Sup Forums /lang/ - Language learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.com/#da/en/én)
translate.google.fi/#fi/hu/bonään),
english.stackexchange.com/
spanish.stackexchange.com/
youtu.be/q-fjnYTasdE
vocaroo.com/i/s0gJ7uM5nmrE
vocaroo.com/i/s0fi4JA6y0kG
wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=listening
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can any Hungarian tell me if "é" is pronounced like a long E as the E in "met" or the I in "/fit/ness"

hoi allemaal,
toki, jan ale o,
.i coi ro do,
вceм пpивeт

does anyone know any good books for learning Finnish? so far all the ones I've found are either retardedly slow or completely in Finnish

Neither

Try gAte or mAte

But dont ponounce it like gAYt, but rather like gAt so it is one sound and you do not move your mouth at all.

mEEt would be an í (long accent on top)

I hate ğ

bump

this, i heard no difference

>mEEt would be an í (long accent on top)

I mean the past tense of "met" like the E in internEt, just long.

also, do you think this (translate.google.com/#da/en/én) sounds like "én" would sound in Hungarian?

Nope
Completely different sounds:
>a/á try put banán (banana) into google translate
>e/é try put tehén (cow) into google translate

Sounds which are just held for longer
>i/í
>o/ó
>ö/ő
>u/ú
>ü/ű

The danish sound is okay, I could understand it if it was spoken like that but it sounds pretty weird.
Remember, all hungarian vowels are just single sounds! Don't try to pronounce them as if they were english letters

>
>The danish sound is okay
How okay though, is it just meant to be longer? Because the hungarian "é" sound exactly like that to me just a bit longer.

Does "banán" sound like this (translate.google.fi/#fi/hu/bonään), basically Á just because a long "light" A as in "mad"?

another good resource, if you don't mind the stuff being old as fuck, is archive.org. tons of neat shit related to language learning / grammars on there.

1 shh
2 shch

The length of the é and á doesnt really matter
Its difficult to describe, but I can give another example
Try the english "play" without the final y sound, ending the word in the é vowel
It is also the é in french (joué, mangé)

The á in bonään sounds almost perfect, only i can hear a dipthong. Try to keep it as one sound, but its really really close

Assuming this is Russian:
Ш - made with a curled tip of the tongue. Like English R.
Щ - made with the tongue flat. Like English SHeep.

If NOT russian, Щ is "shtsh".

Thanks, I think I get it now. Could you also google "the 1000 most common (hungarian) words" for me and list them here or link me to them? Thanks.

Easier to explain:
"e" sounds like in English "bed"; the vowel is pronounced with the mouth open, but not open enough to become an "ah". "é" is far more closed, more akin to Finnish "e", and also a bit longer.

Is there a Spanish version/site of this/like this one?
english.stackexchange.com/

spanish.stackexchange.com/ ?

Thanks

>Finn learning Hungarian unironically

This Finno-Ugrism meme has gone way too far. What do you think you are doing with your life?! Hm? You could be out there, studying genuinely useful languages, with literally hundreds of millions speakers (Spanish) or even a billion (Chinese), but instead you're wasting time with this piece of shit 10 mil meme language?
Be reasonable user. Don't waste your time. Hungarians are mediocre, selfish and extremely xenophobic. Does that sound like a nation you'd want to get to know? I didn't think so.

>Finno-Ugrism meme
Ennek semmi köze sincs a Finnugorizmushoz. Én csak szertek tanulni nyelveket. Őszintén szólva, teljesen elfelejtem.
>genuinely useful languages
I already have and still am.

>Én csak szertek tanulni nyelveket
Én csak szertek nyelveket tanulni (sounds more native)

Mit felejtesz el? Hogy milyen nyelvet tanulsz?

How the fuck do you learn to drop a native accent? I'm learning German and fully understand consonant/vowel pronunciation rules, but still have an obvious American accent if I speak.

Articulation, intonation, enunciation, one of these words probably covers what I'm talking about

>Щ - made with the tongue flat. Like English SHeep
A flat tongue would be German's soft "ch" pronunciation, English curls for "sh"

i'm the only one who's learning english?

(sorry for bad english)

Iunno but if you have any questions I'll be in this thread for a bit.

>i'm
Am I

Yes, texas, you are :(

It depends on the following sound, since English has no contrast between curling and flat tongue. Try to pronounce "sheep" and check how the tongue position is quite different from, say, "shoe".

Che, la gente en Sup Forums normalmente ya habla inglés, entonces probablemente.
[Perdón por mi español.]

>Mit felejtesz el?
Úgy értem a finnugor meme
>Hogy milyen nyelvet tanulsz?
Jenleg, spanyol és färöi. Együtt magyar persze.

>It depends on the following sound, since English has no contrast between curling and flat tongue. Try to pronounce "sheep" and check how the tongue position is quite different from, say, "shoe".
Same when I tried it. English speakers seem to struggle with the flat one when learning German so I don't think it exists anywhere in the language.

No, no, you're confusing two sounds. The "ichlaut" from German is a palatal consonant, [ç]; English has no such thing indeed.

However, the one I'm talking about is [ʃ], the palato-alveolar. It's pretty much the default sound for SH in English, and close enough to Russian [ɕ] (written Щ) to be a good replacement.

However, some English speakers pronounce it as a retroflex in words like "shoe" or "sure", to accommodate the back vowel and/or retroflex R. In English this is no issue, but in Russian it yields a different phoneme.

Also, mind you I was trying to avoid using linguistic words like that, so that's part of the reason the explanation was half-arsed.

>Ennek semmi köze sincs a Finnugorizmushoz.
Peeersze. Tudod hány ember tanul magyarul aki nem Finn vagy Észt? ....kb 2. És ez így van jól. Nem tudom mit remélsz megtalálni bennünk vagy ebben az országban, de csalódni fogsz keservesen.

pls respond.

Also if anyone has any questions about English, shoot.

>de csalódni fogsz keservesen.
miért?

Learn to use your tongue.

Mert ez egy szar ország, szar emberekkel. Tudod melyik a legnépesebb Magyar város Budapest után? London :^)
Akinek volt egy kis esze meg tőkéje már mind lelépett. Ne legyenek illúzióid ez egy korrupt maffia állam. Ugyan mi másért járna hozzánk Putyin maga? Orbán a legjobb haverja.
Az 56's hősök meg forognak a sírjukban. Életüket adták hogy oroszoktól felszabadítsák az országot ezek a faszkurvák meg önként rakják az egész nép fejét az oroszok igájába. Föl kéne akasztani mindet. De a nép se jobb mert az meg hagyja magát.
A retkes Románoknál ha hallottad - most áll a bál, félmillióan tüntetnek. Érdekes hogy egy olyan buta, egyszerű nép mint az övék képes kiállni magáért, de mi nem.
De ez csak a jéghegy csúcsa

owo

So if I understood correctly, you think the country's current situation is bad. I still think the language and history is interesting as I do with many other countries, regardless of its situation.
>szar emberekkel
Milyen? Beszélek a kormányokról, már amennyire én tudom.

Do you know any easy to read Turkish texts?

coming in to save the thread

como estais todos?
kako ste vi?
元気ですか?
sina ale pona?

上我糞。

不,你。

>duolingo polish
>JUST!

what's so JUST about it?

JUST fuck my pronouncing ability up

can't speak from experience but i've heard it's less of a departure from english than some of the other slav tongues, and one of the more mutually intelligible ones at that

Japanese. just finished learning on how to read and write hiragana. proceeding to\learn katakana

Is it true that Americans don't pronounce the t in contractions like "can't", "don't"?

kek, good luck lad.
Any reason why you picked Polish?
I'm gonna assume because you wanted to use Duolingo, and Russian is too hard.

Good work.
Even with knowing Hiragana, I recommend that you start learning basic sentence structure.
Learn how to introduce yourself, your age, where you're from, your family members etc.

In English we have something called "unreleased stops".
It appears when words end in letters like "p", "t", "g", "k" and a few others.

Basically we only "half" pronounce the letter rather than saying the full thing.
As for Americans, I believe they do the same "unreleased stop" sounds as the rest of us

i can't think of a single regional accent i've encounter that doesn't, aside from possibly ghetto negro slang

>Basically we only "half" pronounce the letter rather than saying the full thing.
ah, yeah, i suppose we don't emphasize the end of the T, i take it for granted

>i take it for granted
Yeah, I didn't really realise how often us English speakers do this until I started learning other languages and learned that unreleased stops are actually kinda rare

I thought it was a american thing because people in videos kept specifying that Americans speaking that way.

Thanks for the help

youtu.be/q-fjnYTasdE
He's from Colorado
If you ignore him talking Portuguese and watch him pronouncing the n't, you will hear it

What's the best english accent? and why irish?

>aside from possibly ghetto negro slang
how black people talk isn't slang, and is just as normal a dialect / accent as any other. like, it can't be slang if they talk that way naturally.

lape li lipu e kule wan pi pali weka jelo lon jelo pi akesi supa nena lon mani ali pi sike unpa utala li kama kili e telo e meli linja kepeken wawa kute. lape nimi li linja mute pi pipi pona ali. mu luka pi lon taso wawa li kiwen telo pi uta kon mun la nimi pan pi pona alasa jan li uta pi uta laso soweli. kala namako pi ilo kute loje li akesi e wawa mu e moku pi lon kipisi laso li open pini e tenpo pi jelo oko mun e open poka esun uta.

>If you ignore him talking Portuguese and watch him pronouncing the n't, you will hear it
yeah, i'm it didn't even occur to me that the end of the T isn't emphasized because i've heard it all my life

scottish

i also would like this

That is (mostly) correct.
explains it well
If you want to pronounce an unreleased stop, specifically an unreleased T, do this:
1) say a normal "T" as a test. See how it hits the roof? Remember that spot.
2) Now, start to say the "t", but when you hit the roof, just touch your tongue there, don't make a sound.
You've now made an unreleased t. You should practice this with simple words, like "cat" and "fat."

About a year into learning french, can read it decently. Still quite a bit of trouble listening/speaking but working at it everyday.

Hope to hit a high level by the end of the year and start back up on Japanese. Seems like an impossible goal but fun none the less.

Thanks

Also, if you want to better hear the difference between "can" and "can't" in normal conversation:
1) "can" is (normally) not stressed and the "a" is pronounced like a schwa (unless it's especially emphasized in the sentence, of course).
2) "can't" is normally stressed and the "a" is usually a normal short a.

It's usually easier to listen for that than for a missing T.

speaking and listening are the hardest parts of a language. they are also the most important

thinking of learning common lisp for the functional meme and muh top level listener
thoughts?

Tell me about it. It is so depressing watching an episode of a show in your target language that you have been studying for a year+ and it feels like they are speaking some alien language you have never heard..

>common lisp
ffs if you're going that old school go C or C++

also

I watched a video on "can & can't" and woman said that you guys emphasize the can when you want to sound negative and emphasize the main verb when it's positive

Do you have an example of what you mean here?
The only examples I can think of would change on context.
to be fair, that all depends on accent
I wouldn't say my "can't" is short.
vocaroo.com/i/s0gJ7uM5nmrE

>Seems like an impossible goal but fun none the less
iktfb
Japanese is so fucking hard
>nimi mute suli
>kepeken toki pona

i shiggy diggy
I think it varies on multiple factors
vocaroo.com/i/s0fi4JA6y0kG
Here I've recorded myself saying "I don't think you can stop a fatman when he tries to grab a hotdog".
I have an unreleased 'g' at the end of "hotdog".
It seems to be as though when the word has nothing after it, it is more likely to be an unreleased stop.
because if I say "grab" on it's own, I don't fully pronounce the 'b', but when I say "grab a hotdog, I merge the 'b' onto the next word (in this case, "a")

in turkish i can do past tense, future tense, and a whole bunch of other shit but i can hardly understand dialogues labeled as """"absolute beginner""""

>learning spanish for +2 years
>still can't make sense of conversations

¿puedes leerlo?
y escribir?
las conversaciones normalmente son rápidas en español, pero será más facil

Pajeet here,
I speak English and Hindi.
Picked up some Deutsch last sem and planning to get A1 diploma. I want to learn Russian as well. Should I get the A1 certi in German first or study both languages simultaneously?

focus on german

puedo leer y escribir aunque mi escucha es malo

>mi escucha es malo
eso me parece incorrecto
Both are rather grammar-intense languages.
My recommendation would be to focus on German first before attempting another language.

wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=listening

este es lo que use

I would get German done first

pues escucha es una palabra femenina, entonces malo tiene que ser mala

ah si, tienes razon