It's another "I try to talk myself out of wanting to be a musician" episode

>It's another "I try to talk myself out of wanting to be a musician" episode

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gY0zPfLBGpc
youtube.com/watch?v=ARX1QYvBD-A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i just wish i could find something

dropped out of uni because suicidal, quit an admin job for same reason. every job is either admin work or retail goon. zero motivation, zero inspiration, running out of money. no-one really cares or wants to help. i'm definitely gonna end up homeless and/or dead

it's another i want to make music but i fucking suck at everything i attempt to do episode

Just start making shit. If Mac DeMarco can play indie pop and make teenage girls wet while also making a living, anything is possible. Practice in your spare time and play coffee shops on the weekends. Who knows what could happen?

Make music as a hobby. Get a job so you can at the very least afford your dream. There is a higher chance you won't be living like a sewer rat.

I play music and consider myself a musician because I have fun doing it
My friend plays drums and saxophone and I play guitar bass and synth.
Its fun as hell and I'm honestly glad I don't have to deal with touring and gigging because its a pain in the ass

What sucks for me is that I want to be a singer/guitarist, as in playing simple acoustic stuff. I'm alright at playing guitar, and I can sing alright too, but I have a pretty bad vocal range that barely goes over two octaves (not counting falsetto). Also my vocal range is much more bass/baritone, while a lot of the stuff that I want to sing sounds better in tenor.

me too, being a NEET sucks but it's hard to break out if you're depressed af and have zero motivation, also quit uni and had a few shitty jobs.
homeless/suicide is a realistic future for someone with my mindset, if you don't know what you want and think you suck at everything noone can help you

Why not practice?

I don't understand how I could lack any motivation at all. I have had about 6 years worth of time where I could have learned anything so when the time comes I can try to make a living with it. Instead I wasted it all and now probably at the end of this year I'm truly fucked.

i try
i don't really know what i should practice
been playing guitar for 2 years but i still kinda suck and i can't write anything

You guys are pathetic and this is coming from a depressed neet with GAD.
Just put yourself out there. If you truly have music in you that you believe should be heard by others, you'd be going to little venues and asking the owners to book you for a night, the worst thing they can say is no.
I don't believe that any of you itt complaining about this shit have any artistic drive because you're willing to create endless excuses that stop you from creating.
Nobody says you have to create something innovative or something that will top charts.
Do something productive or stop lying to yourself about wanting to be musicians because its obvious that some of you are just romanticizing the image and aren't willing to do the work

Well what's your goal?
To become the world famous guitar player singer songwriter?
If not then you have to think about WHY you are learning guitar.
Maybe you want to record the occasional melody and through it into a DAW to work with and make a song around that.
It's okay to just play it as a hobby but if you want to try to make a living with it then you need to expand your horizons.

>mentioning Mac Demarco when discussing musical dreams
wew. You realize that dude basically won the lottery in terms of right place right time. The dude is good and funny to watch but he really is too much of an exception to bring up.

stop making excuses
your life isn't over and you need to stop acting like it is. Are you going to so something about it or are you just going to play the victim, suck the dick of the universe and let yourself fail? Becuase if you're going to do that then you should genuinely just stop trying now to save yourself the effort

Partially. He has an insane work ethic and touring schedule so I think it's a little more than that. My point was mainly that he isn't breaking new ground but is still extremely successful.

my goal is to make music as a hobby pretty much
if i get to the point where i'm decent at writing and playing stuff i can consider branching out but i mostly just want to make songs

you don't have to "graduate" into becoming a musician when you turn 18
many become artists into their 20s and even 30s, even with little previous experience

I want to add that I'm not trying to flame here, those of you complaining and making excuses are just making it worse for yourself because your mind will perpetuate this idea that "I'll never be good" or "I just can't do it". And that's pretty sad because you absolutely can do it, you're just not willing to deal with the consequences even if the benefits outweigh them, you're scared of experiencing reality and that is stopping you from achieving your goals.

i realized the only way to successfully achieve what is heard in my head, i had to do everything myself.

this is correct but saying it isn't actually that helpful

people suffering from depression and anxiety are generally fully aware of everything they're doing wrong in life, and everything they should be doing to fix it. but most of life passes you by in an obsessive trance of doing nothing productive, then suddenly 15 hours have gone and the day is over. you go over every detail in your head and panic that you're going to die having achieved nothing as you drift off to sleep. you promise yourself tomorrow will be better, you'll do a bit of practice, you'll try and record something, you'll try and search for a job, you'll try and leave the house. then tomorrow comes and nothing changes.

telling depressed people they need to change doesn't help because it's those moments of self-aware suicidal panic that are why we're even depressed in the first place. otherwise we'd just be in a constant state of bored contentment

it's key to remember that any ideas you have are effectively worthless until they're out of your head and can be shown to others

>even with little previous experience
Example?

Robbie Basho started playing guitar at 19, maybe not an example of economic success, but one of artistic success.

i just want to be able to jam psychodelic stoner metal like my favorite bands.
but i can't for the life of me whack anything even semi decent out of a pentatonic scale.
and every time im trying to practice it i just play the same uninspired shit.
the only thing that makes me happy is that i will probably reach it eventually because even when i feel like total shit i always pick the guitar the day after,i just love playing.

>Robbie Basho started playing guitar at 19
By the time he was releasing noteworthy music, he had gained the experience.

he is still an example

If you want to do then do it I don't see the biggie.
Thinking about such a big choice for so long is what makes you waste your time, you might as well throw yourself into it

He's not. He had 6 years of experience in between leaning an instrument and releasing music. not to mention he already had musical experience before that. He did not magically pick up an instrument and was noteworthy.

Try a different example.

I want to make a new genre called thought music

it's entirely conceptual and i could probably sell it big time to the artistic community

Make a smorgasbord of 10 different drug concoctions and name them as though songs, based on each mixture's effects

>tfw worked enough cash from shitty jobs to buy a midi keyboard, DAW, and mic setup.
>have at least an album's worth of material
>I can realistically have a self produced album out by this summer

Its so close I can almost taste it.

How many shows have you played?

Have fun with promotion, and getting 1 or 2 plays a month.

>i have all this
>still dont make music cause it just feels like an escape from my true passion, drawing & comics

wish i could balance both

I live in a big city (Seattle). I know the venues around here and I'm designing some posters to put up around town. I have experience singing/performing in front of crowds though, so that's not a problem.

So, that's 0 shows you're performed then?

Good luck man

I guess. Gotta start somewhere, m8.

So you've never road-tested the material? And you think you might be releasing quality music?

Do you do animations?

nah just writing/layout/drawing comics

animation was something i never had a drive for, I prefer sequential art

I've cross-medium inspired by music/band imagery, but when i actually try to do music, im not as motivated

Leave the lad alone, he can go far if he actually does it and learn

I guess if he wants to be embarrassed

Ah I see, I really enjoy making art for the random songs I upload to SC or other places. I recently was designing some cover art for an ep I'm working on, I don't have any experience with design I'm talking only using paint.net but it's really relaxing designing art for music. When making songs I have a world in mind and through shitty paint skills I can kind of represent the world visually.

All part of the journey

It doesn't haven't be. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

>tfw everything i want for making music is going to be like 15k

Guitars can be as cheap as $80 though.

Yeah, but i also pedals, amps, DAWs, audio interfaces, ect.

Or, you know, maybe there's nothing wrong with it and you just want there to be.

Not required to make music.

If you think you need it, then it's probably not real music you were making in the first place
>there's nothing wrong with amateurish garbage

>Implying it's not better than your trash

I've been making music for about 3 years now with a fucking pirated copy of FL. Let me just say the "I need to buy more gear/vsts" mindset is poison. If you can't make the most out of the VERY bare minimum then you'll never be able to make use of expensive gear.

I just need all this shit to match the sound i'm looking for. You can't make ambient lo-fi soft rock.
I'm not looking to become the next King Krule user.

See, this is my problem. My goal is to do something similar, but I've been practically bred to do music my whole life. I feel like I can't change my course now that I've made up my mind, and if I start doing music as a hobby, I'll begin to want to do it as a career. Either that or let it distract me from focusing on my career goals.

I could never understand having more than 3 or 4 pedals. At some point, ya gotta realize it's overkill.

Let me ask, have you even started making music?
It's fine to want to upgrade after a long time at the bottom if you know what you are doing, but going from: "I've never made music before to "Okay I want to make music, time to buy a shitload of stuff" is just wrong.

>I just need all this shit to match the sound i'm looking for.
How do you know if you've never tried without?

Do you think there's only 3 or 4 sounds possible from all pedals?

I have and i wasn't satisfied with the results.
I have made music, and i just want to move into a different direction and become less restricted.

all you have to do to become a musician is fucking play music you moron

and if you're playing for fame/success you're a fucking idiot, that's the wrong way to go about it. Do something because you enjoy it, if you become successful eventually that's a bonus and nothing more.

No, but if you try to incorporate more than that, it sounds like garbage.

Mind linking me examples of the sound you are going for?

It's not that simple.

thats what im saying
i have not found anybody who has either the drive, shares the ideals, or has the ability to enact on said ideals

>I have
How'd you do it? How long did you invest into it?
Sounds like you don't know anything about signal processing

yes it is. if you're doing art to become successful you're doing it wrong

Strawman.

i'm not playing that game

guess you'll never make music you fame-seeking faggot

It's an unwritten rule not to talk about aspirations as artists but it's in everyone's heads

youtube.com/watch?v=gY0zPfLBGpc
I don't have a specific example, but i'm looking for something that sounds like this. youtube.com/watch?v=ARX1QYvBD-A
I got a guitar, a usb mic, and audacity and started playing with riffs for a few minutes on and off, but it just didn't have that *click*. What i mean is that i never got that "aha!" moment. I was just always dissatisfied with the result.

Based on what?
You are only saying that because you have read countless times those exact words.
I've hear people repeat this many times. Based on what logic?
Art doesn't inherently mean some magical spiritual experience where happiness and fulfillment only comes from within. Sometimes someone would only have made something because they had the idea of fame in their head. How is that wrong.
Art is bigger than what any one person, including yourself, has to say about it.

>I got a guitar, a usb mic, and audacity and started playing with riffs for a few minutes on and off
So you really haven't tried, have you?

Projection.

Well, it wasn't full 100% investment. It was moreso attempting to record whenever i felt like it. Which usually lasted a few minutes.

I'm not sure you have looked into vst synthesizers my friend.
These days stuff like serum or massive can emulate these sounds with a little more work than what would be required if you just used hardware, the upside is that it's free.

Sounds like you are just an uninspired artist blaming a lack of tools

You're just proving my point. That music is garbage and there's no reason for him to have that many pedals.

What garbage about it?
>no reason for him to have that many pedals.
But they all make different sounds and have different effects

I know it to be true based on personal experience in the arts. I've been making obscure avant-garde films for 12 years and probably less than ~30,000 people have even seen them. if I cared about success I would've given up many years ago and missed out on many friends and positive experiences in the process. just fucking make your music and get lost in it.

[insert argumentative Sup Forums buzzword]

He could have done that with a reverb pedal and one tone pedal.

>I know it's true because of my feelings

Incorrect because there is some subtle pitch and distortion effects in the signal chain as well.

As I said, maybe you just don't understand effects

ehh kinda.
Nah. I want to use a guitar. It's more universal, so i can use it for other things. Besides, i'm a musician, not an engineer. Electronic music is beyond my grasp.

>tfw when making extremely shitty "music" with audacity,cam mic and 2 guitars

>generalizations are bad! everyone is vastly different and your personal feelings can't apply to anyone ever except yourself!

you're not special. If you're depressed or have a "void" it's probably not because you aren't famous, that's just a mask for your real problems. Fix your actual life (socially, sexually, economically, etc) and I bet you'll find that you no longer care about "success" in the arts, and can finally enjoy the actual process of making music.

>Besides, i'm a musician
You have to make music to be a musician

>Subtle
If I don't notice it, neither will the average listener.

>average listener.
There's your problem

>Everyone is the same as me!
What's your Reddit username?

So just because a musician isn't currently making music means they're not a musician? does that mean that the Beatles aren't musicans?

>does that mean that the Beatles aren't musicans?
Oh did none of them make any solo albums?

there are always exceptions, that's why it's called a 'generalization'. what I'm saying is GENERALLY accurate.

get fucked you crybaby "musician".

>Besides, i'm a musician, not an engineer
I don't make electronic music but I do incorporate those synths in my music. Like anything yes you have to learn it until it becomes useful for your craft. Anyway I'll I'm doing is trying to save you money, go down whatever path you choose user.

You can't argue with pretend artists, user. Stop trying.

No but you're saying i'm not a musician, despite the fact i have made music in the past.

Ad hominem.

Your b8 is getting old, friend.

>ad hominem

I said I'm not playing that game

I can argue against you and insult you at the same time you fucking pedant

what'd I expect from a bunch of "artists" on a music board, on Sup Forums of all places

Samefag.