ITT: Artists you've never seen discussed on Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=leew_yIVNoI
youtube.com/watch?v=0X7XzFg86To
youtube.com/watch?v=oeGiZx3vcpc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

people talk about billy corgan here all the time though

Johnny Flynn.

Tranquility Bass, he died and no one even gave a shit.

These guys.

chris weisman
youtube.com/watch?v=leew_yIVNoI

I like this everly brothers/ beatles style, but this is some of the softest shit I've ever heard.

>some of the softest shit I've ever heard
what's wrong with that?

The lack of an edge just turns me off man. I don't really dislike the music, but I wouldn't choose to put that record on in pretty much any circumstance.

Sweet Baby James [Warner Bros., 1970]

I believe I have solved the Taylor perplex, which centers around whether he was a veritable godsend with the Flying Machine, solo, or discovering the Beatles on Apple Records. The question is, which god is supposed to have sent him? Not the one in rock-and-roll heaven, that's for sure. B-

Mudslide Slim and the Blue Horizon [Warner Bros., 1971]

If even Taylor's supporters can acknowledge that his music has lost some of its drive (lost some of its _drive_?), then even a sworn enemy can acknowledge its charms. Having squandered most of his big songs on the debut, the themes here are more onanistic, more escapist by default. Bluesmen lived on the road out of economic necessity, although they often got into it, Taylor is an addict, pure and simple. A born-rich noveau star, he divides his time between the Holiday Inn and his down-home farmstead (what does he raise there, hopes?), the mean ol' existential dilemma that is his existence compelling him to take to the road, whatever sentiments he may have being undercut by the self-pitying, nasal whine that is his curse. Interesting, intricate, unlistenable. C+

One Man Dog [Warner Bros., 1973]

James Taylor with panache. C+

Gorilla [Warner Bros., 1975]

This is no better than "Mud Slide Slim" (several good songs if you care about James's agonies) or "One Man Dog" (several interesting experiments if you care about James's ideas), and although it is better than "Walking Man", so is "The Best of the Cowsills". His diehard supporters are now claiming it as a comeback. Why? Because his desecration of Marvin Gaye propelled him into the top 10? Or because they never really cared about his agonies and ideas in the first place. C

Greatest Hits [Warner Bros., 1976]

As egotists go, Taylor isn't without his virtues. A gifted guitarist, his corny drawl is actually charming if you can get used to it, and he has a knack for phrasing. That's not why he's successful. He's successful because he flaunts his sensitivity so expertly. Thus, it's inevitable that this best-of collection should short-change his sense of humor ("Chili Dog", "Cash Box"), and horror ("Knocking Around The Zoo") and preserve the disgraceful covers of "You've Got A Friend In Me" and "How Sweet It Is". C+

JT [Columbia, 1977]

James sounds both awake--worth a headline in itself--and in touch; maybe CBS gave him a clock radio for opening an account there. "Handy Man" is a transcendent sex ballad, while "I Was Only Telling a Lie" and "Secret o' Life" evoke comparison with betters on the order of the Stones and Randy Newman, so that the wimpy stuff--which still predominates--sounds merely laid-back in contrast. Best since Sweet Baby James, shit--some of this is so wry and lively and committed his real fans may find it obtrusive. B

Flag [Columbia, 1979]

What's wrong with most of these songs is that Taylor is singing them. He can sing, sure--the "Day Tripper" cover and "Is That the Way You Look" show off his amused, mildly funky self-involvement at its sharpest and sexiest. But too often the material reveals him at his sharpest and most small-minded; John Lennon might get away with "I Will Not Lie for You," but JT's whine undermines whatever honesty the sentiment may have. C+

New Moonshine [Columbia, 1991] *bomb*

Hourglass [Columbia, 1997]

"Line 'Em Up", "Walking My Baby Back Home" *choice cuts*

To be fair they have one of my favorite album covers of all time. Makes me feel very nostalgic.

Bread. Soft, fey, Mom-rock, bad 70's cliched adult contemporary, wimpy, but so goddamn smooth.

youtube.com/watch?v=0X7XzFg86To

Yeah, but you could literally just post any other of those dull and unoriginal folk rock artists or those vocal artists because we don't talk about them.

#rekt

Lester Bangs fantasized about stabbing James Taylor to death.

>SOME FOLKS CALL IT A SLING BLADE

MC Haver es Techno

Check it out lads wew

The early 70s had that big wave of singer songwriters like James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Carly Simon, etc who were mostly pretentious rich liberals with acoustic guitars that appealed to college girls who studied French literature or shit like that. They all got swept away by punk rock.

They're well known and pretty unique. Don't know why they aren't discussed here.

Christgau is right. James Taylor's voice is definitely an acquired taste.

Silencer.

youtube.com/watch?v=oeGiZx3vcpc

Good sleepy-time music.

Bread were pretty good for sappy Mumrock. Everything I Own really gives me the feels desu.

Bread [Elektra, 1969]

For years it has been my fond belief that a great rock band could be concocted of studio musicians. Professionals, you dig? Trained to communicate, with no hangups or pretensions. I was wrong because this is that group. It is super competent and super vapid, harmonizing tastefully on one well-executed "love song" after another. With a good beat, of course. If Crosby, etc. are the Limeliters of rock--and they are--then these guys are the Lettermen. C-

The Best of Bread [Elektra, 1973]

Though at times they sound like country-rock crossover of unprecedented spinelessness, this is basically prime pop--I thought "Everything I Own" was a better single than "Tumbling Dice." I only wish they reshuffled the lyrical clichés as skillfully as the musical ones. Even in fun I can't work up much feeling for an ass man as mendacious as David Gates. B

TAKIN PICTURES OF THE MAN FROM GOD

Bread were an ominous forewarning of bands like REO Speedwagon and Foreigner.

Yeah, but the difference is that Bread had some decent tunes to back it up whereas the bands that followed in their week were all gloss and no substance.

Foreigner and Journey had some fun songs if you can flip the "Off" switch on your brain. REO Speedwagon had nothing at all. One of the most boring bands to ever exist.