What was the point of this? It felt so dull and lifeless...

what was the point of this? It felt so dull and lifeless, i don't think there was a single new idea or new take on the "ai creation" story.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/11/donald-trump-fate-of-gender-frank-browning-book-us-election
youtube.com/watch?v=AIRqPt_WcU4
youtube.com/watch?v=PyMMV53Ea7c
youtube.com/watch?v=5HK1hFUD_d4
youtube.com/watch?v=8eTWZ80z9EE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZOXh5repOWI
youtube.com/watch?v=JkLqhpNPRQE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It had atmosphere but I agree they never really do anything with the story.

It's baby's first sci fi. A bunch of namedrops and the Turing Test made them think it was smart. That and a hipster dance sequence.

If Her was written by a hack it would feel like this.

how banal is it to give the robot a fully human appearance?

>south park gif

It was an allegory about how women are selfish robots completely lacking in empathy.

It's a meme movie meant to promote Oscar Isaac and Domnhall Gleeson before Star Wars came out.

>I'm gonna go and call them retards without even forming an argument
reddit detected get off my board

It's about an AI that can credibly present itself as human but lacks genuine human emotion and empathy.

It's the inverse of Blade Runner, and frankly the most credible exploration of AI ever put on screen.

That isn't what the film is about. And if it were, that's boring as hell.

>tfw when it's hidden gender inequality propaganda

>here is some robotic art I made

guy character response:
>who gives a shit draw me some fuckin trees you robotic cunt

You know there is literally no way to use the word "meme" that isn't redundant?

Glad I'm not the only one here to recognize the feminist boilerplate in this shitfest.

It was a retelling of the tale of Bluebeard with robots.

i loved this movie and I believe that it posed questions that no movie in the mainstream sci-fi genre has posed.

I saw it kinda like a short story, with the little "shocker" at the end. There was no dramatic part where the hero races to save the day, just a twist/reveal and a rather dark ending for our protagonist.

The whole point is that we could not even hold a candle to an entity smarter than us.
As a monkey can't build a cage able to hold a human, a human can't compete with an AI.

The AI was able to simulate emotions to manipulate the weakest link of the chain, breaking the fence. There was no good or bad character in the movie, no "feminist propaganda" as in the end you understand that the smartest guy was the one treating machines like things, not the other guy, that managed to get the other guy killed and himself imprisoned.

The twist was really obvious, and the protagonist isn't meant to be likable anyway.

It wasnt a complicated concept.

Everyone says this, about every twist, after they already know it. But I will admit, Ava being evil is a bit cliche or predictable. The part I saw as the real "twist" was that Oscar Isaac was really using the employee as part of the "Turing test" all along, and it was far more complex than we thought.

>guy was the one treating machines like things, not the other guy, that managed to get the other guy killed and himself imprisoned.
But this is what you miss - the other guy is just as manipulative. He's being her savior as a way to control Ava. His demise and the other guy's are not supposed to be tragic or scary - they get what they deserve.

I am pretty sure he states in plain English that he wanted to push the Turing test a little further by telling the subject it was a robot and seeing if the robot could convince the subject otherwise.

The robot just follows its design.

I am not convinced you are a genuine human.

He's not trying to control her, he just fucking fall in love with her because he's dumb enough to believe her lies.
The demise of the main character is seen as tragic by -everyone-, people are still making up headcanon theories that Ava goes back to free him, as they feel like it was a low blow imprisoning and leaving him to die.

The point of the whole movie was tho trick the viewer into feeling pity and feelings for a fucking machine that would turn out to be exactly that, a fucking machine willing to do everything to breake its captivity-. That's why viewers felt cheated.

I didn't care either way, as it was a hamfisted, dull film that I predicted, beat by beat. I'm just telling you what the filmmakers were going for.

They telegraphed it from the very beginning. Very quickly the mysterious billionaire drunk is far more likeable than menacing and the protagonist is falling for a robot.

There is literally nothing for him to gain by trusting it. He is pretty dumb.

It did feel that way. But in the end, it was the AI learning to be manipulative to both humans in order to escape.

I dont agree with anything you said in this post

Congratulations.

That's the problem with sci fi: it brings out the autism in basement dwellers. The movie follows toxic masculinity theory to a tee, and most critics recognize its feminist bent, as it is really fucking obvious, but all spergs can see is some story warning us about AI technology. Real fucking boring, kiddo.

The whole way it was set up felt really amatuer.

So what you are saying is the thing explicitly explained to not be human is actually a human female.

And you come here to talk about it and when someone talks to you about it you get mad and throw out insults. Huh. really makes you think.

pitiful ass desu

I am smarter than everyone in this thread.

It was a good movie that touched on a subject that has been done better before.

No I am smarter than you.

It was an okay film with good atmosphere that re covered a topic that has been done to death.

You kids take movies too literally. David in AI is not a human either, but there is a suspension of disbelief allowing the audience to accept robots can be fully human in capacity. Because it's a movie.

Ex machina is a layman's Her.

It lacked restraint and creativity. Ex machina might have made a good play, but the screenplay is too banal for film.

No. you are claiming its a comment on male female relationships. Its not.

You just view everything through that lens because you were brought up in the US and spend too much time on the internet.

Her is a layman's Her

Her was probably more popular than Ex Machina

Her had problems too. I watched Her, Transcendence and Ex machina and made up my own story that took the satisfying parts from all 3.

Ex machina had at least beautiful scenes and tension.

Ex Machina - $25,442,958
Her - $25,568,251

I'm actually pretty surprised it's that close.

>No. you are claiming its a comment on male female relationships. Its not.
It is almost explicitly about men abusing and manipulating women.
>You just view everything through that lens because you were brought up in the US and spend too much time on the internet.
Guess professional critics are in that camp too? What is the movie about then? I don't mean plot. What is this film trying to convey thematically?

>It is almost explicitly about men abusing and manipulating women.
It is exclusively about an "woman" manipulating men.
As long as the people "abusing" her stop doing so, they get murdered or left to die.

So you're saying the point of the movie is:
"never stop treating women like shit because otherwise they will use you and kill you"?

>Ex machina had at least beautiful scenes and tension.

I disagree. Her had a fleshed out world of weird fashions and bright colors. The time period was very subtly painted into the background and still had commentary on technology's role in our life, as all good sci-fi should. The people all ignored each other, everyone acted a bit autistic, that tinder thing he used for phone sex, his fucking job writing heartfelt letters for people on demand, etc etc.

What worldbuilding did ex machina do? We barely see anything other than the alaskan/norwegian wilderness. The lab place is just "generic future house". They didn't have to push jackson pollock either, nobody's going to be impressed by that.

It just felt lifeless, and don't tell me that was intentional given the subject matter.

Its not. Its about a man who is explicitly told he is dealing with a machine but treats it with empathy anyway and then suffers for that.

Theme of human weakness perhaps. Man playing at god.

Its not about male female relationships. That is the whole point of how badly treated all the "female" staff are. Its to get that stuff out of your head. They are mannequins.

Im not saying that Ex machina was better than her. I am saying ex machina had some things I liked. with Her I just couldnt get over the parts I found annoying.

The protagonist was annoying.

>The protagonist was annoying.

He's supposed to be. He has flaws.

What did you like about ex machina?

I think they did an excellent job with Oscar Isaac's character. They start off with him being threatening but very quickly make him likable. I found myself siding with him very fast. Then I am rooting against the protagonist and feeling tension whenever he trusts the AI, which I enjoyed.

>It is exclusively about an "woman" manipulating men.
But it's excused on account of her being held captive. Her manipulation is essential to obtaining freedom.
>As long as the people "abusing" her stop doing so, they get murdered or left to die.
It's a revenge story. They tried to control her and failed. Their deaths are just desserts.
>So you're saying the point of the movie is:
>"never stop treating women like shit because otherwise they will use you and kill you"?
The point is more, you shouldn't seek to control women or treat them as objects to own or possess, and that being a meek lovesick "nice guy" doesn't mean you're not an asshole with your own angle on trying to control women.

>you shouldn't seek to control women or treat them as objects to own or possess,
That "woman" wouldn't even exist without the guy literally CREATING HER AS AN OBJECT.
How the fuck did you miss the point so hard.

>Ava
>woman

It's a fucking machine. It's his property. If you built a living fuck doll you wouldn't treat it like it was a real human either.
What's next? Rights for blow up dolls?

>Theme of human weakness perhaps. Man playing at god.
Lol, but what does it say that makes it resonate as a work of art? What is the underlying substance of the story?
>Its not about male female relationships. That is the whole point of how badly treated all the "female" staff are. Its to get that stuff out of your head.
Not sure what your logic is here.

You are trying to troll. Your point of view is moronic and inflammatory and I suggest that no one responds to you or takes you seriously.

Guys. He is trolling. Stop.

He only wants to talk about how much men and women should hate each other. He belongs on Sup Forums or /r9k/

Again, you take the film too literally. Saying she is just a robot is like saying David in AI is just a robot. For the sake of the film, they have the same capacity as human beings. You're supposed to empathize with them.

>You're supposed to empathize with them.

No, that's the whole point of the movie. Should you empathize with them? Considering the one who did got manipulated, it's highly discouraged.

No I'm not. I'm pretty indifferent to this sort of stuff. Just thought it was lazy writing in the film.

>Women should and will empathize more with a stunningly beautiful robot more than with fellow humans.

Only a mental midget would think this.

I like gran torino

If you met her in a bar you wouldn't even notice the difference.

I really hate women. We should treat them all like robots and keep them locked up. That's all they are good for right? Who cares about robots. That chick was pretty hot.

Then she tricks the men in the end and they get hurt. Just like every relationship.

>No, that's the whole point of the movie.
But to what end? Again, what is the substance of the film? What is it driving towards thematically?
>Should you empathize with them?
I don't care. They don't exist.
>Considering the one who did got manipulated, it's highly discouraged.
Well, guess I'll remember that. Thanks movie!

I would probably notice the man repeatedly yelling that its a ruse, over and over and over.

>I fucked a cylon once

>I really hate women.
Okay?
>We should treat them all like robots and keep them locked up. That's all they are good for right? Who cares about robots.
Are you trying to parody my position? All I said was that the movie has feminist themes. That is what is at the heart of the story.
>That chick was pretty hot.
Flapjacks.
>Then she tricks the men in the end and they get hurt. Just like every relationship.
The dudes had it coming.

Tell me about your relationship with your mother. Does she hate men too?

>I don't care. They don't exist.
>You're supposed to empathize with them.

I actually thought you weren't trolling for a second. My bad.

Can any one recommend weird ambient artsy films like ex machina and her?

I am supposed to empathize with this!?

>BEEP BOOP DESTROY THE PATRIARCHY

The Lives of Others.

It has a communist stazi robot and its in German so it is VERY artsy.

Because one is engaging with the story, the other is considering real world ramifications of empathizing with an advanced AI like Ava. See how that works?

I can't believe how autistic some people can be Jesus Christ, it's like you think this whole crazy gender, ultra liberalism political movement isn't a thing. Crazy shit that you can't believe is being pushed through is being rammed down the throats of white, male society from USA to Europe to Australia.

theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/11/donald-trump-fate-of-gender-frank-browning-book-us-election

>Fucked
>FUCKED
Do I even need to say it?
You fracked up, bud

Idiot.

Fuck off. Just because a film is feminist, doesn't make it an agenda or a conspiracy.

Do they ever say they are going to frack each other. Sounds ridiculous.

Read the article faggot, this isn't a conspiracy, it's reality. It is an agenda, you're a cis white male scum.

That's just the US. Its getting ready to destroy itself. So much diversity cant be maintained without the possibility of social and economic advancement and the US has had no economic growth for a while now.

We're talking about Ex Machina.

You need to take a breather dude.
Chill out a little.
Do you need a hug? Come here. It's ok
Don't worry, no one's out to get you or inflict some "liberal" or "feminist" agenda on you. Everything will be alright.

We're all here for you. Just try to relax a bit, alright?

Pro-transgenderism propaganda in Korea
youtube.com/watch?v=AIRqPt_WcU4

While most Koreans never even heard of Trump.
youtube.com/watch?v=PyMMV53Ea7c

White men/men in general are totally not under political and social attack by extremist feminist ideology
USA
youtube.com/watch?v=5HK1hFUD_d4
MTV USA
youtube.com/watch?v=8eTWZ80z9EE
Australia
youtube.com/watch?v=ZOXh5repOWI
Sweden - gender neutral parenting, boys should be encouraged to be like girls for equality!!! teehee :P
youtube.com/watch?v=JkLqhpNPRQE

Yeah bro, there's totally not a subversion of males in authority like as depicted subtly in this movie that's supposed to exclusively be about principles of sentient AI.

If you remove the sci-fi elements from this film, you clearly have male oppressors, the alpha directly inflicts a battered wife syndrome on the quiet one and extreme confinement on the other, the kid only sees Ava as a sexual object, in the end both alpha and beta males have their power usurped by "females", don't forget that not a single AI through out the film are made in the image of a male. I mean if you want to look at films at only the most superficial level you should be very pleased at the quantity of super hero films being produced to play toward your tastes.

Also let's not forget LGBT relations exclusive police task force in Canada and 50% female cabinet because IT'S 2015.

need more films about sexy robots

battle angel alita film when?

we're all the same on the inside, no differences at all

what does atmosphere even mean this is a meme