/prod/

When the drop hits just right edition

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/xiq14rjw
clyp.it/z510pnzp
clyp.it/u5wnio5q
clyp.it/azcdwzuj
clyp.it/indiaymx
clyp.it/230ugodo
clyp.it/jlom200s
clyp.it/zudryok3
clyp.it/i5sdm5oy
clyp.it/asvvbimf
clyp.it/acls5orn
youtube.com/watch?v=BqfIvPQ8Dgo
clyp.it/bs2pct0l
clyp.it/abtvkfrs
clyp.it/qbaaykja
clyp.it/fc2zzssy
clyp.it/nmpi0mas
clyp.it/jqos2ruk
clyp.it/4t34siti
clyp.it/bzjc4oww
clyp.it/jp1wi2op
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here's what we have confirmed on the /prod/ album for the RPM challenge

1) wookiepop clyp.it/xiq14rjw
2) purplesound clyp.it/z510pnzp
3) memecore clyp.it/u5wnio5q
4) emo clyp.it/azcdwzuj
5) dark atmosphere d&b - Dark Nasty-Alleyway clyp.it/indiaymx
6) future house
7) bog bap? (7kt)
8) sawcore clyp.it/230ugodo
9) horror trap clyp.it/jlom200s
10) experimental-Plundered Patter 4 clyp.it/zudryok3

you have til noon March 1 to finish. Good Luck

What do I have to do to be there?

you want in? lets see your clitypit

go back and post yesterday

clyp.it/i5sdm5oy

>tfw fell for the ableton meme
why can't you even mono a track in this shitty daw jesus christ, not even speaking about the piano roll is ableton the ms paint of daws?

>clyp.it/i5sdm5oy
nice good job, what genre do you go by?

There's a device called mono, you fucking mongrel.

you get the 6th spot

>fruitymeme
he will not device us

faggot

Thank you, I'm not sure honestly, I'd say old school lo-fi tropical house? Most of my tracks have this gritty vibe.

working on this, would appreciate feedback

clyp.it/asvvbimf

I'll go by the alias 'bicicross', thanks m80.

6) old school lo-fi tropical house- ELC wahwaj-clyp.it/i5sdm5oy

dig the vibe you should take a stab at adding a cumbia element. I like it, I cannot tell a lie when the shit is poppin

>6) old school lo-fi tropical house- bicicross wahwaj-clyp.it/i5sdm5oy

these threads really went to shit long time ago

we just need 7kt to tell us what genre he's going to submit @ #7

i didnt get to the last thread in time to call these people retarded so i'm doing it now

you're all retarded

all me

clyp.it/acls5orn

Opinions /prod/?

Just started producing again

Thanks man, I'll try adding a guiro next time, that'd sound amazing.

Hey guys I need help here. Two threads ago (pic related) someone had a decent example on how to do this beat. But they used a FL daw. Thanks for the help but I need the same info in Ableton live. I tried it in live and it just sounded weird

here's the beat in question

youtube.com/watch?v=BqfIvPQ8Dgo

>blocks
I don't hear any blocks in there senpai. Sounds more like jazz swing snares.

Not that guy but I made a midi file from those drums and tried different drum sounds to no avail. Looks like a bunch of snares all jumbled up. Could it be made from loops some how? I'm looking all over google right now.

That's an Ableton Live screenshot - is that related to the clip the other user posted?

people seem more interested in shitalking each other's DAWs than actually making any goddamn music

Armand Van Helden came from more of a hip hop background so it's likely that he will have sampled most of his drum sounds from records, in any event the snares he's using are buried in comparison to the clap sounds, with the snare and clap samples cut short in most cases and the snares sounding like brush jazz snares as points out.

>ableton user is too retarded to copy a simple drum pattern
hmm, really reverbs my sends

are they stock sounds?
need better id than just rev snare
also blocks is incorrect.

>hurr you can't do a thing, it must be because you use a daw i dont liek
omg le fl masterrace amirite XDD

there's a built in plug in called utility that does just that

butthurt disableton

>making the same shitty bait post two threads in a row
is it really that hard to not feel inferior for using fl studio? other daw users never act this way

it must be very much fun to post your epic memes and your pun that you've absolutely murdered through overuse lol

>clyp.it/acls5orn
Did I get memed?

actually, i find you getting mad very amusing, thank you very much.

>clyp.it/bs2pct0l
My song after 5 years of Ableton, I want to kill myself.

I'm the guy who was having a static issue with my focusrite device.

Thank you to the user who told me to get a usb hub, solved the problem. I love you guys :).

clyp.it/zudryok3

So I converted images into sound and have used nothing but the sample in this piece.
Aside from being another minute longerany ideas where to go with this one? I feel like adding drums but that would defeat the purpose of the track.

Anyone know any tips to turn harsh sound into a drum pattern?

clyp.it/abtvkfrs

whoops wrong clyp

clyp.it/qbaaykja

Audacity>your DAW of choice

>wanting to make a song in mono
Yeah, fuck all the advances since 1955

are you autistic? Mono is still better than stereo for frequencies under 125Hz as they can disrupt the phase.

Made the shortest doom metal song ever lads

clyp.it/fc2zzssy

nah, those names are just titles for chains of sounds on the drum kit... its one of those super drum kits that can swap out samples by turning a macro.

>he doesn't use mono

How do you guys organize your samples? My folders are a mess

I like this image

drag them all to the trash

Sorry, I don't make brostep, so I don't care about "sick bass frequencies". Good for you though

You're cringe as fuck, what do you even make?

go back to comp faggot

Hey, new to electronic production.

I was wondering how producers achieve that effect you find a lot in Lo-Fi hip hop, and specifically the song Creepers by Kid Cudi. The effect is like a kick that quietens down the rest of the audio. That's a pretty bad description, but I think it'd be fun to play around with it if someone helps me figure out what it's called.

Can any one guide me on what sort of computer I need hardware wise to in to music recording/production. I understand interfaces and peripherals etc but how badass of a computer do I want?

sidechain compression with the kick drum as the sidechain

sidechain, it's used in most electronic music

Thanks for the help!

newer than 2nd gen i5 or i7
8gb ram, a shitload more if you want to use a lot of huge libraries like VSL or orchestral stuff in general
big enough SSD for OS, programs and project files
HDDs for samples and other audio
external drive for backups

pretty basic

I'm using a PC I put together 6 or 7 years ago. Depends on what VSTs you plan to use, any modern cpu should do just fine.

clyp.it/nmpi0mas

shat out this little jib over lunch today. How's the solo?

Is it bad to use the stereo/mono knob on the mastering channel to master a track? So the sound isn't as spread out?

there's more delicate ways to control your mid/side signals on the master bus, but if it works why the fuck not

>dat waveform
Mixing needs some work, think dynamics.

dead genre. Move on or gtfo

you have to be 18 to post here

Oh you fell for the image to sound meme. I've tried this before and it disappointingly always seems to turn out like shit. No amount of processing can redeem all those those unpleasant artifacts. I'd just trash it.

kinda cool actually. Clipping fetish very obv. You should listen to isqa to draw some inspiration. Get some more bass sounds in there other than that main thing. Plus moar percs

how do I make sick-ass electro like Jodey Kendrick and Dave Monolith

I have one big mega folder where I put all my packs in, and that's basically it.

I reckon the beat before it gets really noisy has potential, but it's just too busy and loud.

This helps mate, thanks

get some new content, you've posted all of these a thousand times already. but then again, here you are UMADBROing me so you're clearly not concerned with putting in effort

>tfw a child who makes brostep calls you cringe

Sure

This. In fact, just give the computer to your mom so she can email me.

don't steal my system you fucking faggot

>bitwig is gonna start charging for upgrades
What the fuck, are they hemorrhaging money or something?

too late senpai, you know those niggas from philly be

Look at a new MacBook Pro as your base line, then build a PC with as good or better specs.

clyp.it/jqos2ruk

roast me boys. do your worst

>build ups that go nowhere
>unneeded modulation
>production that can't decide between wanting to sound ultra clean or gritty
>no true feeling of rhythm
Don't worry though, I know you can do better

First-time user testing Ableton Live, so I have no idea what I'm's doing, and I'm essentially only using presets. I'm sorry.

clyp.it/4t34siti

Do your worst, and try to tell me how exactly I fucked up. Keep in mind it's supposed to sound somewhat generic

does anyone have a link for the rock band stems? ive been looking but every link i find in a forum is down or has been deleted

>build ups that go nowhere
makes sense.
>production that can't decide between wanting to sound ultra clean or gritty
extremely accurate on this one. This song was surely a challenge. I literally had two completely different songs on the same session file and tried meshing them together.

>unneeded modulation
>no true feeling of rhythm
with these I'm not sure what you're talking about, especially the former.

so you "le disableton XDD" people just respond to posts that aren't directed at you like some kind of meme-fueled hivemind?

da fuck's up with your chords, can you atleast resolve them.

who actually listens to this?

The opening sample/synth (I dont know which it is) has a chorus or phaser on it that's unnecessary. Plus the synth has a bend in it when leading to some notes which I wouldn't do
For the rhythm, once the track gets going it seems... off? The hi hats feel a little le weightless and I can't tell if you want the keys or the drums to carry the main rhythm. I struggle to find a "pocket" in it

If I was you, I'd go towards the gritty side and maybe slap a reverb with a slight modulation or use a distortion/saturator instead of vinyl crackles. And then I'd rework the hi hats and maybe the bass.

>little le weightless
I didn't mean to write that >le. I'm not a memer I swear

Don't forget to buy a Push

Maybe musics not my thing.. fml
clyp.it/bzjc4oww

Any production tips? How do I get rid of the nasal sound off the acid synth?

>Any production tips
You're not doing anything completely wrong or terrible, but what I will say is that your song could use some space. Use some reverb and maybe a pad to push things outwards a bit. I'm not familiar with acid so I don't know if they like using pads, so double check and feel things out. Your kicks could use a little oomph and there's a billion ways to achieve that so maybe watch a couple youtube vids
For the nasally sound I'm not 100% certain. Check the resonance of the filters or if you have an EQ if the higher mids are boosted or anything like that
Overall it sounds damn promising, just keep working and practicing

OMG

Those little fuck ups you hear in the middle of the riff.. My bad. Those are arpeggiated notes and they fuck it up if i hit render and dont just record the thing while it's playing.. sorry i'll see if i can upload a better version

thanks for the advice. i really needed to hear this right now

i just found out it was this flanger that was making the nasal sounding noise and i turned that off

>i'll see if i can upload a better version
I'll wait

>opening sample/synth (I dont know which it is) has a chorus or phaser on it
It was izotope vinyl, pitch mod. I bet it was probably overkill. Thanks for both posts user super helpful of someone on this site to actually explain themselves every now and then.

here it is

clyp.it/jp1wi2op

i just turned up the kicks a little bit andi added some reverb to the.. well you'll notice

perfectly not releasable but it is something i guess

I'm gonna start getting into my own productions over the next months so I'll be in these threads more often, just always practice and be open for coaching/criticism
This actually sounds pretty damn good. Not lying.
Experiment with changing the sound of the main synth. It would definitely benefit from some beefiness, and synthesis is where most producers make their own signature sound. Also, seeing as this is dance music, try to imagine how someone would actually dance to it. Little one offs and things to change up the beat can help A LOT. You already understand this (the little jangles/bells in the track) but keep improving that strength of yours.
Also mixing. Mixing will make a 5/10 track sound like a 10/10. As you get more and more comfortable with production make sure to start practicing mixing

how would you say i can make this longer? 3 minutes is not really that good imo.. maybe like 6-7 minutes long?

also what do you mean the main synth? do you mean like the riff, like the main riff? or is there something else im missing? i can change the tone of it i guess but honestly the main riff or synth is just waspXT but i'll definitely experiment with it some more