Bonding with your dad/son over sports thread

ITT: your sports experiences with your dad or son

So, when I was a kid, my dad and I used to do some >sitting down sports like biking and sailing, and we also skied a lot. Not my favorite sports but we had some good times, despite how conflictual we are. Sailing is honestly one of the most fun things you can do as a human.
And, you know, as I got older and teenager-er, we got further apart (divorced parents). I wasn't forced to enjoy his hobbies or his rules anymore, I got into my things, and he never made the effort to take interest in what I like.
Now he's retired and living very far from me, and I'll probably visit him in the next year, but I was thinking I needed to bond somehow artificially with him and I wanted to introduce him properly to my favorite sport: basketball.

Do you think there's a proper way to introduce an old (60) white guy to basketball?

/thread

Nobody likes you.

Never bonded with my father over sports. He was just never into them like i was.

We bonded over hunting and fishing. Which I would argue are the best two activities to bond with your father/mother/family member.

Im black.

So no dad? How about stepdads or "uncles"?

My father is a Flamengo fan, I'm a Flamengo fan, it's basically the only thing we bond over now (that and Dire Straits songs)

We used to fish, tho, that was top comfy

My father and me used to go fishing at my grandmother's farm, many of these are the best memories I have of bonding with him. He was surprisingly patient with my mistakes and smile at everything.

Now I do a lot of suff with my son (16yo), like play tenis, aikido, swimming and chess. Except fishing, that I leave to my son and my father do when they can. I'm glad they are close to each other.

About playing basketball with a novice 60yo, if I were you, I would go for a less dynamic and phisically demanding sport. It may be sort of frustrating for your father if he don't do well in front of you, and it may comprimise your bonding objective.
Or maybe I'm completely wrong, who knows... See, this thing of father/son doesn't have strict rules. Try it.

Also, sorry for my bad english. Lurker here with a long time before using the language.

TYBUD

I was never close with my dad. How do you think I ended up here ?

BASED FLAMENGO

My dad is Brazilian and my mom is American, the earliest sports memory I have is of my dad screaming at the TV when Flamengo lost to Fluminese.

Whenever we go visit my dad's family, every single male in the family will surround the TV when a game comes on.

He introduced me to tennis at a young age and I would play with him often until I turned 17 and basically quit tennis. Then at about 21 years old my interest in tennis came back and we started to go play again. I had moved away from home by then so playing once a week was also a good way to spend time with my dad.

My dad got me into football, he always played it while he was a kid and would play with me a lot.

Now that his body can't quite keep up, we watch a lot of games together.

We both support Madrid, Romanian immigrants now naturalized Americans

I'm sure TSUUUU has given you alot to celebrate over the past few years

>if I were you, I would go for a less dynamic and phisically demanding sport.
I'd probably stick to teaching basic things like how to shoot, not actually playing a match.
> It may be sort of frustrating for your father if he don't do well in front of you, and it may comprimise your bonding objective.
Possibly, yeah.

My dad played a lot of bball on the streets when he was young and we used to play all the time at the gym near our house when I was younger. Naturally, he'd beat the shit out of me, just take me to the post and school me. That was like 5-8 years ago. Right as we stopped, I was about 15 or 16 and just getting bigger and stronger and almost beating him on pure stamina, although I had no skill (never played). But I don't think I ever did legit beat him in a game of 21. He always used to like encourage me and say how his biggest goal was to have me beat him, he didn't care about the winning, he just wanted to see me get better.

It's been years since we've played and in that time he's aged a bit (the difference between a 45 year old and a 50 year old is pretty big), plus he's had a couple injuries. Over the last couple years, I've actually started playing basketball more than just occasionally and now I'm fairly solid, I can defend really well and I'm a pretty good shooter, plus my handle is aight.

I'm usually stoked about my progress, but I just know that the next time we play I'm gonna fucking roast him, idk if he'd get more than 4 points on me after years of me not getting close to beating him despite him often going easy on me. It's just gonna be a real sad moment, a nail in the coffin of our good times we had during my adolescence, and also probably a reminder of his age.

Slightly related but what is it about dad stories that makes them so damn sad? Also excuse the long ass post

>dad is a pleb at understanding football
>he thinks William, Adrien and João Mário are shut at football because they are not fast
>pay his ticket and take him to the central seats
>spend the entire game explaining why they play like they play
>we win 5-0
>he's now fully convinced about their value

It even felt better when we won the Euros.

Fyi, my father is NOT Fernando Santos.

playing golf is one of the ultimate father/son activities

Dad used to take me to baseball games and we would sit by first base and try to catch foul balls. Never got one but we always shared a laugh when some fat ass got hit with a ball for not paying attention.

I hate my Dad tbhfam

Well my wife's son came to me and said he wanted to play soccer.

I was a bit apprehensive at first. I was always a football guy as was my dad and his dad before him (I was never able to have children of my own...god's plan, I suppose).

I went to a few of his games and folks, let me tell you, I had the time of my life! Now we're even regulars at our local MLS team's matches!

I love it, my son loves it, and I know my wife loves it, getting a break from me every now and then (haha). She's even taken up swimming lessons at our house with a fantastic instructor whenever we're away.

I've never been happier.

Blaszczykowski pls

Well, the last time I've bonded with my father was during the World Cup. We went to seven games together, including the final. I've even seen him cry during England x Costa Rica. We went to other state just to see the game, that we bought even before the confirmation of the groups. Turns out that this match was at the same time as the game that would decide Italy's faith at the group. He was with a mini radio all the time, listening to the other game and suffering. He's italian, I was raised there, and I think the nazionale were the only thing that we always had in common.

I miss those days...Now we barely talk to eachother

nice post