed to have another pretty popular single "Don't Go Away" at that time, though nothing compared to '96, had a concert special on MTV, and the first American leg of the tour did fairly well. But when they returned in 1998, the tide had definitely turned against them, the venues got smaller outside of Oasis mainstays like New York and Chicago, and the singles off the Masterplan compilation did well on the alternative stations, but didn't even get touched by mainstream radio.

The last time they had any big mainstream exposure in America was the premiere of the "Go Let it Out" video coupled with a disastrous Liam interview on TRL in 2000 which pretty much solidified the nail in their coffin. Even on alternative and rock radio stations, GLIO would be their last big hit there until "Lyla" and "The Shock of the Lightning" in the second half of the decade.

Still, I saw them back in 2005 at the Tweeter Center in Boston and they sold out all 20,000 seats.

I'm going to stop feeding the troll now

>"Everyone has a finite number of good songs in them, and I'm not an exception. Paul McCartney, one of the finest songwriters of the 20th century, has written nothing but manure for over 25 years. Rock stars over the age of 30 do not produce important material."

This is bullshit.

The reason that this happens is not some inherent human quality but a result of producing music under Capitalist concepts of markets.

You develop your brand name as an artist and affix some aesthetic to it and you are stuck. For the same reason that when you walk into McDonalds and expect a burger and would not be interested in McDonalds offering you Chinese Food.

This is a problem for artists who can only think in terms of branding their music and subsequently selling it.

Outside this environment where an artist might be free to explore their own musical tendencies without concern as to sales in their immediate future THEN someone can produce infinite music of quality.

Then why are you replying to me?

>disastrous
>predicted 9/11
He tried to warn you
youtube.com/watch?v=MCzTXmKFnnE&feature=youtu.be&t=22

>he hasn't listened to flaming pie
>he hasn't listened to chaos and creation in the backyard

There's no classic songs there, sorry

Even if it was dadrock, it's still good at what it does. Disproves completely Mr. total faggot loser Noel here who became completely irrelevant by the time OK Computer came out.

madman

>it's still good at what it does.
Judging by the amount of hits Oasis had, they were also good at what it does.

Nice try though
>Mr. total faggot loser Noel here who became completely irrelevant
We're still talking about him right now.

Johnny Cash has been in business since the 50s but most people these days remember the shit he did for the American series which was released nearly before his death (and after). And before anyone says that it's just covers, well, he's being doing that all of his live. But not always, The Man Comes Around was written by him and I've heard that song in so many movies/tv shows/games it's not even funny anymore.

He's right, but it's not always the case. I could say the same thing about Leonard Cohen, and Gil Scott Heron.

>Judging by the amount of hits Oasis had, they were also good at what it does.
For all of two albums, we are talking long lasting artists.

>We're still talking about him right now.
Not in any serious regard. Hell this topic probably got started with the intention to shitpost.

Just because the songs won't be played on the radio, because he's not hip anymore. That doesn't change the quality of his songwriting.

>For all of two albums
They had 23 hits over ten years in two albums? No that can't be correct. You should double check
>Not in any serious regard.
Intentions are not relevant
>That doesn't change the quality of his songwriting.
Which was not present on those two albums you mentioned

>Taking anything that Noel says seriously