I've never listened to Swans before but I'd really like to marathon their discography...

I've never listened to Swans before but I'd really like to marathon their discography. What order should I listen to them in?
Chronological or...?
Albums to avoid?

inb4 don't listen to them

This is a bit out of date, but it's still a good guide

If you're going to listen to their whole discography then why not start at the beginning?
That way you can see how the band has evolved.

This is good.

C:O?

If you listen in chronological order here's what I would do. Turn up the volume a bit, especially for the first few albums. Don't kill your ears though. Don't skip the EPs. I would recommend listening to the live albums. I would also recommend listening to World of Skin (Gira and Jarboe's side project), Jarboe's solo stuff, and Angel's of Light (Gira's Alt Country solo stuff during Swans hiatus). Listening to this chronologically basically shows Swans grow, mature, and evolve over time. My favorite era is their Goth Rock era but they haven't put out a bad album.

Will I really miss out on anything without the live albums? I usually don't like them

newer version here

great recommendations. by goth rock are you referring to love of life/white light? that's my favorite swans era as well.

public castration is a good idea is definitely mandatory. it's basically early swans at their most abrasive and soul-crushing.

Children of God is my favorite Swans album but damn that's a good album too.
Swans live albums or live albums in general?

Live in general.

seeing them live in March, what can I expect?

A lot of scene teens wearing Filth t-shirts

>marathon

33 eurobucks to see them live in a month and a half. y/n? What's their usual programme like?

?

Yes, go see them. They're incredible live. Their usual setlist is a 2-3 The Glowing Man songs, 2-3 new songs and 1 To Be Kind song. I hope you like long, hypnotic jams.

bls, I want to know what was meant by that

Company

Post-rock and company

In other words, post-rock and associates.

Well a lot of Swans live albums are REALLY good. If you really don't dig them, Public Castration is the only one you need to hear.

this doesnt mention gira's solo stuff, only angels of light

his solo stuff is godly kill-yourself-tier music

oh. I figured it was an abbreviation for some genre since all the other arrows have 2 genres. Thanks

You're welcome, user. I hope you enjoy Swans.