Rio Olympics Ratings Lose Almost 50% Of London 2012 Viewers

>With a 4.0/14 rating among adults 18-49 and 16.85 million viewers for the Closing Ceremony of the Rio Games, NBC is looking at the worst Summer Olympics results in decades. Not only are fast affiliates down to the second lowest result of the 2016 Olympics for the Comcast-owned net’s primetime coverage but they took a whooping 56% fall in the key demo and dropped 44% viewershipwise from the closing of London 2012.

>NBC’s tape-delayed 8-10:30 PM coverage pulled in an 11.7/19 rating, a 31% drop from what the record-breaking closing scored in London on August 12, 2012. In fact, it is also down from Beijing 2008 too in a Games that has had plenty of Team USA gold medals but failed to gain traction on the previous Summer Olympics day after day.
deadline.com/2016/08/olympics-closing-ceremony-ratings-down-from-london-2012-big-brother-nbc-1201806786/

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--cbc-s-rio-audiences-rise-in-face-of-american-decline-130432498.html
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-08/nbcs-7-dot-65-billion-olympics-broadcast-deal-is-a-bet-on-videos-future
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c
bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36944741
japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/08/18/olympics/summer-olympics/japanese-fans-shrug-off-crime-zika-rio-look-forward-tokyos-turn/#.V70AUilrjow
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tape delay

>DUDE TAPE DELAY LMAO
>DUDE TEAM USA EVENTS ONLY LMAO
>DUDE COMMERCIALS LMAO

Nah.

I heard from someone in the US that has to do with the time zones and that a lot of people only could saw the taped stuff which makes it less interesting.

What the fuck, they're in the same fucking time zone aren't they?

Whoever told you that is stupid. Rio even purposefully held events we care about (like swimming and track) later at night so it'd be prime time television for us.

the real ratings will be coming out 2 hours later.

No, that person is a retard or you heard wrong
It's because NBC is shit and has nothing to do with anything else.

EXAMPLE: They played a tape delay of the bronze USA vs BR beach volleyball match DURING the live Ger vs BR gold medal match. They never aired the GER vs BR gold medal match on TV, only online.

So basically all NBC did was cut up USA matches in a few specific sports, show them up to 24 hours later, and add as many commercials as possible.

So the basic airtime formula

5 minute documentary sob story
1 minute some race
3 minute commercial
etc

They didn't show most sports. So it was basically all swimming, gym, male volleyball, and beach volleyball womens. ONLY sports they can cut with commercials as well, all tape delayed.

The tape delay + commercial avalanche finally got through to normies and average retards who have internet now and realized they are getting assfucked.

Before, even london, the normies didn't know that it was tape delay.

It's 100% because twitter and stuff is more popular and ameridumb women realized they are shit on by NBC.

Ah. Really makes you think.

Well at least the normies have cottoned on

Those bastards. So that was why the swimming was always 2am here.

Just how good was the BBC coverage in comparison? What about other broadcasts?

this. I'm sick of NBC's shit. Didn't even watch NBC this time around.

Everyone watched online because they're tired of NBC's dogshit coverage.

I am very happy with their streaming service, though. Other networks should take notes.

I watched a fair amount of BBC coverage. It wasn't that much better.
The German broadcaster was pretty good.

They spent over 1 billion dollars so they could do this shit

tape delay. why would anybody watch delayed events in primetime instead of live ones? especially when you can just watch the delayed events later.

also can we stop having the winter olympics in asia, 4 AM hockey games suck when i have to work

Wasn't there that race an American got gold in where he wasn't even favored to medal and then NBC didn't show it because they didn't want to make América look bad?

really makes me ponder..

>muh television ratings

>not following based SporTV 16 TV + 40 online channels live coverage

hazarding a guess here, but maybe this was NBC's (failed) idea of how to promote their cable sports network and online coverage? I guess the logic would be "if we showed everything people wanted to see on national NBC while it's live, we'd make less money than if they had to pay for NBCSN or to stream it and that leaves us less future-proofed". if so, the flaw in the logic is that it operates under the assumption that this stuff is compelling MUST-SEE viewing that people will actually go pay for other services just so they can see it. which they won't, when they can just find bootleg streams or just skip it entirely since it's not THAT important.

so in the end it would be "what is good for olympics publicity" being naturally at odds with "what is good for NBC's financial future". NBC took a risk of screwing over the viewers and bet that they'd pay up to watch this, but they didn't, so in the end it was just a low ratings mess.

cbc was pretty great although they did have a couple commentating slip ups. one thing I did notice we have an english and french cbc and the french cbc was way better with when they put their ads, english cbc would frequently miss out on a bit of action because the ads ran too long

Bob Costas please go

Serious, very very very good coverage. 10/10.
Even the gringos they hired were 10/10.

are you one of those "died like a pig" complainers

Only race I can think of like that is the 1500m and it was shown live.

This
For all their dinosaur bullshit on TV they ran a fantastic online streaming service

It's NBC's fault for being shit. I couldn't even stream their shit with my Directv account because their website is broken.

I streamed everything on CBC with a proxy. NBC got no eyeballs from me.

I was already done with NBCs bullshit at the opening ceremony. Tape delay with garbage commentary and more commercials? what did they expect

nah I thought that was hilarious, I'm talking getting our medalist's name wrong and stuff

dude Sup Forums is ded, we have internet now

Is this meta shill

hurr durr millennials dont like live sports

ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--cbc-s-rio-audiences-rise-in-face-of-american-decline-130432498.html

>tape delay

Do they think it's 1988? What's the point when you get the results online before the tape delay, international streams, etc.?

One more example where the big American businesses have outdated practices that make America live in the past.

The coverage of France Télévisions (public TV channels) was stellar in comparison. Everything was live, with several channels if several big events, tons of highlights (with the actual live commentary) posted all day long on YouTube, almost no ads, free streams of all events simultaneously, etc.

Checked

And boomers still are too dumb to get results online. Give it another decade and its ogre

lol it was so good that NBC pretty much used your broadcast for all their live streams. Dude why are your announcers so bad.

First of all, checked.

Second, they think people will just tune in because they're showing it, regardless of other streams being available.

I used CBC, BBC and some Russian streams to see the events they wouldn't cover.

Sounds like the whole thing at NBC is managed by tyrannical 58-year-old executives who never browse the Internet because they "don't see the point".

BBC 4 was clearly the best. What other TV presenter got a wedding invite out of it?

What did they have, six networks? They could have also used Esquire Network if they wanted.

IIRC USA didn't even air much. Whenever I went to watch what was on it one of the same 20 Law & Order reruns.

So it's not like space was limited. They just didn't want to air what they could because they had to add "context", in some NBC dickhead's words.

It's OVER, you idiot, OVER. Not OGRE. An OGRE (feminine ogress) is a legendary monster usually depicted as a large, hideous, manlike being that eats ordinary human beings, especially infants and children, you fool. God you're such a fucking MORON.

Adding to my pantry, I always need new pasta whether it's fresh or stale.

Pretty much all the anglo countries used the same OBS streams with only a few events having commentators the broadcast company that was airing it.

Hopefully someday OBS just broadcasts it themselves and you can just choose a stream with your language.

More like another 4 years. Hell, even 2 years.

Most olympic events are garbage that aren't worthy of bumping Law & Order. Walking? Synchronized swimming? Badminton? Why should they bump shows for that garbage?

They overpaid for this deal as well. NBC paid more for the rights to this summer's event than they did for the last NFL season. Also three times what Fox paid to broadcast the next two World Cups. The Olympics have never been that big of a money churner, NBC actually loses money. I bet they thought even if they overpaid they could just tape delay and shove in extra ads and people would watch. Guess not
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-05-08/nbcs-7-dot-65-billion-olympics-broadcast-deal-is-a-bet-on-videos-future

>deathwalk
>not the ebinnest sport of all

>also not wanting to see ultra fit qts in swimsuits

The real focus of the story of cord cutting in America shouldn't be on new ways to watch or generational shifts, it should be the established networks shitting all over themselves in stupidity.

>almost no track and field, ping pong, cycling
>cutting into events only showing American competitors
>3 channels devoted to replays of the same soccer/basketball game 24/7
>shit

it really has been a huge downhill slide. i have fond memories of network cartoons broadcast from america as a child, and over the years they gradually turned into thirty minute commercials, then were abandoned completely. sports coverage is getting shittier, no more pro wrestling events except for ROH at 3 AM on FOX, and even the late-night TV scene that used to be a shining beacon with the likes of Carson and McMahon has turned into cucked nu males like Seth Meyers and Jim Gaffigan shilling for feminazis.

and then they just blame demographic changes and regional interests for the fact that nobody wants to watch their shitty programming.

Most live streams on nbc had the same commentators that all the other Anglo countries used, including BBC, some were good some were pretty bad, the track and field guy was retarded.Some of the less popular events had no commentary at all. But at least we got everything onlinr so it could've been worse.

What did suck about NBC's live streaming online even was the quality though, 2.2Mbit/s. I know cbc streaming was 3.5, not sure about other places. Oh and you couldn't reliably watch 4 streams on 1 screen with nbc, only 2. Cbc also had some nice live stats on their streams. So even NBC's streaming was subpar. Oh and you needed a cable subscription of course.

So basically fuck NBC

This. I got better quality on CBC from the US watching on a free VPN. I got pretty decent bitrate on NBC but in what looked like 20 FPS.

BBC probably had the best quality but it was 50/50 whether I would have to deal with buffering.

I wasn't watching it on NBC but apparently they literally put commercials into longer races like the 1500m freestyle and the 5000m and 10000m track events.

If I had been watching, that would been enough to make me turn it off completely and watch a stream.

>NBC

The online streams also cut away to pole vault or long jump updates etc during the longer races. And I don't think there was a dedicated stream for the 5ks or 10ks etc like there was for the field events

Nicely meme'd

Yeah I watched those. I'm fine with not seeing the entirety of a long race, but not in favor of commercials.

I wouldn't be surprised if NBC was actually that retarded, but it would require a seriously oblivious mindset if they actually relied on getting people to buy larger cable packages when more and more people are canceling their subscriptions entirely already.

Everyone I know who actually maintains a subscription does it purely for sports and they're becoming fewer in number. There's no real point unless you're really attached to some shitty TV show and need to watch it as it airs instead of just watching a stream later.

Even then as younger people move out and into their own apartments, they might find that the cable package isn't really worth the $50-100 price point, especially when you'll spend 40% of the viewing time watching commercials.

Networks need to realize something fast, for most people it's not
>I'm going to pay for TV so I can watch sports
it's actually
>I watch sports because they're on TV

It's all about accessibility. Putting content behind a paywall just means more people not watching stuff because they aren't jumping over that wall, and that means less product exposure which means less interest in even caring about it to begin with. If major networks were the only force in play, they'd be killing sports with that mindset.

If you want people to watch your sports, you have to do everything you can to make it easy to do that. Bend over backwards for your viewers, instead of expecting them to do it for you.

What's the proper reply when someone says that? I don't want to commit a faux pas perchance someone says it to me.

>Tape delay. Tape delay everywhere.
>Talking like retards during the opening ceremony and any event they did show
>Still can't be bothered to show anything that wasn't Swimming/Beach Volleyball/Gymnastics/Track
>Commentary jerking it hard to MUH PHELPS, MUH FINAL FIVE MUH LEDECKY MUH BOLT MUH ROSS&JENNINGS everything
>Despite having more than 6 networks they could of used to show live events(they use 10 during the premier league final day) no more than 3 channels were used to show events at any given time
>Started their coverage at 9 on NBCSN/USA/etc... which was already 2 hours behind depending on certain events. NBC waited till 10 am
>god awful celebrity tier garbage segments that you would expect from E! DUDE Ryan Seacrest, Zac EffronxSimone Biles, black chick from Ghostbusters LMAO
>Ignoring other American medalists that didnt have some SJW tier dimension to them. Ex: Fuck the gold medal shooter that won the first medal for yeam USA but lets tell you why a bronze medal fencer is the greatest olympian ever because muh hijab.
>Ignore any Americans that didn't medal or even come close to top 5
>All this and other stuff lead to some of the shittiest ratings
>NBC decides to blame millennials for this

You tip your hat and go "m'lady".

"What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda", etc.

More contemporary:

>be American
>shart in mart

It seems to be the latest fad in American media to use "millennials" to explain the failure of anything.

Recently I saw an article in the financial press that basically sounded like:

>Swiss watch makers had bad results this quarter?
>well maybe that's because tech-hungry millennials don't care about watches LMAO

According to the Chinese, Rio was the worst Olympics ever. They didnt think any Olympics could ever be worse than London, but apparently Rio managed it. Maybe thats why less ppl watched.

Millennials are the new bogeyman. Most of them haven't even gotten out of college yet but have somehow managed to complete ruin the world. They're overachievers if anything.

You can easily identify an idiot when they tell that this preach Sorkin garbage resonated with them.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c

>no smog
>waters were actually not bad
>people are friendly
>chinese team choking
>amazing nature
>it's not Beijing
>Zhang pls I want to go back

I'd say Vancouver was probably the worst from the perspective of someone watching from home. There were loads of technical problems going on all the time it seemed.

It's a bit dumb to rate the Olympics based on how many medals you got though, which is definitely what the chinks are doing. I could imagine Rio being the worst from the perspective of someone who was actually there, but for the spectator at home, it wasn't all that bad.

>Most of them haven't even gotten out of college yet
You realize that pretty much everyone ITT is a millenial, right? Unless you were born before 1980, you're one too.

>people are friendly

BOOOOOOOOOOO

>a shit company run by boomers fucks up
>blames millennials

loeul

I'm not criticizing them so how is that even relevant?

It was their worst Olympics in a minute, that's for sure. Good on you for cutting them down to size, britbros.

>So I'm at home watching delayed broadcast. See mention of Lochte racing his next big race, coming later that day, and about the womens Gymnast team going for the gold. Start wondering if Lochte will get gold or if Gabby Douglas would choke again. Thinking, can't wait to see the event.

Minutes later, get notification on my phone. "Lochte gets gold again!"
"Douglas disappoints again!"

And I'm just like, "wtf..."

No need to watch it now then.

So yeah, Tape delay. Plus millions of commercials.

Already saw that video before but couldn't find it, so thanks.

The guy makes a few valid points but the whole idea is cringey and nonsensical as hell.

>Most of them haven't even gotten out of college yet
I'm 36 (born in 1980) and I'm officially considered a millennial. Although I definitely relate more to generation X (angsty slacker).

I wasn't saying you WERE criticizing them, just that millennials are older than most people think, in their mid 30s at the upper end.

I'm aware.

NBC revokes contract when?

Its not about the medals they got, or didnt get, theyre talking about organisation, facilities, security, even the food. They say that Rio being such a complete failure has allowed London to save a little face after the disaster of 2012
bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36944741

Yeah but of course they'll say that because didn't do well and they want Beijing to be considered the GOAT Olympics.

>social media users
Half the shit they complain about is the same stuff that most athletes dealt with. The fact that they're complaining about it more loudly than others can easily be attributed to their poor performance.

Like I said, I don't doubt it was the shittiest one that this generation of athletes has had to deal with, but that's not saying much. At most, these athletes have only been to London and Beijing in addition to Rio, so what a surprise that London and Rio were worse than Beijing according to Team China.

>they want Beijing to be considered the GOAT Olympics
Well to be fair, it was.

Nice meme. All I remember was the pretty Chinese girl who can't sing lipsyncing for the ugly Chinese girl who could sing at the OC. And the underage Chinese gymnasts with fake papers. Beijing was all about little Chinese girls pretending to be something they weren't.

nice proxy

>At most, these athletes have only been to London and Beijing in addition to Rio

there were athletes winning their 4th medal

In the meantime...
japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/08/18/olympics/summer-olympics/japanese-fans-shrug-off-crime-zika-rio-look-forward-tokyos-turn/#.V70AUilrjow

Yeah thanks for pointing out that exceptions exist.

NBC

refuse to watch the olympics as long as this semen slurping network owns the rights

don't make false claims and you won't be proven wrong

>big american businesses
nobody watches NBC, it's the fault of whoever gave it to them

most business here has at the very least a shred of customer consideration

What I said is true for 95% of cases. Sorry I didn't anticipate some autist being present in the thread that would take issue with my choice not to redundantly include the word "most" when anyone with a 3 digit IQ can already assume it.

Again, thanks for your contribution.

Browsing Facebook and having 'liked' Olympics or NBC basically spoiled half the events on tape delay as the headlines gave away the results.

it resonates with leftists here who like to hate their own country

it's like they're subconsciously rebelling against the father they never had

>le autism meme

now you're asspained I nullified the stupid point you were attempting to make and cast doubt on all your further claims, so you lash out because you can't handle the anger I caused you. nice

My point is still valid though. You nullified the fact that I didn't include a word unnecessarily.

This
NBC needs to wake the fuck up and smell the 21st century because we are living in the future now

their coverage was absolutely shameful, and I'm glad it's blowing up in their face, what else should we expect from a network run by fucking Comcast

It sounds more like they're shifting the blame of their underperforming athletes to the IOC. Fuck China.

Can you fuck off now Wang?