How is Rio de Janeiro like? I want to move to another country but i don't really want to go too far away from here

How is Rio de Janeiro like? I want to move to another country but i don't really want to go too far away from here
And I want real answers, not carioca favela memes

If you're rich life can be amazing.
If you're not, you are stuck in bad jobs and violence.

Expensive, hot, filled with chads and extremely outgoing people that can't possibly comprehend introverts, quite beautiful in very specific areas segregated from all the violence and poverty.
It's also the state with the worst economic situation (even though the whole country is in ruins), with a massive debt that I can't even imagine being ever paid.

What if you're just middle class? I don't really believe that the whole city is divided between rich people and favelados

Doesn't sound bad 2bh

Depends on which part of the city you're talking about
The south zone is the rich one, with decent neighborhoods and high middle class people and commerce.
The north zone is straight favelas everywhere, there are some "islands" of middle class where you could live safely-ish.
the west zone is more like the north zone but with more people I guess

>I don't really believe that the whole city is divided between rich people and favelados

Middle class live in a shithole too, everything is close to a favela, but the difference is that the south have safety, and the rest doesn't have that much

How are those islands like?

So what? If i'm not living in a favela everything is alright

Keep in mind, the rats from the favela are not going to rob and murder in the favela. You see, the chief drug dealer says that's a no-no, you can't commit crime inside his hood. So they go to the rich parts, because obviously you want to rob rich people.

If you're not living in a favela you're living close to one, you are ALWAYS close to a favela (unless you're living in fucking nowhere). And being close to a favela means that the robbers will come to your neighborhood to rob you.

You don't have the money to live in the best part of Rio's capital.

It's the same where i live and i haven't been robbed once, does any of you actually live Rio?

Well, no. But my reports are fairly accurate.

You can go to Niterói, Petrópolis or Nova Friburgo, but i'm not sure if you will get a job.

go to another city

I live in the north zone, can confirm they're right

>inb4 you summon the sao Sup Forumso faggot that calls everyone a chimpzillian

Don't feed the autists.

What's considered "rich"?

Is that considered "rich" areas?

How are the Minas and Sao Paulo states like?

Do you live in a favela?

No, but they are better than the capital.

(Niterói used to good, i don't know now)

O CERO MAIS GRANDE DO MUNDO

I have a neet friend that lives in the favela. He has never been robbed but he's a shredded nigger.

I live really close to one, like a street away literally.

You Gringo!

Ni por poco

Have you ever witnessed any major crime?

>have you ever witnessed any major crime

yes, the lotto store (i don't know how these are called) near my house was robbed, i was going down the street and a guy just straight up run over me with a gun in his hand because someone had called the cops and his partner was arrested by some undercover cop in the area.
Also one bank robbery, but i was outside the bank.
I was also robbed three times, they took some money and two phones, i don't ever bother having a wallet anymore.

Rio is a beautiful city but it's got it problems..
Pro, always something to do
Con, fucking dangerous
Pro, nice people
Con, people are fake and superficial.
I live in the north of Brazil.. we have a whole different list

I guess i forgot to say this was 3-5 years ago, but it hasn't got any safer since then.

>i don't ever bother having a wallet anymore
maybe you should still, or they will shoot you, no?

As a tourist, it's legit paradise unless you are very stupid gringo tier
t. Took a bus by mistake and ended up near a favela where a kind driver stopped when he saw me with my gf and angrily yelled what the fuck are you doing here, get in I'll take you to your hotel you stupid fucks in brasilian english

Is 60k per year considered rich?

The ones that rob you from the street are usually with a knife, or they get you with some friend.
Not having a wallet in your pocket means to them you're not as rich and if you end up being robbed anyway, at least you didn't spend money on a robbed wallet

In dollars.. yes 60k in Real middle class

It feels like Barranquilla on Steroids
T. Been there

Would 60K USD be enough to let you live in the upper middle class areas?

Not rich as in millionaire rich with bitches falling on your dick, but it's pretty good considering dollar is 3,5 a real right now.

For sure

If you're talking USD, yes.
If BRL it's middle class.

A majority of Brazil lives on 40-50k BRL

No, it's upper middle class tier

60k USD per month, yes.
60k USD per year, upper middle class tier.

Ah, I thought you said no wallet meaning no cash or any valuables on you. So I thought if a robber realizes that you don't have any valuables, they may get mad and assault you.

Brazil is expensive as fuck. I paid 10 reais for a pao de queijo and a bottle of water. That shit would literally cost no more than the equivalent of 4 reais here

>they may get mad and assault you
If robber is a crackhead or if he thinks that you will fight/run after him, yes

Only in tourism cities. I would also pay 4 reais for that where I live.

Did you buy it at the beach?

Well, not exactly. It was at some sort of cafe in barra da tijuca

That's pretty cheap desu.
What's the job prospect for an American over there?

You should visit Amazonas.
People here are allot closer culturally to Columbians but still different enough to be interesting.
Used to be easier to get here when Venezuela was normal..

I live in São Paulo, and things can get pretty violent here, I'd dare to say that São Paulo is more violent than Rio, for I got my house invaded once and was assaulted once too.

I live in a rich neighborhood btw.

If you want to be comfy, go to Minas. Seriously, their history and architecture is pretty comfy. Also, good food and nice cachaça.

The cost of living there is expansive as fuck.

Well, it depends on your area.
What do you do for living?

If you can keep your 60k dollar year salary then yeah, you'll be considered almost rich here.

How does it look like for computer software?

You will find jobs but they won't pay much and you'll have to do and know a lot of things

2bh i would prefer a warmer climate and beaches and if i wanted to see the amazonas i would just stay in Colombia, but how is that region like? Do you have actual cities or just a bunch of small towns?

What about Aerospace,I heard Embraer is based in Brazil.

Don't know about Embraer, but I think that you have to be pretty good to get a job there.

Do you want a tip about moving to Brazil? Do not move it now, our unemployment rate is high.
Wait until our economy gets better, and then you may move it

Rio and SP are too expensive and you get little to no security for what you pay..
It's not really cheap here either but it's allot safer.

Embraer is the only big thing we got in the aerospace industry, everything else will pay you shit.

In fact, I'm an aerospace engineering undergrad and I'd have anal sex with a black bull if this would grant me a job in the US.

Boeing's cutoff is around 3.0 for taking employees.

Manaus is 2 million and several smaller cities with a couple 100K.
Its really spread out here much like Colombia.

3.0 gpa?

Unless you have political connections or some impressive shit to pull.
You also need a pretty fancy resume kek.

>cutoff

Yeah, not gonna happen. My grades here are shit, but it's not fair, things here are hard as fugg.

Fuck me, I'm taking quantum physics for the third time.

What's the cutoff for Embraer?

>quantum physics
shit, that sounds horrifying.

There's no such thing in Brazil. If you manage to graduate, then you're smart enough.

If you get constant B's and an occasional A then you're set here.

I honestly never heard of any official "cutoffs" for any specific US employers but I have no idea about aerospace and such.

I love this kind of threads because everyone but cariocas post in it.
They ripped you off.
Guess I arrived too late for this, I don't even know where to begin with tbqh.
Rio is a chaotic metropolis in the middle of forests, mountains and beaches. It is extremely divided, yet it isn't, as in you might find both you and your doorman eating at the same joint (happened with me) or find poor people enjoying the beach next to you. So you must understand that people in Rio usually aren't very snobbish, actually you will be looked down if you are.
>We are very proud of our culture, this century we will be reaching 5 hundred years of age, so it is a very rich history as well that you might enjoy through our music, painters, sculptures, buildings and even our accent.
>Cariocas are very direct and might come as uneducated to outsiders.
>Be polite, always. People will dislike you if you don't say" thank you", "good morning", etc right away.
>Cariocas are fitfags, if you are ripped, chances of getting laid skyrocket, unless you are very ugly.
t.handsome ex-fitfag
>Poor people are usually """"""""protestants"""""""". thanks to them we elected a stupid conman as mayor.
Petty-crime is widespread, most middle class neighborhoods are ~safe~ however from time to time violent crimes might happen. Last month we had the same criminal gang stealing 3 jewelries in 3 different middle class neighborhoods, 1 policement was even killed while working as in the security of a shopping, they were however arrested already and I bet they won't live long. Apart from those isolated situations, if you are middle class, safety problems will only come to you through the news.
Rio de Janeiro is a rich city, however job oportunities are usually scarce on quality and quantity if you are unskilled. You might consider living in a nearby city like Maricá for better cost of living if you don't have much money.

Microsoft and Apple,IBM have cutoffs too.

I'm Rio and I helped him

>you might find both you and your doorman eating at the same joint (happened with me)
Ha, that's such a Brazilian elitist thing to say.

Probably is, kek. I actually didn't know how to describe it, things here are condensed to a whole new level. I thought about saying that people danced to ghetto music, but I think this sound silly and happens worldwide, I should've said it anyway.
>I'm Rio
I'm Tijuca, nice to meet you.

Brazil is not a great place to come and work for someone else. That said there are allot of opportunities to start a business if your smart and got balls of steel.

I can tell by his post that he's a rich fuckboy

Kek, I thought I was the only carioca around here.

Ay kek man, it's 3am, I wanted to say an example of people from different social classes inside the same space and I remembered when I found my doorman eating carne de sol. in the "Feira dos Paraíbas" , when I went there with some foreign friends there I'm a Tijucano btw.

Thanks for this answer, everything it's really as i expected it to be, it's pretty similar to my city (Medellin) so i might like it
Are there any universities good universities there?

As a foreigner you should go to PUC so not to waste our taxpayer money, unless you want to live here.

Hell yeah.

UFRJ, UERJ and others, but UFRJ competes with USP for the first position on the national rankings.

You will have to do the ENEM exam to get into the Federal Universities or have a lot of money to study in FGV/PUC (the best private universities)

>have a lot of money to study in FGV
I haven't spent a dime in my whole time in FGV, just be intelligent and you are good to go.

I would actually like to stay there

Are public universities as good as the private ones?

UFRJ and UERJ

The public are the best ones, it's almost a rule, but the process to get into it is a pain in the ass for us. It took me 2 years to enter one, the competition is so high it's almost unfair.

Not so hard for you though, you can come as an exchange student, you should make some research about it.

Public Universities are better than the private universities, but there are good private ones like PUC and FGV in RJ.

You'll have to do the ENEM exam to get into Rio's Federal Universities.

UERJ have their own entrance exam though.

So with one test it's enough to apply for all universities? (except for that UERJ one)

How expensive are private schools in USD per year?

In rio, yes

It depends on the course and the University

If you go well on the entrance exam of PUC/FGV and get good grades, you will study it for free.
What course do you want to study?

Forgot to tell that PUC and FGV have their on entrance exam

I am just curious in general, but here is what I found a the PUC-rio website: in 2017 CTCH regular students must pay the total tuition of R$ 25.821,00 per term. I don't know what CTCH is but it sounds like 8K USD per semester or 16K USD per year. Pretty expensive!

Center for Theology and Human Sciences (CTCH)

PUC is expansive but it's the best private university of RJ and one of the best Brazilian universities

PUC's website have the english language option available

I didn't found the prices page on the English version, tell me the course you want to do and I will covert the value for you

What about computer science?

I visited Rio a while ago. It felt exactly like Mumbai, or any big city in India. Only difference being that Rio's poverty seems concentrated in specific areas while Mumbai is totally random. Also I noticed that Rio can be really dangerous when it comes to getting robbed, specially at night. But if you're in the right part of the city it looks and feels like a party paradise! Oh and gorgeous women.

13k~16k USD per year

Cool, thanks. So yes, it is more expensive than our average state college (which is about 7 to 9k a year), but our private schools are much more expensive (can easily cost 50k a year or more).

How safe is Mumbai? Can you get robbed there? Or just pick pockets etc?

You still can go to the UFRJ by getting 770~800 on ENEM.
Federal Universities are free.

>warmer climate
what is cartagena (de indias)?

>not ONE post saying "RIO DO BRASIL RIO IS THE BEST COME TO RIO....DU BRAZIL"

brazilians need to be more like the stereotype